Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Cuts Carrera GT Production

http://motoring.reuters.co.uk/reuters/vocmain.jsp?lnk=101&id=1281

I think the car was overpriced .. it by producing many more cars the price would have been considerably lower I think the car would have been much more successful .

Re: Porsche Cuts Carrera GT Production

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    http://motoring.reuters.co.uk/reuters/vocmain.jsp?lnk=101&id=1281

I think the car was overpriced .. it by producing many more cars the price would have been considerably lower I think the car would have been much more successful .

When at the Merc B center over the weekend, we talked a lot about supercars sales, my friend from Ferrari confirmed that contrary to what the client think and what Ferrari said, the company struggled really hard to sell the last 40 to 50 Enzos.
    True, they had the 399 orders when the car was announced, but a lot of client backed out when it was time to pay.
    Regarding the Carrera GT, when you think about it, it's not too bad, Porsche cuts back their expectation by about 15%.
    I fact they did something pretty smart, sales had litterally stalled for months at about 900 units, then, realising they were never gonna make the 1500 mark, they announced they would actually cut production, and that announcement had a positive effect, Porsche received over 300 orders in weeks. People probably thought that the fewer untis, the better they would keep their value.
    Now the SLR, oh poor SLR, Merc planned 500 a year for 6 years or something like that.
    When I asked the bosses on Saturday how sales were looking, they all looked down...
    Unfortunately, Merc is bracing for a some bad numbers here.
    I don't think the CGT was to highly priced, the SLR, maybe, but not sure. There are many different factors, grim economy in Europe, high oil price, the wife , etc...
    Lastly, when I asked my friend about the Enzo FXX, he replied, no way we'll sell 20, they are still plenty available, whatever he meant by plenty, but again, smart play by Ferrari, car cost little to develop apparently and bring them 1.5 Millions Euros each + Tax!

How about making a right-hand drive version stupid Porsche heads!!! Potential customers in:

Australia
    Hong Kong
    India
    Indonesia
    Ireland
    Japan
    New Zealand
    Singapore
    South Africa
    United Kingdom
    Zimbabwe

Quote:
    Danny G said:
    How about making a right-hand drive version stupid Porsche heads!!! Potential customers in:

I don't think they are stupid, they probably did their homework, and worked out that the additionnal costs of developing a RHD version were not worse the potential benefits. Sad for LHD countries though I agree.

Actually old news...too much money to re-engineer the air-bags to dual-stage for the US.
    Pumping out all remaining US cars as MY05....

I'm not sure how M-B expects to sell SLR's with SL65's available in the same showroom packing 604 horsepower at less than half the price.

Quote:
    Trundle997S said:
    Actually old news...too much money to re-engineer the air-bags to dual-stage for the US.
    Pumping out all remaining US cars as MY05....

I don't understand, re-engineer the air-bags for the US? Sorry if my question is unintelligible.

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    I'm not sure how M-B expects to sell SLR's with SL65's available in the same showroom packing 604 horsepower at less than half the price.

I testdrove a 65 last weekend, and knowing the 55, all I can say is that it feels like a 55 but faster with much more torque all across the rev range.
    My favourite is the 55 with pack performance which I believe is sadly not available on the 65.
    I will soon testdrive the SLR but I expect to be a very very different that the slightly disappointing 65 despite the 14 hp difference only.

I'm kinda surprised that Reuters would run this as recent news.

It was common knowledge on the web the second week of May (about 2 seconds after the dealer memos were received).

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    my friend from Ferrari confirmed that contrary to what the client think and what Ferrari said, the company struggled really hard to sell the last 40 to 50 Enzos.

If that were true, why do they continue to sell for WAY over original list in the aftermarket?

Gary

Are they selling? or that's just the asking price?

So, how many CGT's are produced amd how much of them are sold? I'm just wondering...

Quote:
    brunner said:

How much did #400 go for? Though for charity the car I believe fetched over one million.

The CGT though a wonderful car for a very select few drivers is an embarrassment to the Porsche line. For it to be discounted by almost 10% from MSRP is a sad legacy for one of the best sport cars ever built.

It depends on the market Gary,
    Maybe it's different in the US.
    They had two Enzos for sale in France, they eventually did sale them but it took many months.
    Also, it is Ferrari SPA policy to not only NEVER sale over MSRP a second hand car but also to cross off from their client's list anyone who buys a brand new Ferrari to sell it for a profit.
    V8 models are difficult to trace but Enzos owner have been crossed off on the European market.
    I know one of them has been refused a Superamerica for example.
    Sad truth is, dealers do it nonetheless

Quote:
    Danny G said:

Australia
    Hong Kong
    India
    Indonesia
    Ireland
    Japan
    New Zealand
    Singapore
    South Africa
    United Kingdom
    Zimbabwe

ZIMBABWE?! ROFL!!!

thanks for remembering us down here danny
    i checked in a recent article, that to date there has been 3 enzo's that have been imported to the shores of SA. an 19 other ferrari's during last year.

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:

very true, i took the SL because:
    A) it's cheaper
    B) the roof comes off

i know that you can't really compare the 2 but comparing what you get for your money i'd take the 65 over the SLR...

Damn now I have to get rich in a hurry

Quote:
    Fanch said:

As far as I can determine, Enzos are trading hands in the US for $750 to 800k.

Gary

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

As far as I can determine, Enzos are trading hands in the US for $750 to 800k.

Gary

Per these anecdotes re: difficult new Enzo sales for F, the Euro mkt for $200K+ cars just sounds much shallower than the US mkt...sounds like London and Monte Carlo just don't buy enough new $200K+ cars vs NYC/SF/LA....

F should just ship 70% of their cars to US (as opposed to 30-40% currently) and directly distribute 90% of those US cars to the NYC/SF/LA mkts....that approach would prob solve the above-MSRP and long wait-list issues and prob kill a lot of the broker business of procuring cars from F dealers located in various obscure US towns/villages to be reallocated/shipped to the deeper coastal F buyer bases....

Its interesting to see too that the SL65 has the v12 while SLR doesn't

Quote:
    tdf360 said:As far as I can determine, Enzos are trading hands in the US for $750 to 800k.

Low mileage (<1000 miles) examples are still fetching above $900k.

1250 sales at close to half a million dollars in price,(add whatever sales tax you have to pay)over a couple of years production looks like a success to me.

Just how many real buyers are there in the world for cars at that price range? Porsche did a great job of selling as many as they did.

If or when the real estate bubble bursts, the exotic car market may sink with it for awhile, so Porsche ending the CGT run at 1250 cars may be very clever.

Considering the Carrera GT costs as much as it does, selling that many is a real achievement. It adds cache to the brand - the cache lost because of the Cayenne...

I've only seen a CGT up close but never driven one. It's gorgeous....but it's so unrealistically expensive for most mere mortals like me that I don't even allow myself to daydream about owning one....

Quote:
    Radar said:
    Quote:
    tdf360 said:As far as I can determine, Enzos are trading hands in the US for $750 to 800k.

Low mileage (<1000 miles) examples are still fetching above $900k.

Thats what I've seen too. Asking $1-$1.2 mill. Selling above $900,000.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:

How much did #400 go for? Though for charity the car I believe fetched over one million.

The CGT though a wonderful car for a very select few drivers is an embarrassment to the Porsche line. For it to be discounted by almost 10% from MSRP is a sad legacy for one of the best sport cars ever built.

If you look back on some of the most popular Porsches today, Carrera RS, RSR, mid engine 6cyl VW Porsche( brain drain, I can't remember the name of the model) all sold with big discount because consumers thought they were too expensive at the time. They are some of the rarest and most popular today.

Quote:
    dan996 said:
    If you look back on some of the most popular Porsches today, Carrera RS, RSR, mid engine 6cyl VW Porsche( brain drain, I can't remember the name of the model) .....

914/6

2006 US regulations require all dual airbag cars to offer side impact bags as well, this would require a re-design of the carbon bodywork, not an option hence the end to GT sales in the US which is Porsche's largest market.

Quote:
    hamilton93 said:
    2006 US regulations require all dual airbag cars to offer side impact bags as well, this would require a re-design of the carbon bodywork, not an option hence the end to GT sales in the US which is Porsche's largest market.

No kidding! Those are excuses Porsche is giving their dealers. Side airbags are already in the GT's doors and the smart airbag is available in other 2006 P-cars.

It isn't an excuse.

It is not about side impact airbags. It's about "smart airbags" or dual stage airbags. This issue is not new. Search the forum and you can find posts going back over a year with detailed information and links to the official documents Porsche submitted to the DOT regarding this issue.

Porsche did not design the car to comply with the regulations b/c at the time they were considered a light line manufacturer and the CGT would be exempt from compliance. The company's status changed and they couldn't re-design the car to comply without considerable expenditures. What would you do?

Greg A

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760386 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434208 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259919 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257065 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80704 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871096 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806235 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM