Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

One bad day is enough to be...dead

Had a horrible driving day today, made several driving mistakes I never expected I'll do again or with my experience. I had a lot of stress lately, lots of worries with new business and kids' health. I didn't sleep much over the past few weeks but actually felt quite fresh all the time, may a littel bit exhausted.
    Today I finally had the chance to drive my 997 CS for two hours but I almost crashed the car several times. It never happened to me before and I came back horrified. Happy me, I have PSM on my car, although the "sport" setting on the chrono sport option was all the active.

Well, why do I tell this to you? I had to think about Ben.
    No matter how good of a driver you are or think you are, it can happen... And I also realized that the physical and mental condition of the driver is more than important, it is vital. I knew that before but maybe many of you don't realize it, until it is too late. I think that only my driving routine and the PSM together saved me from crashing today. I don't think something horrible would have happened, it was at low speeds but nethertheless: I did some VERY VERY stupid driving mistakes which shouldn't happen or which I thought could never happen to me again. And they didn't for the past years, this is why I'm that upset.

Before you decide to buy a car without PSM (like the GT3/GT2/CGT), think twice: are you buying this car because it really allows you to be faster than in a non-PSM equipped car or are you buying it because you think it(the car) makes you faster just sitting in it. Today FINALLY decided to forget about a 997 GT3 or GT2 like I still had in my mind for some time. I'm happy I ordered a 997 Turbo S, it may not be the fastest or lightest car around but I think it will provide me with that extra safety cushion I may need from time to time. I'm 40 now, maybe I just got old. But I know one thing for sure: today it wasn't fun at all driving my 997 CS and I came back home pretty frustrated.

Sorry to bother you with this story but maybe you had a similar experience and never wanted to really talk about it.
    Just be careful out there, it can happen to ANYBODY.

Re: One bad day is enough to be...dead

Sorry to hear about your rough day, and thanks for posting this reminder that we are all capable of making mistakes, especially when we are tired.

I certainly know where you're coming from. I have found that I often don't realise quite how tired, and how compromised my driving is... until I do something stupid. Then you 'sober up' a little. Honestly I would class driving tired to be as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than driving after a couple of drinks. There's no easy way of measuring exactly how tired you are though (is there?)

I recently put a small scuff on the corner of my front bumper while swinging round into a tight space as I was being harrased by a car that wanted to get past me. V.Annoying!

But have also made bad judgements about safe overtaking in the past. One time, in the dark, on a long commute I used to make every day, I misjudged exactly where I was on the road, and overtook on a part where there was a bend and dip coming up rather than the expected long straight. And something came the other way while I was mid-overtake - the lorry I was overtaking had to brake. Not clever!

So, yes, I second your comment RC. Be careful out there people, especially when you're tired!

Quote:
    RC said:Before you decide to buy a car without PSM (like the GT3/GT2/CGT), think twice: are you buying this car because it really allows you to be faster than in a non-PSM equipped car or are you buying it because you think it (the car) makes you faster just sitting in it.

This is SO TRUE. This is my opinion of 95% of GT3/GT2 buyers unfortunately, I love the GT3 it would be my choice since it best fits my preferences and driving style of the whole 911 model line, but the lack of PSM is a deal braker for me and keeps me off its owner list. There are other aspects that have and influence it like ground clearance and lack of rear seats, but no PSM is a non negotiable item since I drive the "in the street" and drive it hard, and its not only about your driving, you could be the best driver in the world and performing 100%, 100% of the time, but you are also dependant on the skills and situation of other driver's you share the road with, the elements, random incidents, unpredictable cirscumstances, etc. Unfortuantely, electronic stability systems which have proven to reduce road accidents of cars fitted with them by 30-50%, is an aid some people that are way too overconfident only realise is so important when it too late.

Glad nothing happened. Drive safe.

Sorry to hear about that RC.
    Please be careful, one tragedy was too much.
    You're only 40, that's way too early to call yourself old. Everyone has rough times in life, and I'm sure that things will get better very soon.

Last year at around this time I was having some very serious family problems and my life was absolutely chaotic. I had a huge work load on top of that, which didn't help the situation at all. I usually love driving cars, any kind of car, but during those few months I couldn't even take pleasure in that.

We're lucky to live in a time where our high performance cars come equipped with driver aids like PSM to do the thinking when we just can't.

Thanks for sharing the story with us, hopefully it made you feel a little better.

RC

First of all, good to see you back.

To be honest i was planning to wait for 997 gt2, but after reading your post,it made me think twice.

So true indeed. I just bought a 996 TT (PSM and 4wd) instead of a GT3. I have to admit the 4 seats were more decisive than PSM. The car's a missile nevertheless .

glad you're OK RC~~!

mental/physical fatigue is MONUMENTAL.
    the struggle really becomes how far can we push ourselves given how talented and/or our high-levels of cerebral aptitude imo

Glad you're ok RC. Don't let things get into you, take another mini vacation to chill out a little bit.

Thanks for sharing RC!

Yes, we must always think safety 1st.That shouldn't diminish the fun any. So many factors to consider.

Please be safe, and I hope your child is better soon too!

Almost thought we lost another rennteamer when I saw the topic! Thank goodness everyone is still all alive and well.

Don't push yourself too hard RC, hire someone to drive your for the next little while or something! Take it easy, one tiny step at a time.

Same thing happened to me a week ago, long day and overworked so I fell asleep behind the wheel of the Cayenne! swerved off the road but luckily PSM kicked in and save my ass, plus thank goodness there was no other cars on the road! It's true how PCM can buy you those "extra" inches between life and death! If you think about all the P-cars w/o PSM, they are wrecked most commonly, it's the CGT's, GT3's and GT2's

What I find puzzling is why Porsche sells the cars without PSM. I have no doubt people like Ben, Mike and some of the other owners of the CGT would still have bought the car.

Is Porsche catering to a macho mentality?

I raise this point because if you follow some of the other Porsche forums, I have been lobbying for PSM on these cars and have been flamed doing so. My view is these cars are not safe in the hands but a very few skilled drivers and professionals.

As the post above shows, even after Porsche training and Donahue instruction, a terrific driver like Leno lost control of the CGT. They tried to excuse the mishap on road debris. Right! The flew Leno in and gave him instructions on how to drive the car on the track and left debris on it? Who are they kidding?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    What I find puzzling is why Porsche sells the cars without PSM. I have no doubt people like Ben, Mike and some of the other owners of the CGT would still have bought the car.

I raise this point because if you follow some of the other Porsche forums, I have been lobbying for PSM on these cars and have been flamed doing so. My view is these cars are not safe in the hands but a very few skilled drivers and professionals.

As the post above shows, even after Porsche training and Donahue instruction, a terrific driver like Leno lost control of the CGT. They tried to excuse the mishap on road debris. Right! The flew Leno in and gave him instructions on how to drive the car on the track and left debris on it? Who are they kidding?

I'm gonna have to agree with Nick here, why on earth would Porsche not offer PSM (at least as an option) on all cars?

I'm hoping it will happen over time; don't forget that Ferrari only just introduced yaw control on their cars with the F430 and 612. Maybe with the 997GT3 and 997GT2 we'll see PSM finally made as an option.

I don't agree that these cars aren't safe in the hands but a very few skilled drivers and professionals though, it's all about self control and being aware of what you are doing. I feel safer in a car with PSM, but I make sure to be more careful in those cars without PSM.

We should never become reliant on technology like PSM, but in my opinion there's no reason not to have it there.

Quote:
    Raz (NC) said:I'm gonna have to agree with Nick here, why on earth would Porsche not offer PSM (at least as an option) on all cars?

That car was meant to be driven mainly on the track, where PSM would slow it down.I think they massively underestimated the success of the GT3 and were not expecting to have so many driven on the street, where PSM really counts. They know better now, I suppose that's why there's a rumour that the 997 GT3 will be fitted with some sort of PSM

Quote:
    RC said:
    And I also realized that the physical and mental condition of the driver is more than important, it is vital. I knew that before but maybe many of you don't realize it, until it is too late.

Christian,

Last night at 23:00, I was driving home from a long distance trip. At 80 mph my eyes felt like glass and my vision alternated between blurry and slightly blurry. I was having trouble resisting falling asleep at the wheel. Two hours earlier a friend told me how he narrowly missed hitting a deer at night on the highway some time ago. With that thought in mind, I, for the first time in my life, decided to exit the highway and take a twenty minute nap. An hour passed before I awoke from a deep sleep.

After the required sleep and McDonald's finest French fries, I resumed the journey only to find, to my dismay, that I was still drowsy. Had I not taken that nap to reduce, not eliminate, the fatigue I may not be here now typing this post.

Detective Harry Callahan would have twitched his lip with approval at my decision. Who knows what may have happened if I had not paid attention to his adage:

"A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote:
    Raz (NC) said:
    We should never become reliant on technology like PSM, but in my opinion there's no reason not to have it there.

Human nature. If PSM is present, we will rely on it. If absent, we are forced to use our experience and self-control. A Porsche which requires experience and self-control is what separates the regular ones from the GT versions and is probably the philosophical reason why Porsche refuses to offer PSM.

Catering to a macho mentality? Of course it is. These days it ain't cool to drive a Porsche with PSM especially when the darn thing cannot be switched off completely.

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    Raz (NC) said:I'm gonna have to agree with Nick here, why on earth would Porsche not offer PSM (at least as an option) on all cars?

That car was meant to be driven mainly on the track, where PSM would slow it down.I think they massively underestimated the success of the GT3 and were not expecting to have so many driven on the street, where PSM really counts. They know better now, I suppose that's why there's a rumour that the 997 GT3 will be fitted with some sort of PSM

But what's wrong with offering PSM as an option? Get it if you want it, don't get it if you don't want it.

Well, for starters, regular PSM doesn't get along with GT3's LSD.

Quote:
    brunner said:

How does ///M Division incorporate DSC with the M-differential in the E46 M3? Is the M-diff an LSD?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    What I find puzzling is why Porsche sells the cars without PSM. I have no doubt people like Ben, Mike and some of the other owners of the CGT would still have bought the car

Why doesn't F offer side/head airbags?

PSM should be standard ..

Quote:
    brunner said:

I can't claim intimate knowledge of Porsche's engineering, but I can say that there must be a way. Even if it means sacrificing the LSD if you do equip a car with PSM.

I also wouldn't agree that PSM slows everyone down on the track. Even for a really good driver, PSM doesn't have to intervene on the track.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    What I find puzzling is why Porsche sells the cars without PSM.

For one, when the GT3/GT2 came out PSM was incompatible with the rear LSD of these cars. Not its compatible but at the expense of lower locking rates. So one reason is technical.

Another is the fact that these cars are street cars designed for track use, and PSM cannot be completely swithced off for legal reasons.

And lastly, there is the macho image you mention, some of the sales of these cars go to buyers that just want the image, and PSM would waterdown that image for some of those.

I personally hope that the 997GT3 gets a PSM, with selectable setting like with the sportchrono, and one being for track use.

So there are several reasons for the lack of PSM and I agree with you should be resovled and implemented on the 997 GT3/GT2, but what puzzles me is that I have not seen you advocate equally the implementation of side airbags on the Ferrari lineup. They are not even option, which I think is even worse. That is simply medieval and increases greatly risk the lives of their drivers unnecesarily. You get hit or you hit something from the side and there is nothing protecting you from smashing your head and torso, something very tragic that their owners may not realise.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:

How does ///M Division incorporate DSC with the M-differential in the E46 M3? Is the M-diff an LSD?

Its a viscous-couplind differential (the E36-M3 did have a rear LSD but no DSC).

Quote:
    RC said:
    And I also realized that the physical and mental condition of the driver is more than important, it is vital. I knew that before but maybe many of you don't realize it, until it is too late.

Very, very true that the mental condition of the driver is a top factor for your security on the road. I realized this too a few years ago after having escaped almost by miracle from extremely dangerous situations.

At the time, the reasons were that I was very young and crazy and that driving was a kind of way to deliver me from the daily stress and work pressure. So, after another kind of miracle on the road, I decided to "clean myself up" and started with yoga exercizes and some other "look into your body and soul, manage and control your emotions" exercises.

And another miracle happened, that is a much better self-control in my daily life, an increased capacity to support stress and difficult situations, and on the road a very calm and more controled way of driving even at high speeds. I now know my own limits, have a better feeling of the potential for dangerous situations and a better "communication" with my car. And my wife feels quite secure now when I am driving

Re. Porsche and PSM in general. One should realize that performance of cars today has increased dramatically at a point where their limits are out of reach of 99% of the drivers today. I agree that PSM and all other electronic stuff is welcomed to rescue too optimistics drivers. But the reverse side effect is this electronic makes the driver feel so secure that he can simply forget its own limits. I live on the top of a mountain with a very nice mountain road to reach my house. Between two corners, I can accelerate to speeds like up to 140-150 kph without feeling the danger of a corner coming too fast. PSM, EPS, etc. will never save any life in such situations.

Anyway at the end, I concur with you and Nick on the benefits of electronic driving aids and the fact they are a must for a big majority of drivers. As for me, I am simply not a such a good driver, nor a track guy, so that I can even reach the point where PSM on my 997 starts working.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    What I find puzzling is why Porsche sells the cars without PSM.

For one, when the GT3/GT2 came out PSM was incompatible with the rear LSD of these cars. Not its compatible but at the expense of lower locking rates. So one reason is technical.

Another is the fact that these cars are street cars designed for track use, and PSM cannot be completely swithced off for legal reasons.

And lastly, there is the macho image you mention, some of the sales of these cars go to buyers that just want the image, and PSM would waterdown that image for some of those.

I personally hope that the 997GT3 gets a PSM, with selectable setting like with the sportchrono, and one being for track use.

So there are several reasons for the lack of PSM and I agree with you should be resovled and implemented on the 997 GT3/GT2, but what puzzles me is that I have not seen you advocate equally the implementation of side airbags on the Ferrari lineup. They are not even option, which I think is even worse. That is simply medieval and increases greatly risk the lives of their drivers unnecesarily. You get hit or you hit something from the side and there is nothing protecting you from smashing your head and torso, something very tragic that their owners may not realise.

Very good point Nick and Carlos,
    Carlos, you say that for legal reasons, an ESP cannot be totally switched off but I thought that the ESP on Maseratis and Ferraris was 100% switchable. The in house name is CST I think. Isn't BMW's also 100% disconnectable?
    For the F430, it is indeed shocking that the car doesn't have side impact protection, but I read that with the 360, the driver was sufficiently far enough from the door not to to install a side airbag. A bit lame if you ask me, would be interesting to see the state of a F430 driver after a 30 mph side impact by an H2
    FWIW, like another member wrote, I also believe Porsche underestimated the success of the GT3 lineup, mk1 and mk2. I'm venturing into a guess here but it wouldn't surprise me if over 90% of GT3 don't even do two track events per year. Human vanity has no limits, till you hit a tree, or even worse, someone else...
    RC,
    Glad you're fine, oh dear, and I was about to let you testdrive the upcoming X51 so you could compare!
    Seriously though, good for you, smart thinking, and like I always say, better be safe than sorry.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said: I was having trouble resisting falling asleep at the wheel.... for the first time in my life, decided to exit the highway and take a twenty minute nap. An hour passed before I awoke from a deep sleep.

I think that was a very wise decision, but one difficult to take, as the feeling of 'I'll be OK, I'll just keep going' is overwhelming. I keep caffeine pills (Pro Plus) in the car, so that on a bad drive home after a looong day, I can take 2 or 3, and that'll help a lot. There was a study on here on the caffeine content of service-station coffee which indicated that you'd have to drink several pints of the stuff to ingest enough caffeine to be any good at keeping you awake!

I seem also make 'new ' mistakes these days....
    After 'surviving' my young years with two car crashes ( the same day !!! ) I sometimes look back and think how lucky I was, specially between the age of 18 and 21, where I have been driving very fast with mood altering substances in my body and 'got away with it'.... thinking I was 'in control'....
    In my thirtys I thaught I now have a good balance between risk taking , control and maturity ....but still got some frights here and there in unexpected situations.
    Now, 39 years old, I find that I do 'stupid' mistakes!!! I get tyred , I day dream , get distracted, think about everything but what is going on the road and end up slamiing on the brakes for nothing.... Is this due to AGE ??????
    I still have 'the crazy side in me', but now that I have a family, two young kids, I do think more and more about safety, so I welcome PSM and AWD, and try to accept that I'm getting more responsible and might loose some of the exitment of my 'no fear days' ( eventhaugh I am not so happy about it )
    I do agree : Better SAFE than SORRY ( Hope I will remember this next time I think I' m doing a race on open roads.. .)

It only takes a second for your mind to be somewhere else and bad stuff can happen. I spun my Boxster when going round a bend at 20mph!!! The road was outside a car wash and the back end just went. I caught it and PSM did most of the work of getting it back but it was very scary. Just completely out of the blue!!

Better to back off sometimes and take it easy.

RC, whilst I can sympathise with you on your plight, I think there are many other people in way more worse situation than you like the flood/sunami/bomb victims all over the world.

On a lighter note, everyone gets bad days so just sieze the day and enjoy what you have while it lasts.You've still got your 997 TT to look forward to remember!!

On the subject of PSM, electronics can only do so much to save you. It doesn't stop you from running your car into a brick wall if you choose to drive about like an ar$e.

"but I almost crashed the car several times"

Sorry, but after my first "almost crash" I would slow down...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777385 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441758 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262803 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260988 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85263 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5590 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880670 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816033 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM