Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

new Ipod nano for lots of cars but not Porsche

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/ipodyourcar/

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

http://news.com.com/1606-2-5852947.html

... looks like Ferrari will have the option and some other new car companies .

Re: new Ipod nano for lots of cars but not Porsche

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/ipodyourcar/

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

http://news.com.com/1606-2-5852947.html

... looks like Ferrari will have the option and some other new car companies .

I'm kinda pissed myself....though CD's sound far better

Not if you change your Itunes setting to AIFF or Wave instead of the default when you are importing a CD ... then it will be Identical and not use the compression that kills the sound quality and keeps the size down . The songs will take more space but the sound quality will be Identical .

AIFF file is basically a raw extraction of the information on your CD, bit for bit, into a file format that your computer can play back. It's basically a completely accurate copy of your CD (given that there's no error during reading and that sort of thing). So the file size of AIFF file is the same as the file size that the audio tracks are really eating up on your CD.

Apple Lossless is a "lossless" compression scheme, like Zip or StuffIt files, which means it compresses as much as it can, but losing no data in the process. It reduces the file size by about 40% overall from AIFF. It's full-quality, bit-for-bit accurate to the original CD, except compressed. So if you want the highest quality possible and still save some space, this is the way to go.

AAC and MP3 are both lossy compressions. Certain information are disgarded and then compressed. It tries to determine what your ears aren't "supposed" to hear and then disgards it. Generally speaking, at high bitrates they sound very alike, so it's hard to say one is really better. If I went with bitrates of 192kbps and higher, it's hard to say there's much audible difference between AAC and MP3. However at 128kbps it's very clear that AAC is better than MP3.

LAME is another MP3 encoder that is not built into iTunes. You will need to use other application to import the music into it, and then manually add it to your iTunes library. To understand why LAME is better than the MP3 encoder in iTunes, you have to understand that all encoders exists of two parts, one is the spectrum analyzer portion that determines what data to dump, and the second is the encoding/compression portion.

LAME's spectrum analyzer does a more careful job at determining what needs to be dumped and what doesn't, hence it's better than other MP3 encoders. Of course, iTunes chose to *not* implement LAME, in part to advertise their own AAC codec, but also in part because LAME is extremely slow compared to AAC or the MP3 encoder used in iTunes. It takes a *lot* more time creating MP3 files. AIFF is the way to go

In the high-end audio world I would never hook up an iPod to my system over a killer CD player with a super DAC - it cannot be beat - WAV or AIFF. I have found that CD's that use either WAV or AIFF (you can forget about MP3 and AAC) just don't have the same texture to the sound, and the soundstage seems slightly supressed - not giving me the wide open soundstage feel that I crave. To each his own, if none of this matters to you then feel free to go AIFF/WAV but --- in a car I suppose it isn't that important since there are too many factors that obstruct the path to pure, clear sound (road noise and engine noise for one). But I will always prefer genuine (non-copied) CD's

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    In the high-end audio world I would never hook up an iPod to my system over a killer CD player with a super DAC - it cannot be beat - WAV or AIFF.

...uhhh we're still talking about Porsche's audio system right???
    Porsche and high-end audio are two things that you will never hear in the same sentence.

AJ is always trying to impress us with his audio system. But again, we're talking iPod here, its a portable music system for car audio!

And I hate to burst your bubble, but you will not get audiophile grade sound in the 997! Its way to noisy to begin with and then unless you tear out the PCM, you'll be using the noisy speaker level outputs from the head unit. Someone already posted this. How can you get clean sound from an unclean source?

Quote:
    I have found that CD's that use either WAV or AIFF (you can forget about MP3 and AAC) just don't have the same texture to the sound, and the soundstage seems slightly supressed - not giving me the wide open soundstage feel that I crave.

no difference a .... CD has a AIFF file on it when you buy it .

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Quote:
    I have found that CD's that use either WAV or AIFF (you can forget about MP3 and AAC) just don't have the same texture to the sound, and the soundstage seems slightly supressed - not giving me the wide open soundstage feel that I crave.

You need a turntable / analog to get best sound . You know, paying $$$$ for mint orig 1950s and early 1960s vinyl records , played on $100K turntables, concrete acoustically tuned sound room, , upwards million dollars of equipment that you change everyear for newer stuff ( like high end car addiction ) , so you can " hear the walls and the players breathing and the palpable air between the instruments " on those Bruno Walter orchesteral recordings of the Chicago Symphony....

You forgot the cables. $10k each

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Quote:

Sure but the D/A converters in the iPod are not *that* great, resulting in what "audiophiles" would consider to be inferior sound reproduction.

So iPod is actually perfectly suited to the Porsche...

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    AJ is always trying to impress us with his audio system. But again, we're talking iPod here, its a portable music system for car audio!

And I hate to burst your bubble, but you will not get audiophile grade sound in the 997! Its way to noisy to begin with and then unless you tear out the PCM, you'll be using the noisy speaker level outputs from the head unit. Someone already posted this. How can you get clean sound from an unclean source?

I've missed your presence, Texas

This fall is the launch for several combination
    cell phone/MP3 players.

Ipod gotta catch up soon!

And WTF why no combo GPS Navigation/Radar Warning device yet is beyond me

Valentine meets Garmin would be a good idea, especially if it marked or showed where radar was last detected.

When I go and have the integrated Valentine One in the rear view mirror, I will post pictures up...

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    This fall is the launch for several combination
    cell phone/MP3 players.

Ipod gotta catch up soon!

Valentine meets Garmin would be a good idea, especially if it marked or showed where radar was last detected.

Would somebody here be interested in a GADGET CORNER, some sort of forum where I present new gadgets and you can add your comments or ask questions?
    I get an iPod nano next week with a special engravement for me. A friend working close to Apple already had one made for me, he's bringing it with him next week when he visits me. I don't know if or when the nano will be available over here in Germany (I suppose it is already available in the US) but I already saw pictures and it looks cool.

A Gadget corner would be cool. There is so much new product being launched this fall in the CES industry.

Whoever thought that Dual would come back as a car audio compant or that the retail price point for a car CD head would start at $79.9

Actually the D/A converter on an iPod is pretty good and much better than lots of portable mp3 players. Especially the cheapo ones.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    A Gadget corner would be cool. There is so much new product being launched this fall in the CES industry.

Whoever thought that Dual would come back as a car audio compant or that the retail price point for a car CD head would start at $79.9

Did you say Dual, like the turntable Dual? Someone must have bought the brand. What are the products that are offered by dual?

Yes, these gadgets are already with us..in some cars..and definitely while traveling/or, at home. would really like a gadget corner... on =stuff today and suggestions/ideas to the Germans. The cars should be world class in all areas.
    Per previous very well informed info on files and sampling, I use my CD's when I have them. The CD file servers offered by Porsche are totally inadequate... especially when one considers the major advances in memory for other devices. However....
    My sons use these "compromised" sources all the time in their cars,,,and everywhere. And the real up side is the very large choices of music stored and at your disposal. As well as, creating your own traveling source/disc. Real nice.
    Other gadgets would be PC link ups, GPS,, use of car "screen" as a laptop/memory stick viewer. And clearly, a better way to use our own "cell phones" My Treo is phone,music source,scheduler,photo file source and so on...... although 'stuff' in the cell area is getting better. Close location telemetry technology is everywhere...No wires, just within a close proximity.
    I'd like to see a module system with the cars,,,as the tech becomes obsolete,,,the templates are the same ,but you could pull and plug in the new system....Instead of the 8-track approach... Many of us keep these cars for many years,, would be nice.
    Just my two cents. thanks for the offer and the rest of the posters valuable info. Great group of car lovers.
    tick,,tick,,,tick,,,= eight months and waiting.
    jack49
    ps: curious==are there women on this forum...seems like the demographics is 98% men ,ages 35 to 55, in urban locations,mostly mid to upper income... Familes??,education? Porsche would have the profile on us. BBell of the curve and the tails... Who are we?

http://www.engadget.com/

O,
    thanks, very kool web. Will take some time to wade though it .. I put it on favorite.
    \ enjoy the weekend, My last weekend before going back to work... excited and depressed at the same time.
    jack49

Quote:
    brunner said:
    You forgot the cables. $10k each

A true audiophile cannot read music nor can he play an instrument. He owns one orig pressing 1960 Mercury Living Presence vinyl record as his whole music collection and has spent the last 4 decades and millions of dollars extracting " more and more information that was always in those record grooves " .

OTOH, don't ever listen to a truly super high end 2- channel analog vinyl record playback system if you have half decent ears and higher IQ- it is a metaphysical ,spiritual experience . Listening to any digital source after that is grating - even on the best current $100K CD players. Digital is fine as background music. Analog is for when you tune out the world , turn out the lights , sit up straight and float into that "zone" .

Quote:
    Orient Express said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Did you say Dual, like the turntable Dual? Someone must have bought the brand. What are the products that are offered by dual?

Yes thats the one, the Dual of turntables of yesterday...

Now Dual is launching into the car audio business. Google them and you will see what they are up to.

Quote:

In the UK there is - the Road Angel Navigator:
    http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/road-angel-navigator.htm

FYI: If you would like to see a Nano laid bare

Check out this link. It is in japanese, but the pictures are self explanatory.

Nice piece of engineering.

Re: FYI: If you would like to see a Nano laid bare

Here is the Google translation to english

but beware it is strange english

Quote:
    ...Digital is fine as background music. Analog is for when you tune out the world , turn out the lights , sit up straight and float into that "zone" .

I remember not being that impressed with the quality of CD's when they came out. (Still a teenager) They seemed to have too much background hum. Vinyl had an occasional pop but seemed to be a cleaner sound.

Your post brought back memories that I thought were too far gone to recall accurately.

Quote:
    I remember not being that impressed with the quality of CD's when they came out

When CD's first came out? That was a long long time ago, I think maybe technology has advanced a little since then? Those first CD players didn't even oversample!

vinyl vs CDs
    tubes vs transistors
    Porsche vs Ferrari
    arctic silver vs black
    Cartman vs Stan

these metaphysical questions will never be answered in absolute terms...but there ARE some immutable truths at rennteam:

Nick will flip every V8 Ferrari model released through 2020
    RC will acquire at least one variant of every Porsche model (when's the Panamera coming RC? )
    Stradale is steadily amassing the entire Griot's Garage inventory
    Farina will sketch nicer looking cars than any of us will ever drive

I'm sure the creative among you can think of a few others too!

mcdelaug

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    there ARE some immutable truths at rennteam:

Well he will at least drive it to Starbucks every other Saturday morning to keep the battery charged and to impress the 14 year old girls .

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    there ARE some immutable truths at rennteam:

Well he will at least drive it to Starbucks every other Saturday morning to keep the battery charged and to impress each new crop of 14 year old girls .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776715 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441517 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262676 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260817 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85086 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5497 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880525 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815657 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM