Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Trackday helmet?

Going on a trackday in my 986 shortly, and I need a helmet.
    I'm wodnering if I need an open rally-type helmet or a closed one.
    Dont wanna spend a bundle but dont want crappy gear either.
    This is the helmet I had in mind (probably without the rally-speaker-intercom-talk to the pitcrew-thingy).
    Thoughts?

Re: Trackday helmet?

I didnt know you had gotten a WRC contract

Unless you have added a racing seat,5 point harness and gotten rid of the drivers airbag, a closed style helmet
    is probably safer to use.

You might want to take some extra power steering, brake, coolant fluids and oil in case you have to top up before
    or afterwards.

I think a full face helmet is safer too, especially with a roadster...

The SCCA has stated unofficially that they feel a closed face helmet is not as safe in a car with an airbag as an open face style....apparently if the full force of the airbag hits the lower front of the full face helmet it is a larger concentration of forces than if it envelops the full face when it explodes. It's still under study, so they have not issued anything official.

I've got a Roof helmet from when I used to ride a bike and it's pretty good, but a bit pricey. I recently bought another one for a third of the price and it's much comfier! I do like the Roof though as you can flip the front up to talk to people without taking the thing off. Best of both worlds!

trackday helmet? you mean you don't wear one while driving normally?

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    trackday helmet? you mean you don't wear one while driving normally?

Erm..no?
    Do you wear one in YOUR Boxster?

Quote:
    Steve R said:
    I've got a Roof helmet from when I used to ride a bike and it's pretty good, but a bit pricey. I recently bought another one for a third of the price and it's much comfier! I do like the Roof though as you can flip the front up to talk to people without taking the thing off. Best of both worlds!

Thx, Steve.
    Maybe an MC helmet will also be more affordable?
    I dunno - I just wanna avoid loaning a stinky old enflatulated smell...thing.
    Coolest Ive seen so far are these:

Quote:
    Steve R said:

Thx, Steve.
    Maybe an MC helmet will also be more affordable?
    I dunno - I just wanna avoid loaning a stinky old enflatulated smell...thing.

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    The SCCA has stated unofficially that they feel a closed face helmet is not as safe in a car with an airbag as an open face style....apparently if the full force of the airbag hits the lower front of the full face helmet it is a larger concentration of forces than if it envelops the full face when it explodes. It's still under study, so they have not issued anything official.

They released the one memo and then nothing since. Nor was there any statistical evidence to provide support, or strong reasoning given. The study was from over ten years ago if I recall. I'd like to hear more. In the meahwhile, the SCCA hasn't banned close faced helmets with airbags.

In light of this absence of proof, it's hard to know what to believe.

The other helmet I use is a Shark S500. It's only about UKPounds75 but it's really comfortable and the vents are great.

Interesting article on helmets

There is a recent article on helmets in Motor Cyclist magazine which is well worth reading:

Motorcycle Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off

Note though that this article is discussing specifically motorcycle type accidents. The tests that they are so critical of for motorcycles are probably more appropriate for cars with roll cages, etc. Still, some very interesting conclusions. Snell responded quite aggressively to this article.

Stephen

Tried a Peltor fullface helmet. Really, really comfy and light (1 kg), but pretty blah in color and design (white) and also twice the price of an open Stilo.
    Decisions, decisions.
    /uploads/127366-Peltor_full_facenointercom._tn150.jpg

Re: Interesting article on helmets

Excellent article Stephen! Thanks.

And well written too. I think I liked it as much for the style as the content.

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    There is a recent article on helmets in Motor Cyclist magazine which is well worth reading:

Motorcycle Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off

Note though that this article is discussing specifically motorcycle type accidents. The tests that they are so critical of for motorcycles are probably more appropriate for cars with roll cages, etc. Still, some very interesting conclusions. Snell responded quite aggressively to this article.

Stephen

You mean they have a MACHINE that can bang your head against the desk for you?!!

I NEED one of those!

D.

Quote:
    Carrageous said:
    You mean they have a MACHINE that can bang your head against the desk for you?!!

I NEED one of those!

Like many things in life, doing it yourself is a lot more fun!

Stephen

Doc do not forget this is your head, and if you are not carefulll you will feel in the mentioned order

Also consider if you one day go singleseater, not sure the WRC style you looked at will be the right choise. If you on the other hand should use it for biking it is another case as the view is not made for it.

I would at anytime take a full face which maybe just is an old habbit. Take a look at something like this picture

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Tried a Peltor fullface helmet. Really, really comfy and light (1 kg), but pretty blah in color and design (white) and also twice the price of an open Stilo.
    Decisions, decisions.

you can always have it custom painted right Dr?

Quote:
    long720 said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Decisions, decisions.

you can always have it custom painted right Dr?

EXACTLY what I had in mind!
    Red with retro "Dr. Phil" on the sides, my blodtype and measurements (193, 96, 23 and 12"...hehe).
    Seriously, I want it custom painted. And don't worry, I'll try to stay clear of eagles, pinups, flames and roaring tigers.
    But I gotta have bling-bling metallic glam-gloss finish and suede straps....that's a given

Quote:
    tso said:
    Doc do not forget this is your head, and if you are not carefulll you will feel in the mentioned order

Also consider if you one day go singleseater, not sure the WRC style you looked at will be the right choise. If you on the other hand should use it for biking it is another case as the view is not made for it.

I would at anytime take a full face which maybe just is an old habbit. Take a look at something like this picture

T, I've decided to take the Peltor Fullface unless something better (i.e. just as comfy and cheaper) comes along.
    Price and quality (meaning protection) do not neccesarily match according to the above article - so I'm still looking,

Go for a Simpson-helmet and write "The Stig - reloaded" on the side....

I use a Sparco Challenger (full face) and am very happy with it. Besides my model has blue and grey decoration on the white ground. Not really a personal design but I didn't had to invest anything foir not having an all white helmet. And togehter with the Sparco shoes, gloves and overall it all matches together for track use...

Sparco Challenger Helmet - click here

Quote:
    Moogle said:

Hehehe---- "how is thy driving, my Master?"

Pretty cool, eh?
    I wonder if you can see anything through the shield...?

Wow!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690626 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409864 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256081 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235319 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65723 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4721 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858536 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774805 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM