Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Debagging 997's A good Idea or insecurity?

Badge deletion is a bigger deal in Europe not so much in the US, #1 reason in Europe is you can get a 5 series BMW with a 1.8L engine so some remove the badge. The opposite occurs as gas is such a premium that folks remove E500 from their mercedes as not to seem wasteful or very wealthy.

Here in the states most folks will recognize a Porsche and even a 911 but will have no clue of the difference between a S or a non-S car, let alone a 997 4S and the base model.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Holminator said:
    I've debadge my S and non S cars. Why? Cleaner look. Easier to wax. Less ostentatious (no-bling, bling factor). Even when someone ask me what I drive, I just say it's either an El Camino (if it's not in sight) or a little German sports car unless they also have an outstanding vehicle. It's called false modesty. I figure I already know what the car's name is so why advertise??? I'm not looking for attention; I'm looking for a hard driving machine! Debadge your car today ["those aren't the droids you're looking for"].

Couldn't give a crap about what other people think of what I drive. Attention, no attention also couldn't give a damn. That's what I meant above. I think many people who fool around with the cars badging are overthinking it. They say they are doing it to down play the car. Doing it because it has something to do with other peoples perceptions. "Less ostentatious" - F um. Who cares what other people think ? "Why advertise" ? Who's advertising ? Who cares ? Overthinking it.

"Someone asks me what I drive" - I tell them. Why lie. Not everyone thinks badly of people for driving a nice car. Most of the times (I like to think) it's because they're also a car person. If they're the other type and would think I'm stuck up if I answer honestly then again - F- um. Don't ask me if it makes you upset.

Bottom line if they're asking because they like cars - cool. If they're the other type to hell with them anyway.

Stradale,
    Couldn't agree more! We have nothing to appologize for. Driving a car of our choice is our right. Spending my hard earned money anyway I want to is also my right (as long as the wife is Ok with it!).

I understand the easier to wax, cleaner look but I really don't get how debagging de-blings a 997 I didn't think it was bling.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Holminator said:
    I've debadge my S and non S cars. Why? Cleaner look. Easier to wax. Less ostentatious (no-bling, bling factor). Even when someone ask me what I drive, I just say it's either an El Camino (if it's not in sight) or a little German sports car unless they also have an outstanding vehicle. It's called false modesty. I figure I already know what the car's name is so why advertise??? I'm not looking for attention; I'm looking for a hard driving machine! Debadge your car today ["those aren't the droids you're looking for"].

Couldn't give a crap about what other people think of what I drive. Attention, no attention also couldn't give a damn. That's what I meant above. I think many people who fool around with the cars badging are overthinking it. They say they are doing it to down play the car. Doing it because it has something to do with other peoples perceptions. "Less ostentatious" - F um. Who cares what other people think ? "Why advertise" ? Who's advertising ? Who cares ? Overthinking it.

"Someone asks me what I drive" - I tell them. Why lie. Not everyone thinks badly of people for driving a nice car. Most of the times (I like to think) it's because they're also a car person. If they're the other type and would think I'm stuck up if I answer honestly then again - F- um. Don't ask me if it makes you upset.

Bottom line if they're asking because they like cars - cool. If they're the other type to hell with them anyway.

Agree.

Me too (unless they key my ride)! Of course you care what other people think. You dudes are human. There's no way around it. You guys crack me up. Where's Dr. Phil to explain this. If I really didn't care what other people think, I would have drove my car naked today. Hmm, that would have been fun. It was f'ing hot today!

This message has been brought to you by the Keepin' It Real Club of America.

Today she was in a car show. Sexy, isn't she?

Check this old girl out.

Slick pic Holmi! ;!

I wont do the badge yet but yours look awesome!

hehe, a friend of mine drives a debadged, de-amg-body-kitted , de-amg-rimmed e55.

he says he doesnt like people revving their cars at him all the time.

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Holminator said:

Agree.

Me too (unless they key my ride)! Of course you care what other people think. You dudes are human. There's no way around it. You guys crack me up. Where's Dr. Phil to explain this. If I really didn't care what other people think, I would have drove my car naked today. Hmm, that would have been fun. It was f'ing hot today!

This message has been brought to you by the Keepin' It Real Club of America.

Today she was in a car show. Sexy, isn't she?

Your car looks SOOOO good ! Specialy the part between the licence plate and the wing

BTW..does anyone have a pic of the badge in car color ? ( option: CUC )

Tony,

The point is, I'm buying a P for my enjoyment- for the love of the car. It's my dream. If other folks appreciate it, that's great- all the better. I'm not an envious person- if someone has something nice, I'm happy for them. It doesn't detract from my life - I'm blessed! I just really don't care about the feelings of those who are envious/ jealous about others property, wealth, women... That's their problem not mine. I believe if I can make it/ succeed, they can too.

BTW, your baby is looking as sweet as ever! Thanks for the picture!

Is that Jenna next to the yellow car?

Wow! Some of you guys are extremely disciplined and well trained, not to be bothered by what other people think.

In cultural anthropology you quickly learn that every gesture sends a message.

So when you see a plain Jane 3 series BMW with an M3 badge on it, what do you think? When you see a guy re-filling a JW Black Label bottle with J&B what do you think?

When you go to a Porsche club auto show, you see a de-badged Carrera do you look for the red calipers? What goes thru your mind when you "happen to notice" they are black, anything?

When a hot MBcar goes by, do you look for the AMG label? Are you frustrated slightly when there's no designation on such a hot MBcar?

When you get close enough to a hot babe; your age and your type, are you looking for a wedding ring?

So, my conclusion is, unless your answers are consistent with those of a Zen Master, or blind priest, you're all effected by labels, or the lack of labels.

On another board somebody took the badge off their Boxster S and drove it around, soon thereafter he overheard somebody say about his bare-assed car, "Oh, that's the cheap one" he went home and immediately put the Boxster S badge back on.

Crazy world, we're all in this together. I'm sure the Australian Aborigines have their version of the same problems.

Quote:
    MMD said:

When you go to a Porsche club auto show, you see a de-badged Carrera do you look for the red calipers? What goes thru your mind when you "happen to notice" they are black, anything?

..and what if the debadged P has yellow calipers..? What does that mean?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Wow! Some of you guys are extremely disciplined and well trained, not to be bothered by what other people think.

So when you see a plain Jane 3 series BMW with an M3 badge on it, what do you think? When you see a guy re-filling a JW Black Label bottle with J&B what do you think?

When a hot MBcar goes by, do you look for the AMG label? Are you frustrated slightly when there's no designation on such a hot MBcar?

When you get close enough to a hot babe; your age and your type, are you looking for a wedding ring?

So, my conclusion is, unless your answers are consistent with those of a Zen Master, or blind priest, you're all effected by labels, or the lack of labels.

On another board somebody took the badge off their Boxster S and drove it around, soon thereafter he overheard somebody say about his bare-assed car, "Oh, that's the cheap one" he went home and immediately put the Boxster S badge back on.

Crazy world, we're all in this together. I'm sure the Australian Aborigines have their version of the same problems.

Holminator,

It certainly is a cleaner look without the badge. I like it.

Quote:
    Gnil said:

..and what if the debadged P has yellow calipers..? What does that mean?

I know! What a mess. It means something there was an intention behind removing the badge. What an annoying problem to guess it in this case. Ask the guy. Dang! I wish people would quit messing with the designations!

A couple of weeks ago, I saw an E500 with an AMG badge. I was tempted to ask the driver what he was trying to prove.

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    Even when someone ask me what I drive, I just say it's either an El Camino (if it's not in sight) or a little German sports car unless they also have an outstanding vehicle. It's called false modesty.

C'mon Tony. You're telling me if you met a hot babe at a bar and she's beginning to lose interest in you and she asks you what you drive, you're going to tell her you drive an El Camino? More like, "yeah baby, I drive a 2005 Porsche 997. Cost me about $90K. Yeah, it's my daily driver until my new Ferrari 430 I ordered comes in."

This message has been brought to you by the Keepin' It Real Club of America, Southern California Chapter.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Holminator said:
    Even when someone ask me what I drive, I just say it's either an El Camino (if it's not in sight) or a little German sports car unless they also have an outstanding vehicle. It's called false modesty.

C'mon Tony. You're telling me if you met a hot babe at a bar and she's beginning to lose interest in you and she asks you what you drive, you're going to tell her you drive an El Camino? More like, "yeah baby, I drive a 2005 Porsche 997. Cost me about $90K. Yeah, it's my daily driver until my new Ferrari 430 I ordered comes in."

This message has been brought to you by the Keepin' It Real Club of America, Southern California Chapter.

I think im going to open a Keepin' It Real Club of America, Dubai U.A.E chapter

Quote:
    MMD said:

Great post.

Quote:
    MMD said:

I'm holding up my right hand with my middle finger extended. What message do you see?

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Is that Jenna next to the yellow car?

I don't think she'll be caught dead in sweats!

Hi Jenna!

Quote:
    MMD said:

NOW Thats a POINT well made!

MMD,
    I guess I'm just not a part of the tribe/pack- a lone wolf.
    I absolutely love the car, period! Everything else is gravy, or icing on the cake( positive attention, bunnies , etc.).I'm ordering a Silver P, I don't care if everyone has one or if folks think it's boring- I happen to like it and think it looks best. I just believe some get too caught up in what others think or like and end up with a car with options/color(s) that aren't what they really wanted.

MMD,

Generally speaking I believe you are right- good post !

Thanks for the compliment, and totally agree with how you put that--well said! I think it is a matter of personal taste--not really important in the big scheme of things. Jenna couldn't make it. She'll have to explain to you.

PS Camera phone shot of yesterday's fun run on the eastern shore of Maryland. We made a stop to eat some blue crabs.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM