Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997s 1700 miles ..... have to sell

Hi
    My 997s experience has to end. I have also moved house and the unexpected expense is higher than expected. Car is in mint condition (UK, Southampton). Spec is:
    - midnight blue
    - Stone Grey Leather
    - Sports exhaust
    - Sat Nav
    - Bose
    - Rear Wiper
    - Reverse warning

I paid @ Pounds71K. What is best option to sell. I am unlikely to trade in - porsche dealer, ebay ? - appreciate suggestions.

Re: 997s 1700 miles ..... have to sell

Also... based on spec any views on a price to sell the car ? (June 05 plate)

I sold car on ebay before and people only bid on cars that has a reserve~! They stop bidding when the price is about the meet the reserve price. Unless you are selling it a lot less then the msrp, i think you should go with the dealer, less complications!~ just a thought~

Quote:
    dambox said:
    the unexpected expense is higher than expected.

Anyway, I would think twice before selling. In a couple of months years your situation might look better and you want to buy again? But if it's really that bad (that you have to sell your car after a couple of months)I do not understand how you can stretch your finances that much just to drive a 997

Either advertise in The Sunday Times, or bite the bullet and talk to an OPC

Forget Ebay they want it for squat , opportunist site ..
    Try all the mags first then resort to the P dealerships..If you want mega quick sale just go to straight to your dealer but your going to take a hit on your options , VAT etc etc ..

Its a loosing battle..

Good Luck..

throt..

DamBox,
    I don't know if Top Marques is still going in the UK (I live in LA now) I sold a couple of high end cars thru that magazine...Sunday Times as mentioned is good. Also try classifieds of any UK specific Porsche sites, finally there must be a Porsche owners club (great place to advertise).

FYI, be careful how you pitch your story for needing to get rid of the car.....I'm afraid that if people think you NEED to sell the car they'll try and beat you up on the price. Don't panic....You've got a highly desirable car that is in short supply, good spec and great color, should be a breeze to sell
    PS don't be too sad about selling the car.....when you're ready to buy another one....It'll be even better than your current 997

Dambox,

Did you by it from Ferndown? If so get a quote from them now - they've always been good for buying back cars - they don't give you free money but don't seem to try it on with stupidly low ones - especially if you make it seem like you'll be back knocking on their door in the not too distant future for your next car. But get a quote today as as soon as the 55 plates come in you'll lose a heap more

Quote:
    Zürich said:
    Quote:
    dambox said:
    the unexpected expense is higher than expected.

Anyway, I would think twice before selling. In a couple of months years your situation might look better and you want to buy again? But if it's really that bad (that you have to sell your car after a couple of months)I do not understand how you can stretch your finances that much just to drive a 997

I agree. Depending on how you purchased or financed the car. If you have a loan and you sell you will have to come up with the total difference of what you owe the bank vs. what you sell the car for immediately to settle the note. If you didn't finance the car and paid in full it's a different story.

I would ask the dealer about a sale or return?
    Top Marques and Sunday Times are good to but very few private sales are conducted on such expensive cars so get ready for a lot of trade enquiries.
    Ask your dealer what they will offer? Now of course they will do the normal [censored] taking that the OPC's do but see if they fancy entertaining some repeat business at any point ever in the future

Sorry to hear that you've got to sell your car after such a short time, unfortunately circumstances do change and none of us are fitted with 20/20 hindsight. I agree totally with what Rich C has said, for a while I thought I'd have to sell my Boxster, and I have to say that Porsche Centre Bournemouth offered me very sensible money. I guess that's where you bought your car from. Talk to Nick Ray, the used car buyer, he is OK, they are definitely NOT sharks. You would also avoid all the tyre kickers that you would suffer if you tried to sell it privately. Mind, you've got my "dreamcar" particularly with sports exhaust, so if I win the lottery or raid a bank I'll give you a call.

You could also try an independent. Camtune are one such outfit who will sell it for a flat fee (Pounds3,000 I think I was quoted once). They've got outlets in Godalming and Docklands, and a website: http://www.camtune.com

A colleague of mine bought a car above list price with a similar spec to yours. It was a private sale as well. This was a few months ago, but if the waiting lists are still reasonably long (which I think they perhaps are?) I think you should not lose out too much.

In terms of how to sell it, I would start by phoning a few OPCs and if you don't like what you hear, advertise in a Sunday rag.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies. Fortunately the car is fully paid off and I am not in a hurry to sell unless I get a good price. Hopefully I won't !

Sorry bout you having to sell your 997...
    Hope you get what you want witht the whole selling process in any case...

Hope you get a good deal, I was VERY surprised when I came to sell, as the local OPC offered me stupidly low money even though I had an order in for a 997 C4s - best price after a phone around was 7k below from another OPC. Reduced that to 5k in STimes. Had 5k miles,7 months old. Recon you should aim to get about 3k below list if you want to sell it quick. Pounds71k Silver/ blue fully loaded Friend had 996 C4 had it 12 months and only did 3k miles, OPC offered Pounds14k less !!!!!
    Sold mine same day in Sunday times, no wonder at that price.

Two years ago, I wanted to trade in a '97 Boxster on a new Boxster S. The lowest offer from an OPC(!!) was half of the highest offer. I got so mad , first I thought it was a mistake... I mean if you don't want a trade in, just say so!

The OPCs have you over a barrel really don't they. I mean, the comparative hassle factor of selling it privately vs just taking it to a dealer is huge and sometimes worth the price difference IMO.

Quote:
    dambox said:
    Thanks for all the replies. Fortunately the car is fully paid off and I am not in a hurry to sell unless I get a good price. Hopefully I won't !

Does this mean you might be available for the Rennteam New Forest Meet on Sunday 25th September? We had a 996 with PSE on the last run courtesy of Monkey - the more the merrier and we've not had a 997 tag along to any of the Meets yet!

I don't want to dishearten you but there isn't a waiting list any more in the UK if the info I received yesterday is any indication. I called an OPC and was told they can get me an October build to my spec for either a Boxster/Boxster S or 997 C2/C2S. That would mean a November delivery. I'm contemplating switching out of my 997 C2 Tip and they offered me Pounds5.5k less than I paid for it on March 1st. I was even offered a Cayman S for delivery on March 1st. I thought the wait for one of those would be longer. Can't decide whether to switch out or not but thought the info on build dates would be of interest to some.

Does this mean we can push for deals..

throt..

I doubt you will get a deal on the new car price as I was told that Porsche GB closely monitor dealers to ensure discounts are not given. You may be able to push for a better trade in price though or get some dealer fit got accessories thrown in. I got a bit of "discount" on my Cayenne in this way.

What happens if you trade in a car for a cheaper car? I've never done this and just wondered what would happen if say in a year or so I wanted to change my 997 for a Cayman say? Would they do it? (Very unlikely this would happen, but I'm curious).

Ed,

That's what I'm considering doing just now. The dealer is quite happy to buy back my 997 and for me to buy either a Boxster or Cayman. They would be happy to just buy my 997 even if I didn't purchase another car as they will make a profit selling my car on for not far short of list price I suspect. The difference in value between my 997 C2 and the Boxster/Cayman will go straight back into my bank. I'm seriously tempted to just buy another C2 though with different options this time. I've considered the S but my salesman reckons that the C2 may well prove to be the better residual bet as the S has been so popular. With fewer C2's around used they are comanding a little more money just now. I'm not really bothered about the extra peformance of the S as I don't track the car either. I'm thinking about going for the aerokit this time round but would like to see a physical car fitted with one first.

If they bring out a Cayman RS my 997 is getting chopped straight away ! I might even swap it for a Cayman S come November if it drives really well.

ISUK - thanks for the comments. Funny you say that about the C2 having better residuals than the C2S right now. I read the opposite in Evo magazine this month. They sold their long term test for a very good price to what looks like an OPC (in exchange for a Boxster S I think) and made the point that residuals are holding up better for the S. One reason here could be that you don't get much of your money back on options and to fully load a C2 costs a lot more than it does to fully load a C2S (because of the higher standard spec).

Ed,

Conflicting info then, very confusing. I'm trying to work out a deal with this particular OPC where I can trade my car in every 6 months with very low miles on the clock. My "hit" on my current C2 equates to an 8% drop in value over 6 months which I don't think is bad at all. My rational for changing is that if I suffer the same level of depreciation over the next 6 months on my C2 and would only suffer the same 8% drop on a new car, I might as well get a new one as the cost to change will only increase over time. I can switch into a new C2 in November for around a Pounds3.5k difference if I leave off the tiptronic this time around. If I leave it 'til next March it could well be double that figure or higher.

The salesman suspected that a Boxster S would lose more than a C2 as there are a lot of them being sold which means there will possibly be used oversupply. He reckons that the C2, if not overspec'ed, will hold more retained value than the S. It needs such things as metallic, nav, bose, xenons, phone and possibly 19" wheels. This should keep it on par with the basic S price wise. The rational for it holding more value is that the S also needs these extras to be an attractive used buy and as there are more S models being sold new there will be more choice of used S's which will put them under greater price pressure. Some buyers on a budget may well prefer to go for a good spec, barely used C2 rather than buy a new base spec C2S.

I'm just trying to have the most fun out of a weekend toy for the least depreciation and without spending more than Pounds70k initial outlay so I'm going to try and follow their advice if I do change.

Options always take a big hit . Its best to be sensible if at all possible because you can easily spend Pounds20,000 on specs and of that 20 you would only get back around 7000 ..

throt..

Mrs just stated " Thats great coming from me " ..

throt..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690041 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409490 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255858 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235093 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65599 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858232 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774373 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM