Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Got My S. Too Bad I'm 40-something

06 Carrera S is now in my posession. No photos yet (only one "photo shoot" and it sucks), will get to it ASAP.

Here's what I think.

It's a race car for the street. A driving machine. MUCH more involving than my M3. Very distinct differences from my Boxster S. The driver input is huge and the precision is fantastic. I was doing 75 on an "abandoned" windy road with posted was 35: amazingly exact steering and handling; I had total confidence in the car. AND, I was being conservatve since the brakes sucked (brand new) and the tires presumably had no grip (new).

I disobey breakin and find that quite easy. I limit myself to 5000 routinely (not 4000 like in manual) and maybe hit 6500 OCCASIONALLY if needed to complete a pass safely. Even at these engine speeds the car qualifies as a monster. I don't know why you guys are complaining about breakin (an age thing?).

Was afraid the non-leather dash would look cheap. It looks VERY VERY nice. Didn't get sport chrono and am GLAD about it. Nice clean dash without excess visual confusion of stitching and wart; DOES remind me of the old 911.

The GD center console restricts my right knee from sideways movement. I had CC removed in my BoxsterS and that made a huge difference in comfort. Disappointed that the "GT" of this car is not THAT comfortable in this regard.

Sport seats are great but somewhat difficult to get into and out of (requires alot of effort you wouldn't normally expect). You guys who have them watch out for premature leather wear as you have enormous friction and shear forces on the delicate leathere everytime you get in and out of the seats. BE AWARE, change your procedure, if you're not careful, the leather will look like worn-out cr*p really soon.

There's gotta be an age-related thing to the appreciation of this car. Being 40-something I think this car is a frickin bear for the public roads. I'm not even past breakin rules and the car is vastly more than enough for public roads. regarding my not getting Sport Chrono, I have sport button in my M3 so I can confidently say the Sport chrono has got to be, for us over-forty guys, most likely a "kid's toy" for this car (unless you're tracking the car, of course).

At this point I think PASM is completely unnecessary for public road use (maybe I'm missing something I'll figure out later). It will be one of those buttons which collects dust.

Get the NAV option even though you "don't need it." It's kinda fun to see where you're going even though you know where you are going. I suppose it will come into play now and then. I believe you'll have more than a few buttons (more like five or six) which won't work if you don't get NAV module (us$2000). Big screen SHOULD work as a nav system, or else it's ridiculous to have that much CC space dedicated to the stereo.

That's all I can think of (gotta go also). Please don't get p*ssed by any of this. I'm just explaining what I think of the car at THIS moment; all subject to change. Will keep voicing my opinions with the sincere hope they help others figure things out, one way or another.

Re: Got My S. Too Bad I'm 40-something

very nice.... so you didnt get the -20mm suspension?

Congrats MMD! I've been watching your process as a waiter for a while now. As a November waiter myself, I can say that your questions and comments have helped me sort through many of my own questions.

Thanks for the candid review. I look forward to pics and another review or two as you get to know your new machine better. Congrats again!

Congrats! ...

... though it sounds like you're ready for a Benz or maybe a Lexus.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Congrats! ...

... though it sounds like you're ready for a Benz or maybe a Lexus.

LOL! Yeah, I thought of that, ha! Nah, not yet at least, but I tell ya, as many already know, this 997/S is an intense car to drive. I can imagine it becoming too much (for routine use) when we're "X" years (you fill in the "X") and older.

Congrats, MMD! finally its here!

Though I hope that by "40 something" my mentality will not have changed so much since I was thinking that after my kids (not yet born) had gone to college I would get a GT3 since I wouldn't need rear seats anymore!!

Now behave and keep to the brake in procedures

Get a Mercedes when you're 75, like everyone else, or get one for your wife/mistress

Congrats ! Best advise on minimizing seat bolster wear getting in/out of car : Straighten your left arm and brace it on the door sill , then use that to leverage your rear end OVER the seat bolster . Do that getting in or out and I guarantee the seat will look almost new at trade in time . I've done that for years on Porsches and it works .

Congrats!!! You're right, you've got to perfect your ingress/egress. I just "fall" in, without even touching the side bolster, and then carefully spin around.

A "Monster"?? Depends on what you're used to I suppose. I find it quite docile and civilized for normal driving, but damn fast and athletic when you begin to push it. It's a very smooth delivery of power. It's just right. My other cars that I've daily driven have far more low-end torque and punch and tire-shredding tendencies than my 997S. I've been driving forced-induction American V8's though. 500 ft lbs of torque, MINIMUM. Enough torque to drop the clutch in 3rd gear, doing 70 mph, and fishtail away with both rear tires billowing smoke. THAT'S a MONSTER!! These Porsches are highly civilized, and their power and ability is very deceiving.

Regarding the Sport Chrono, it's not the stopwatch that you buy that option for.... It's the sport setting for the throttle mapping. It's FAR more responsive, and the car drives yet even MORE aggressively with minimum throttle input. I love it, I drive in sport everywhere I go, the car feels sluggish to me when it's turned off, I'm so used to it.

Enjoy!!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:I hope that by "40 something" my mentality will not have changed so much since I was thinking that after my kids (not yet born) had gone to college I would get a GT3 since I wouldn't need rear seats anymore!!

Don't worry, Carlos. I'm 40-something (barely), and I thought the GT3 was too soft and polite when I drove one

Some folks (like you) never get too old for a hard-edged sportscar. We just need a soft daily driver to go with it at some point, I guess (not there yet either)

Congrats MMD!... don't sweat it that's the beauty of it all 40ish or 20ish it's all good...

Quote:
    MMD Being 40-something I think this car is a frickin bear for the public roads

I'm in my 20ies and at times it IS a bear or beast like what my daughter calls it!

Well, Grant, you don't count...see, you are spoiled!! no wonder the GT3 feels soft!

About the sport chrono comments I made.

I'm just tring to adjust to the fact that I don't have it. Lots of you guys say it's great. I have a lot of respect for what people say here. Anyway, I'm facing fact that I didn't get it and am probably not "rational" in my comments about it. DANG!! if only the !@#$% thing were just a button!

Geez!! Carlos!! That is @#%^&* GORGEOUS!!! WOW! Perfect Pcar interior IMHO. Thank you.

Thank Grant, its actually his lightweight '73 911 RS replica! amazing car!

MMD, sport chrono, etc are just details, you have the 997S, thats the important part, glad you liked the feel and handling.

Congratulations MMD!

Pictures please!

congrats MMD

i enjoy hearing your 'particular' perspective on your recent acquisition...

congrats MMD !! its just the initial feel relative to the M3(just switched from an M3 too)..the M3 is a more composed car( not much low end torque, 50-50 wight ratio, heavier) unless you really push it but within days i guess you will adjust and feel as comfortable( for every day driving) in your new car!

MMD,
    CONGRATULATIONS!!
    Must feel great.
    Put in as many pics as you can. Please.
    Tell us more when you have a chance.
    All the best with her.

Congrats. MMD on your new S,

From a fellow 40-something (barely-40 and 10 months. ). The way your brain and its motor control systems work is that after a few weeks in your S, all previous cars will feel to you too pathetically slow and soft with no steering feel, no road feel, and you'll be itching to pick up a 997TT!

MMD,
    I got mine yesterday, I agree with much of what you had to say...I am still trying to absorb it all. It is the most engaging vehical I have ever driven/road. Amazing. I plan on posting some pictures and a write up on Sunday, after I have had more time to drive and think.

One thing you said that is very true...,it's difficult to drive it according to the recommended break-in.You have to be a masochist to drive this car and keep the rev's under 4200. My dealer says "that's bull sh*t, just drive it", I know, a well debated topic.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Congrats. MMD on your new S,

From a fellow 40-something (barely-40 and 10 months. ). The way your brain and its motor control systems work is that after a few weeks in your S, all previous cars will feel to you too pathetically slow and soft with no steering feel, no road feel, and you'll be itching to pick up a 997TT!

Congratulations MMD !
    Over 40, over 50, over 60 : an empty piece of public road, when you know it well, can give you pleasure like a track...

Quote:
    Gary No Cal said:

One thing you said that is very true...,it's difficult to drive it according to the recommended break-in.You have to be a masochist to drive this car and keep the rev's under 4200. My dealer says "that's bull sh*t, just drive it", I know, a well debated topic.

yeah, fer shur.

I think there's a problem here also: a large number of the guys who want to go by the book, might be waiters.

What I mean is when you GET the car you realize that taking it to 5000-5500 rpms routinely (insted of the recco'ed 4200) makes alot of difference. I.e. it has plenty of pep and power and it's got a thrill factor and like driving a great car without going nuts into the near-redline areas where I normally don't go anyway on a broken-in car.

So if you drive nicely, and make 5000 to 5500 your upper limit it's alot of fun. Somehow not masochistic, just "normal" for a hot car.

Over 40 ?? age is just a number ............ look at Tommy Lee 43 ....... as far as getting into the sports seats without breaking down the side , that is an art , I make my girlfriend lower herself in the seat so she does not slide in and smash the side so you do not want to have a 40-something girlfriend unless she is agile .

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

A "Monster"?? Depends on what you're used to I suppose. I find it quite docile and civilized for normal driving, but damn fast and athletic when you begin to push it. It's a very smooth delivery of power.

LOL, now a few days later. Yeah, I overstated a bit. I was high on Porsche-zine. What great car; a little more than I'm used to (M3 and 986S); wonderful great car; has a "very smooth delivery of power," yeah..., I love it. Anyway, thanks for the clarifications 69bossnine.

Some good points, I purchased the S without Chrono after driving a friend's with Chrono on and off, I don't want two throttle's on my car I want one. Understand the track thing, but I still prefer one, if I race I tune it as needed.

My sports seats feel great, stiff, high and hug, but I'm 5'9" and 150lbs if I was anything bigger and I would have chosen another option. Wife loves the seats as well but she is also 5'9" less 30lbs then me.

Car can be amazing when pushed, even in break in period, but can also be civil in town albeit a little loud. I'm not ready for my 7 series BMW yet, I need to feel and hear the road for a few more years.

Hi Guys, I have 400 miles on it and here's a few updates:

The sport seats kinda press into the sides of my thighs. I don't know what it is because, I'm not into cheeseburgers so there's no problem back there. I think Porsche miscalculated on the un-bolstered (non-inflated) width of the seat. Hopefully it will be like my BMW sport seats a few models back: your rear end adapts to them or the cushioning breaks in and gets softer.

The PCM: I would immediately FIRE whomever developed the software. It is not user friendly enough. I know I can figure out the OMISSIONS or obscurity if I STUDIED the manual but @#%& it I have the time to do that. I must be soooo stupid because I can't stop the GD radio from going on when I turn on the NAV. I'm sorry for this rant, I have time today to STUDY the 200+ page manual, maybe I'll feel better about it after that.

Driving the car is still a wonder to me. Keeping the thing under 5000 (not 4200) is easy and it's fun. The car has lots of power for messing around on the "abandoned" roads.

I have a black interior and I'm very glad for the sunroof. There hasn't been enough praise for the sunroofs here. Unfortunately the dash has been "Americanized" (raised high) so there's a serious encapsulated feeling sitting in the car (maybe because of the black?). This is somewhat ameliorated by a push of the SR button.

Carrera Classic (five spokes) wheels are good for another reason. I just wipe the whole wheel, including inner rim, with a california duster (one that is used only for wheels) and it's done. The thing fits perfectly between calipers and rim too. Get one and use it.

Remember I "recommended" using a damp towel folloed by a dry one to clean the car between drives and washes? There were guys who did not like this idea. Well I was spritzing Griot's Speed Shine on the car yesterday and realized that, other than the added wax, wiping it with Speed Shine is the same thing as using plain wet towels, isn't it? Maybe the wax makes a difference in preventing scratches, but the waxiness doesn't seem to come intoplay until the stuff is almost dry. BTW, great stuff that SS.

This bothers me (see photo below) there's sensitive electronics so close to the dainty weather stripping under the front hood. Small arrow points to weather strip.

Can't think of much else. It's funny that most of the time I'm blissfully transfixed by being behind the wheel and travelling at crisp speeds. The darn car's a joy. All the problems I've been bitchhing about mean nothing during those periods of near-euphoria. Wow.

oh, here's that photo of the possible-major-service problem area.

Hey congrats!

Wait till you redline her, the sound is incredible! I am somewhat sad that I won't be reading your anticipation posts, those were fun!

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    Hey congrats!

Wait till you redline her, the sound is incredible! I am somewhat sad that I won't be reading your anticipation posts, those were fun!

Ha! LOL. Thanks. I'm switching over to a whole new set of Ownership whining and complaining posts. I hope people find them entertaining, informative, hysterical and sometimes even disgusting.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764615 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436662 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261122 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258031 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82693 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877023 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809124 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM