Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: august is near...time to buy a car.

Thanks.. Family help has paid off.. but it was only going to pay off for a little bit- I took the initiative early to use what others would have spent on clothing and purchasing pointless crap on investing it- the investing worked out well.. a small amount turned into a larger and larger and larger amount.. and now.. I am well beyond self sustaining0 which is good. And of course- I have more in savings.. there is no reason to blow an entire savings on a car or two.. however,with various investments that have come to fruition- there is a point to which one either has to purchase something for themself or purchase a house... hahaha.. again, no one I know has their own home (that is 22)... so, I'm not going to invest in one at this point- it's just too expensive and I wouldn't get what I want here in Philadelphia.

Investments
    Anyway- the Asian version of EBAY- Alibaba.com ....heavy hitters are looking at it HARD... I smell next investment opportunity. I see this company either being bought out by ebay, yahoo, or amazon or it will blow up once it hits the exchange.

So far as not earning money- do you do internships or clerking during the summer? clerking here in philly for the summer nets about 65k ...not to mention part time work doing legal consultation for 3 months- that makes about 20k. If anything during the school year you can do some part time work ... and because you're in law school you get crazy money for doing NOTHING. Being a law student or an MBA candidate pays off all over the place.

Quote:
    killer said:
    So far as not earning money- do you do internships or clerking during the summer? clerking here in philly for the summer nets about 65k ...not to mention part time work doing legal consultation for 3 months- that makes about 20k. If anything during the school year you can do some part time work ... and because you're in law school you get crazy money for doing NOTHING. Being a law student or an MBA candidate pays off all over the place.

That sounds great but I'm afraid that doesn't work in Belgium.
    I'm not allowed to work as a legal consultant, when I don't have any kind of 'law-graduation'
    I do work in the summertime at a law-firm but those are merely administrative tasks that deliver 2000 Euro at the end of the month. Nothing special there..
    From what I hear it really pays of, studying in America
    "clerking in the summer in philly gets you 65k" Is that 65.000$??? That can't be possible!!!

65k.. means $65,000 per clerking session and other perks (parking space... and some legal trips and an end of the term part on a yacht). Yeah- that's the way it is. First year employees at the current law firm that I am clerking at recieve a 175k base salary (first year people do nothing but bitch work, but still.. that's a decent amount). Afterwards, hours kick in and a person can earn 400k just on OVERTIME 2nd year.

- but yeah, anyone can do administrative tasks... first year law students (including the first year, not just completion of the first year) get a lot of respect. And yeahh, you should be able to work as a legal consultant.. you are offering SOME legal advice from your education... you are not an attorney yet, but you can consult on what courswork you have completed (as others...many others have not had that education). The private and public pay for all of that education. Moreover- have you looked at VP's of major companies- 3 years of working with a top firm will allow a person (say a 26 yr old) to work AS a senior vp at paramount...and you do NOOOOTTTTHIIIINNNGGG! Also- you may want to look on ANY organizations and boards you can join in your local community- joining organiations is always a great thing and usually most premium employers will pay for you to go to dinners and trips and stuff ($700 a plate dinners with senators and crap... it's great).

And what do you mean by administrative tasks, exactly? Do you mean that you are a secretary/ administrative assistant or you to editing of documents? Moreover, working for the state and/or federal gov't vs a private law firm makes a large difference. 2k a month is what 501 c (3) companies in philly pay their part time 1st year law students. 2k isn't enough money to live on in Philadelphia.

Nick, we need your help here ...

I am amazed at the contrast in America, lawyers and the like earn huge money in America and the minimum wage is $ 5. 14 per hour which has not increased in 8 years. I was was surprised to learn that in America if you don't have the money to pay for college you don't go. In Australia we have a system called hex which is run by the government to pay for all fees, you only pay the money back after you are employed full time earning a certain wage. There are many overseas students who study but they pay full price.
    It's funny because if you go to a strip club here they still say that they are stripping to pay for university which is an absolute joke because you don't need money for that here.
    I visited America this year with my mother and sister, stayed in Las Vegas for a week and San Francisco for 4 days. Enjoyed it a lot, people are very nice,friendly and conservative. The only thing we had had to get used to was so many had their hand out for money. In San Francisco I felt sorry for the beggers, you walk out the hotel at night in the centre of the city and within 20 seconds you are approached. We enjoyed our stay there though very different to europe.

Its certainly better to be a lawyer in US than in Australia.

i have friends who did Comm/law and graduated the same yr as me, they are not earning anywhere near 100k USD. and they work long hours and sometimes no overpay....

But i guess u have a head start with wise investment and support from family.

Here, we hv hundreds of millionaires with no Uni degrees and doing very well and hundreds of professors and academics earning jack sh** but still enjoy what they do....

but well done mate! enjoy your new purchase!

Not all attorneys can earn a lot of money- it really depends on the fields that you go into and the education you get while clerking and the like that will afford a firm or a company to allow you to get a high paying position- no one wants a lazy lame duck on their hands.

So far as Min. Wage... yeah, that's an interesting point of interest that is largely disputed here in the States. Everyone knows that the rise in inflation and the rise of the min. wage is supposed to be synonymous with one another- however, for the last sayyy 5 years (GWB) it hasn't. So.. as a result, not many employers (however, there are a lot) do not pay their employees EXACT min. wage. Most are usually making 6-7 bucks an hour.

Coming from a place where there could be no beggers (Delaware)... and then making a transition to Philadelphia (where beggers will damn near DEMAND money if they hold the door open for you....even if you didn't WANT the door to be held)...was terribly bad. Clearly, no one wanted to give out their money as young college students.. but fools do...which is sad b/c their are ENOUGH shelters in Philadelphia for vagrants to seek shelter. One of the saddest things I saw was in the winter.... a homeless man in Ritten house square (ritzy area of the city.... bentley's, ferrari's, rolls royces, lambo's...very rich people)... Anyway... by one of the shops (I think it was Aldo)... there is a heat vent from the underground tunnels... in the middle of the snow- the exposed heat vent that melted the snow was a homeless man sleeping overtop of it for warmth). That's a very difficult prospect to imagine.. however, the best we as successful individuals in society can do to help them is to try and provide more in the way of money and aid (to the proper places- shelters, food drives... that type of thing) in order to aid them.

Again, also- you may want to look into local organizations that you can join and see if you can join the board of them- the more boards you join the more prestigious you are in your employers eyes... side note- (and the more free crap you get).

Quote:
    vinnie said:
    I am amazed at the contrast in America, lawyers and the like earn huge money in America and the minimum wage is $ 5. 14 per hour which has not increased in 8 years.

Minimum wage should really be abolished.

Quote:
    I was was surprised to learn that in America if you don't have the money to pay for college you don't go. In Australia we have a system called hex which is run by the government to pay for all fees, you only pay the money back after you are employed full time earning a certain wage. There are many overseas students who study but they pay full price.

You can always get grants, scholarships, loans. You can go to a 2 year college for the first two years to lessen the financial liablility. There are ways to go to college if you want to.

Quote:
    It's funny because if you go to a strip club here they still say that they are stripping to pay for university which is an absolute joke because you don't need money for that here.
    I visited America this year with my mother and sister, stayed in Las Vegas for a week and San Francisco for 4 days. Enjoyed it a lot, people are very nice,friendly and conservative. The only thing we had had to get used to was so many had their hand out for money. In San Francisco I felt sorry for the beggers, you walk out the hotel at night in the centre of the city and within 20 seconds you are approached. We enjoyed our stay there though very different to europe.

The problem with San Francisco and homeless people is the fact that San Francisco is/was so generous with giving cash to the homeless. There's a saying... if your city doesn't have a homeless problem, trying offering cash to the homeless. You're city will be flooded with homeless people.

There should be a forum here for investment and general chat, all the investment forums I have seen on the net are full of pyramid schemes and so forth. Only a suggestion.

I agree that if you give some people money they will just do nothing. Here there are so many people who are on the dole ( living off the government ). Non working people here in Australia that just do nothing and get paid for it, $200 per week minimum which increases if they have children plus government housing. Parents of every child born aslo receive $3000 per child, given all at once. I think the worst thing you can do to a person who is low on money is to give them a lump sum of money because they usually don't know how to handle it. There are always going to be people who take advantage of the system. They are usually the ones that complain the most.

SoCal Alan, does your dog have Jack Russel in him? I had a Jack Russel 3 years ago who was similar to him.

Killer did you also get to test drive a 430 coupe?

totally agree with u Vinnie!!

just paid off a huge tax bill from last yr, a lot of it will go towards 20-40 y.o dudes who sit on their fat a*** all day doing absolutely nothing for themselves or society....

and our welfare benefits r so good that its almost stupid not to take advantage of it. I say tighten the policies and get people back into the workforce!

Or better still, the harder u work, the more money u make, and the LESS tax u pay!

this yr I got some *temporary* relieve from the tax man from agribusiness investment I made. nt huge returns, but has good tax benefits....

and yes,

lets hv a no BS thread on investment.....
    being a total beginner in the share market, its not such a bad idea!

Quote:
    vinnie said:
    SoCal Alan, does your dog have Jack Russel in him? I had a Jack Russel 3 years ago who was similar to him.

She's 100% Jack Russell. And she likes to bark.

wow this thread is mind blowing lol...I'm only 17 and am kinda undecided in which field of work I wanna get into but damn becoming a lawyer doesn't sound too bad right now (M3 at age 22 = awesome)

hey guys, sorry that I haven't checked the board in a bit- I've had some out of town visitors to entertain for the past week.. and they will be here until next weds. Anyway, the car has been located CT-prepped and put on carrier yesterday... so it should be here either later today or tomorrow. They will review the car and then bada bing... I will be an owner by early to mid next week. Was anyone in old city Philadelphia yesterday!?... there were two lambo's on the strret- a black gallardo--trailed by a white pre face lift Diablo... it was pretty cool- they were playing follow the leader. I will try to post some pics of it (as my passenger had her digital cam with her and was taking pics of crap anyway and took a bunch of pics of those.

while waiting for my car to come in, I went to FC KERBECK earlier today and got a car to test drive for the weekend... Can anyone guess what it is? I even parked it out front for a short while. (can anyone guess what it is?).

"the worlds greatest luxury car and truck store"

yeah, I know.. a very very hookie slogan- yet they do have astons and the like on their lot (luxury dealership). I am driving an 06' blue Bentley T... I LOVE IT. However, I am partial to the ferrari.. I snapped a few pics of the car outside of my apt building before I put it in the garage... I'll show you guys a shot of the rims the car from my front steps. Also- I'll include the 2 lambo's I saw on Weds with my friend. The Bentley drives like a big luxury car, but really, it's GREAT... just too old for me. If a person owns this type of car, they should have a few other cars to drive on the side.... and I only want a bitch car and a fun car... But the Bentley is great to drive to places while wearing shorts and sandals...

I got an idea, buy a Civic and don't make me jealous!

hahaha. Sorry about the lack of pics, I have been crazy busy (even for myself.. and I try not to work too hard)- pics will be coming early next week (I just haven't gotten around to transferring them from my laptop to my desktops). The lambo is in front of a STARR bar (anyone that lives in philly know's star restuarants and bars).. and the weekend Bentley is in the valet part of my apartment building (hahaha.. lucky I didn't get a ticket)... Pics next week- even the ones I screwed up. I am jazzed about the Bentley b/c the more I drive it, the more I liek it- but it's not the ferrari ... you kinda know what car is for you.. and a 360 is for me (I have never driven a 430... even though I now have the mobility to get into one... I would rather stick to my original thinking)- Anyway, have a great weekend guys.. I will be entertaining my out of state guests (as I have been for about a week..urgh) until weds (which is about the day I take delivery of my new acquisition).

Mike S-

I know you didn't pay roughly 400k for the SL65 (even in U.S. dollars) simply because of your region!?

this thread becomes

Quote:
    Patriek said:
    this thread becomes

Just checked in and I agree.

BTW it does not matter what job you decide to do so long as you are not restricted as to how much you can make i.e. teacher, fireman et cetera. Do it well, be single minded in your goal and be willing to prepare to succeed.

pics man. show some pics

I'll post those pics I promised you guys as soon as I return to my apartment building (where the camera is)... I left on Thursday to goto the beach house in Md. The good thing about the pics is that I used my new camera so they are 7 megapixels.

Quote:
    killer said:
    I'll post those pics I promised you guys as soon as I return to my apartment building (where the camera is)... I left on Thursday to goto the beach house in Md. The good thing about the pics is that I used my new camera so they are 7 megapixels.

Man, ALL that bullsh*t ...

hahaha... don't worry, guy...I will hook the board up with pics... I'm just trying to look out for myself. I have guests that are with me from out of town and a I am getting over an ex... it takes a bit of time (as EVERY GUY KNOWS)--- I will post pics to hook the board up.

pics man, show some pics!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM