Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ordering a Carrera S ( UK )

I'm new to the world of porsche but I have fallen in love with the 997. Therefore I want one, or at least want to find out more about ordering one...

Used prices of 997's(04,54,05) are round about the exact same as new ones. I assume this is because there is a huge lead time on new orders? if I was to walk into a dealer today with a deposit, when could I expect delivery?

I also heard that some dealers wouldn't even consider taking my order unless I order a whole bunch of optional extras aswell, is this true?

I'm also interested to hear what people are paying insurance wise on their 997s? I'm only 24 and as you can imagine not many people 'quote me happy'

regards

Re: Ordering a Carrera S ( UK )

1. Lead times aren't too long on the 997 now. Phone around a few OPC's and you should be able to get one to your spec within 3/4 months.
    2. I've not heard of dealers not accepting orders if you don't add loads of options. In fact my new Boxster has only Pounds3k of options. If a dealer says that to you, then just walk away, there will be another dealer willing to take your order.
    3. Can't help with the insurance, as my car is on a fleet policy

If you need to worry too much about the insurance, and I'm guessing at 24 you are probably looking at Pounds1,500 - Pounds2,000 + then you are probably stretching your finances too far with buying the car in the first place. In reality I'm probably just envious as I was twice your age before I could afford a Boxster! Welcome to Rennteam, by the way.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    If you need to worry too much about the insurance, and I'm guessing at 24 you are probably looking at Pounds1,500 - Pounds2,000 + then you are probably stretching your finances too far with buying the car in the first place. In reality I'm probably just envious as I was twice your age before I could afford a Boxster! Welcome to Rennteam, by the way.

It'd be quite a bit more than Pounds2k! It's not so much the stretching of finances on the insurance, more the fact that it seems like alot of money for nothing? does that make sense.

I can always get my mum to insure it I guess

Aged 48 insurance cost me 1100 pounds with full no claims. My options were around 3000 pounds and had no problem sticking to that.

Quote:
    luko said:
    I'm new to the world of porsche but I have fallen in love with the 997. Therefore I want one, or at least want to find out more about ordering one...

Used prices of 997's(04,54,05) are round about the exact same as new ones. I assume this is because there is a huge lead time on new orders? if I was to walk into a dealer today with a deposit, when could I expect delivery?

I also heard that some dealers wouldn't even consider taking my order unless I order a whole bunch of optional extras aswell, is this true?

I'm also interested to hear what people are paying insurance wise on their 997s? I'm only 24 and as you can imagine not many people 'quote me happy'

regards

You should be able to negotiate upto Pounds4 to 5k off list as long as you are not trading in a car, especially if you wait a couple of months when the market slows down. There are plenty of cars around.

Insurance will remain a big issue until you are 30 plus.

Quote:
    crayphile said:
    You should be able to negotiate upto Pounds4 to 5k off list as long as you are not trading in a car, especially if you wait a couple of months when the market slows down. There are plenty of cars around.

that much of a discount?? that's good news. I wasn't expecting any. Online brokers don't offer any discounts.

U will find that insurance quotes will vary greatly from differecnt insurance companies. It also depends on location and where u live. I was quoted Pounds2000 to over Pounds4500 for car....

Pays to make some phone calls... trust me!!!
    Great choice of car....U will enjoy it

Quote:
    crayphile said:
    Quote:
    luko said:

regards

Are you serious about 5K of a new 997 are have I misread your post

He meant 4k - 5k off a used 997 i think

Quote:
    robbo said:
    He meant 4k - 5k off a used 997 i think

Yes, most definitely used and not new

i waited til my 25th bday, and i still pay Pounds2700

but you have to do it!!

Agree 5/6k off the new price if you buy private with up to 8k on the clock

I am livid that boys in there mid-20s can afford (11s! Please give me some career advice, as going into the law was obviously the wrong call!

I wanted a C2 cab, and was told the earliest I could get one was May 2006. It's actualy much easier and quicker to get a C2S cab, as the factory makes more. I called about 8 OPCs and finally managed to get a cancellation which should be delivered this month. I was lucky and waited only 2 months. Have about Pounds3.5K of options.

I'm 36 and the best insurance quote I got was with Direct Line at Pounds1108, though a lot of guys got good deals with Priviledge as well.

Best of luck with the car.

Quote:
    eddie said:
    I am livid that boys in there mid-20s can afford (11s! Please give me some career advice, as going into the law was obviously the wrong call!

I'm an 'adult' webmaster. Definitley not a carrer for everybody.

At least you have job security!

I got my 997 when i was 23, just in time for me graduating from university

as for insurance, the cheapest i managed to get was through elephant! their quotes seem to vary on a daily basis for some reason, what you get quoted on a monday, may not be the same as what you'l get quoted on a friday. I spent a whole day on the phone, with various insurers, alot of them wont even insure you because of being sub -30 yrs old!!(discrimination!!)

My insurance is up for reneweal later this month, and i am going to try Porsche Insurance, as i would rather go through them then anyone else, at least that way i know i will get approved porsche repairs etc..

Reading all these posts it sounds like either I'm the highest insurance risk on the planet or I'm doing something wrong!!!

I am 34 and OK I live in central London but I have a full no claims and clean licence and keep the car in a 24 hour patrolled garage, but I pay about Pounds3000 a year for insurance through Porsche's scheme which is run by Marsh. What did I do wrong???

Quote:
    Nilesh said:

as for insurance, the cheapest i managed to get was through elephant! their quotes seem to vary on a daily basis for some reason, what you get quoted on a monday, may not be the same as what you'l get quoted on a friday. I spent a whole day on the phone, with various insurers, alot of them wont even insure you because of being sub -30 yrs old!!(discrimination!!)

My insurance is up for reneweal later this month, and i am going to try Porsche Insurance, as i would rather go through them then anyone else, at least that way i know i will get approved porsche repairs etc..

Can I ask how much insurance you pay? Elephant always drums up the cheapest quotes for me too. The and First Alternative.

Quote:
    senator said:
    Reading all these posts it sounds like either I'm the highest insurance risk on the planet or I'm doing something wrong!!!

I am 34 and OK I live in central London but I have a full no claims and clean licence and keep the car in a 24 hour patrolled garage, but I pay about Pounds3000 a year for insurance through Porsche's scheme which is run by Marsh. What did I do wrong???

FYI my Porsche quote was Pounds1758 with tracker and Pounds1851 without (give or take a few quid). I really don't see them as good value.

Quote:
    luko said:
    Quote:
    eddie said:

I'm an 'adult' webmaster. Definitley not a carrer for everybody.

Forgive me Luko, but there is something incredibly unfair about having a dream (though morally questionable) job and a dream car!

Quote:
    senator said:

Central London is a killer, and some post codes are far worse than others. You should be able to get better than that though, I am 31 and in EC1 and I think I am paying about 1800 with Privilege. I was paying about 2800 at one point though.

Quote:
    Nilesh said:

your insurer has to carry out repairs where you request it... so if you request an OPC, they have to do that. The only difference is that you have to pay a small supplement to insure the courtesy car.

I was using elephant when i had an accident in a BMW i used to have... i got the repairs from a BMW dealer....

and i wouldn't mind being an 'adult' webmaster!!

instead i slave away in an investment bank...

Try direct line. Got quoted Pounds1100 for 997S although did not end up buying the car. Also in central london, in U/G parking and similar no claims to urself.....I remember that Porsche insurance was definitely higher quote than one received from D/Line....

I am with porsche insurance as didnt want to go with a company i couldnt trust 100%.They quoted me Pounds1700 to begin with but that dropped to Pounds1200 when i faxed them a copy of a quote from Norwich union for Pounds1200.It was a no brainer for me as they didnt require a tracker either

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762169 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435212 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260443 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257499 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80920 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872077 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807477 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM