Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 Turbo S ordered

Just checked with my friend who ordered his Turbo S cab...Despite him giving me a highly descriptive order - it turns out that it's only a deposit! He says the spec sheet will be out in another month... no wonder RC has disappeared in such a cloud of mystery!

Will there be a surprise in Frankfurt

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Will there be a surprise in Frankfurt

Not on the Turbo front though. As zzboba pointed out the Turbo will be launched at Geneva in March '06 and probably available in April/May.

This is driving me crazy...

Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    i think RC is just kidding with us... GOOD ONE RC!!! you definetly got our attention!! :-)

Good reverse psychology DB 997 .

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

yeah, thanks RC.
    Drove me so crazy that I just got off the phone with my dealer and left a second deposit. Now I have a deposit for the Turbo Cab and Turbo S cab. If they release the S's in Turbo form like they have been with the 997 line instead of launching the S's afterwards like the 996 Turbos I want an S.

If not I'll get the Turbo cab and trade for the Turbo S cab when it comes out.

There's gotta be something they can do to heal me.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

yeah, thanks RC.
    Drove me so crazy that I just got off the phone with my dealer and left a second deposit. Now I have a deposit for the Turbo Cab and Turbo S cab. If they release the S's in Turbo form like they have been with the 997 line instead of launching the S's afterwards like the 996 Turbos I want an S.

Stradale! I'm almost as bad as you

Took delivery of a Techart CTT in Jan - went to Miami rented an S Cab - fell in love and ordered a C4s cab

I've even made noises about the upcoming Panamera to my dealer.....now that is a real beauty!

Quote:
    mish said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

yeah, thanks RC.

Stradale! I'm almost as bad as you

Took delivery of a Techart CTT in Jan - went to Miami rented an S Cab - fell in love and ordered a C4s cab

I've even made noises about the upcoming Panamera to my dealer.....now that is a real beauty!

Yup you're certifiable too.
    I have a feeling you're really gonna love the C4S Cab. Everything I've been reading sounds dynamite. I've been having a ball with my 997 S cab. Great car.

What colors are you getting ?

The Panamera is going to be a stunner.

Guys, I ORDERED it, meaning: no deposit but my signature under a valid contract. In Germany we don't have deposits (only ordering the CGT required a 50000 Euro deposit), some dealers accept reservations, some demand a signature to give you a fixed slot. And this is what I did.
    I still hope to get one of the first cars available but of course there is nothing 100% sure as long as the specs aren't officially available. Right now only one thing seems for sure: 997 Turbo gets 480 HP. Now do the math and guess how much the Turbo S gets. I don't have a price tag yet but I assume it is in the 996 Turbo range plus around 5000-10000 Euro.

Only one thing: if you want a 997 Turbo, make sure you talk to your dealer(s) NOW because once they hit the street...well, some guys learned it the hard way when I got the first 996 Turbo in June 2000 and some people in the US paid up to 30000-50000(!) USD premium to get one in six months or immediately. If they just would have listened... And NO, no more details from me, sorry.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Guys, I ORDERED it, meaning: no deposit but my signature under a valid contract. In Germany we don't have deposits (only ordering the CGT required a 50000 Euro deposit), some dealers accept reservations, some demand a signature to give you a fixed slot. And this is what I did.
    I still hope to get one of the first cars available but of course there is nothing 100% sure as long as the specs aren't officially available. Right now only one thing seems for sure: 997 Turbo gets 480 HP. Now do the math and guess how much the Turbo S gets. I don't have a price tag yet but I assume it is in the 996 Turbo range plus around 5000-10000 Euro.

Only one thing: if you want a 997 Turbo, make sure you talk to your dealer(s) NOW because once they hit the street...well, some guys learned it the hard way when I got the first 996 Turbo in June 2000 and some people in the US paid up to 30000-50000(!) USD premium to get one in six months or immediately. If they just would have listened... And NO, no more details from me, sorry.

You lucky bastard!!!
    Now sell your 997 for a rennteam-privileged price to me

By the way we're all eagerly awaiting your report (with pictures) from your trip to Cannes!

Quote:
    Porker said:
    You lucky bastard!!!
    Now sell your 997 for a rennteam-privileged price to me

By the way we're all eagerly awaiting your report (with pictures) from your trip to Cannes!

I'm afraid my 997 Carrera S has been leased, since I drove the first one, guess why. Same happens with the 997 Turbo S.

Of course nothing is 100% sure, there is still a little chance that there won't be a Turbo S and even a bigger chance that I have to wait longer.
    I just hope to be lucky and I also hope that my dealer and Porsche know that they're selling a car to a real enthusiast, including first reviews on the internet.
    But of course they would do that ONLY if they're sure the 997 Turbo S is the hell of a car. And I have no doubt about it.

Regarding the trip to South France: don't expect spectacular pictures but a nice review including an "overheating" problem but NOT the engine (it is actually pretty funny, just wait for the little write-up).

Quote:
    RC said:

Thanks. Now I feel a bit better.

I'm ready RC. Only I ordered the cab. It will be the dealers first car. I still wonder if they are going to release the S with the Turbo or do it like the 996 Turbo's releasing the S's after some time. In either case I ordered both, the Turbo S cab and the Turbo cab. Whichever comes first.

Quote:
    RC said: Right now only one thing seems for sure: 997 Turbo gets 480 HP. Now do the math and guess how much the Turbo S gets.

525HP!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I'm ready RC. Only I ordered the cab. It will be the dealers first car. I still wonder if they are going to release the S with the Turbo or do it like the 996 Turbo's releasing the S's after some time. In either case I ordered both, the Turbo S cab and the Turbo cab. Whichever comes first.

Stradale,

I'm even more out in the deep end than all you guys: I've got a deposit with my dealer-#3 in line for any 997TT they assemble in Zuffenhausen (TCoupe, TSCoupe, TCab, TSCab, GT2. . .), and I'm still trying to hold out for the TSCab. Thank God I have a 996TSCab to pacify me. Doesn't make the wait any shorter, though. . . .

Quote:
    RC said:

Already on-list to get first 997TTS at a couple of P dealers
    No doubt 997TTS will crush 430 in N-ring times
    Should be interesting to see where P prices 997TTS....given its most direct sales competitor in US, SL55, is $126K base....and 996TTS base is $131K.....not a lot of room for price increases...so I doubt 997TTS will command the after-mkt premiums that 996TT commanded in the pre-SL55 era....
    Let's be real....most US buyers of $200K+ 430s will choose btwn SL55/997TTS as their daily commuter cars...and use the relatively slow 430 for wkend driving/visceral&aural pleasures/poseur activity....

Quote:
    RC said:
    Right now only one thing seems for sure: 997 Turbo gets 480 HP. Now do the math and guess how much the Turbo S gets.

You mean 480 + 30 = 510

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Right now only one thing seems for sure: 997 Turbo gets 480 HP. Now do the math and guess how much the Turbo S gets.

You mean 480 + 30 = 510

997 plus 9.23 % = 997S

turbo plus 9.23% = 525 hp (roughly)

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

You mean 480 + 30 = 510

997 plus 9.23 % = 997S

turbo plus 9.23% = 525 hp (roughly)

That's pretty good. I was going by:

997 to 997S is 30 HP (355 minus 325)
    996TT to 996TTS is 29 HP (444 minus 415)

I figured that Porshe would continue with their incremental, crummy increase. Therefore:

997TT to 997TTS is 480 + 30 = 510 HP

I reokon around 525 considering the upcomming 430CS and Gallardo revision will be around that figure.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Guys, I ORDERED it... specs aren't officially available...I don't have a price tag yet

Respect! Order something without a spec and price tag. Brave! I guess you can pull out of that contract if you want? So in theory you bougth a call option on the 997TS which you can exercise in-the-money. Nice

spoke to my dealer here in Frankfurt; he said the car will very probably be at clients in spring/summer. he didnt know if two versions would be there from the start, but he spoke of 480hp for the normal turbo and 550 (!!) for the S. quit a lot thinkin about it.... you are a lucky fellow!

Quote:
    turbolite said:
    spoke to my dealer here in Frankfurt; he said the car will very probably be at clients in spring/summer. he didnt know if two versions would be there from the start, but he spoke of 480hp for the normal turbo and 550 (!!) for the S. quit a lot thinkin about it.... you are a lucky fellow!

Based on what RC said if the Turbo comes with 480hp the "S" version should follow the same hp upgrade as the Carrera and Carrera S around 35 more hp which makes the Turbo S a 515 hp.

But of course these are all speculations.

When a car has 480 HP, would one even feel the 35 extra HP? I'd hope it's more. Or maybe just a cheaper price.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Stradale,

I'm even more out in the deep end than all you guys: I've got a deposit with my dealer-#3 in line for any 997TT they assemble in Zuffenhausen (TCoupe, TSCoupe, TCab, TSCab, GT2. . .), and I'm still trying to hold out for the TSCab. Thank God I have a 996TSCab to pacify me. Doesn't make the wait any shorter, though. . . .

You put down 5 deposits ?
    I'm #1 on my dealers list for both the Turbo Cab and Turbo S cab. I put down $1000 deposits on each. Don't want a coupe.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Stradale,

I'm #1 on my dealers list for both the Turbo Cab and Turbo S cab. I put down $1000 deposits on each. Don't want a coupe.

It looks like more than 5 as he said (...GT2...). I think it means ..., GT2 Cab, GT2S, GT2S Cab.

Quote:
    turbolite said:

If it's 550 for the S, I'll be surprised. Happy, but surprised. That would be a pretty aggressive jump.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    turbolite said:

If it's 550 for the S, I'll be surprised. Happy, but surprised. That would be a pretty aggressive jump.

I would also be very happy about 550hp in the 997TTS.

However, 550hp is nearly impossible: A 997TT with 550hp would be quicker to 300 km/h than the Carrera GT. Porsche would never do that.

P.S.: The RS runing Kit with 542hp for the 996TT has produced a 28 seconds time for 0-300 km/h in a sportauto test...

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Stradale,

Fortunately no,

The sole deposit covers all the bases: My dealer says the deposit covers any of the turbo's-my impression is that the "deposit" is simply an unofficial recognition that we are committed to a future 997TT transaction, not really "legally" binding, just a way the interested buyer can tell the dealer he plans to order a car, and puts down some greenbacks to prove this. Different from a flight reservation on an airline. So when orders/specs. can be set, I get "priority" for the fixed production schedule. But they did smirk/smile when I said I might want any one of those 5 possibilites and hopefully soon I would decide exactly which 997TT I'd order. It sounds like different dealers attach different meanings to these deposits around the country (and world).

Quote:
    Isaac said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Stradale,

It looks like more than 5 as he said (...GT2...). I think it means ..., GT2 Cab, GT2S, GT2S Cab.

You've heard rumours of a GT2SCab?!?!?!?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689176 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409013 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255665 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234912 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65485 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857833 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773814 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM