Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Turbo Engine Rumor

Like the title says, just a rumor and I pass it on.
    The source isn't too reliable but it provided one or two pretty accurate infos in the past too, so I just pass it on and you guys decide for yourself if you believe it or not.

Turbo gets 480 HP, engine based on the GT2 MkII engine, just a few things modified to improve emissions, noise regulations and to adapt the engine to ESP/4WD, etc.
    3.6 l engine with two turbo chargers, two intercoolers, etc.

Turbo S gets 520 HP, engine based on a slightly new generation of turbo engines which of course is also based on the "old" 996TT/993/GT1 engine design. Displacement is very likely in the 3.8 l to 4.0 l range. Turbo chargers seem to have a "cooling system" (water, oil, whatever).

Turbo S gets another new(?) PCCB generation with 370 or 380 mm brake discs front, 355s rear.
    There is also the possibility of various engine programs, for example one to reduce power(boost) to save fuel or another one which delivers some sort of overboost for a few seconds, increasing power to even more than 520 HP.

Again: RUMORS!!! There were more details available but due to reduced credibility and/or the likelihood that if they're true, they may unveil our source, I left them away. Sorry.

And now let the speculation begin.

BTW: the 997 Turbo will NOT be at the Frankfurt Autoshow.
    Introduction very likely in Geneva or Detroit(Geneva is more likely, Detroit will host the GT3).

Re: 997 Turbo Engine Rumor

Maybe the reason they seem to be delaying the intro is because they're still tweaking the car to perform better than the 430 and the Z06?

Based on this news, turbo and turbo S will differ more then the in the 996 generation?
    More like a Carrera/ Carrera S type of difference?
    Bigger brakes, Larger displacement, etc..

Anyway, impressive news, especially the news about the engine programs!

Just a thought of my own: If the turbo is based on the GT1 engine, won't that be the same for the GT3 engine? which was also based on the gt1 engine in the 996..

I'd say the horsepower gap has been bridged. I just can't imagine a 520HP 911. What a SICK machine that will be.

Thanks RC.

I hope all this is true. 996 Turbo " S " was mostly American car company style badge engineering - the powerkit's ECU reflash with larger turbos, some mods to aid cooling the higher power and throw in the troublesome first gen PCCBs at a discount to clear the warehouse and std wheels painted " brake dust " grey.

thanks RC very interesting

Quote:
    MKW said:
    I hope all this is true. 996 Turbo " S " was mostly American car company style badge engineering - the powerkit's ECU reflash with larger turbos, some mods to aid cooling the higher power and throw in the troublesome first gen PCCBs at a discount to clear the warehouse and std wheels painted " brake dust " grey.

Agree that 996TTS was a quick&dirty rebadging game, though a great car ...but I believe the PCCBs are 2.0 version. Hard to offer big reds on $130K 996TTS, as those brakes are now std on $80K 997S...

Interesting that none of these 997TTS rumors even mention DSG availability at launch....

Quote:
    MKW said:

MKW,

PCCB's on the 996T"S" (at least the 2005 models) are the "second-gen." brakes.

Have you had the opportunity to own/drive a 996TS? For those who haven't, if RC's source is on the mark, I'd highly recommend that you get in line for the "S" if it's going to be an "updated" 996T"S," especially if it's a 4.0L/520-ishHP car with potentially more (for the engineers out there-is this a potential application of the variable geometry turbo's, or just a tweak of the ECU?). As tuners have demo'ed, there's lots of reserve power in the 996TT engine within reasonable reliability limits. Just keep the car on a diet.

BTW, 997TT unveiling in Geneva or Detroit? I'd much rather travel to Geneva.

RC... have you heard anything about the weight of the car?

I would like the next turbo (s or non-s alike) to get a significant weight decrease.

Quote:
    AeroSmith said:
    I'd say the horsepower gap has been bridged. I just can't imagine a 520HP 911. What a SICK machine that will be.

Thanks RC.

You mean what a HEALTHY machine that will be.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:

I was thinking the same thing. I think I'm going to make vacation plans to Geneva, regardless. I think the auto show will be interesting to attend. Hopefully, I can play some golf in the area, although I don't know if March in that area means snow.

After this rumor i definitively can't sleep...

520Hp are a dream...i will go to the Gt3 to save money and have a great car..but 520HP are something to make me think about..

If i go to my dealer to tell him to change again my preprepreorder i think is the time he broke something on my head..

those cars make me crazy

ciau

Dario, remember what Walter told you: GT3 for track, 997 to catch girls!!
    So 997 turbo S will have 2 simil-ECU(1 for save fuel the onther one to pass everyone....).I'm asking myself if this cheat will be activate by press SPORT button

Darius,pleaze stay on the gt3..a very MACHO-Car

Quote:
    andrea said:
    So 997 turbo S will have 2 simil-ECU(1 for save fuel the onther one to pass everyone....).I'm asking myself if this cheat will be activate by press SPORT button

Maybe like the new M5's sport button does

Turbo gets 500 bhp but officially only 495 bhp, and the s powerkitted version officially hits above the 500 bhp mark at 520bhp

something like button P400hp and P500???

As I mentioned almost two months ago here on rennteam, the Porsche turbo will be the first car with VTG - variable geometry turbine - in the world for a petrol engine. these turbochargers are very closely related to the vgt turbo built onto the latest Audi 3.0 turbodiesel. in fact it's a variation of these 50mm turbos. the reason why these kind of turbos have not been used with petrol engines so far is the much higher temperature of the exhaus gasses than on a diesel (approx. 100 - 150 C. more).
    expect a fenomenal tourque diagram for the new turbo guys!!
    and btw. in two days you'll hear the dsg news on rennteam first...

cheers

Quote:
    turbolite said:

cheers

Now we're talking

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Maybe the reason they seem to be delaying the intro is because they're still tweaking the car to perform better than the 430 and the Z06?

Delay? What delay are you speaking of? There is no delay.
    Most people even don't know that the 997 Turbo is coming next year and I'm not sure Porsche likes this information to be spread around because of the used car value dropping on "older" 996 Turbo/Turbo S models.

Again, guys: the whole engine stuff is just a rumor but right now it is very difficult to get accurate information about ANYTHING regarding the 997 Turbo from Porsche. Some guys over there even still deny it is coming but at least they do it with a grin on their face.

Quote:
    turbolite said:

cheers

Hell yeha!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Some guys over there even still deny it is coming but at least they do it with a grin on their face.

Is Turbo a new product from Porsche?

wow.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:

I was thinking the same thing. I think I'm going to make vacation plans to Geneva, regardless. I think the auto show will be interesting to attend. Hopefully, I can play some golf in the area, although I don't know if March in that area means snow.

I realize Detroit isn't that sought-after a town....but what's not to like, aside from the lack of a Four Seasons-level hotel, edible food or high-end "entertainment"?

They should do more unveilings in LV...lot easier for travel by the bulk of the buyer base....and entertainment and amenities that set the right tone.....

Quote:
    turbolite said:
    As I mentioned almost two months ago here on rennteam, the Porsche turbo will be the first car with VTG - variable geometry turbine - in the world for a petrol engine...

I also said this the first time you posted the above info. Chrysler had a petrol engine in a production model about twenty years ago that utilized this technology.

Greg A

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

Delay? What delay are you speaking of? There is no delay.

Weren't they suppose to announce at the Frankfurt Auto Show?

sorry ..............sticazzi!
    if they put the turboboost i became crazyyyyyyyyyyy!!

Quote:
    RC said:
    The source isn't too reliable but it provided one or two pretty accurate infos in the past too, so I just pass it on and you guys decide for yourself if you believe it or not.

Turbo gets 480 HP, engine based on the GT2 MkII engine, just a few things modified to improve emissions, noise regulations and to adapt the engine to ESP/4WD, etc.

Turbo S gets 520 HP, engine based on a slightly new generation of turbo engines which of course is also based on the "old" 996TT/993/GT1 engine design. Displacement is very likely in the 3.8 l to 4.0 l range. Turbo chargers seem to have a "cooling system" (water, oil, whatever).

Turbo S gets another new(?) PCCB generation with 370 or 380 mm brake discs front, 355s rear.
    There is also the possibility of various engine programs, for example one to reduce power(boost) to save fuel or another one which delivers some sort of overboost for a few seconds, increasing power to even more than 520 HP.

Again: RUMORS!!! There were more details available but due to reduced credibility and/or the likelihood that if they're true, they may unveil our source, I left them away. Sorry.

Introduction very likely in Geneva or Detroit(Geneva is more likely, Detroit will host the GT3).

and no rumours about DSG, even for "normal" models ?

Quote:
    RC said:

@ turbochargers:
    they should be VTG with 50mm diameter; probably made of heatproof austenitic cast steel (resists up to 1050 celsius). re cooling: most petrol engine turbos are equipped with water cooled central housings, due to the higher temperatures than diesel. when the engine shuts down, the residual heat is carried away by means of a small cooling circuit, which is driven by a thermostatically controlled electric water pump.

@ DSG
    I dont think there will be a DSG available next year. which means the new turbo will be launched without it; big disappointment IMO..

cheers

sorry to tell you crayphile, but there will be no DSG til 2007. I think that really sucks, cause it means that even a track car like th 997 gt3 will first be without it. rememeber how the resale value of the M3 fell when the SMG version came out? quite unfortunate...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776074 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441085 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262440 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260616 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84991 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880115 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815135 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM