Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Self-Driving Tesla Was Involved in Fatal Crash

I'm driving since 3 weeks a C350e. It is a convenience car until my C43 will arrive. The C-Class has a Assit-Pilot system, which steers within the road lane. Means - highways, country roads are working excellent. The car slows down, speeds up and steers. Didn't had any incident so far where I would not been happy with. out of regulatory reasons the hands needs to be on the steering wheel. However - below 30km/h (traffic jam) the car drivers by itself. 

BUT - it doesn't change lanes. It doesn't turn on intersections. However - this is already a great assistant system. I'm not sure if I would need more than this. I love it already and just hope, that the system in my new Volvo is comparable good. 

All what you really need!

My Macan has the same but the steering only works for 10s then you need to grab the wheel again. That part of the system is very easily fooled by anything but perfect road conditions. The adaptative cruise controlled works very well though. Soon will be able to compare to the Mini and Range Rover systems.

SciFrog:

My Macan has the same but the steering only works for 10s then you need to grab the wheel again. That part of the system is very easily fooled by anything but perfect road conditions. The adaptative cruise controlled works very well though. Soon will be able to compare to the Mini and Range Rover systems.

I was driving the Macan, too. It is light years behind Mercedes. The system in my current car works absolutely flawless (with the required attention). 

Good to know. The Macan is almost 3 year old now...

Atzporsche:
    RC:

Especially for German Autobahns, where cars often drive over 200 kph, the Tesla S Autopilot is not capable of "dealing" with traffic situations according to them. For example: The Tesla S Autopilot wanted to move to the left lane to pass another car while another car was coming from behind at a very high speed. The driver of the Tesla had huge difficulties to move back to the right lane to avoid a crash.

That's not Autopilot, that's any car with yellow Dutch plates Smiley Smiley

SmileySmiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Tesla X P90D reviewed by German AMS. Handling is horrible but straightline perfornance is good but not that spectacular.

0-100 kph in 4.2 seconds

0-200 kph in 18.3 seconds (the Macan Turbo needs 17.8 seconds according to a review)

Also, a couple of full acceleration attempts and they ended up with a range of around 100 km. Unacceptable.

They also criticized the poor interior quality for such a car, price is in the range of a Cayenne Turbo (which would be 3 seconds faster from 0-200 kph...just saying).

Also, high speed braking performance is pretty bad: From 160 kph to 0 kph...130 meters. This is what many high performance cars need from 200 kph to 0 kph. I may be wrong but I think the Cayenne Turbo needed 137 or 140 meters from 200 to 0 kph, so the Tesla X is clearly a car made for the US but not for the Autobahn.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

In the end the Tesla is too expensive for what it offers, our loaded RR sport autobiography was 25% cheaper...

Tesla announced today it was dropping the Model S P 90D.  So the price gap between the new P100D and the 90D is an eye watering $45,000 to gain approximately 20 miles in range and a seldom use Ludicrous acceleration mode.   

Very strange move. Least to say, as I was close to get a X P90D, I would not have considered the P100D for the price they ask. The P90D was already 25% too expensive.

Too bad because the red X I saw on the road the other day looked really good.

RC:

Tesla X P90D reviewed by German AMS. Handling is horrible but straightline perfornance is good but not that spectacular.

0-100 kph in 4.2 seconds

0-200 kph in 18.3 seconds (the Macan Turbo needs 17.8 seconds according to a review)

Also, a couple of full acceleration attempts and they ended up with a range of around 100 km. Unacceptable.

They also criticized the poor interior quality for such a car, price is in the range of a Cayenne Turbo (which would be 3 seconds faster from 0-200 kph...just saying).

Also, high speed braking performance is pretty bad: From 160 kph to 0 kph...130 meters. This is what many high performance cars need from 200 kph to 0 kph. I may be wrong but I think the Cayenne Turbo needed 137 or 140 meters from 200 to 0 kph, so the Tesla X is clearly a car made for the US but not for the Autobahn.

I almost bought one, but the silly fact of the fixed rear seats was killing the deal. However - I like the car. 

I agree what you are saying, but when buying a Tesla you don't buy a Autobahn racer. The car must be driven economical. Otherwise you can't achieve range. As you know, I drive weekly on the Autobahn. To avoid stress I'm today the one sitting on the right lane with 130. I very rarely speed, so I kind of could live the economical driving style. BTW - ever seen a Tesla one the left Autobahn lane speeding? I only see them sticking to the right driving like grandpa Smiley

Regarding interior - I still think that Tesla makes a great job. The car looks very valuable inside. The only thing bothering me is that they don't sell any leather seats. Whenever I had a Mercedes loaner car with those "artico-seats" I was sweating my shirts wet. I'm sure same happens in a Tesla (that's why they offer those ventilated seats). Other than that - car looks valuable. 

Regarding exterior - it looks "ok", but it is not beautiful nor a stunner! Looks like an older version of the Volkswagen Sharan.

Apropos speeding - even when testdriving I could feel that your acceleration already slows down once you hit the 100km/h. It feels like a rubber band which looses the tension after a while. Also - you only have one run, the second time the acceleration is much slower, third time the acceleration is on a level of a low class Diesel car. The batteries don't like those games and can't deliver fast enough the electricity to the capacitors sitting between batteries and engine. So - nice feel with the 0-100 but only one time and only up to 100, then the show is over!

Today I still like the Tesla - but I don't regret that I didn't order one. I also have the Tesla 3 on order, but most likely I will pass on it.

Saw a Tesla X live in Austria last week. Not a fan, wife actually hates it ("looks like a Minivan..."). So one car more off our family car "bucket list". Smiley She doesn't like the Q7 either (actually, I like the SQ7...), so right now, we are thinking about a next gen Cayenne Turbo to replace her Macan Turbo if we consider that we need a family car end of next year. Plan was rather to take over my 991 GTS Cab but I'm not so sure about that anymore.

Actually, we didn't want to get another family car because the kids are older and we don't do many trips by car anymore but over the past couple of months, the kids wanted to join us on weekends more often than we bargained for (not that we didn't like it, we seem to be their "best friends") but that last trip to Austria last week in the Macan Turbo was a real eye opener. For the first time I heard my wife regretting getting a Macan instead of a Cayenne.

Don't even ask how I managed to put that much luggage (incl. skis!) into the Macan, it took me half an hour to "micromanage" how to put the luggage into the trunk (we also had two cabin trolleys inside the car, kids didn't really feel comfortable). The Jeep didn't have winter tires yet and I was afraid that it could snow (we were at the Kitzsteinhorn), so we had no choice other than driving in the Macan.

IMG_0321.JPG

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I don't get it. You went skiing where there was no snow?

noone1:

I don't get it. You went skiing where there was no snow?

Kitzsteinhorn...lots of snow... Smiley (the advantage of a glacier...)

--

You don't need suitcases for such a trip. Smaller bags are best option to fit more in the car.

Well done to put that much luggage into the Macan. Just - is that a computer box on the top? Leaving the paperbox at home would have saved some space 

wantone:

You don't need suitcases for such a trip. Smaller bags are best option to fit more in the car.

Don't bother. RC insists his wife can't travel with less than a years worth of clothes.

Lars997:

Well done to put that much luggage into the Macan. Just - is that a computer box on the top? Leaving the paperbox at home would have saved some space 

I ordered a laptop which got delivered to Austria, so I had to take it home with me...in a secure package. 

My wife also bought a couple of ski outfits, my son bought himself a self balancing scooter (one of those who love to explode when charged Smiley...just kidding...latest generation with certified Samsung batteries and 2016 build...not that it sounds much safer Smiley) and my daughter had half of her school books with her. Smiley

The rear hatch of the Macan was under a lot of pressure (I had to press it to close...), so I am pretty sure I won't do that again. Just imagine the rear hatch opening on the Autobahn while I'm doing 200 kph or in fact any speed. Smiley

--

noone1:
    wantone:

Don't bother. RC insists his wife can't travel with less than a years worth of clothes.

At least two different outfits per day plus tons of shoes. Smiley 

This time however, I had to leave her snowboard behind but she rented one, no problem.

She had two ski helmets with her though...to fit her outfits. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:

it took me half an hour to "micromanage" how to put the luggage into the trunk

IMG_0321.JPG

--

Hahaha,,

The rear view mirror was useless then Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

I dont even know how 4 people can fit enough luggage in a Macan to go skiing. Nice job RC.

SciFrog:

I dont even know how 4 people can fit enough luggage in a Macan to go skiing. Nice job RC.

I should patent my "method". Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    Lars997:

I ordered a laptop which got delivered to Austria, so I had to take it home with me...in a secure package. 

My wife also bought a couple of ski outfits, my son bought himself a self balancing scooter (one of those who love to explode when charged Smiley...just kidding...latest generation with certified Samsung batteries and 2016 build...not that it sounds much safer Smiley) and my daughter had half of her school books with her. Smiley

The rear hatch of the Macan was under a lot of pressure (I had to press it to close...), so I am pretty sure I won't do that again. Just imagine the rear hatch opening on the Autobahn while I'm doing 200 kph or in fact any speed. Smiley

hehe... I clearly understand what you are talking about. 

This is the reason why I wanted to get a big space SUV again. We always leave house with a full car and return back with a packed car. On long distance flights we always return with one or two suite cases extra  Smiley

Well done with the Macan. It is stunning how much it can take!

For the everyday life is a spacious car by nothing to replace .... unless by an even bigger one. indecision

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016) BMW 740xDrive (2016)

Conny997:

For the everyday life is a spacious car by nothing to replace .... unless by an even bigger one. indecision

Trust me, I would get the G63 instantly if I had the money and if my wife would agree (she hates the G63 look).

Still thinking about the new Cayenne Turbo but in the end, what for? 

Difficult...

Btw: One of my wife's female(!) friends wants the Jeep SRT, she is going to buy it out of my lease. Seems that I left an impression with that car. Smiley Smiley

--

One in the bank for Tesla

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/12/29/14/25/tesla-car-appears-to-predict-accident-humans-couldnt-have

--

I find that questionable.

1. You could see the brake lights of the truck ahead through the cars window. It was clearly braking and braking hard well before the Tesla alerted the driver.

2. The Tesla only started to beep once the car swerved right, revealing the driver's side rear end of the stopped cars ahead. These cars were clearly already stopped or very close to being stopped before the car swerved. The beeping is pretty much perfectly in sync with the revealing of the stopped cars, and not before.

So if the cars were already braking hard and if they were pretty much already at a stand still, why wasn't the Tesla beeping until the car in front swerved? Well, it's because the Tesla didn't predict anything. It merely suddenly saw a stationary object in front once the car swerved and revealed it.

Granted it did beep pretty quickly upon the stationary cars being detected, it definitely didn't predict it.

Analyse all you want, this technology will be an improvement to safety, if it is not so already. Unfortunately we don't ever get to hear the stories of how it prevented a crash.. fatalities have been on the rise in North America, stupid drivers are the main problem.. We know that more cars with this technology will improve things so let's not try to kill it.

--

1986 BMW 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss/Black Leather - German Spec 
    2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 Black/Black Leather 

Ex: ''91 BMW 535i, '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

Analyse all you want, this technology will be an improvement to safety, if it is not so already. Unfortunately we don't ever get to hear the stories of how it prevented a crash.. fatalities have been on the rise in North America, stupid drivers are the main problem.. We know that more cars with this technology will improve things so let's not try to kill it.

What will improve safety is that there should be a remote control for moving cars in front to the right.

Have a 2 tier license system, everyone on tier one first, and if they can pass a more comprehensive and stringent test they will be given such a remote to move cars over. 

Keep all trucks to the right and no passing allowed is also needed.

--

I love those ideas, and yes that's 100% correct. No more slow Pruis drivers causing a traffic jam in the left lane and trucks should be permanently banned from passing at all times! That would make a lot of sense actually. 

--

1986 BMW 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss/Black Leather - German Spec 
    2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 Black/Black Leather 

Ex: ''91 BMW 535i, '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Whoopsy:
    Atzporsche:

What will improve safety is that there should be a remote control for moving cars in front to the right.

Have a 2 tier license system, everyone on tier one first, and if they can pass a more comprehensive and stringent test they will be given such a remote to move cars over. 

Keep all trucks to the right and no passing allowed is also needed.

Could the remote button also be rigged to their car's battery to give them a jolt through the seat when you activate it to get them off the left lane? Id donate a kidney for that button...

Meanwhile in Hillary's California their contribution to road safety is giving driving licences away to those undocumented immigrants that cannot pass it and have "bought theirs" in their country of origin...

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/28/dmv-licensed-800000-undocumented-immigrants-under-2-year-old-law/

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689694 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409324 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255791 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235019 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65547 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858082 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774149 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM