Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

help needed in Boxster purchase

hello
    I am looking to buy a new car, either a Boxster 987 with options (full leather, PASM, Carrera S wheel to name a few) or a BMW Z4 3.0 with options. Both are excellent cars, but what buggers me most is that most of the Boxster drivers here on the forum are Boxster S owners? Is the base 987 so weak? Would you suggest me to go with the BMW instead? I absolutely want those options, and if I took them on the S, then the car would get too expensive

Any suggestions from the pros?

Re: help needed in Boxster purchase

Don't even think about buying a Z4 in preference to a Boxster 2.7. It's a piece of junk in comparison. The only good thing about it is its engine and the fact it comes with a six speed box as standard. The ride is the most uncomfortable I've ever experienced. The electric power steering is totally numb compared with the Boxster. Don't forget that the Boxster is a thoroughbred, and has been designed from the ground up as a sports car by possibly the worlds finest sports car manufacturer, where the Z4 is a collection of 3 series bits designed for a 4 door car cobbled together in an impracticable and questionably styled shape. That component compromise is why the ride is so uncomfortably harsh.

Look at it this way - would you rather have a sports car that shared a lot of design and engineering with a BMW 316 -or one that shared with a Porsche 997?

Don't lose sight that 19" wheels and full leather are much more expensive on the 2.7 than the S, so the price gap is a lot narrower than the basic list price suggests. If it was me I'd go for 18" wheels and no PASM on the 2.7.

Hi...
    My gf had a Z4 3.0 for 10 months...ride is far too hard for any decent form of driving, and she has just sold her Z4 and will be buying the 987 2.7. She test drove the 987 and she felt big big difference in the quality and handling compared with her Z4... performance was similar for both vehicles so from her advice u should definitely opt for 987. She has...and u know... women are NEVER wrong..haha

Her spec for 987 are:
    Silver
    18" Boxster wheels
    Full leather
    PCM
    Rear parking sensor
    Bose
    On advice of salesman who recommended not to spec 987 2.7list price to be too close to 987S... bigger depreciation hit...

I think 18" would be adequate for 2.7, remember Z4 only has 18"....PASM is a good option but only with 19"...have it on my 987S...

But definitely go for 987..U won't regret it but u will with a 3 series Z4.....

I don't think there's anything wrong with the 2.7 at all. It's still a very capable car, and more than adequate for UK road speeds.

Do bear in mind that you won't get as much back on the options as on the car itself come re-sale time. This, along with the more flexible and powerful engine, is why a lot of people (myself included) stretched to the S, which has a lot of 2.7 would-be options as standard fit.

You might be able to get away without the PASM if you are on the 18" wheels. Otherwise, there's the PASM+6 Speed box option to consider.

Personally, if I was going for the 2.7, I'd try to make it as basic as possible.

This means black partial leather interior. Might sex it up a little by adding the leather centre console (front and back) to get leather and stitching by the side of the stereo and by the hand brake. Possibly get the instrument binacle surround in leather as well, again to get the stitching, but you notice this area a little less. Doing it this way (rather than having the whole dash in leather) would cut costs, and the slush-moulded black dash is very good.

I'd probably stick with the leather/alcantara seats too.

And I'd stick with the base sound-system. I hardly ever turn my Bose on!

Lets face it, I want to have the fun of speccing a car all over again! But have fun with speccing yours. Hopefully not a Z4!

If you live in the US, you might want to buy an '05S from dealer stock. Depending on the options, you might get one for the nearly the same money you expected to spend on the base 987. There are many '05s still in stock and some people are getting great discounts on them (i.e. $12K off a $65K car). I've seen some that are very lightly optioned, but still very nice cars. They can probably be had somewhere in the high $40K range, which is normally base 987 territory.

With that said, I agree with the others on the Z4. It looks hideous and isn't worth settling for.

Good luck in your search.

I bet, from the turn of phrase used in the original post ( ) that it's the UK. I doubt ther'll be any brand new ones sitting on the lot over here, but you might be able to get an ex-demo or nearly new, I agree. Look on the website?

Intresting one this, and it was my exact problem 8 months ago.

I wanted a 987 but speccing the 987S as I wanted pushed it well over Pounds40k, so that was beyond me for now. I could have gone for the 987S in its most basic form, which would have left me always wanting more, especially when I see one with 19's etc.

The standard stuff over the 2.7 is minimal anyway. 6-speed (the 6-speed option on the 2.7 does nothing good for your driving experience and doesn't improve performance), some extra leather bits (armrests on centre console and doors, but partial leather seats) and bigger brakes.

So I decided to order the 2.7 in the spec I had always wanted. I did set myself a limit (you do have to be slightly sensible about these things!) and so I will pick up my car in 10 days or so with all the options I really wanted.

I specced:

Basalt
    Black leather sports seats (truly excellent)
    19 Carerra CLassics
    BOSE with wind deflector
    Climate
    Sports Steering wheel
    Heated seats
    Park Assist
    Chrome Sports tailpipe

All for less than the basic price of an S (without Mettalic)
    So its as I want it, and I can't wait.

The brakes on the new 2.7 are a major step forward (now bigger and cross drilled) and the new output is very close to the pre-Facelift S which seemed to be quick enough for everybody back then. For UK roads nd everyday driving, this car will be everything I need.

I will be happier in this car with its looks and toys than I would be in an S with nothing on it.

Of course, the joy of owning and speccing a brand new Porsche is that you spec YOUR car to suit YOU. I will be deleriously happy with this car, and who knows, if I ever really get the urge for an 'S', well, thats for next time.

My car will feel and look how I want it to look and I will not feel any 'spec envy' when I see a Pounds40k plus S.

Go for what you feel suits you best. The 2.7 is a great car, everybody who has one is extremely happy with it. It sounds great, looks great and really only the Porschophiles can spot the difference between them. Not that it really matters!!

Good luck with your choice and purchase.

JZ

Well, I think we are all agreed, whichever Boxster you get, in whatever spec, it will be vastly superior to a Z4!

Very well put JZ.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Well, I think we are all agreed, whichever Boxster you get, in whatever spec, it will be vastly superior to a Z4!

Absolutely. That (for me) goes without saying. I simply couldn't comprehend buying a BMW Z4 over my forthcoming Boxster. The Porsche is a roadster in a pure form. BMW can't match it dynamics, feel and soul, no matter how many convex oblique juxtaposed angles Bangle adorns it with.

In my very humble opinion, Its complete tat. (Apart from its straight 6, but that STILL doesn't have the sheer aural pleasure you'll get from the 987 flat 6!!)
    Cheers,

JZ

Get the 2.7 Boxster and you'll never look back; forget the Z4 - I was not even considering it - it will look dated once the new one comes out while the Boxster shape is a classic porsche shape that will only evolve with time. Performance wise, handling; no comparison. Get the Porsche!

I test drove the Z4 3.0 and a 986 (987 wasnt out then), and I was tempted to buy a second 986S right away.- lucky I waited for the 987.

the steering of the Z4 is outright weird. the variable electro steering whatever means that u can trun the wheel with 1 finger when u r parking, and the steering loads up (quite noticably) as u speed up. and the steering feel is terrible.

Its also weird to drive a car when the nose extends so much further than the front wheels. it feels as if the car is not turning where u want it to.

otherwise, the engine is a gem, pulls from low down, sounds a but whimpy compared to the Porsche, but gear shift is good, tho a bit long.
    and it has a kick-a$$ stereo (carver system on the demo)

I am lucky I waited for the 987 base. my budget couldnt quite stretch to a 987S with options. my spec:
    SY/ black
    PCM
    18"
    w/deflec
    heated seats + sport seats
    P crest on headrest
    hi-fi pack

its still 15k AUD less than a bare S with nothing. and I would never buy a Porsche without the sport seats. they are soooo comfy.

I use it for city driving, so the 987S (which I test drove later on) couldnt justify the price difference. and if u read my old post, the S was a disappointment for me anyway.

So get a 2.7L, dont opt for 6sp- its doesnt add anything to the experience, get sport seats and PCM. since the dash looks like a cheap Korean car without PCM.

I m sure if u post this question on the Z4 forum, u would get a different response tho.....

I have a Basalt S with 19"s and my mate has a 2.7 with 19"s. To anyone they look the same in reality.

The performance difference on the road is negligable however, I chose the S and he chose the 2.7....a choice made for our own reasons.

I knew if I got a 2.7 I would want a 3.2, I think the S has more potential than I will ever be capable of using, however my mate went from a 986 S to a 2.7 and he is very happy.

There you go my tuppance worth!

Do yourself a favor and pick up the S - you will not regret it. To me, the S felt far more powerful and it also differentiates itself from what seems like a million other regular Boxsters on the road. The S adds some wow factor. Also, when you see the red brake calipers on your car, it's a nice reminder that you have a high powered version of an already great car

And are you seriously considering BMW? If I wasn't such a nice guy I'd tell you to go jump off a cliff before doing that! It looks like a damn shark....

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said: it also differentiates itself from what seems like a million other regular Boxsters on the road

According to figures posted on rennteam.com, just under 52% of the Boxsters sold in the US last year were the base model 987.

Must be skewed in my part of the neighborhood, cause I haven't seen one S in the NY Metro area since my purchase a month ago....

In 2004 it was just under 51% base Boxsters. Here in south FL I see mostly S's. Your car is very pretty, by the way. It's making me thing about black for my next P-car. My last two cars , prior to my yellow 986, were black and I needed a break.

Can't beat black - go for it

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Must be skewed in my part of the neighborhood, cause I haven't seen one S in the NY Metro area since my purchase a month ago....

I have yet to see a 987S out here on Long Island, other than the ones at the dealer and, of course, my own. Yet 911s, Mercedes and BMWs are all pretty common. I don't get it.

<whew> So it wasn't just me ... yeah I haven't seen one Boxster S at all -- equal amounts of Boxsters and 911's in the city and in Westchester, but no S's....and of course, hundreds of Mercedes and BMW each day....they are starting to look like Ford Focuses to me....

How much lower is the S compared to the Base 987? PASM lowers it about 10mm right?
    And is their a "big" difference between 2,7L and 3,2L ? Do you feel the extra 40HP ?

Quote:
    Gauss said:
    How much lower is the S compared to the Base 987? PASM lowers it about 10mm right?
    And is their a "big" difference between 2,7L and 3,2L ? Do you feel the extra 40HP ?

Both cars have the same ride height.
    Adding PASM (to either) will lower by 10mm, correct.
    Its not so much the extra 40HP as the extra torque, and the spread of torque. The torque for the 3.2 is greater than the peak torque for the 2.7 right from something like 2000 revs or less. (Haven't got the curves in front of me at the second). So the upshot is that you don't have to change down gears so much if you don't want to - the engine is more flexible, happier to pull from low revs.

Quote:
    Gauss said:

OH YES.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776979 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441621 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262740 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260897 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85155 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5543 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880600 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815789 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM