Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

About to order - option list verification

Was at my dealer this morning and am ready to order a 997S.
    Boxster and Cayenne will have to go for the 997S and a VW Golf or something for the daily commute (180km/day). The dealer made a very good offer for the two cars.

What you guys think about these options:

- 997S Coupe
    - Sealgrey
    - Carrera Sport wheel (XRR)
    - Black interior
    - Full leather
    - Adaptive sport seats
    - Cruise control (aka Tempostat)
    - Sport Chrono Plus
    - Navigation module
    - Phone module
    - Bose
    - Carpets
    - PSE
    - Tire pressure control

Expected delivery in Oct/Nov 2005

Have I forgotten anything?
    TIA.

Re: About to order - option list verification

Looks a sweet spec, and the (in)famous PSE!!

Oh, and can recommend the Golf as a commuting tool - the 2.0TDi GT model in my case , I've got a similar length commute and it continues to impress....

Great specs....very close to mine.
    Have you thaught about the sport chassis (-20mm) option?
    Will you be driving your car in winter?

*Heated seats
    *Dimming mirrors
    are very functional options not on your list

Quote:
    Trundle997S said:
    *Heated seats
    *Dimming mirrors

BTW... Are you looking for a "normal" car as your daily or something that also has some performance, eg: GTI etc
    Your gonna enjoy that PSE.

Sounds very nice.
    I would definately get the thicker sports steering wheel in smooth leather.
    Expensive at approx. $800 but you wont appreciate any other option as frequently.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

I won't be driving it in winter. That's what the other car will be for. Heated seats are therefore not needed.

I had dimming mirrors on one of my former cars. It kept confusing my eyes.

The sport chassis would be nice. But after a lengthly discussion with my dealer, I came to the conclussion that the PASM with its two settings represents the best of both worlds for me (sport for spirited driving, normal for commuting).

For the daily beater, Golf V6 4-motion or similar are on the radar screen. I used to have one. They are quite comfortable, have reasonable power (200HP) and a high built quality.

The thicker steering wheel sounds interesting. I will look into that.

I love the thicker steering wheel. Besides the added thickness which imo gives it a very high-end performance feel it has the smooth leather (which costs $400 for the "smooth leather" steering wheel) and I can't confirm that the standard steering wheel does or doesn't have a leather covered air bag but the thicker wheel does. I believe the cross stitch is also different. It's a personal preference thing though. Good luck ~

I am sorry but what steering wheel option are you talking about? What is the option code, and any pictures available?? thanks

Quote:
    JL13 said:
    I am sorry but what steering wheel option are you talking about? What is the option code, and any pictures available?? thanks

The S comes with a
    "Three-spoke steering wheel covered in leather"

Then there's 3 optional wheels
    1)"Three-spoke multi-function steering wheel covered in smooth leather" (This wheel has the triangular air-bag)

2)"Three-spoke steering wheel covered in smooth leather"

3)Three-spoke sports steering wheel covered in padded smooth leather" - This is the thicker wheel. Option code is "XPA".

It says "padded" but the wheel doesn't really feel softer to the touch then the stock wheel, just thicker. Don't like the multi-function wheel because of the airbag shape and buttons on the wheel.

Whoops~~ sorry, about the pictures I don't have any of my wheel but from the ones I've seen it's kinda hard to tell the difference in thickness from pictures.

Can anyone confirm if the standard wheel has a leather covered air-bag or not.

Quote:
    JL13 said:

See my post " new 997 pic's and observations", there is a picture of the sport wheel there. I definitely like it. I also like the feel of the sport shifter, it is a little tight but I like the direct, short throw. but have not driven a standard shifter. Gald to see you are going w/ TMP. This is a must have option becasue the side walls are so thin you can't visually see a deflated tire.
    It is a nicely option list. It will be fun

i would consider dials in black which would look great with black interior its a no cost option

Quote:
    JL13 said:

Here's a picture of the thicker sports steering wheel in smooth leather (option XPA). I can highly recommend it.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:Can anyone confirm if the standard wheel has a leather covered air-bag or not.

The standard sports steering wheel does not have a leather covered centre boss where the airbag is. (At least not on the 987, and I assume they use the same wheels).

The smooth leather sports, and the padded smooth leather sports ones do.

Not sure about the horrible triangular thing.

What's really nice about the S wheel is that the part of it you grip with your hand has a smaller diameter than the non-S. Makes you wonder what Porsche engineers/designers (maybe just stylists?!) are trying to impart with a smaller wheel. I like it because the steering in the car is so highly regarded for it's great amount of feedback I think a thinner wheel transmits more of that to the driver? Whatever the effect, I like the reference back to the early 911 (and other sports cars of the era) when the wheels were more gracile.

I guess the thicker wheels were the result of air bags making everything more bloated and Possibly some influence like NASCAR where you have to muscle the car around curves? maybe it's simply a case of the wheel being more comfortable over long drives?

Whatever: just get what you like: it's your car. I mean really, how many guys are seriously concerned with the opinions of everybody on the board when they're driving their cars?

Quote:
    Trundle997S said:
    *Heated seats
    *Dimming mirrors

Yeah, definitely. The women love the heated seats. Plus you can furtively turn them on when she's drowsy and get her to fall asleep faster and thus stop talking about Buffy and Muffy's Marriage and the Diamond Gifts.

Quick related question, if you get full leather on an S do you get the smooth leather wheel?

I think it's exactly the other way around. I get more feedback from a thicker wheel then a thinner one. There's more surface so more of my hand is actually touching the wheel as opposed to a thinner wheel that touches less of you hand. I think the thicker wheel is more the result of other manufactures like Ferrari, Lambo, BMW all having thicker wheels then Porsche (they may even know what they're doing)Guess that's why Porsche gives you the option to pay for a more performance driven steering wheel in the thicker one. You don't see modern race cars with very thin steering wheels. Must be a reason.

I think the only reason why they didn't have thicker wheels back in the early days is there was probably no way to do it cheap and light enough with the materials they were working with.

Thanks.
    -

Quote:
    rno said:
    Quick related question, if you get full leather on an S do you get the smooth leather wheel?

Nope.

btw: There's 2 "smooth leather" wheels. "XPA" which is the thicker one @ $800 and the optional "smooth leather" wheel which is the same thickness as the standard wheel but has the "smooth leather" for $400

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I think it's exactly the other way around. I get more feedback from a thicker wheel then a thinner one. There's more surface so more of my hand is actually touching the wheel as opposed to a thinner wheel that touches less of you hand. I think the thicker wheel is more the result of other manufactures like Ferrari, Lambo, BMW all having thicker wheels then Porsche (they may even know what they're doing)Guess that's why Porsche gives you the option to pay for a more performance driven steering wheel in the thicker one. You don't see modern race cars with very thin steering wheels. Must be a reason.

I think the only reason why they didn't have thicker wheels back in the early days is there was probably no way to do it cheap and light enough with the materials they were working with.

Geez! You done it again Stradale! Good work. Just when I thought it all made sense one way it makes perfect sense the other way. I love it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690072 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409508 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255868 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235102 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65602 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858254 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774412 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM