Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Welcome to the new Taycan Forum!

That's the car I saw running at Nardo late 2022. 

--

I’ll reserve judgement until a credible lap time is set with the EV replacement for the Boxster/Cayman.  If Porsche can deliver a competent handling car, despite no lushest engine sounds, and do it reliably, then I will be convinced that EVs are really the future of performance cars.  This also means have a range, at highway speeds, of around 300 miles. 

I asked my dealer to list me for whatever the EV replacement of the GT4RS will be…

Just two seconds off the pace of the Rimac Nevera at the Ring.   Amazing.

GT-Boy:

But why is the Rimac 5 seconds slower than the GT3 with almost 4 times the power?

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.9L Twin-Plug MFI Carbon Fiber replica. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi, 06 EVO9 with track mods

Grant:
    GT-Boy:

But why is the Rimac 5 seconds slower than the GT3 with almost 4 times the power?

If only we had a 1,936lb curb weight clue as to why. Smiley

Enmanuel:
    Grant:
    GT-Boy:

If only we had a 1,936kg curb weight clue as to why. Smiley

So, it weighs 150% as much but has 400% the power with AWD and fancy torque vectoring and is still slower? 

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.9L Twin-Plug MFI Carbon Fiber replica. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi, 06 EVO9 with track mods

Grant:
    Enmanuel:
    Grant:
    GT-Boy:

If only we had a 1,936kg curb weight clue as to why. Smiley

So, it weighs 150% as much but has 400% the power with AWD and fancy torque vectoring and is still slower? 

--

You forgot to include better and lower weight distribution too.  We also know that Porsche will not allow, even if it is possible, to have the EV replacement for the Cayman better the GT3 time too. 

Interesting, I thought:

"The Taycan also posted double-digit gains, with 40,629 customers taking delivery of their new car (+17 per cent)."

Porsche posts stable sales in 2023: strong growth for the 911 and Taycan

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2024/company/porsche-deliveries-2023-34942.html

Did Porsche incentivize sales like Audi did with the e-tron GT in the States?

Out of Spec just posted a video of them getting over 450 miles with four people on board.  If this holds, Porsche may have cracked several issues with EVs, but again at what cost?

Needs more than a minor exterior refresh..

Wonderbar:

Needs more than a minor exterior refresh..

There is a significant upgrade in the prime mover system including a larger battery pack, faster charging, and more efficiency.  That’s where all the work happened.  Seeing the car reach over 450 miles with four passenger while driven for nearly 10 hours at an average speed of 50 mph is impressive. 

Agree with improvements in efficiency, range, charging and most likely performance.  I’m just saying that the EXTERIOR styling needs more IMHO than front fascia openings, etc. More excitement, more connection to Porsche’s racing pedigree. And what about rear legroom issue?

I like the Taycan, just think it could be more visually exciting…

Remaining charging curve champ.  https://youtu.be/YyuvG8Ey1JA?si=ywSRib7BbPwiFSu6

Porsche gets it with EVs. They did proper engineering with the car.

What's the biggest barrier for people to buy a EV? Takes too long to charge, and one has to baby the battery and cannot treat it like a normal automobile.

Unlike Tesla who neglects about cooling, Porsche engineering enough cooling in the car's electronics to get the best possible charging speed possible, not unlike how they over engineer their brakes to have no heat soak and fade. 

Their battery also do not degrade, so people can keep doing with they do with normal cars with a Porsche EV. Fill it to full, use it down to whatever, then charge it up, like how any normal person with a gas tank. They don't have to do what Tesla owners have to do, like only charge to 80% to 'protect' the battery. Porsche took care of that on behalf of the owners. Owners can just use it like any other normal automobile. 

10 mins to put in 65kWh? That's like a full charge in a Model 3/Y which will take like 40 mins. Even the Korean 800V cars takes almost 30 mins to do that. 

--

Good analysis, thanks Nick. But I will also say that the availability of charging stations may still a problem for many potential owners. My wife was seriously considering a Tesla a year ago, but noted that while we were on a trip to Vermont, charging stations were pretty scarce. That made her mind up not to get the car. I do like Teslas, but they are more of an  from urban car in my opinion. 

Infrastructure was/is/will always be the weakest link in the adoption of EVs. Charging stations NEED to be as dense as gas stations. Especially when charging is slower than filling a gas tank even with the fastest charging car. 

Certain people 'think' public charging is over rated when there is home charging. That's completely wrong. They aren't the same. Most people won't have access to those, i.e. street parking or parkades. And while some new build apartment complexes have chargers, those are limited in number and are also shared by many. 

Tesla already have the best public charging network out there, and if that's still inadequate for your use case, then EVs aren't for you yet. Maybe never will be.

EVs are a solution for urban city driving. They do clean up the air pollution in populated area, not that they 'clean' it up but shifted the pollution somewhere else. Longer drives not so much with the lack of infrastructure as you noted. Some diehards will say NO, it's doable for them or whatever, they say they will hyper mile the drive and/or stop a few more times. That's like me saying sure it's doable to head to Home Depot and buy a couple yards of soil in the 918, I just have to repackage them into smaller bags to fit in the front trunk and do 500 trips. It's doable, right? What's the point. Proper tools for the proper job.

Of all the cities in the world, my city is the most suited for EVs. We have the highest gas price in all of North America, and we have the cleanest and one of the cheapest electricity as ours come from hydro power. The city also isn't too spread out, it's under 100km round trip commute for 99% of the population. No surprise then for 2023, a full 25% of all new car sales is EV/hybrids but overall, the total on the road hovers around 10% or so. Many lives in high-rise with no easy access to chargers and public chargers are not great in numbers. 

--

Hi Nick

On my last trip to Germany, i spoke with one my suppliers, who has a 4 year old Audi etron SUV, he said that after this time the battery only has a charge for about 280 km. You had one these, did you find the same battery degradation? Not sure what the mileage was on the car, but it is used everyday so I would assume 15/20k km per year. He likes it, and has the Q4 etron has it's replacement on order.

Thanks

AJ

There clearly aren't enough charging stations but even among those charging stations that do exist, only a small fraction are the "Fast Charging" stations that can fully take advantage of the fast charge capability of the latest Porsche.  Here in the USA, it seems odd to boast about charging in 10 minutes when there are virtually no public stations that can charge that fast.

AJ:

Hi Nick

On my last trip to Germany, i spoke with one my suppliers, who has a 4 year old Audi etron SUV, he said that after this time the battery only has a charge for about 280 km. You had one these, did you find the same battery degradation? Not sure what the mileage was on the car, but it is used everyday so I would assume 15/20k km per year. He likes it, and has the Q4 etron has it's replacement on order.

Thanks

AJ

Hmm, honestly, I didn't see any meaningful degradation over the 3 year lease I had on my e-Tron. Was close to 20k km on the clock. When brand new, the car show a 330 ish km range, and that's pretty accurate as I did multiple 310km round trip to my other place. At the end of my lease, think it was around the same estimated range and also made the same trip with some charges left. 

And yes, I drove it like any other normal car, I didn't 'baby' the battery. I charge it to full, then drive it to empty and then charge it again. I didn't do that stupid charge to 80% and plug it in every night thing those Tesla owners loves to do because that's how their battery works. 

--

GT-Boy:

There clearly aren't enough charging stations but even among those charging stations that do exist, only a small fraction are the "Fast Charging" stations that can fully take advantage of the fast charge capability of the latest Porsche.  Here in the USA, it seems odd to boast about charging in 10 minutes when there are virtually no public stations that can charge that fast.

Well, in the USA the only chargers capable of such speed are the 350kW EA ones, while those aren't everywhere and also a lot aren't working properly, technically it's still doable. 

The last gen Taycan are capped at 270kW max because of onboard electronics limitation with the same chargers. 

--

I’m a bit surprised that no one, besides myself, seem to post about the new Taycan update. Here’s another Out of Spec video on many of the changes underneath the skin. https://youtu.be/11XbivJhsLA?si=q2vx8NQWzlLw1J02  Probably the most surprising aspect is that the Taycan no longer has a 48 volt subsystem. Voltages are 12 volts and 800 volts with PDCC no longer offered. Instead Porsche is equipping every new Taycan with a two stage air spring system and optional is a dynamic suspension similar to what Audi offers on the S8, however, the Taycan system is hydraulic.  These are massive changes and if Porsche can finally make this car reliable, it moves the EV game ahead.  

Today EV's are electric typewriters. Their future is 10 years from now. Why anyone would buy an EV today is puzzling. You're essentially doing the R&D for the segment.

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

nberry:

Today EV's are electric typewriters. Their future is 10 years from now. Why anyone would buy an EV today is puzzling. You're essentially doing the R&D for the segment.

In 10 years there might be computers that can do the job like electric typewriters, making them obsolete. 

--

Nick, that's what I was referring to.kiss 

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776672 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441505 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262671 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260803 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85082 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5494 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880516 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815639 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM