Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Resonance

OK, as many of you know I go the Friday afternoon car - lot's of minor rattles - nothing serious but lots of annoyances.

Anyway, the latest is a resonation from the left side (intake) side of the engine bay when the engine is cold 2000-2100 rpm, mainly on a trailing throttle.

A couple of other people on another board have experienced something similar (heatshields etc. have been checked, one guy even had his oil pump replace as it may have been cavatation (sp?) ) and Porsche are supposeldy looking into it.

Anyone here had the same problem? Sounds horrible for the brief time its happening - and (surprisingly!!) it's didn't do it when the dealer had it!

Re: Resonance

Cavitation. Minute air bubbles / vortices normally on the back side of the impeller vanes causes the noise. At least it does on ship's pumps and propellers. You may notice on car ferries when manoeuvring close to the berth heavy vibrations when propeller(s) going in opposite direction to that of the ship . That's cavitation big-style. So I guess it's similar on automotive oil pumps maybe when the oil is viscous and cold except I sincerely hope your pump is not going backwards . Here endeth today's lesson, except that in Germany your car would be a Montag car.
    And not surprisingly it's not happened (yet!) on my car.

So my car is being built on a Thursday (25th Aug). Is that a good or bad day in Finland??

Cheers,

JZ

Quote:
    JZ said:
    So my car is being built on a Thursday (25th Aug). Is that a good or bad day in Finland??

Cheers,

JZ

Better than a Friday car in the UK or a Monday car in Germany. I think. Ask Rich C what day his car was built - if it was a Thursday, cancel your order

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    JZ said:

Cheers,

JZ

Better than a Friday car in the UK or a Monday car in Germany. I think. Ask Rich C what day his car was built - if it was a Thursday, cancel your order

I think mine must have been built on the 'take you kiddies to work' day, getting a bit frustrating, especially as my last one was so well screwed together, and those I meet on our Rennteam excursions seem to be well put together too. Ho, hum, next business jaunt the car is going to be left with the OPC for an extended stay....

But, on a surprise note, the OPC had by far the lowest quote to refurb the wheel I kerbed the other day - go figure...

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Ho, hum, next business jaunt the car is going to be left with the OPC for an extended stay....

Hopefully you'll be around complete with car for our New Forest Meet provisionally 25th September. More details this weekend after I've completed my research.

Only one way to deal with neverending rattles - turn the Bose up!

Dreamcar: 25th sounds good.

Quote:
    Ente said:

Ahh, but did I mention the dash speaker that reverberating...?

Wondering if mine was actually used for crash testing! as its now starting to show a few more problems as the miles go on.. Wind deflector rattles like hell, passenger doors bose speakers looks as though its come away a bit and on Friday was buzzing like mad as I was on the motorway! Also I think my auto heater isnt working either!!!! GGGggrrrrR!!!!

Hey Rich C how much did they qoute you for the refurb????

Bird took the motor to work and curbed the front left.... I managed to curb both the rears, whilst parking!!! Monkey!

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    I think mine must have been built on the 'take you kiddies to work' day, getting a bit frustrating, especially as my last one was so well screwed together

I've usually found that if I've had a particular car and been really pleased with it and I've had another one of the same model it has never been as good second time round. Ah well, I almost certainly won't be able to justify another Porsche when this one goes, maybe just as well.

This one is even worse than just getting a bad friday car.
    Check this hilarious commercial:
    http://www.joe-ks.com/MultiMedia/NailGun.mpeg

Quote:
    Ente said:

Au contraire - change down a gear and press harder on the loud pedal

Quote:
    RichJ said:

Hey Rich C how much did they qoute you for the refurb????

50 squiddies, unsure whether that with or without VAT but everyone else was at least Pounds65+VAT, or Pounds55+VAT but I had to take the wheel off and they then sent it away, so the OPC wins hands down.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:

I've usually found that if I've had a particular car and been really pleased with it and I've had another one of the same model it has never been as good second time round.

I hear what you're saying, although as a total package I much prefer this one over my old 986S, it's just the niggly bits that didn't rattle on the old car, or your guys cars, that drive me spare.

Pencil me in for the 25th. I should have the car by then and should be back in the South. It all depends on my work roster for next month (out later this week), so will keep you informed.

Cheers,

JZ

I have the same problem.

only when cold and around 2200 rpm as u stated.

apparently its a common problem, tho i hv yet to find time to bring it back to the dealers. no big deal it think....

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=220803

hope someone will shed some light on this.

Stab in the dark, but resonant frequencies that occur at specific rev ranges seem to hint at one particular part (with the same resonant frequency as the engine as that particular rpm).

The fact that this one part only resonates when cold, suggests that it expands with time (and therefore heat) making a tighter fit, therefore no resonance.

So,it could possibly be a part of the exhaust system, or some other part which has to heat up during use.

Off course, I could be completely wrong......

25th of Aug build date should be Germany!!

Quote:
    Steve R said:

How so? Is that cos of the factory shutdown? If so, I thought boht factories closed for the same 2 weeks at the start of August?

Cheers,

JZ

Quote:
    JZ said:
    Stab in the dark, but resonant frequencies that occur at specific rev ranges seem to hint at one particular part (with the same resonant frequency as the engine as that particular rpm).

The fact that this one part only resonates when cold, suggests that it expands with time (and therefore heat) making a tighter fit, therefore no resonance.

So,it could possibly be a part of the exhaust system, or some other part which has to heat up during use.

Off course, I could be completely wrong......

Mine stated that @ 1200 miles & again disapears when temp is at normal, sounds like it comes from exhaust but not sure.

Quote:
    JZ said:
    Quote:
    Steve R said:

How so? Is that cos of the factory shutdown? If so, I thought boht factories closed for the same 2 weeks at the start of August?

Cheers,

JZ

Pretty sure most of August build cars are Stuttgart! Finalnd closes in August as far as I know and there is a limited build in Germany. Could be wrong though!

I'm not sure what the month breakdown is, but my June '05 car was built in Stuttgart.

mcdelaug

Resonance - fixed?

OK Guys, update from my OPC as the car was in this week.

Porsche have released a technical bulletin in the past couple of days relating to this problem.

Seems to be caused by the oil pressure relief valve, the solution is to replace this and all associated parts - had this done on my car, will eport back whether it's worked or not when I get back from Milan this evening.. fingers crossed!

Re: Resonance - fixed?

If it fixes it, might be worth adding a summary post to the 'run-in issues' sticky thread.

Got two (minor) noises myself. One rattle in the glovebox area, and a low jiggling/knocking sound from somewhere behind. What sort of noise does a loose heatshield make? Is it subtle, or obvious?

Thanks for the update Rich. It might turn into a workshop item which is taken care of automatically as cars arrive for service work.

Dunno WTS... still no rattles here *jinxxxxxx*.

Quote:
    Ente said:
    Thanks for the update Rich. It might turn into a workshop item which is taken care of automatically as cars arrive for service work.

Dunno WTS... still no rattles here *jinxxxxxx*.

If I remember correctly the bulletin said ' a few cars effected' so unlikely they'll be changing them all as a mater of course - be waiting for the customer to indicate the problem first I would think.

Still know of more cars with no problems than those with any (minor ones) so don't fret.....

They fixed my 987 rattle at 2100 rpm by relacing the engine! Having to go through the run in progress again.

Ed

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    OK Guys, update from my OPC as the car was in this week.

Porsche have released a technical bulletin in the past couple of days relating to this problem.

Seems to be caused by the oil pressure relief valve, the solution is to replace this and all associated parts - had this done on my car, will eport back whether it's worked or not when I get back from Milan this evening.. fingers crossed!

Mine just back from OPC after replacing Speedo binacle, they also did some recall work?? while in but resonance is still there. When I picked it up tech had gone for day so not sure what the recall work was. I'll call on monday & find out - also ask about noise,

Re: Resonance - NOT fixed!!!

Didn't notice it at the weekend = but a quiet drive this evening showed that the problems still there.

Really pee'd off - beginning to wonder with all the issues, not matter how minor,or not, if I ought to think about rejecting it.... bugger!

Re: Resonance - NOT fixed!!!

Oh no! Try taking it to a different OPC?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806604 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449533 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267056 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90450 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7214 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887349 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836190 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM