Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

uncomfortable driving positon what to do?

I've had my 2006 CabS for about 700 miles and every time I drive for extended periods of time the muscles over the lateral side of my hip get sore, I have to internally rotate my left leg (rotate my left foot and leg clockwise) to properly engage the clutch pedal (sorry I am an Orthopedic Surgeon). Perhaps the clutch pedal it to close to the break pedal for me? I have adaptive sport seats and I have tried to adjust the bolsters to circumvent this without much luck. I am 5'10" 180lbs and I otherwise fit in the seat perfectly. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any solutions?

Re: uncomfortable driving positon what to do?

I have the adaptive seats too and the outer sides of my thighs get a bit compressed and slightly-to-annoyingly uncomfortable. I'm a normal build etc. Anyway, I figure two things will happen over time. My thighs will get used to it and the seat cushioning will start to relax (break in). So my advice, since you've only done 700 miles, is to wait and see and hope for the best.

WOW..an orthopod and you spelled all the words correctly,congrats!

Punch the clutch faster and don't break too often... pressing the gas helps reduce this discomfort faster... I think it has something to so with the flight time incurred and do not by any means get your car with PSE due to the strain caused by grinning and constant chuckling.

Call me in the morning and we'll evaluate... 1-800-911S-CAB

Sorry I am absolutely of NO help whatsoever

Quote:
    rpspa said:

Spelt not 'spelled'

orthopods are docs?

always thought they were PTs masquerading as chiropractors~~

Quote:
    jjr1 said:
    Quote:
    rpspa said:

Spelt not 'spelled'

lol...
    English teacher

I had a few aches and pains at the start, took a while to get the seat position right, then probably just got accustomed to it. No such issues now. Hopefully just a time in the seat thing for you too!!

Make absolutely sure you have deflated the bottom bolsters fully so that they are in the full expanded position. It took me a week when I first got the car to realize they were somewhat inflated and closer in than would be comfortable.

I am 5'10" and 195. I found the Adaptive seats to be very uncomfortable. Far too much constriction especially with the upper squad bolsters. My back was only resting on the bolsters. Strongly recommend sitting in these for a while before you order.

Quote:
    jjr1 said:
    Quote:
    rpspa said:

Spelt not 'spelled'

And don't forget: BRAKE not BREAK... sorry, I've been lurking, needed to get that out of my system...

Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    orthopods are docs?

always thought they were PTs masquerading as chiropractors~~

Ouch! 4 years of med school and 5 years of surgery training and you really think I am a glorified Chiropractor!

So my advice, since you've only done 700 miles, is to wait and see and hope for the best.

My fingers are crossed

Ok, I am taking that as a compliment

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Make absolutely sure you have deflated the bottom bolsters fully so that they are in the full expanded position. It took me a week when I first got the car to realize they were somewhat inflated and closer in than would be comfortable.

Nice tip-thanx

you should....I have worked with many Orthos and respect your work.

Try driving with the boisters in as tight as possible this will cause the leather to loosen up and within a few weeks driving with the bolsters right oyt will be fine

Oh, I just thought of this, maybe nothing. Anyway get two friends, you and one of them squeeze the bolsters as much as humanly possible as the other guys presses the deflate button. This way you'll get the airbags to be completely emptied of any cushioning air. Something to try.

Quote:
    kevinm said:
    I've had my 2006 CabS for about 700 miles and every time I drive for extended periods of time the muscles over the lateral side of my hip get sore, I have to internally rotate my left leg (rotate my left foot and leg clockwise) to properly engage the clutch pedal (sorry I am an Orthopedic Surgeon). Perhaps the clutch pedal it to close to the break pedal for me? I have adaptive sport seats and I have tried to adjust the bolsters to circumvent this without much luck. I am 5'10" 180lbs and I otherwise fit in the seat perfectly. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any solutions?

Do you adduct you left thigh to reach the cluth with the foot or do actually internally rotate the whole L.E. instead to reach with the foot for some reason? Could you be straining the lat hip rotators due to excessive the internal thigh rotation? you should adduct the L.E. if any, not internally rotate it to reach the clutch.

If we are talking about the lat hip rot muscles, then since some of the the lat hip rotators also share hip extension funtion (Glut Max, med and mininmus), lowering the angle of attack of the seat bottom will decrease tension on these muscles by decreasing extension of the thigh (tilting the seat more foward i.e. the foward par lower than the rear aspect i.e. "+ theta X" rotation in biomechanic coordinates). As well as sitting to much foward to the wheel/pedals will exacerbate this as well. So make sure you check and try varying the seat tilt and distance setting.

Also too much rearward tilt of the seat bottom (or the back rest too) will lead to a decrease in the lumbar lordosis which may in turn lead or contribute to several lumbo-pelvic mechanisms of injury/stress that can all lead to posturally related pain in the lat hip area (lumbar facet syndrome, sacroiliac syndrome, myofacial triggerpoint syndrome, L5 root irritation, piriformis syndrome, etc.). No concomittant lowback pain asso. with the this complaint?

You mention the side bolsters may have influence... is the pain really muscular in origin, or is the pain just tissue soreness in the lat hip area from the "pressure/rubbing" the bolsters may exert? cause the latter would be a different issue altogether.

Sorry, I have more questions that answers but its hard to get to the bottom if the issue without more info, you know how it is

This just in: I was just blabbing with a pal of mine who coincidentally bought a BMW with sport seats like I did a while back. We both remember our a**es and thighs killing us when we first got the cars. Then, eventually, it just went away. The seats or we adapted.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    kevinm said:

Do you adduct you left thigh to reach the cluth with the foot or do actually internally rotate the whole L.E. instead to reach with the foot for some reason? Could you be straining the lat hip rotators due to excessive the internal thigh rotation? you should adduct the L.E. if any, not internally rotate it to reach the clutch.

If we are talking about the lat hip rot muscles, then since some of the the lat hip rotators also share hip extension funtion (Glut Max, med and mininmus), lowering the angle of attack of the seat bottom will decrease tension on these muscles by decreasing extension of the thigh (tilting the seat more foward i.e. the foward par lower than the rear aspect i.e. "+ theta X" rotation in biomechanic coordinates). As well as sitting to much foward to the wheel/pedals will exacerbate this as well. So make sure you check and try varying the seat tilt and distance setting.

Also too much rearward tilt of the seat bottom (or the back rest too) will lead to a decrease in the lumbar lordosis which may in turn lead or contribute to several lumbo-pelvic mechanisms of injury/stress that can all lead to posturally related pain in the lat hip area (lumbar facet syndrome, sacroiliac syndrome, myofacial triggerpoint syndrome, L5 root irritation, piriformis syndrome, etc.). No concomittant lowback pain asso. with the this complaint?

You mention the side bolsters may have influence... is the pain really muscular in origin, or is the pain just tissue soreness in the lat hip area from the "pressure/rubbing" the bolsters may exert? cause the latter would be a different issue altogether.

Sorry, I have more questions that answers but its hard to get to the bottom if the issue without more info, you know how it is

You took the words right out of my mouth Carlos ..

throt..

Hey Carlos thanx for the imput

I am internally rotating my entire leg as well as some adduction of the thigh to properly engage the clutch pedal. If I don't internally rotate my foot is not square on the clutch as this feels strange. The pain is over my trochanter and I am developing a mild trochanteric bursitis when I drive but goes quickly away when I get out of the car. I don't think it is pressure from the bolster but muscle pain from the rotation. I don't have back pain at all. I have tried your suggestion about bottom seat tilt and it does seam to make it better. Deflatting the bolster fully also helps some. Any other suggestions? Thanx again.

I see, kevinm. No LBP rules out more serious ethiologies, so maybe with the seat corrections the muscles may adapt in time and decrease their strain on their insertion on the trochanter causing the pain.
    But to aid this process and avoid developing a lesion in the process of "adapting", I would stretch the lat rotarors/extensors of the hip (bring flexed knee to opposite shoulder while lying supine) and myofacial triggerpoint therapy or massge on the dorsal hip muscles (especially the gluteus medius and minimus since they affect the trochanteric bursa).

I will pay attention to my seating position since I don't recall needing to int rot my L.E. to reach adecuately the cluth, only slight adduction, and I am you same height, but maybe I haven't noticed

Too Much !!!

OK back to basics , Kev are you sure you have'nt got a beer can wedged underneath the clutch pedal causing tension ..

Simple diagnosis from -- throt..

Dr. Carlos, sounds like your in the same field. For what its worth give it some more time and play with the controls, it takes time to get it right. I'm 47 years old and have had 2 lumbar discectomies (first one re-ruptured) on discs L4-5 and L5-S1 about 2 years apart. Finally pain free and the adaptive sport seats proved to be worth every penny (along with the 35 pounds I had to loose in the last 4 years). At 6'1" and now 185 lbs, the seat fits flawlessly and adjusts so many ways. The distance to the pedals is important and on a couple of occasions my foot cramped up (right foot). Once you get the perfect settings don't forget the memory buttons on the door otherwise its very difficult to get it "just right" every time. Good Luck.

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    Dr. Carlos, sounds like your in the same field. For what its worth give it some more time and play with the controls, it takes time to get it right. I'm 47 years old and have had 2 lumbar discectomies (first one re-ruptured) on discs L4-5 and L5-S1 about 2 years apart. Finally pain free and the adaptive sport seats proved to be worth every penny (along with the 35 pounds I had to loose in the last 4 years). At 6'1" and now 185 lbs, the seat fits flawlessly and adjusts so many ways. The distance to the pedals is important and on a couple of occasions my foot cramped up (right foot). Once you get the perfect settings don't forget the memory buttons on the door otherwise its very difficult to get it "just right" every time. Good Luck.

Great example to all because I would of guess with your back history the seats would of proved to hard regardless of settings ..

Graet news your comfortable though..

throt..

Worst case scenario you could get a TIP

That is exact rerason I got a TIP, The clutsh way too cemterlay (Medially) located to me.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I see, kevinm. No LBP rules out more serious ethiologies, so maybe with the seat corrections the muscles may adapt in time and decrease their strain on their insertion on the trochanter causing the pain.
    But to aid this process and avoid developing a lesion in the process of "adapting", I would stretch the lat rotarors/extensors of the hip (bring flexed knee to opposite shoulder while lying supine) and myofacial triggerpoint therapy or massge on the dorsal hip muscles (especially the gluteus medius and minimus since they affect the trochanteric bursa).

I will pay attention to my seating position since I don't recall needing to int rot my L.E. to reach adecuately the cluth, only slight adduction, and I am you same height, but maybe I haven't noticed

Drove again today am its getting better with the adjusted tilt and the bolsters fully deflated. Stretching before I drive man my girl is going to laugh here A@$ Off.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689935 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409431 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255838 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235070 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65578 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858184 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774294 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM