Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: M5 E60 versus 993 Turbo S Euro, 996 Turbo X50 Tech, Gallardo

If you get any probs br d send me a PM , I'll pop to the dealer and pick it up for yu .

You know it makes sense , Im a nice bloke .

Kind Regards ..

throt..

Re: M5 E60 versus 993 Turbo S Euro, 996 Turbo X50 Tech, Gall

g'luck with the arm br d! how bout some pics of your new baby?

Thanks for sharing awesome shots .

Grats Br D! I hope it's not the camera arm that's affected.

Get better.

Re: I was driving my C2S Cab today and ....

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    hamilton93 said:
    So M5 0-62mph of 4.6 is not real, it must be faster if it smoked a C2S. What is the true 0-62 of the M5

i was talking about from a 70mph roll on, in acceleration the m5 and the c2s will be similar, but on top speeds the M5 pulls away from the C2s quite easily

When you're talking about a 500 flippin horsepower car, 0-62 is more a factor of traction and weight transfer than it is quickness. The tires are the limiting factor. It's not surprising AT ALL that the M5 is no quicker than a 997S 0-62. Due to the engine being front mounted, the tire size, and all of the dynamics involved, I would imagine that you can't really go full-throttle until 30 mph without totally putting the tires up in smoke.

I've said it a million times. If you're comparing a Honda Civic to a Kia Rio, 0-62 works dandy. If you're comparing a new M5 to a Mercedes E55, FORGET 0-62, it just tells you what the rear tires are able to withstand.

You tell them boss ..

throt..

Mike your are responsible for causing a stir , now get out on the highway , find it and kick its butt..

Go on ..

throt..

PS : In the 997S that is... ..

How does he do it?
    Boss, I don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to performance cars, but reading your post's is always an education. Do me a favour, sell all those beauties in your garage, come to England, kick the sh!t out of Jeremy Clarkson and start giving proper reviews of the latest cars.

In fact, forget the reviews, just come here and kick the sh!t out of Clarkson, that'll do.

br d

LMAO br d , But the boss could be one of these pushy little dudes that just get pushy with the window still up..

" kick the [censored] out of Clarkson " LOL ..

throt..

Quote:
    br d said:
    How does he do it?
    Boss, I don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to performance cars, but reading your post's is always an education. Do me a favour, sell all those beauties in your garage, come to England, kick the sh!t out of Jeremy Clarkson and start giving proper reviews of the latest cars.

In fact, forget the reviews, just come here and kick the sh!t out of Clarkson, that'll do.

br d

Quote:
    throt said:
    If you get any probs br d send me a PM , I'll pop to the dealer and pick it up for yu .

Kind Regards ..

throt..

Lol! Thanks throt, if I can't make it you'll be the 97th person who's offered to cover for me.

Can't complain though, a few broken bones is a just a minor hiccup in the big scheme of things. Never dreamed I'd ever be in a position to own my dream car. It's all good!

br d

Quote:
    br d said:
    Quote:
    throt said:

Kind Regards ..

throt..

Lol! Thanks throt, if I can't make it you'll be the 97th person who's offered to cover for me.

Can't complain though, a few broken bones is a just a minor hiccup in the big scheme of things. Never dreamed I'd ever be in a position to own my dream car. It's all good!

br d

Sweet , enjoy it mate ..

throt..

br d , you either give me far too much credit, or you are the high priest in the art of sarcasm!! In either event, I appreciate the kind remarks.

Throt, think about it... If I were suffering from a chronic case of Napoleon Syndrome, I would have a million-times-over (on this site) blown a gasket like a Chihuahua cornered at a kennel!!! I would like to think I keep my composure, despite my often serrated opinions. If you consider my frequent multi-paragraph diatribes to be "harnessed astute analysis" rather than simply the overwrought ramblings of a blowhard egomaniac, then I'M THE AUTO JOURNALIST FOR YOU, by jingle!!!

Jeremy Clarkson is a punk. Bring it....

BTW, I don't hide behind windows, and I'm 6'1", but I've found in the distant past that rolling DOWN the window is a great way to get socked in the jaw, and a lousy way to get any kind of leverage on a reciprocal blow.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    br d , you either give me far too much credit, or you are the high priest in the art of sarcasm!! In either event, I appreciate the kind remarks.

Throt, think about it... If I were suffering from a chronic case of Napoleon Syndrome, I would have a million-times-over (on this site) blown a gasket like a Chihuahua cornered at a kennel!!! I would like to think I keep my composure, despite my often serrated opinions. If you consider my frequent multi-paragraph diatribes to be "harnessed astute analysis" rather than simply the overwrought ramblings of a blowhard egomaniac, then I'M THE AUTO JOURNALIST FOR YOU, by jingle!!!

Quite quite ,

by jo !! .. " You scally wag " I was hoping for a bigger bollocking than that Dad ..

high priest in the art of sarcasm , lol..

throt..

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Jeremy Clarkson is a punk. Bring it....

BTW, I don't hide behind windows, and I'm 6'1", but I've found in the distant past that rolling DOWN the window is a great way to get socked in the jaw, and a lousy way to get any kind of leverage on a reciprocal blow.

LOL , 6'1" so you leave the window up but just get out , it makes sense , also come over and give JC that kick..

throt..

Quote:
    br d said:

Just so long as you make sure that they broadcast the event live on "Top Gear", with frequent regular repeats Europe-wide on satellite TV!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Nah Boss, all playfullness aside, I do find your missives massively informative. Although it may be down to my fencepost-like ignorance rather than your obviously stella-synaptic hyper-vehicular intelligence.

There are many such individuals hereabouts though. I've learned a sh!tload of stuff from the likes of you and throt and Carlos and Mike S and too many others to even mention since I've been waiting for my car.

Here's a thought. It's unlikely that the people here could ever get together, but we ought to open a worldwide 997 photo album. Me and throt could do some shots of our cars on Tower Bridge, under the London Eye, next to Big Ben, that sort of thing. And each member could drive to their nearest landmark and do the same. The Brandenburg Gate, the Eifel Tower, that fantastic Cathedral in Barcelona Carlos. How about a 997 with the Sugar Mountain in Rio as a backdrop?

I'm sure you get the idea. Would be nice.

br d

Quote:
    br d said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Nah Boss, all playfullness aside, I do find your missives massively informative. Although it may be down to my fencepost-like ignorance rather than your obviously stella-synaptic hyper-vehicular intelligence.

There are many such individuals hereabouts though. I've learned a sh!tload of stuff from the likes of you and throt and Carlos and Mike S and too many others to even mention since I've been waiting for my car.

Here's a thought. It's unlikely that the people here could ever get together, but we ought to open a worldwide 997 photo album. Me and throt could do some shots of our cars on Tower Bridge, under the London Eye, next to Big Ben, that sort of thing. And each member could drive to their nearest landmark and do the same. The Brandenburg Gate, the Eifel Tower, that fantastic Cathedral in Barcelona Carlos. How about a 997 with the Sugar Mountain in Rio as a backdrop?

br d

Tops br d , that would make an awesome sticky would'nt it and everyone could really relate to one another , it would also create some laughs .

Great idea..

throt..

Yep, could be cool. If I pick mine up on Sept 1st I could drive to Canary Wharf, or the Monument, or the Tower. It could make a great album. Pull up outside the famous landmark of your choice and get a quick picture.

Here's some I'd like to see:
    Golden Gate Bridge
    Sydney Opera House
    The Petronas Towers
    The Kremlin (Very tricky one!)
    The Great Wall of China
    The sea of Tranquility (Just Joking!)

Seriously though, let's go for it. An album of 997 pics in world famous locations.

br d

Quote:
    br d said:

br d

Thats a great idea! would love to see such a colection of photos of the members' Porsches from around the world, its one of the things I love about Rennteam.

I don't have a recognisable landmark nearby (I have the St. James Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela near by, the third most important catholic place of peregrination in the world) but a nice characteristic landscape picture from members will do as well too

br d,

That's an AWESOME idea!

Quote:
    br d said:
    Yep, could be cool. If I pick mine up on Sept 1st I could drive to Canary Wharf, or the Monument, or the Tower. It could make a great album. Pull up outside the famous landmark of your choice and get a quick picture.

Golden Gate Bridge
    Sydney Opera House
    The Petronas Towers
    The Great Wall of China

Seriously though, let's go for it. An album of 997 pics in world famous locations.

br d

I can do the Golden Gate Bridge but lately it's been socked in with our summer fog. I've been meaning to do it, will try a Golden Gate Bridge photo tomorrow.

Quote:
    throt said:
    Mike your are responsible for causing a stir , now get out on the highway , find it and kick its butt..

Go on ..

throt..

You know I have a sneaky suspicion that Mike may be putting us on.

Quote:
    kauai_diver said:
    Quote:
    throt said:

Go on ..

throt..

You know I have a sneaky suspicion that Mike may be putting us on.

now why would i want to give a bimmer drive the satisfaction of knowing he beat a p-car?

rofl if i find him again i'll be cruising around in my 65 to remind him that there is ALWAYS someone quicker

Quote:
    br d said:

Golden Gate Bridge
    Sydney Opera House
    The Petronas Towers
    The Great Wall of China

br d

i'm game!
    i can take a pic infront of the union buildings

btw the golden gate bridge has already been covered courtesy of tooner

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    A friend of mine is a salesman for a BMW dealership. I didn't manage to get a go of their demo car but he said it was awesome. Apparently you don't get the sensation of speed that you would in a 997 due to the size, weight and soundproofing in the car but he says that the way it charges along the road is almost insane.

That's exactly right, and the reason it doesn't have that excitement factor that the 997 has.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    I had a current model E60 530d up until 4 months ago and I cannot believe you would even mention it in the same breath as an M5. The 530d is a very quick car but even the 535d is noticeably faster still. The M5 would leave both of them standing. At around 1.6 times the price of a 535d Sport I'd say it is great value. Having said that, the M5's residuals will be poor if history is anything to go by - in the UK at least. Heck the M5 even gives you a button to change the output from 400bhp to 500bhp letting the car go from a super fast luxury cruiser to a snarling, Ferrari eating monster. Makes the sport chrono in the 997 appear to be a bit dull

I was comparing the M5 to my 997S for driving pleasure. No way I'd compare the performance of the M5 to my 530d, (or my 997S.... for one thing that SMG gearbox is much quicker and always consistent, unlike my manual changes!! Then theres the horsepower issue.) In my case I could swap the 997 or 530d for the M5. There's no way I'd part with the 997 - it's just too much fun, even tho the M5 may be quicker. And given I didn't enjoy driving the M5 like I do my 997, I couldn't justify spending that much on the second car. IMO the 530d is a very comfortable, economical, very powerful given the economy, family car esp with dynamic drive, sports suspension, Logic 7, bluetooth etc. Especially when you have a 997S in the garage too.

Actually, the M button on the M5 can be customised to change the suspension settings, and SMG shift time and the power, all at the same time, using the I drive.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

The 430 would take the M5. So would my Challenge Stradale at half the weight. Besides I wouldn't even be in 6th gear when the BMW would quit.

If you say so

Here's my favourite part of the M5 vs F430 Autocar test:

Quote:
    What happened on that dual carriageway I will not forget for a very long time. It went, if I can remember correctly because to be honest it was all a bit of a blur, something like this: I pressed the M-drive button on the wheel, which at a stroke set the engine to its full 500bhp brew (normally it has 400bhp, pah), the electronic dampers to the hardest of their three settings, throttle to its snappiest response mode, the gear change to its most aggressive shift sequence and even the seats to their most hip-hugging position. Then I looked in the mirror, saw the grin on the Ferrari driver's face, and hit the throttle. Hard, in second gear.

In true clichéd style the back of my head, indeed the back of my whole torso, recoiled and wound itself deep into the front of the seat. The hairs on the backs of my hands went stiff when the full range of abilities of the M5's V10 engine and its astonishing transmission became apparent.

At 3000rpm it delivered the kind of haymaker to the kidneys that only a true blue supercar or a four-day booze binge can, and I was amazed that the rear tyres didn't simply light up. Instead, the M5 just went; no wheelspin, no dramatics from the tail whatsoever, despite there being a slight curve in the road. Within three seconds it had put 10 yards between itself and the howling, screaming, rapidly disappearing Ferrari.

And the gap, I'm not joking, merely grew as the next few seconds unfolded. At 5000rpm the timbre of the M5's V10 altered, became even harder edged, and if anything the acceleration got stronger as it closed in on its 6100rpm torque peak. Then at 6500rpm it happened again, only with more vigour and even more humiliating results as far as the Ferrari was concerned.

You can find the whole article here:
    Autocar reviews the BMW M5

And this :

Quote:
    But on each occasion the M5, like some kind of automated poker player, would simply call the F430 and then raise it by whatever was required to grip that bit harder, compose itself that much better and, ultimately, travel that much faster across the ground. You think I'm making this up? You need to drive an M5 over a beautiful moorland road with crests and dips and off-camber twists with a Ferrari F430 on your tail. And when you get to the end of that road and the Ferrari is nowhere in sight, and I mean nowhere, you'll realise.

Quote:
    Make no mistake; the F430 is still one of the greatest sports cars of our time, and indeed of all time. But quite where that puts the new M5 is difficult to imagine. From another world is the best that I can do.

Quote:
    ha said:
    Guys, one thing you have to remember. The Germans have a long history of understating their hp/performance figures. I even recall MB being forced to change their hp figures on the 55K when it came out on the SL form 476 to 495 (or something like that). So I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the V10M engine is around 530hp while the 65AMG is closer to 650hp.

Actually MB made some modifications on the SL55's engine giving it more hp after the E55 became just as fast /faster then the SL with the same motor.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761141 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434618 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260127 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257271 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80814 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871510 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806746 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM