Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Goopy mess!

After cleaning the wheels I blow them dry. Once complete with the wash, I take the car for a spin. It seems that the nooks and crannies in the steel rotors shoot out a brownish watery/rusty/break dust concoction on the inside of the nice clean wheels. Anyone else notice this? Is there a quick solution other than just letting the car sit overnight to dry?

PS - Should I post this same question on every P forum going to get an answer? Just a little pet peeve I've got

Re: Goopy mess!

SrfCity,

Haven't noticed this on mine. I have PCCB's, with the 996 turbo wheels-just posted pics BTW on another thread (one VERY LARGE one too, ahem ).

What do you use to clean your wheels? I use a tire foam cleaner (e.g., Armor All), then gently hose 'em down before I wash the car. Any trouble with the brakes' performance?

I know the mess your talking about Srf,
    I usually just wipe them down again right after my drive, if I don't let it sit overnight after I wash it. Then by the time I drive again, usually the next day, all's ok....

Al, With PCCB's you won't have a problem

JP66, Yea, I was trying to avoid the wipe down again cuz it's double work. I think the gunk settles in between the rotors. Sounds like either wipe or let dry over night. Thanks.

Try using the Porsche Wheel Cleaner. I have the Sportdesign wheels. I spray the calipers and the inner wheel surface and even with these highly spoked wheels, I never get what you've described above. It's water based too, so it won't rip off the wax that you've applied to wheels (if you do so).

Basalt,

I use the Porsche wheel cleaner and still get the problem.

I use a wheel cleaner,
    then i take my high pressure unit(150 bar.)
    blow enough in the disc, so let the water do the job,
    a few minutes later, again, again
    extra attention for the holes in the disc's

95% is clean
    wash the car, afther a hour , i ride for 100 m very slow,
    clean the wheels with a scrap(rag)
    and let the car in the garage.
    Notice, i have the original 19" wheels,
    there is place for a manual clean afhter the high pressure

I've tried lots of products and it happens no matter which one I use. So, best thing is wash the car after your done for the day (or weekend) and let the rotors dry overnight (no problems). OR, right after your carwash take it for a quick spin (one to two blocks) and immediatly wipe off the brown scum all over your rims because if it dries its a B**** to get off! Of course if you opted for CC rims the task will be a bit easier. Don't forget about the wet rotors when spinning them dry or you will be in for surprise especially if you used any wheel cleaners and didn't rinse well. After 2-3 attempts at the brakes they should be fine. I do my car when I return from a trip (if dirty) and just let the rims dry overnight. Carnauba "spritz" if the car is not too dirty vs wash but be real carefull not to scratch the paint! For rims just clean the outside and your good to go.

Brake Dust Management 401 (graduate seminar notes)

Blow the rotors with compressed air. Besure to:
    1. wear a dust mask
    2. go over car with california duster (unless you are going to wash it)
    3. make sure wind blows dust over in neighbors direction
    4. shower soon after.

The thing about the brake dust is this:

If you blow it off fairly routinely the wheels will stay cleaner longer. My theory is, once the rotors are clean, they will slowly accumulate dust inside (Why? Because the design of the rotors to effect their cooling sucks the dust inside them). Your wheels meantime stay relatively clean, THEN, all at once, the brake dust can no longer be held within the rotors and an avalanche occurs (OR all new dust goes directly to wheels). At this stage your wheels just look like cr*p; really bad and in a sustained way.

So it's very impt (to avoid going crazy) to get ALL the dust out of rotors when you wash (or otherwise maintain) the car. Compressed air (before washing, or not) on a routine basis is the only way to stop the insanity.

Get a special air wand (6 inch tubing attached to handle with valve) to get the compressed air as close to and into the rotor vents as possble.

Re: Brake Dust Management 401 (graduate seminar notes)

In Florida, it's so humid that when you allow the rotors to dry overnight, they turn orange with surface rust. So when you go to drive in the morning, you wind up with orange DUST all over the wheels. In short, I've found no easy solution. Whether I let them dry overnight, or take the car right out to spin-dry, the "double wipe" (where you dry them once, and then wipe them down again after you've driven a bit) is just something that has to be done. All of MMD's suggestions are excellent, keeping the rotors clean and blasted-out will reduce your level of annoyance considerably.

I've been complaining about this for a couple of weeks now. My 996 Turbo didn't do this. And blowing off the calipers and rotors helps but doesn't work completely. Doesn't matter what products you use either. I washed my car Saturday. This time I washed the outside of the wheels really well and gave a quick brushing to the inside to get off the majority of dirt. After hosing out the dirt in the wheels and finishing the rest of the car I took it around the block to get the rust & dirt off the rotors. Then I finished cleaning the inside of the rims. Pain in the arse really. I rather not let it sit overnight to dry. First - you'll still have some dirt falling into the rim making a second cleaning even worse and secondly I rather not have the dirty water sit in the brake disk overnight.

I was telling Mike S this weekend that for my 997 Turbo Cab. I've made a decision to get the PCCB's.

The other thing to consider is to get less dusty brake pads. There are some small trade offs but I forgot what they were.

Somebody here will know which pads are less dusty.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    The other thing to consider is to get less dusty brake pads. There are some small trade offs but I forgot what they were.

Somebody here will know which pads are less dusty.

It's not really the brake dust so much. It appears to be more rust and crap that when mixed with water sits in the cavities of the rotors. Next time I'll try blowing them out a bit better with the old leave blower and see if that's any better

Here's what I'm talking about:
    BTW, it's all around the inside of the wheel so it's not from the calipers.

Mineral spirits (basicaly kerosene) or WD-40 and a rag should wisk that of in seconds!

Oh sheet! If you decide to use it, be really careful with the WD-40 spray; spray rag not wheels to avoid surprise at first stop sign.

EDITED: maybe forget the WD40, too crazy, just use mineral spirits (buy a quart at hardware store)

Yup.
    The rotors have those "cavities" or pockets (forget what you call them) when you look at them from head on you can see them, for better cooling. If you blow them out you still cant get ALL the water to come out and you're not going to get to the ones (cavities) covered by the caliper. The only way to empty the water is to drive and spin the wheels. And even if you get the water out from them and dry the outside of the rotor theres rust and crud that forms on the inside part of the rotor. It's like a catch 22.
    Free lunch to whomever can think of a way to solve this problem.(besides PCCB's)

It's not that. It's easy enough to get off if you do it immediately. A wet rag cleans it fine. The problem is - There's no way of avoiding cleaning the inside of the wheels twice. The first time you need enough soap and water out of the hose to clean up the bulk of normal dirt but then the after-dirt spills from the rotors into the inside of the rim after you drive the car.
    And you can't clean a really dirty rim properly using just wet towels because you would really do damage to the finish.
    Especially for dirty rims you need a good soaping and water wash.

Same problem. I drive about a mile, come back and wipe it off with a wet rag.I tried both Porsche and Griots wheel cleaners. Didn't work. If it's hot or humid and you let the car sit overnight, the problem solves itself.

I used to suffer from this too, but found a simple solution that seems to work every time. I clean my wheels as normal and then when its time to rinse i use a normal hose (non powered) and just spend a few minutes spraying water into the holes on the surface of the disks. The amount of crap that comes out is quite surprising. I have not had the problem again since using this method and frequently drive within 30 minutes of washing the car.

Buying these 2 inexpensive products will help a lot: (1) http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp Type#item 15220 in product source box (set of 3) for $9.99. (2) http://www.autopia-carcare.com/tires---wheels.html item# MEG-X-1160 $5.95 each. You'll thank me later! (not sure if websites are spelled right, if no luck do a google on griotsgarage and autopia.

do not clean the disc's when they are very hot.,
    to fast cooling with water make damage

Quote:
    DirtyHarry said:
    I used to suffer from this too, but found a simple solution that seems to work every time. I clean my wheels as normal and then when its time to rinse i use a normal hose (non powered) and just spend a few minutes spraying water into the holes on the surface of the disks. The amount of crap that comes out is quite surprising. I have not had the problem again since using this method and frequently drive within 30 minutes of washing the car.

That's an interesting idea. So water flows through the cross drilled holes out through the cooling ducts in the disk. Hmmmm. I'm going to try that. Thanks.

Oh, considering wet rotors and calipers, everybody here knows this right? Do not park a car and forget about it if the rotors and calipers and pads are wet. When you come back to the car the rust will be bad news.

Quote:
    DirtyHarry said:
    I used to suffer from this too, but found a simple solution that seems to work every time. I clean my wheels as normal and then when its time to rinse i use a normal hose (non powered) and just spend a few minutes spraying water into the holes on the surface of the disks.

Fashion a specialized nozzle to get into the grooves Copper tubing carefully epoxied to the end of a possibly cut and drilled garden hose nozzle is a way to start thinking how to actually do it.

So are we not allowed to drive in the rain then?
    Or even worse, salty gritted winter slush?
    What if your car is outside and it rains?
    Surely the brakes must be able to withstand getting a little wet!

Seriously, what's the difference between the disks being wet after washing, and being wet after driving in the wet?

Rub some vaseline on the inners ..

throt..

The rust isn't bad news in any way beyond just the mess that it makes on your wheels.

Quote:
    throt said:
    Rub some vaseline on the inners ..

throt..

All vaseline will do is act as a dirt and dust magnet. Everything will stick to it, like, well, vaseline.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    It's not that. It's easy enough to get off if you do it immediately. A wet rag cleans it fine. The problem is - There's no way of avoiding cleaning the inside of the wheels twice. The first time you need enough soap and water out of the hose to clean up the bulk of normal dirt but then the after-dirt spills from the rotors into the inside of the rim after you drive the car.
    And you can't clean a really dirty rim properly using just wet towels because you would really do damage to the finish.
    Especially for dirty rims you need a good soaping and water wash.

Actually, I more or less stopped cleaning the wheels with water inside. I just use a soft dry cloth and wipe them clean. Does not hurt the surface and you don't get any rust or break dust dripping all over.

Of course, once and a while I use cleaning solution and high pressure water, but you always have to do it twice then

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    So are we not allowed to drive in the rain then?
    Or even worse, salty gritted winter slush?
    What if your car is outside and it rains?
    Surely the brakes must be able to withstand getting a little wet!

Seriously, what's the difference between the disks being wet after washing, and being wet after driving in the wet?

When you are driving in the rain the brakes get used they heat up and dry the water fast.

I'd bet that getting water on the brakes in the rain, or driving in the rain, is different from blasting a stone-cold brake system with a garden hose (e.g. when the car has just been used there's probably no water trapped in the rotors because they had recently spinning).

Basically, when you come home and get the car into the garage, there's probably enough heat stored in the big steel rotors, exhaust in the back and radiators in the front to dry the calipers and etc.

Parking a car outside where it rains alot and the water is salty would probably be bad for corrosion of brakes and other parts of car.

Long term parked outside in a wet or marine environment is bad. There's sophisticated electronics to think about too.

Just guesses on my part... .

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

That's an interesting idea. So water flows through the cross drilled holes out through the cooling ducts in the disk. Hmmmm. I'm going to try that. Thanks.

Let me know how you get on

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM