Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Any regrets choosing black?

In my ongoing quest for the 'right' cab, I picked out an '05 black (not basalt)/black cab from the dealer lot. Looked really good even though it had been outside in the sun and rain. Drove wonderfully. Felt solid and tight, unlike the arctic silver/gray I drove a week before and that I wrote about here. Told the salesman to wash and wax it up, and park it in the showroom, top down. I drove by after hours later that night and saw it. Absolutely stunning. Most beautiful Porsche I've ever seen. And, it's priced right and I can deal with this dealer.

So, the obvious. What about black? I'm the type that personally washes and waxes my Porsches. I don't mind it. And I did note that even when not recently washed, the black cab looked wonderful. Am I crazy? Any regrets out there?

Patriot

Re: Any regrets choosing black?

Black is beautiful. I just accept it for what it is, a PITA to keep swirl free. If you can get over that then you'll love it.

Patriot, no regrets here.. I have wanted straight black since a teenager, IMHO nothing beats a clean black car. So elegant, yet so nasty. I take care of my 997s myself like you do, and yes, it does show dirt easier and I do worry about swirl marks. However, I enjoy keeping it smooth and wet looking. My cab hasn't been washed in a week and still looks sweet. I do have one of those dusters that works well to keep it somewhat dust free between washes. Anyway, I say go for it, theres something special about a straight black cab! Here's some pics for ya...
    /uploads/126949-cab016.jpg

Woops forgot to resize.. here ya go

another

Quote:
    Patriot said:
    In my ongoing quest for the 'right' cab, I picked out an '05 black (not basalt)/black cab from the dealer lot. Looked really good even though it had been outside in the sun and rain. Drove wonderfully. Felt solid and tight, unlike the arctic silver/gray I drove a week before and that I wrote about here. Told the salesman to wash and wax it up, and park it in the showroom, top down. I drove by after hours later that night and saw it. Absolutely stunning. Most beautiful Porsche I've ever seen. And, it's priced right and I can deal with this dealer.

So, the obvious. What about black? I'm the type that personally washes and waxes my Porsches. I don't mind it. And I did note that even when not recently washed, the black cab looked wonderful. Am I crazy? Any regrets out there?

Patriot

No regrets. I hand wash and wax my 996TSCab triple black once a week, and even by day 7, even after a rainstorm, the car still turns heads, top up or down.

One more

Greg - your black S cab is THE reason I'm considering black myself. Your cab is absolutely awesome bro.

Patriot

PITA to keep clean. The p21S car cleaning stuff works really well if the swirls start to appear (mine had a few too many after 7 months but looks great again after a few hours with the p21s polish first and wax afterwards). Usually wax the car every 2 weeks and it really does look the business.

Patriot,

Getting a black 997 should be a decision that is made with some thought, as you obviously are doing. I have had several black cars (my dealer informed by today that my blk/blk S should be here within 2 days!)
    Don't get black if you are very fussy about the appearance of your car and you don't have the time/inclination to care for it regularly. It will drive you nuts.
    However, if you can spend the time washing it, it is IMO the most visually stunning color avalable for the 997. I don't like all cars in black, in fact for some reason I don't like Boxsters in black, perfer ocean blue.
    My black S will be a 3rd car driven from garage to garage so it will be a lot easier for me to care for. Hope that helps. You may also want to check out the threads on washing. They have some really good info on the right way and right materials to use, especially important on black.

No regrets. I hand wash and wax my 996TSCab triple black once a week, and even by day 7, even after a rainstorm, the car still turns heads, top up or down.

Nothing looks as good as a brand new or recently washed/polished/waxed black car. However, not everyone has the time to go through this process above (washing, paint cleaner/polish, waxing takes me approx 3 hours) every week. I do this 3 times a year and wash (with gentle shampoo) twice a month. I figure I'm saving over 50-100 hours per year in comparison to the above method. That is nearly 2-4 days of time that I can use for other activities - including driving the car!!
    I've gone with Arctic silver as it speaks to me all the time - and I only notice the dirt when it really builds up(I rarely let that happen).
    But, as people have mentioned, you can't go wrong with black as it is also a classic color. Get it if it makes your heart skip a beat.
    Detailing a car is a hobby for some and an obsession for others. As time is limited, I prefer to drive.

did it Porsche after Porsche and last time I got silver ... It was like the weight of the world had been lifted off me . For me too much time went in to keeping it clean or wishing it was clean ...

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    did it Porsche after Porsche and last time I got silver ... It was like the weight of the world had been lifted off me . For me too much time went in to keeping it clean or wishing it was clean ...

it's not that hard to keep a black car clean, i've got 3 black cars atm and i wash them once a week and it's fine like that. no need to go overkill

to me the black color was the only thing i was not willing to give away when i was choosing my car its just STUNNING!

if you really like it JUST DO IT MAN

Regrets ? Talk to my black back !
    Why do you want to have it permanently clean ?
    Variety is better.
    I love black clean AND I LOVE IT DIRTY !
    When black is clean, it's "overclean", and when it's dirty, it's "overdirty" !
    In either case, it's great !

black is a heartbreaker. i wouldn't buy a black car again.

Let's just say my current car is black and my next car will be silver. That kinda sums up my view on this. Life is just too short to spend washing and waxing a car EVERY week. Get out there and just have fun! That's my view...

I want to order a black car again when I put my 997 order in but I am way too OCD that is the bottom line . If you are the kind of person who is like this black can really gets in the way of enjoying the car . I love taking long road trips and it is so hard to find a good place to wash and detail the car when you are traveling and it takes time away from your trip . If you stay close to home it is much easier with your own garage hose etc. , but for me the car only really goes out on road trips .

Black does require extra patience, so it's not the color for everyone. Take an honest look in the mirror, and if you're a detail-oriented sort who enjoys fussing over your car when you clean it, black is extremely rewarding to own. My 997S is black. My foul-weather, load-hauling, haul the dogs to the lake, airport shuttling, etc.etc. truck is silver. But I don't understand some of the comments on this thread either.

Swirl marks?? Don't blame the black, blame the products you use, or the techniques employed, or the materials you apply them with. If you're getting swirl marks as a result of the wax that you're using (i.e., not scratch-swirls, but prismatic swirls), change waxes. My common and affordable Meguiars Gold Class does not swirl whatsoever. If you're getting swirl marks that are IN the paint (microscopic scratches), you're destroying your own paint by your own hand, either by using bad applicators, or working with a dirty surface, dusty conditions, or a contaminated applicator.

Waxing every week or two weeks? That's a ridiculous notion. Overkill, you're doing more damage rubbing like crazy on your paint that often than you're doing good. A wax every 2-3 months is more than adequate, with good and thorough washes in-between using gentle quality car-wash solutions.

I don't care WHAT color your car is, if you're not washing it once a week, you're just being lazy about it. And don't tell me that the measely one-hour-per-week that you would have spent washing her up, you will instead spend "driving" and enjoying your car. Puhleez... You all know that you're spending that hour in question power-farting into your sofa cushions with a beer on the coffee table watching football....

IMO a car that would be always clean and glittering would look like a collection car or a sunday car for sunday driver, fearing to really use it for what it's made !
    It's nice to drive a glittering clean car, but as everything, it becomes boring if it's all the time the same !
    I do like sometimes to have a dirty car, sometimes a clean one.
    Dirtiness and dust means that an object has been used and that it has a story.
    A permanent clean car seems to come directly out of the showroom, it doesn't live, it's "toc" (fake, spurious...)
    What about the wrinkles on your face ?
    Don't you like it ?
    Do you systematically try to hide it ?
    Obessionality doesn't preserve us from the Chaos, just makes it more threating, and doesn't postpone the end, just makes the way more painful !
    So buy a black one if you like it, and don't worry !

For a while Black was the only color I would buy. Have 2 black suv's now and my last Porsche was black. This time went with Artic. Although I wanted something this time around that would be easier to keep looking clean the MAIN reason I went for Artic this time is I like the way convertibles look when there is contrast between the interior color and roof against the exterior color. Black Porsche's look great. Black doesn't show body lines as well as Silver but Black hides body panel lines and reflects images like no other color. It just looks dam good when clean. As long as you don't hate frequent washes and details to keep it looking sharp and don't mind if it doesn't look its best sometimes then IMO I would get the color that you love the most. I think that should be FIRST priority, getting the color that you think looks the best when clean. I wouldn't get a second choice color for something high-end like a 997 just because it will be less work. But that's just me.

That Black 997 S cab in your pics has the PSE too ? I'd jump on it if you haven't already.

I like black so much my 997TT will also be black.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

I don't care WHAT color your car is, if you're not washing it once a week, you're just being lazy about it.

Hey common man, urban life is so stressed even at weekends. There's a million things that ALL have to be done at weekends (well, at least, that's what my wife insists is the case)...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

And don't tell me that the measely one-hour-per-week that you would have spent washing her up, you will instead spend "driving" and enjoying your car. Puhleez... You all know that you're spending that hour in question power-farting into your sofa cushions with a beer on the coffee table watching football....

Ohh man, you crack me up LOL ROFL ...sadly people can perfect the art of power-farting silently so you don't realise what's about to hit you until it's too late and your nose is history...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

I don't care WHAT color your car is, if you're not washing it once a week, you're just being lazy about it.

Hey common man, urban life is so stressed even at weekends. There's a million things that ALL have to be done at weekends (well, at least, that's what my wife insists is the case)...sometimes weekends are so busy, the only time you actually get to relax is when you're actually on vacation.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

And don't tell me that the measely one-hour-per-week that you would have spent washing her up, you will instead spend "driving" and enjoying your car. Puhleez... You all know that you're spending that hour in question power-farting into your sofa cushions with a beer on the coffee table watching football....

Ohh, you crack me up...sadly people perfect the art of power-farting silently so you don't realise what's about to hit you until it's too late and your nose is history...

Power-farting and beer is a deadly combination.

When I would clean the 997, it really took only 15 minutes. I would wash it about every 10 days, or before something special. I used a soft bristle brush (my synthetic, works the same as my horse haired brush) on a five foot stick. I would then wax the car (that took about an hour) about once a month. The waxing time was about 15 minutes less, if I would wash and wax every week. I never had any swirl marks on the Porsche because I did not wash with a towel, use any polishes, or use any of those evil waxing/polishing buffers. If I were to get another Porsche, I would choose the Black again. You gotta love that outlaw look.

Cheers,

jb

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    I like black so much my 997TT will also be black.

Black 997 TT - Sweet.

I thought about my 997 TT Cab in Black but almost positive I'm going with the same color combo. I have now w/ my 997 S Cab. I really love the Artic/Black look.
    Still love black cars though. My sold black on black Turbo :

i've had 4 black cars to date, and i have had no regrets! it does get frustrating sometimes, but you get used to it and it doesn't become an issue after a while at all. here is my black SL 55(now sold)

i liked black so much, that i got the SL65 in the exact same colour next to it is my black carrera S cab

I didn't know who sold the 55 for a 65.
    Dude - You are serioulsy my feakin hero.

black looks :

1. sporty
    2. sexy
    3. more gleam
    4. shorter...so nice

no doubt.
    my previous cars are Black

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689681 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409315 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255791 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235015 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65542 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858075 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774136 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM