Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Interesting Factory Screw-ups

Was at my dealers yesterday and what did I see...
    Two Carrera "S", a coupe and a cab with standard leather interiors, which mean a slush technology dash that had Stiched Leather defroster vents & center speaker grill.
    No mention nor charge on sticker

Another Carrera S had a Carrera steering wheel (triangle center)
    Again, No mention nor charge on sticker.

Whats up with Porsche QC

Re: Interesting Factory Screw-ups

On my old '03 turbo, the ruffled seat option was ordered. Well, except for the bottom part of the passenger seat, which came in standard leather. I didn't notice it when I took delivery, being overly exicted and it wasn't until the next day when sunlight revealed the mongrel seat in all it's glory. A replacement seat was ordered and it arrived in record time. Mistakes do happen even to the best of us, it's how we take care of them that seperates the wheat from the chaff.

mistakes are becoming ever increasing @ porsche...

mabye quality control can't keep up with the record setting production

Bear in mind that one can order a 997S with 997 steering wheel if he wants to.
    I've never heard of such problems, nonetheless, if that car is not what you ordered, you should not accept delivery.
    Mistakes I've heard of are made by dealers, not the factory, because the order is computerised there.
    Last week I asked final option list to the dealer and he had forgotten the TPMS and added by mistake Heating seats and Fire extinguisher!

I've heard a few similar stories. In one case a Carrera S left the factory and made it through Baltimore with Turbo S skidplate logos. The dealer caught it and changed them before the client picked up the ordered car. Such a minor issue shouldn't make any impact on the car long term, but it does make you wonder what else got screwed up while it was being built...

mcdelaug

I can tell you Porsche is still run by humans and they do make mistakes. I sold them for 20 years and saw them every year that I was in the business. How about ordering a tiptronic and confirmed all the way through the process and the car shows up with a 6 speed! Their explanation "We ran out of tips so we built it with 6 speed. The seat bottom happened many times over the years. There are plenty of dealer screw ups and Distributors screw ups also, but factory does it also.

Imagine ordering a Boxster and they put a Carrera GT engine in...

My new 997S Cab has "BONDO" in the top and body damage under the paint on several places.
    You can see sander marks under the paint all over the car...

OK, so most of these are all minor. What happens if Porsche put a Carrera engine in a Carrara S. Someone, who has never test-driven both, might not even notice the difference. I guess you can look under the trunk. But what if it happened to a Boxster S? Hmmm....

Quote:
    Zürich said:

That would be great! Well, maybe not if they then put a Boxster engine in a CGT. I'd feel sorry for that guy.
    I know, I know...it's never going to happen, but it's still fun to fantasize.

I have seen a few MY05 Boxster 987's in the UK with this same feature. A full leather finish on the windscreen blower and centre speaker despite a 'normal' non leather dashboard. It is hard to notice, but I imagine its one of those things that would be hard to miss once you spot it.

I don't think it is a factory mistake, more a case of, 'we've run out of standard parts, so stick in a leather one instead'.

I personally am hopeing they ran out of standard headlights during the last week in August. That would be a nice bonus in 2 weeks time. The chance of them doing something as major as that is (IMHO) remote in the exteme.

Regarding the steering wheel, perhaps the owner wanted a multi-function wheel? Was it multi-function? (Are there multi-function sports wheels on the 997?)

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Regarding the steering wheel, perhaps the owner wanted a multi-function wheel? Was it multi-function? (Are there multi-function sports wheels on the 997?)

Not an ordered nor allocated car...known in the states as a "pool car"
    The steering wheel (carrera w/ triangle hub) was plain, not a multi-function and there was no mention or charge on the window sticker...

Just strange

Quote:
    chuck said:
    My new 997S Cab has "BONDO" in the top and body damage under the paint on several places.

that's a good one

Quote:
    FSU-997S said:
    Quote:
    chuck said:

that's a good one

It's a disaster
    I paid $121k for my 1st Porsche and it has a bad paint job and Bondo in it.
    Porsche said, "It's not a problem we'll just repaint it."

Would this be a problem for you guys if it was your car?

Wow! Holy cow!

Can you post pictures please. Doesn't sound right to me at all! Did you notice this before you signed off on your baby?

It certainly would be. If I want a damaged vehicle that had been repainted I would be buying a used car for a lot less money.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    chuck said:
    Quote:
    FSU-997S said:
    Quote:
    chuck said:

that's a good one

It's a disaster

Sorry Chuck, did not mean to poke fun, but I could not imagine that to be true....depending on the extent of the problem, I would return the car and demand a refund....I received a new Honda Accord after I found a similar problem after several months. The only problem for you is the wait for a new one.....Visit the dealer in the morning and Good luck.....

Body damage?!? Yeah let us know how this one develops. It will say a lot about the state of Porsche as a company. I hope they read these message boards!!!!

I had a 996 Cab and 996 TT before I moved to China. Both were flawless cars, and Porsche took care of me very well. But, this is before the success of the Cayenne and their shift to being a bigger volume automaker. Maybe their emphasis on quality is waning...

Good luck to you. Best,

Paul

MAYBE IT WAS AN MULTIFUNCTION CONTROL STEERING WHEEL??

As for the leather details in the interior ,they are just options that one can order..

EVEN the small box in the drivers feet with the fusions,can be ordered in leather.....

So many options....I wish more of them where focusing on performance and not useless details

Quote:
    DamienL said:
    Quote:
    Zürich said:

That would be great! Well, maybe not if they then put a Boxster engine in a CGT. I'd feel sorry for that guy.
    I know, I know...it's never going to happen, but it's still fun to fantasize.

i bet this is a mistake no one would complain about

Are you joking or just kidding? This also was my first thought! I would be shocked if a brand new car at cost to offset the additional wait wasn't offered.

P.S. squeaked out a win yesterday... huh?

Quote:
    chuck said:

I would have a hard time believing that this quality of repair would be done at the factory. I even doubt that the PDI at the port would do such sloppy work. It is my understanding that both factory and PDI repairs are done so well that it would be difficult for anyone to ever know. This sounds like something more likely done at the dealer level. Did you see your car when it arrived at the dealership? Did the dealer have time to damage/fix the car before you got it? Just my guess since I have heard that the factory and PDI are not likely to let poor repairs continue on to the consumer.

Phil

Quote:
    dan996 said:
    I can tell you Porsche is still run by humans and they do make mistakes. I sold them for 20 years and saw them every year that I was in the business. How about ordering a tiptronic and confirmed all the way through the process and the car shows up with a 6 speed! Their explanation "We ran out of tips so we built it with 6 speed. The seat bottom happened many times over the years. There are plenty of dealer screw ups and Distributors screw ups also, but factory does it also.

What can you do to prevent a mistake by the dealer ?

How about asking for a copy of the ...is it "invoice" ?

What paperwork can you request after ordering your car that shows the confirmed options ????

Quote:
    chuck said:
    Quote:
    FSU-997S said:
    Quote:
    chuck said:

that's a good one

It's a disaster

Big time problem for me. Yes.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    chuck said:

I would have a hard time believing that this quality of repair would be done at the factory. I even doubt that the PDI at the port would do such sloppy work. It is my understanding that both factory and PDI repairs are done so well that it would be difficult for anyone to ever know. This sounds like something more likely done at the dealer level. Did you see your car when it arrived at the dealership? Did the dealer have time to damage/fix the car before you got it? Just my guess since I have heard that the factory and PDI are not likely to let poor repairs continue on to the consumer.

Phil

Very good point and question

I seriously doubt the truth to your story Chuck but I have been fooled before. Please post some pics of your car so we have evaluate. I never heard of Bondo in a convertible top? Wow, $121k, it must have many, many options. I also live in Illinois, what dealer did you purchase from. I am very familiar with them all and might be able to assist you in a favorable resolution. But let's see the pics first.

quote]red911 said:
    I seriously doubt the truth to your story Chuck

One of the fastest ways I have found to get more info from someone is to call them a "Liar" right off the bat!

Quote:
    red911 said: I never heard of Bondo in a convertible top? Wow, $121k, it must have many, many options.

Yes, it does, including the "Hard Top!"
    To come up with the $121k you would have to take sticker and subtract 2K for the discount, and then add the 3M Bra and PSE (as part of the deal) and that's what I paid.
    It was almost 5K off list, I thought I was getting a good deal.

The "Bondo" was pointed out to me by Chuck James the Factory Porsche Rep.
    He went on to say that the car should have been rejected by my Dealership. (Sud's in Pekin}
    Chuck also said that he thinks the clear coat is thin on the entire car!?
    It took him two months to meet with me after I found the other damage on the car and another month for Porsche to tell me that they are willing to re-paint the car for me

The day I picked it up I had just completed an 8000 mile trip from Baghdad that started at 1:40 am on the 28 of May.
    I was at the dealership at 3 pm the same day.
    It was cloudy and overcast when I looked it over.
    I did point out some scratches and some very unusual damage on the back glass.
    It was like pit marks in the glass.
    I drove the car home and went to bed.
    Early the next day I got up to go for a drive, the right rear tire was flat.
    The car sat for two days in the driveway. (Memorial Day Weekend)
    I aired up the tire on Tuesday and off to the dealer I went.
    They pulled the tire and found a screw in the tread.
    There was also rubber from the sidewall in the tire and they would not repair it.
    So they ordered one, 3pm the next day and $500 bucks later I got my car back.
    I left for Atlanta Ga. the next morning in the rain.
    600 miles of rain and 5 days later I came home and washed my "New" car for the first time.

Now all cleaned up and rested, there in the sun before me was my Brand New "Swirl marked" car.

I almost puked!
    Back to the dealership, they swear they didn't buff it.
    So off to the Detailer to clean up the swirl marks..

As the swirls came off the sander marks under the paint began to show up.
    The entire hard top is covered and has bondo in it.
    There are scratches under the paint on the rear bumper and both rear quarters.
    There are deep scratches on both front fenders.
    The wing is scratched, there are marks under the paint from where the tail lights where installed...etc, ect...
    Under inside lighting the metal flake washes out on the hood and front fenders.

So after waiting for the car to arrive while in Iraq, getting home with my head, putting $100K down on the car and then waiting for Porsche to step up and make it right..

All they are telling me they will do is repaint the car and give me a one time shopping spree of $1500.00 in Tequipment for my trouble.
    I was also told that I could feel free to take the depreciation and trade it on a new one if I wanted too.

So what do I do now, Porsche is tring to stick it to me.
    I've lost a lot of sleep, treated those around me gruffly and have been hard to get along with every time the subject of my car comes up.
    My money is just sitting in the garage because I'm afraid to drive it.
    One door ding, someone taps my dumper or whatever and Porsche tells me to take a walk.....

Please excuse me now...I'm either going to throw up or crap my paints, some time I do both....

I'd get everyone and anyone who is in a position to get you a new car involved. I would not accept a re-paint. If you are firm and persistant you will end up with a new car.

I'm not sure how much fighting you're up for, but it seems like the following should be easily obtainable:

1- completely new hardtop, not a repaint.
    2- repaint the entire vehicle to your satisfaction
    3- offer a realistic settlement for the decline in value of your car the repaint warrants; with Porsche's accessory markup%, $1500 from Tequipment is about the same as 300-400 dollars. That's simply insulting. What discount from MSRP would you demand if your dealer happened to have a car that had minimal mileage, exactly the options you wanted and had been repaired as above? That's the amount you should negotiate for.

IMO they've made you a "lowball" offer. Time to politely present your demands and persist until you get what you deserve. Porsche has demonstrated again and again that they are a calculating business enterprise. Their objective is to make the problem "you" go away for as little cash as possible. This is not the same thing as offering you a fair settlement! Any doubters just need to consider why we still have RMS issues in these cars...

Good luck, and I am truly sorry you're having to deal with this when you should be enjoying your new car. And welcome back to the US!

mcdelaug

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777537 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441823 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262821 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261029 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85301 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5603 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880717 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816124 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM