Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: GT4RS

blueflame:
    Grant:
    Schutzhund:

You have the new version.  You no longer need to back'em off 90 degrees.  Its in the manual.angel

Are you sure?  I think my GT3 manual (with newest version) requires that…

Last year my friends 992 GTS and my 991.2 GT3 Touring got new tires on the same day…I can confirm that in the 992 GTS manual the release and a second fastening is not necessary any more, just in the 991.2 manual.

We were surprised…

Blueflame

Thanks 

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.9L Twin-Plug MFI Carbon Fiber replica. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi, 06 EVO9 with track mods

blueflame:

@Gauss

Please show us your new tools from Hazet and the big breaking bar…and some pics from your first change.blush

Blueflame

Hey Frank,

The journey to my first wheel change was a long one. I actually wanted to buy the tools for it ever since my previous 991.2 GT3, intending to change the wheels myself because I don't quite trust the workshops anymore. Smiley

I bought the Hazet 6145-1ct torque wrench (300-800Nm). I inquired with Hazet and was told that I could also loosen the bolt up to 800 Nm. Unfortunately, that didn't work out, and I ended up buying a 950mm breaker bar. Sadly, all the pulling, pushing, and fiddling still did nothing, and I was almost fed up. Smiley Then, I purchased the Stahlwille MP300-1350 torque multiplier. Now, it finally works Smiley

The reaction arm is short. Initially, I laid it in a horizontal direction on a jack stand, but all the force ended up lifting the car by a good 10 cm. I got the tip to extend the reaction arm with a pipe that rests on the ground, and indeed, then nothing lifts anymore and the bolt loosens up quite easily. 

I've not snapped any photos unfortunately as I was working alone. I also used a quick-grip to operate the brake without always having to ask my wife. My next purchase will definitely be a scissor lift (Twinbusch or Quickjack).

I post some photos of the material I used tomorrow. 

Quite the process… I’m glad we can all learn from your experience…

mcdelaug:

Quite the process… I’m glad we can all learn from your experience…

Thanks Smiley 

Here's a photo of the tools I used. I must say that once you have the right tools and have done it once, having lived through the initial stress, then it becomes quite easy. Still a hassle, though. I am also glad that I opted for the torque multiplier instead of a very long breaker bar. This allows me to work close to the wheel, and I don't risk hitting the bodywork with the extension. I only use the ratchet with extension for loosening with a 1/4 turn (which also doesn't require such high torque forces, and the rods don't bend).

IMG_3155.jpg

Thanks for all the infos and the pic.kiss

The Stahlwille multiplier is not cheap…smiley.

Blueflame

blueflame:

Thanks for all the infos and the pic.kiss

The Stahlwille multiplier is not cheap…smiley.

Blueflame

Stahlwille stuff is not very common in US (people with nice tools buy Snap-On or similar), but it is the only thing I use for torque tools.  I think I have 5 different Stahlwille torque wrenches and a variety of attachments.

This place in Italy has best prices (for import, anyway):

www.misterworker.com

The only exception is I use a huge American torque wrench and huge breaker bar (Precision Instruments) because it is much cheaper and easier to use for centerlock wheel tightening.

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.9L Twin-Plug MFI Carbon Fiber replica. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi, 06 EVO9 with track mods

Sold my GT3 but I lived through the same issue. A simple tire replacement was not simple, as few shops had the required tools.

I never got any further, but was thinking controlled torque impact wrench from i.e. Milwaukee or similar. These are used by race teams every day on GT3 cars and other cars with similar centre luck systems. Has anyone considered such a tool and will it work on a street car where the wheels in contrast to racecars are not taken on/off all the time ?

If it does, it is so much easier.

The manual advises against using an impact wrench = Schlagschrauber in german.

IMG_1152.jpeg

Thanks Gauss. That makes it easy.

Right - you cannot use an impact wrench on the street cars (will destroy them quickly), but there is another (expensive) electric solution:

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/products/hytorc-center-lock-torque-gun

--

OK, I have to ask. Why would you change the tire yourself? Given the cost of the car and the complexity of changing a tire with center locks, would it make more sense to have a dealer do it?yes

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

nberry:

OK, I have to ask. Why would you change the tire yourself? Given the cost of the car and the complexity of changing a tire with center locks, would it make more sense to have a dealer do it?yes

I use my car solely for frequent trackday visits, which require regular checks for any weaknesses in brakes, suspension, wheels, etc., like cracks, signs of wear or leaks of fluids such as oil (for safety reasons).

I do have Manthey conduct an extensive vehicle inspection annually, before the season starts. The remaining visual inspections are carried out by myself before each trackday. If there is an issue, I then take it to Manthey for repairs, as I rent a garage close to their location.

Requesting an appointment with a dealer every time for this purpose doesn't make much sense. Additionally, part of the enjoyment in track driving is becoming more familiar with your car and undertaking some of the maintenance work personally. kiss

Makes sense.kiss

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

nberry:

I rotate my tires (swap left to right) after every track day to prolong the life of the tires (and many other tasks much easier with wheels off, like spark plug change).  The complexity of a wheel change is minimal - it's just a little annoying to need special tools and a willing friend (to sit in the car and press the brake and hold the steering wheel).

--

nberry:

Lets not make a wheel change more complex than needed. I am still not convinced that it has to be so complex, other than allowing the dealers to make a lot of money.

The new track season has begun and I did a few laps around the Nordschleife last evening. kiss The weather was perfect, with 20°C and sunshine. In my opinion, weekdays are the only days to enjoy fast laps there. There are no traffic jams at the end of the lap to exit, and there are plenty of parking spots available.

The track continues to thrill, and the car continues to make you deaf smiley. I've recently purchased AirPods Pro, and while the active noise cancellation helps, the constant pressure in my ears is a bit bothersome.

The new section in the Fuchsröhre is very fast. The bumps have been smoothed out and the absence of markings on the Nordschleife is an unusual sight. Also: the curb at the top is very harsh and it's now better to avoid driving over it. You can see it in the attached picture.

My plastic grilles in the front wheel arches are battered from tire debris and need replacing. These are wear items, after all. I wish there was a metal version available.

On April 19th, there will be a Nordschleife walk. It's always a fantastic event, and I'll be attending. Is anyone else from RT planning to join?

racetracker_26506237_426569.jpg

(click for better resolution)

Hi Joël, thanks for sharing! Fantastic feedback, and picture! Around what time would be the NS walk?

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 1991 Mercedes-Benz 500E / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2022 BMW M5 CS

It starts at 7.30 and ends at 9 pm. 

Participation is free if you own a season card. There are additional dates throughout the year

https://nuerburgring.de/experience/at-the-ring/trackwalk#info-trackwalk

Gauss:

The new section in the Fuchsröhre is very fast. The bumps have been smoothed out and the absence of markings on the Nordschleife is an unusual sight. Also: the curb at the top is very harsh and it's now better to avoid driving over it. You can see it in the attached picture.

Yes, the new season begins! 

The profile of the new curb is complete nonsense, I am awaiting the first people who remember the previous curb and will damage their car there and/or unsettle it to such an extend that they crash in the subsequent part of the track. 

By the way, looks like the MR-kit for the GT4 RS is about to be launched. SportAuto announced an article about it in the next edition.

You can already buy it. In Breidscheid there's a big advertisement sign (billboard) featuring a GT4 RS MR, which advertises a 6:40 BTG time.angel

I was at Manthey last Wednesday for a pre-season inspection check and picked up a product information booklet about the kit. Still it's exorbitantly priced at 42.500 €. 

That´s interesting! You could calculate the money spent for each saved second on the Nordschleife. Maybe it makes it more reasonable... 

indecision

Gauss:

The track continues to thrill, and the car continues to make you deaf smiley. I've recently purchased AirPods Pro, and while the active noise cancellation helps, the constant pressure in my ears is a bit bothersome.

Pussy. Smiley

Enjoy...and drive safely. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

A very cool pic Gausskiss.

Blueflame

RC:
    Gauss:

Pussy. Smiley

Enjoy...and drive safely. Smiley Smiley

Smiley I think I'm getting old. 

blueflame:

A very cool pic Gausskiss.

Blueflame

Smiley Looking forward to seeing your new toy in the Eifel soon.

GT4RS is not that loud… nor is it as stiff as some state… and the LWBs are not a big deal either… but I do wish it had the larger fuel tank as an option

Gauss: I am jealous. Would love to try the new section. For the moment I am booked only for September. 
    My car will come out of hibernation next week. 
    The suspension Manthey Kit is still on my mind …. But rationals keep me from doing it. Maybe once I ll know if my car will be a forever keeper, then I might reconsider. 
    That new curb is a bit crazy. I would not want to hit it coming up full speed. 

mcdelaug:

GT4RS is not that loud… nor is it as stiff as some state… and the LWBs are not a big deal either… but I do wish it had the larger fuel tank as an option

Have you been able to drive now extensively ? How do you like it ? 
    I do have the larger fuel tank on mine. 

Gnil:

Gauss: I am jealous. Would love to try the new section. For the moment I am booked only for September. 
    The suspension Manthey Kit is still on my mind …. But rationals keep me from doing it. Maybe once I ll know if my car will be a forever keeper, then I might reconsider. 

Also if you sell it to me, one day, I would prefer it WITH the suspension kit. So what's stopping. you? SmileySmiley

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 1991 Mercedes-Benz 500E / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2022 BMW M5 CS

Porker:
    Gnil:

Also if you sell it to me, one day, I would prefer it WITH the suspension kit. So what's stopping. you? SmileySmiley

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776907 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441599 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262721 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260869 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85142 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5529 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880585 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815752 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM