Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

DSG - Sequential Shifting Rumor Update

First it seems that our user "turbolite" was right, no DSG in the first 997 Turbo production year, maybe not even in the second. Right now the DSG is not capable of coping with the 997 Turbo torque. Rumors indicate over 600 Nm of torque CONSTANTLY between 1000 and 6000 rpm. Wow!

It is possible however that DSG will show up on the 997 GT3, maybe with some delay.

Re: DSG - Sequential Shifting Rumor Update

That's still is, very good news! Thanks RC.

Thank god we're gonna say goodbye to the old tiptronic and useless tranny.

Personaly, I would never see myself buying a porsche with an auto tranny, as for a ferrari, it's just the opposite. I would probably choose the F1 over the 6speed.

If the DSG will be available, I wouldn't be surprised to see more orders with the DSG than with the manual, even in europe. Let's just hope it will never end up like ferrari where 90% of F430,F360, f575 are automatics.

I've driven DSG, and I don't care if I can turn faster lap times with it. No clutch, no shifter, no fun. I just got no satisfaction or fun factor out of the DSG, and I was on a road course with it. It just made me feel like I could have just as much on my $199 PlayStation 2.

I just said "just" three times in 2 sentences. It's just not my day for writing. I'll just stop now.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I just said "just" three times in 2 sentences. It's just not my day for writing. I'll just stop now.

With just a little bit of perseverence you just might have been able to just beat your own record by finding a way of fitting a fourth "just" into one sentence. But you just decided to just give up. I guess you're just a quitter.

you just stopped...
    I can't imagine how it must be to drive DSG. A friend of mine drove it, and he said it felt like no gearchange involved; just the same amount of amazing power in all rev range... must be like driving an elecro car, but then faster!
    -Joost-

just stop with all the "justs," it's just making me feel rather unjust about justifying a DSG or not justifying one.

just my opinion

Quote:
    RC said:
    First it seems that our user "turbolite" was right, no DSG in the first 997 Turbo production year, maybe not even in the second. Right now the DSG is not capable of coping with the 997 Turbo torque. Rumors indicate over 600 Nm of torque CONSTANTLY between 1000 and 6000 rpm. Wow!

If my math is correct, 600nm is about 440ft-lbs (about the same as the 996TS, right?). Pulling from 1,000 rpm will be pretty stunning. I guess that would be due to the new variable vane on the turbo housing?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

If my math is correct, 600nm is about 440ft-lbs (about the same as the 996TS, right?). Pulling from 1,000 rpm will be pretty stunning. I guess that would be due to the new variable vane on the turbo housing?

Grant,

I had the same thought and did the same math (1 Newton-meter = 0.737 pound-foot of torque), so the remaining questions are:
    1. HOW MUCH OVER 600Nm,
    2. What peak torque and at what rpm's,
    3. What HP curve and peak at what rpm's,
    4. And what kerb weight?
    But over 600Nm at 1,000rpm's should be quite fun to experience.

What will be diffferent about the Porsche DSG as opposed to the Audi version?

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I've driven DSG, and I don't care if I can turn faster lap times with it. No clutch, no shifter, no fun. I just got no satisfaction or fun factor out of the DSG, and I was on a road course with it. It just made me feel like I could have just as much on my $199 PlayStation 2.

Just, just, just, just unbelieveable!

This is just ridiculous, Porsche is going to be the last sports car manufacturer , actually probably the last car manufacturer to offer a sequential-type gearbox, just why are they so slack?

It's just so frustrating.

i don trust the dsg ! cause i had an audi 3.2 tt with dsg before .! that thing gave me loads of problem sometime hasitation like 2 second delay!! some times just kick back hard in gear and make a big bang noise in the gearbox . thattttt hurtt!!!!

no way for dsg !!!!!

the thing about DSG is that it makes the car so easy and effortless to drive. slap it into automatic mode, try to ignore the few occasions where the computer is caught off guard, and you have yourself the convience of a slushbox auto without the embarrasment of driving one.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Took the words right out of my mouth!

I had DSG in my Audi TT and it was very good. However, Audi had problems with the torque of the 3.2 engine and it's nothing like in the league of the 997 TT!

Agree with comments about the DSG - it is just like playing on a Playstation - very clinical. However, it does make city driving VERY easy and starts away from traffic lights are very quick ie it's an easy drive.

I'm glad about the 600NM you mention, it means these variable turbines really work!
    I do not believe though that the tourque is the problem here, this clearly is an excuse. In fact the Bugatti DSG handles 1250NM of tourque.
    IMO the problem here is that Porsche has woken up late to this trend (they did not develop a proprietary system like bmw and ferrari) and VW has a lead on the industry of about two years in DSG. this is a supply issue and big fish get served first...

Quote:
    Danny G said:
    This is just ridiculous, Porsche is going to be the last sports car manufacturer , actually probably the last car manufacturer to offer a sequential-type gearbox, just why are they so slack?

Exactly my thoughts - it's 2005 for God's sake... Is a DSG type gearbox that difficult for Porsche to develop, given the rate of their other technological advancements?!

Quote:
    Danny G said:

maybe they're saving the best for last?

audi can develop the e gear for the lambo , sure porsche can do it . i think they just test it perfect on audi before they putting it onto their cars!!!

Why is Porsche so late in the game with DSG?? Maybe Porsche feels like I do. That it's monumentally uninvolving and makes what used to be challenging, stupifyingly easy. Most comments I see on the "pro" side seem to be giddy about how it makes driving fast so much easier, and "neat-o". After spending half a lifetime honing my skills with the old-school rock-box, I feel as though it's like giving a kid with zero athletic skills a basketball that will dribble and go through the hoop without fail. Neato, gee-whizo. I can imagine that the kid would be overjoyed, and every other kid would need to equip their basketball as-such to compete with him...but the other kids that like to play real basketball would rather play their own game, if they had their druthers.

Race car drivers and owners are forced to use it to be competitive, but I feel it's taken some of the "art" out of racing. Technology has its place in racing, and in road cars. But there's a point where the technology takes over the car. I can deal with a little computer controlled shock absorber tweaking, but I abhor traction control, I'm not a huge fan of ABS, and you can take your nerdy DSG and drop it off a cliff. It's a yawn and it makes me feel like I'm driving in a skirt and heels.

Anything can be improved, but some things can't be replaced. Part of the reason I love driving IS the shifting. Giving up the shifting, just to gain some smoothness or speed is a net loss for my entertainment. I don't want to flip paddles to shift gears, no more than I want to diddle a joystick or a trackball to steer. When I get behind the wheel of an old pre-great-depression goliath, with an unsynchronized gearbox, executing clean shifts is a challenge and a blast. It's something I'll always associate with enthusiast driving, old boat, or cutting-edge new sportscar.

How's THAT for a morning rant!!!!

I saw at the Nurburgring Nordscleife the new 997 Gt3 during a test ........
    i'm sure that they were testing the new DSG because the change time was too hight !

that's not entirely impossible, and given that they will miss the launch date for the TT with the DSG, it might be that they will offer it on the gt3 first. although some people dont like the idea, I'm sure it will be a big success on the sportiest model.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    the thing about DSG is that it makes the car so easy and effortless to drive. slap it into automatic mode, try to ignore the few occasions where the computer is caught off guard, and you have yourself the convience of a slushbox auto without the embarrasment of driving one.

Without the embarassment of an auto, but without the involvement and challenge of a proper manual

Development, and then durability testing takes a looonnnngggggg time. Just because you see something being tested, doesn't mean it's months away, or even a year away from sitting in the showroom.

One of my favorite quotes that John Coletti (ex Ford SVT boss) said to me:

"Kid, do ya know how long it takes to do a one year durability and wear analysis test?"

"A YEAR".

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Why is Porsche so late in the game with DSG??

I am afraid that the simple answer to this questions is: maximize share price by saving money wherever possible

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Pretty damn good But I'd still like to drive a 997TT with DSG to see how it is. I've never been a tiptronic fan; and have always enjoyed the involvement of a manual. Nevertheless, the traffic in London, and what looks like a potentially vast improvement over the current tiptronic, might just make me go for it. Let's wait and see.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Why is Porsche so late in the game with DSG?? Maybe Porsche feels like I do. That it's monumentally uninvolving and makes what used to be challenging, stupifyingly easy. Most comments I see on the "pro" side seem to be giddy about how it makes driving fast so much easier, and "neat-o". After spending half a lifetime honing my skills with the old-school rock-box, I feel as though it's like giving a kid with zero athletic skills a basketball that will dribble and go through the hoop without fail. Neato, gee-whizo. I can imagine that the kid would be overjoyed, and every other kid would need to equip their basketball as-such to compete with him...but the other kids that like to play real basketball would rather play their own game, if they had their druthers.

Race car drivers and owners are forced to use it to be competitive, but I feel it's taken some of the "art" out of racing. Technology has its place in racing, and in road cars. But there's a point where the technology takes over the car. I can deal with a little computer controlled shock absorber tweaking, but I abhor traction control, I'm not a huge fan of ABS, and you can take your nerdy DSG and drop it off a cliff. It's a yawn and it makes me feel like I'm driving in a skirt and heels.

Anything can be improved, but some things can't be replaced. Part of the reason I love driving IS the shifting. Giving up the shifting, just to gain some smoothness or speed is a net loss for my entertainment. I don't want to flip paddles to shift gears, no more than I want to diddle a joystick or a trackball to steer. When I get behind the wheel of an old pre-great-depression goliath, with an unsynchronized gearbox, executing clean shifts is a challenge and a blast. It's something I'll always associate with enthusiast driving, old boat, or cutting-edge new sportscar.

Your rant should be the mission statement for the dinosaur club. Not only do you manage to trash most if not all technology but for good measure you throw in a mix of sexism. You should be the poster child for all that is old and backward.

Quote:
    crayphile said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Pretty damn good But I'd still like to drive a 997TT with DSG to see how it is. I've never been a tiptronic fan; and have always enjoyed the involvement of a manual. Nevertheless, the traffic in London, and what looks like a potentially vast improvement over the current tiptronic, might just make me go for it. Let's wait and see.

If DSG reduced acceleration up to 200kph by a second or so this would also be a strong argument for ordering it...

In the end the Porsche TT has a strong reputation for being the fastest and most efficient sports car around. That is why I like any innovation that makes the car faster. If it is sheer driving pleasure you are after the perfect car should be a Ferrari

Quote:
    crayphile said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Agreed. Have to say that when I had the DSG in my Audi, nothing could beat me from the lights (yes, I know, childish and all that), but considering how much more power the 997 TT will have, it will be very tempting.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776736 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441521 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262683 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260821 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85097 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5500 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880529 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815663 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM