Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Installing PSE on my '05 Cab Tomorrow

Real excited. My cab has Sport Chrono Plus, so I'm going to hook up the PSE to it - pressing 'Sport' button will also activate PSE. Any do's/don'ts?

FWIW, my cab has Bose but does not have PASM.

Patriot
    '05 Carrera Cab (Arctic Silver/Stone Grey/Black)

Re: Installing PSE on my '05 Cab Tomorrow

i still dont get why would someone pay $5000 for an exhaust with sound only! and you can get with the same money one with sound and power ( the extra Hp)!
    why go for porsche then? i'd personally go for a gemballa or AWE. It makes more sense or am i missing something ?

Quote:
    kickdown said:
    i still dont get why would someone pay $5000 for an exhaust with sound only! and you can get with the same money one with sound and power ( the extra Hp)!
    why go for porsche then? i'd personally go for a gemballa or AWE. It makes more sense or am i missing something ?

It's not $5000. It's more like $3000, with installation. And it's the best option on my 997S, by far. Even cheaper if you're able to have it ordered with your Porsche instead of as a retrofit, obviously. You appreciate it everytime you step on the gas. Try to find a friend who has one so that you can see for yourself if it's for you. And, I would rather have a Porsche (at least supported by Porsche) option than a 3rd party add-on, even if it means no additional HP.

you're really going to enjoy it patriot!!!

1 thing, ask your mechanic if he can not connect the parts going to the speedo, because that's what turns on/off the cut-off valves, if they are disconnected from the speedo, it should stay on PSE all the time when sport is activated!

From what i've heard, you wont regret it.

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    From what i've heard, you wont regret it.

You won't regret it!!!!

Is the best option to go for!!!

I asked the same questions before installing the PSE.

1) It's not $5000. I had PSE installed w/ labor for $2500.

2) If you install an after-market exhaust you risk voiding your warranty on a brand new $100,000 Porsche. Would an after-market exhaust cause any problems - most likely not but you can bet if a problem arises they will blaim the non approved after-market exhaust.

3) The hp claims that after-market exhaust companies make are generally bs. Look at the amount of modified parts in the X51 package for 26 hp.

4)The sound. After-market exhausts sound aweful when compared to the PSE.

5) The PSE chrome tips are better looking imo then any after-market exhaust.

6) Residual value. The PSE is something you will get some money back for in the end. With an after-market exhaust not only will you lose the money you spent , sometimes it will actually diminsh the cars value.

7)With PSE you have the option of turning it on or off with the Sport button. For me this is a huge plus. I've recently re-connected the hose so that I can put PSE on when I want to but can also leave it off like I did on the way in to work this morning because I took a co-worker in that needed a ride and wanted the car quiet so we could discuss buisness.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

7)With PSE you have the option of turning it on or off with the Sport button. For me this is a huge plus. I've recently re-connected the hose so that I can put PSE on when I want to but can also leave it off like I did on the way in to work this morning because I took a co-worker in that needed a ride and wanted the car quiet so we could discuss buisness.

Stradale,
    I also liked the possibility to switch between on and off mode with my 996, especially on long motorway trips where after a while, it is much nicer to enjoy a good CD without that permanent drone in the background, granted it's not THAT loud, but the tech allows you to have it off at will so might as well.
    Having said that, I presume you now have the cut off when your PSE is ON, thing that I didn't have in the 996.
    Seems more complex in the 997 as it is DME dependant now.
    My question is, what's your opinion about the cut off?
    Is it a pain or is it perfectly fine?
    As you have had enough experience with the PSE on all the time, I figured your opinion would be useful.
    Thanks.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Stradale,
    I also liked the possibility to switch between on and off mode with my 996, especially on long motorway trips where after a while, it is much nicer to enjoy a good CD without that permanent drone in the background, granted it's not THAT loud, but the tech allows you to have it off at will so might as well.
    Having said that, I presume you now have the cut off when your PSE is ON, thing that I didn't have in the 996.
    Seems more complex in the 997 as it is DME dependant now.
    My question is, what's your opinion about the cut off?
    Is it a pain or is it perfectly fine?
    As you have had enough experience with the PSE on all the time, I figured your opinion would be useful.
    Thanks.

When I picked up my car the hose was connected, I drove it like that for 2 weeks.
    I disconnected the hose and drove approx 2500 miles like that. With it on all the time.
    Recently I re-connected the hose to make it more interesting.

The cut-off is somewhat annoying. Obviously it would be a lot better if it was on all the time (when on) and off all the time when off. But for the time being I like being able to turn it on and off when I want to from the dash. For now it's not annoying enough to switch it back to being on all the time. It's not awful. You notice it but it's not something that is irritating, a little annoying but not irritating (to me anyway). Don't know how else to classify it, hope that helps. I think it's also much more noticeable in the cabriolet. There's a big diffrenece in sound level of the PSE when my top is up compared to it being down.

Isn't there a mod that can be done to the PSE module so that, when on, it doesn't cut out below a certain speed?

I would think that would be ideal. When you want it on it would be on. When you want it off it would be off.

The only mod. that I know of is removing the vacumm hose so that it is on all the time w/ no cut-off at any speed.. Then you lose the ability to turn it off from the sport button.

Here's the mod I was thinking of.

But I think that's on a 996. I wonder if it can be done on the 997 as well???? I would do it if it was possible.

read my post earlier in this thread, jeez am i the invisible man or something? i just told you how to turn it on and off without the cutoff disconnect the parts that link to the speedometer and the PSE will be on all the time when the sport mode is on

what happened with the PSE did u install it???

tell us your opinion, mine will be installed on Monday

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    read my post earlier in this thread, jeez am i the invisible man or something? i just told you how to turn it on and off without the cutoff disconnect the parts that link to the speedometer and the PSE will be on all the time when the sport mode is on

Where is that part that links to the speedometer Mike?
    Man, I was told the PSE was DME dependant, not speedo dependant, that makes everything much easier now!
    Is this a procedure that one can do himself, or does it need to be done by a Porsche Mechanic?
    Thanks.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Is this a procedure that one can do himself, or does it need to be done by a Porsche Mechanic?
    Thanks.

yeah as far as i know you need a porsche mechanic to do it, look at the "loudness" modification thread, red997 made a post about how his mechanics got it right

How about THIS mod???

It would be weird if it was speedo dependant because it doesn't turn off and back on at the same speeds. It varies depending on load.

Mike - Could you give us anymore info ?

That's for a 996. Don't think it would work for a 997.

Mike,
    Just saw red's posts on the loudness thread. Did you see this part ?

"I talked to the dealership today and they said the speedo disconnect will NOT work if you have the sport chrono package. If you don't, it WILL work. Unfortunately, I also have the sport chrono package. However, they did suggest that rather than disconnect the hose and have it in PSE mode all the time they could fabricate a small on-off value that would allow me to turn it on and off via the value. I am go with this since it would be much easier than connecting and disconnecting the rubber feed line. Plus you don't have to contend with plugging the two holes and then somehow securing the line."

i must have missed that post! what "valve" is red talking about?!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Mike,
    Just saw red's posts on the loudness thread. Did you see this part ?

"I talked to the dealership today and they said the speedo disconnect will NOT work if you have the sport chrono package. If you don't, it WILL work. Unfortunately, I also have the sport chrono package. However, they did suggest that rather than disconnect the hose and have it in PSE mode all the time they could fabricate a small on-off value that would allow me to turn it on and off via the value. I am go with this since it would be much easier than connecting and disconnecting the rubber feed line. Plus you don't have to contend with plugging the two holes and then somehow securing the line."

So if one doesn't have the Sport Chrono (like my X51 on order) how does one perform the speedo disconnect???

I test drove a 997S yesterday that was fitted with the PSE. It seemed to me that when I turned on the sport mode at any speed that you could here the change in the sound of the exhaust. This was important to me as I currently drive a VW R32, and it also has a feature where an exhaust flap opens up based on speed, and RPM's. I a planning on ordering a C4S, and was quite happy with the way the Porsche system appreared to work. Sounds like this may not be the case. I'll have to go back to the dealer and check this out.

Quote:
    Rapture said:
    I test drove a 997S yesterday that was fitted with the PSE. It seemed to me that when I turned on the sport mode at any speed that you could here the change in the sound of the exhaust.

That doesn't sound right. You should have heard it get loud and then cut-off and then get loud again as you accelerate.

you are gonna love it... smiles for many miles baby

Patriot you did not tell us your opinion on the PSE you installed, did you got you car back??

What's your opinion?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689540 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409223 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255735 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234987 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857960 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774022 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM