Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I caved in...

Tooner: I took some photos at our drive on Saturday. Nice to meet you and your "new" ride. I think these angles are pretty nice....

tooner: Here is another one...

yes they are vtach88! Thanks man...

Nice to meet you too! we both bailed early on that drive... I was soOO hungry I left a few minutes after you...LOL

@ amozon23

yeah they are cool I'll take a much closer look.

vtach88 those shots say's it all ... no wheel that Porsche makes currently IMO could give the car this kind of look .... absolutely a must on the 997

Anyone knows what is the weight of the Techart rim as compared to the OEM Carrera Rims? They seem to look massive in the spokes design.
    Nice looking wheels

The Techart's are gorgeous, much nicer than the Carrera Classics IMHO. How much are those wheels?

At first glance, I hated them, to be totally honest... But by the time I got to the bottom of the thread, they started looking better to me. But a bit large for me, very "California" looking, almost makes the car look like a Matchbox diecast. Hopefully you'll like them as much over the long-haul as you like them currently. But the great thing about wheels is that you can change them with 5 bolts and a tire-iron!! I had visions of buying a set of Classics, fully shod, to stack up in my garage and swap-out with my standards whenever I felt like a change of scenery. However, since I've had the car, I'm so in love with my standards, the classics have lost their appeal to me, and I'm just sticking with what I've got. Have fun!!!

I'm not sure if it is the wheels alone that make the look. I think adding spacers and lowering the ride height helped as well.
    Any pics of standard 19s with a lower ride and spacers??

Quote:
    tooner said:
    Stradale:

The SS door sills would look suave right?

I actually like the standard sills better. I like the look of the duel materials and colors (black & Silver). They cover almost the same area as the SS and you don't have to worry about scratching them as much either. Still the SS would look good, yes.

Quote:
    tooner said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    tooner said:
    another red tip

A Challenge Stradale a "red tip" ???
    Michael would be insulted !

Just kidding Stradale... I glued to the car like little boy and my friend kept saying lets go to the next one... but I did not move an inch

You can stare at a Challenge Stradale for hours. Hell, Im still finding interesting lines.

tooner ... forget the door sills and get that GT front end on ...............

Quote:
    amazon23 said:
    I still think you should have picked up the 19 carrera classic wheels.

I just found pics of the exact same car with those wheels. Check it out.

The classics are nice but no where near as nice as the TechArt Formula wheel. You have to see the wheel in person and look at the spokes from an angle. They're insane.

Quote:
    the classics are nice but no where near as nice as the TechArt Formula wheel. You have to see the wheel in person and look at the spokes from an angle. They're insane.

I could not have said it better myself ..... Those wheels on your car have got one of the fasest growing threads going that I have seen in a long time ..

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Quote:
    the classics are nice but no where near as nice as the TechArt Formula wheel. You have to see the wheel in person and look at the spokes from an angle. They're insane.

I could not have said it better myself ..... Those wheels on your car have got one of the fasest growing threads going that I have seen in a long time ..

Never saw those wheels in person. But what troubles me the most is the size of them. 20" might be too big for the car and may ruined the comfort and handling. The car was developped from the start to run on 19". When you get bigger wheels, you slow the car down, the ride gets stiffer. That alone, would keep me away from those wheels.

Tooner, your car looks great but it's not for me..
    A cars wheels should compliment the shape of the car + enhance it not distract attention from it IMO. I bet the first thing people look at when your driving is your wheels..

I'm not bad-mouthing you, we just have different preferences. It does look good though.
    BTW, don't those wheels affect performance??

996toomey - its GT silver

Quote:
    tooner said:
    Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    It looks so good lowered why are not more people lowering them ? I think the factory front end of the aero kit would look great on this car not the Techart with the side skirts but the factory aero kit front minus the wing .

I'm craving for the GT style front end LoL... we'll see...

Any thoughts?

Look closely....Porsche did go for a VERY subtle take on the CGT front bumper... It is very fussy but it has the same basic design. Forget about the bottom spoiler and look at the intakes. Its like it's one large intake with 2 "splitters" doing down and inward, with another, smaller pair, going in the same direction. Its there on the Stock Carreras as well, if you take those horizontal lines at the sides away.

Then again, the fact that I myself only noticed that after a while shows that porsche should have made it more pronounced. I really hoped the turbo would come out with a front bumper that really mirrors the CGT.
    The TTP kit looks like it does an OK job with that.

Quote:
    amazon23 said:
    Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Quote:

Never saw those wheels in person. But what troubles me the most is the size of them. 20" might be too big for the car and may ruined the comfort and handling. The car was developped from the start to run on 19". When you get bigger wheels, you slow the car down, the ride gets stiffer. That alone, would keep me away from those wheels.

I'm not sure about that. Many times if you get bigger wheels the outside circumference remains the same because the tire profile is smaller. Which does lead to a firmer ride but shouldn't slow down the car. It depends I think on the weight then of the 20" wheel vs. the 19"s. The rolling mass. I'm not argueing with you though as I had a deposit on the same exact wheels but cancelled them once I took delivery and drove my car in sport. For my area on an everyday car the 20's would be to harsh for me. It's a sick look. If I was planning on keeping my car I might have done it anyway.

Maybe someone with tire/wheel technical knowledge can explain.

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    tooner said:
    Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    It looks so good lowered why are not more people lowering them ? I think the factory front end of the aero kit would look great on this car not the Techart with the side skirts but the factory aero kit front minus the wing .

I'm craving for the GT style front end LoL... we'll see...

Any thoughts?

Look closely....Porsche did go for a VERY subtle take on the CGT front bumper... It is very fussy but it has the same basic design. Forget about the bottom spoiler and look at the intakes. Its like it's one large intake with 2 "splitters" doing down and inward, with another, smaller pair, going in the same direction. Its there on the Stock Carreras as well, if you take those horizontal lines at the sides away.

Then again, the fact that I myself only noticed that after a while shows that porsche should have made it more pronounced. I really hoped the turbo would come out with a front bumper that really mirrors the CGT.
    The TTP kit looks like it does an OK job with that.

I think the TT will look A LOT like that front bumper, plus the round fog light thingy on the side.

Damn, it looks great!!!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I'm not sure about that. Many times if you get bigger wheels the outside circumference remains the same because the tire profile is smaller. Which does lead to a firmer ride but shouldn't slow down the car. It depends I think on the weight then of the 20" wheel vs. the 19"s. The rolling mass. I'm not argueing with you though as I had a deposit on the same exact wheels but cancelled them once I took delivery and drove my car in sport. For my area on an everyday car the 20's would be to harsh for me. It's a sick look. If I was planning on keeping my car I might have done it anyway.

Maybe someone with tire/wheel technical knowledge can explain.

For what I understand, if the wheel's circumference is bigger, the topspeed will be the same but you'll need more torque to get the same perfs as the same car equipped with smaller rims. It does notaffect the bhp perfs, it affects the torque perfs. (going from 60 to 90 will take more time)

Yes you can use lower profile tires, but it will be even worst for the ride quality. I don't even know what kind of tires with lower tire profile you could use on the 997.

Just my 2cents. Anyone is welcome to correct if I'm wrong.

The most important thing is to make sure your third party wheels "suck out" through the disks rather than "blow in" otherwise they will affect the aerodynamic stability of the car at high speeds (as a result of blowing air into the flat undertray, creating unwanted lift).

Your Techart ones look fine (the innward flange will hopefully suck air out through the disks) & as other posters have said, they're sick!

S.

Thanks everyone... forums are cool I was gone for eight days and I feel disconnected already

Performance... If I track the car then maybe all that handling and ride stuff will come to play, as for everyday use... NONE whatsoever changes have been felt [except when PASM is on then its real stiff] Lift/ Aerodynamics: the same feels light around 90+ MPH on the front end and nothing different from before.

I'm aware that I may a have lost some performance stats but... really now... it's just cool man.

Power loss: I think this can be address by new intake and Giac chip... maybe

Once again thanks everyone

I've got the TA 22's on my Cayenne Turbo and they look stunning. Imo those 20's look just a tad big on the 997. I think TA make a 19" version too. Perhaps I will look into those as replacements for the upcoming Classics which will be on my new C4s cab......

Still...congrats, it's a gorgeous car!

mish: can you confirm that they make 19s? I couldn't find them online, but would love to be wrong.

Quote:
    vtach88 said:
    mish: can you confirm that they make 19s? I couldn't find them online, but would love to be wrong.

Vtach...yes indeed. They make an 18, a 19 and a 20" "FORMULA" wheel for the 997.

They obviously all look the same....I think the 18's might look gorgeous!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM