Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Debagging 997's A good Idea or insecurity?

I've seen a couple 997s here in the bay area without the badges and I was wondering why they do that?

To hide a Non-S, Non-turbo, or Non-Thing better to do?

I'm not sure if I like it but it does make the rear less cluttered. [Grill, badge , and Boobs!]

What do you guys think?

Re: Debagging 997's A good Idea or insecurity?

I totally agree with you. It looks like it's mising somthing without the badge. Although, its only true with porsches.

I don't like all the numbers on bmw or mercedes. they put too many badges. kompressor here, Amg there, sl 55 on the other side... it's ridiculous.

no badge on rear.
    the emblem on hood and wheels is enough
    you know what it is don't you ?
    besides, it's the only free option from porsche.

I like the Porsche logos. And I like keeping the car the way it is. Removing them, changing them it seems comes from people overthinking the whole thing. On a hot-rod it's different. It's a different look. On a modern sports car sometimes the more it looks from the factory the better it is especially over time.
    I saw a guy last weekend at the Ferrari rally I went to with a 996 Turbo cab with a "Carrera 4S" logo on the deck lid

Do you think anybody who knows anything about Porsche's some how misses the Turbo wing on the back and the rear fenders and mistake it for slower car ? To top it off the car was a tip.

Quote:
    peecarfan said:
    no badge on rear.
    the emblem on hood and wheels is enough
    you know what it is don't you ?
    besides, it's the only free option from porsche.

It's free but you don't get something. That's our Porsche!!
    Also Black dials for an S. Maybe some others free options, don't remember.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I saw a guy last weekend at the Ferrari rally I went to with a 996 Turbo cab with a "Carrera 4S" logo on the deck lid

Do you think anybody who knows anything about Porsche's some how misses the Turbo wing on the back and the rear fenders and mistake it for slower car ? To top it off the car was a tip.

I guess you're right... I would know it for sure even if it were a turbo kit on a non-s.

Quote:
    amazon23 said:
    I don't like all the numbers on bmw or mercedes. they put too many badges. kompressor here, Amg there, sl 55 on the other side... it's ridiculous.

Now that's insecurity!....

400hp Badge on Vette's

I don't like the carrera writings, IMO ist the 911 writing the most beautiful solution. Cause empty it really looks like something got lost. ;-)

I have option 498 (deletion of model designation) on my 997S. This way it is just much easier to keep the rear lid clean
    Everyone knows that this is a 911. Most people can't tell the difference between an S and a non-S. And those who can will also recognize the S without a badge. It's just a bit more difficult in my case, since I have the Sport Design wheels instead of the S wheels and I also deleted the aluminium dials in favor of option 022 (black dials) BTW, that is another no cost option.

@Ewi: simply beautiful. that is one of the most striking 997s ive seen. cobablt is such a wonderful colour!, if i get a cayman, it will surely be cobalt.

i don't know why people order to delete the badge, you can just file it off by yourself and keep it as a desk ornament

Thanks, Moogle I have two great side view shots of the cobalt 997S in my gallery, too Link to Gallery

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    i don't know why people order to delete the badge, you can just file it off by yourself and keep it as a desk ornament

At least I have the badge of my 993 that also has a clean rear lid lying around somewhere. So, if I ever change my mind I can put it back. For the 997S I would rather put that nice 911 logo on the lid like Avoe did. Would fit there much better than on the 996 rear lid.

I think it looks best the way it was meant to be designed by the manufacture's. I couldn't imagine removing factory Ferrari badging, logos so I feel the same way about Porsche & Merc.'s. Or any modern high-performance vehicle. Different models have different characteristics, and pieces including logos, badges that make those characteristics identifiable and in harmony with the total design of the car. Changing or removing them removes some of that original design cheapening the look of the car imo. But different strokes for different folks.

Face it: no badge means to most Porschephiles that you've got something to hide.

Most badges come off of non-S cars.

Porsche loooooves this predicament. They sell more Ss that way.

Just leave the car stock (leave designations ON!) and be done with it!

I always order cars without badges.

My view.. I know what I bought, so don't need it written on the back of my car. Here in the uk, people seem to love putting additional badges on cars (the number of M badged 318's near me is rediculous!). Usually, no badge means low end model.

I kind of like the cleaner look of having no badges on the car.

My S will be ordered without a badge. So maybe people will think it is a standard Carerra. But that doesn't cauase me any problems.

...Add

P.S. I don't like porsche crests in the seats or coloured wheel centres either. I just don't see the point in paying for additional brand promotion.

@ewi... A very good friend of mine ordered a 997S Coupe in Cobalt and Black... I think that's a killer color!

To badge or not to badge

I think I'll leave mine alone for now... maybe when the fix for the boobs come out I will have to revisit this one

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I think it looks best the way it was meant to be designed by the manufacture's. I couldn't imagine removing factory Ferrari badging, logos so I feel the same way about Porsche & Merc.'s. Or any modern high-performance vehicle. Different models have different characteristics, and pieces including logos, badges that make those characteristics identifiable and in harmony with the total design of the car. Changing or removing them removes some of that original design cheapening the look of the car imo. But different strokes for different folks.

Totally agree...I hate mucking around w/aftermktish-looking stuff...

Only recently struck me that many in US are adamant about putting clear-side mkrs on P's...but can't recall anyone considering this approach for F's.....

New F's are arguably top-dog from a branding perspective (just compare MSRP of 996TTS vs 430....P would charge $200K if they had F's brand power and buyer base), yet number of horsies and 430 designations plastered all over 430 makes it the caricature of a "trying too hard" kind-of-car....

while we are on the topic, what posesses most f car owners to put the garish fender sheids on as an option ?
    they were originally for limited edition ferrari racing vehicles, now they appear on almost every f-car I see.
    they detract from the lines of a beautiful car.

Quote:
    madadd said:

I kind of like the cleaner look of having no badges on the car.

I agree100% It's definitely nicer looking without them on the back. The fact that the model designations are "cheap plastic" adds to the beauty of not having them on.

But the Porsche Coat of Arms on the hood is very nice. I personally wouldn't dream of getting rid of it.

Quote:
    peecarfan said:
    while we are on the topic, what posesses most f car owners to put the garish fender sheids on as an option ?

I think Ferrari is a different story (a different league even). I figure they and Lambo can do anything they want and still be strikingly outrageous.

I've debadge my S and non S cars. Why? Cleaner look. Easier to wax. Less ostentatious (no-bling, bling factor). Even when someone ask me what I drive, I just say it's either an El Camino (if it's not in sight) or a little German sports car unless they also have an outstanding vehicle. It's called false modesty. I figure I already know what the car's name is so why advertise??? I'm not looking for attention; I'm looking for a hard driving machine! Debadge your car today ["those aren't the droids you're looking for"].

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    I hate mucking around w/aftermktish-looking stuff...

Only recently struck me that many in US are adamant about putting clear-side mkrs on P's...

Clear side mkrs are standard in Europe..so.. US P with orange side mkrs are not 'the way P has deseigned the car'....
    The two back bumpers on US cars are 'not the way P has deseigned the car' They are 'added' because of law requirements... So not standard!!!!
    I have ordered my car with NO logo for the same reasons as mentioned by others who prefer without logo ( Carrera 4 S written with plastic in big silver letters on a P's a$$ is not apealing to me.. , maybe if it was in black, small letters and NO 4S, it would be better !)

I'll leave mine as is- the P design experts know best,IMO.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

So why go for the full leather interior as standard the P designers made it plastic..... Why change the grey dials for the black ones... P design experts know best !
    Why take the classic rims and not stay with the standart S wheels if P design experts choose that one ?
    Delete of the bagging is an official listed option like any other P option.....
    The argument : P designers have put it there so IT MUST STAY there doesn't make any sense...(it makes me think about all the arguments that were debated in the thread about break in procedures....) The baddging is just an element of taste ... different persons, different taste. Not one is right and the other is wrong. ..it' s just en element of (good or bad ) taste !

Quote:
    peecarfan said:
    they were originally for limited edition ferrari racing vehicles, now they appear on almost every f-car I see.
    they detract from the lines of a beautiful car.

Disagree. They look great as standard on the Enzo, look awesome on my Challenge Stradale as standard. When I see a 360 or 430 now wwithout them the car looks strange to me, like someone forgot them after a repair. When I look at the front fender along with seeing big CCM's it gives the car a very special race car look. Hard to describe what I see and why I like the shields. It's all matter of different tastes .

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    I've debadge my S and non S cars. Why? Cleaner look. Easier to wax. Less ostentatious (no-bling, bling factor). Even when someone ask me what I drive, I just say it's either an El Camino (if it's not in sight) or a little German sports car unless they also have an outstanding vehicle. It's called false modesty. I figure I already know what the car's name is so why advertise??? I'm not looking for attention; I'm looking for a hard driving machine! Debadge your car today ["those aren't the droids you're looking for"].

Couldn't give a crap about what other people think of what I drive. Attention, no attention also couldn't give a damn. That's what I meant above. I think many people who fool around with the cars badging are overthinking it. They say they are doing it to down play the car. Doing it because it has something to do with other peoples perceptions. "Less ostentatious" - F um. Who cares what other people think ? "Why advertise" ? Who's advertising ? Who cares ? Overthinking it.

"Someone asks me what I drive" - I tell them. Why lie. Not everyone thinks badly of people for driving a nice car. Most of the times (I like to think) it's because they're also a car person. If they're the other type and would think I'm stuck up if I answer honestly then again - F- um. Don't ask me if it makes you upset.

Bottom line if they're asking because they like cars - cool. If they're the other type to hell with them anyway.

Quote:
    gnil said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

So why go for the full leather interior as standard the P designers made it plastic..... Why change the grey dials for the black ones... P design experts know best !
    Why take the classic rims and not stay with the standart S wheels if P design experts choose that one ?
    The argument : P designers have put it there so IT MUST STAY there doesn't make any sense...(it makes me think about all the arguments that were debated in the thread about break in procedures....) The baddging is just an element of taste ... different persons, different taste. Not one is right and the other is wrong. ..it' s just en element of (good or bad ) taste !

I'm a fan of leaving the car the way it is with the badging but VERY WELL SAID

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

Quote:
    gnil said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

gnil,

No big deal! It doesn't cost P anything to leave it off. Of course they're not going to make full leather standard or classics, etc. standard if they can make BIG money off it as an option. Debadging looks OK to me, but I ( and probably the vast majority of others, designers included) prefer it as is. You're right- it really does come down to personal taste. Go for it!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Holminator said:

Couldn't give a crap about what other people think of what I drive. Attention, no attention also couldn't give a damn. That's what I meant above. I think many people who fool around with the cars badging are overthinking it. They say they are doing it to down play the car. Doing it because it has something to do with other peoples perceptions. "Less ostentatious" - F um. Who cares what other people think ? "Why advertise" ? Who's advertising ? Who cares ? Overthinking it.

"Someone asks me what I drive" - I tell them. Why lie. Not everyone thinks badly of people for driving a nice car. Most of the times (I like to think) it's because they're also a car person. If they're the other type and would think I'm stuck up if I answer honestly then again - F- um. Don't ask me if it makes you upset.

Bottom line if they're asking because they like cars - cool. If they're the other type to hell with them anyway.

Agree.

O.T.: IMO, if you order your baby with the options/color(s) YOU love/prefer you'll be much, much happier...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689042 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408934 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255631 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234887 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65469 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857767 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773742 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM