Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: SL55amg vs 997s?

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    ... I'd do what Mike S has done: Get the SL65AMG.

hey i only got the 65 cos i have the porsche for some manual driving plus i saw way too many other 55's

Quote:
    cartouche said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Let's just say that when I pull up to a stoplight alongside an SL55, I just act like I'm busy playing with my radio or sport chrono or something. I wouldn't stand a chance of out accelerating this car.

I'll just wait for the 997 turbo.

So simple : start before the light turns green.
    No mercy for faster cars.
    It's the driver, not the car, who kills !

Cartouche, you disappoint me!!! Jumping before the light is green is a display of pure cowardice. If you know you're slower, you're just going to have to take your beating like a man. Nothing is proved by cheating. Leaving on red is no different than a sucker-punch in the pre-fight huddle, or a shooting a man in the back while pacing a duel.

Leaving on red or using the old "roll-by" is a common technique favored by all the punk Honda kids around here. I suck them in and spit them out anyhow, they can have their cheap head-start!!!

I don't think I have ever raced from a stoplight in the city or ever being challenged to do so, not a very popular thing overhere.

On the open road or highway however, thats a complete other story here, but never in at a stoplight. So "faster" means a whole different thing over here ... for example I have raced on the winding highway a 380HP-BMW850CSi with my ex 286HP-M3, or raced a 400HP-M5 with my 300HP-996... guess who was "faster"? ... yet I would have been killed at a stoplight straigh-line drag race

And now with the 997S-20mm, there ain't no AMG model even made thats nearly as "fast" however AMG's are built for a diffrent purpose in mind, thats why.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    cartouche said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Let's just say that when I pull up to a stoplight alongside an SL55, I just act like I'm busy playing with my radio or sport chrono or something. I wouldn't stand a chance of out accelerating this car.

Cartouche, you disappoint me!!! Jumping before the light is green is a display of pure cowardice. If you know you're slower, you're just going to have to take your beating like a man. Nothing is proved by cheating. Leaving on red is no different than a sucker-punch in the pre-fight huddle, or a shooting a man in the back while pacing a duel.

Leaving on red or using the old "roll-by" is a common technique favored by all the punk Honda kids around here. I suck them in and spit them out anyhow, they can have their cheap head-start!!!

You guys crack me up. LOL.

Stoplight racing is an American phenomenon, and rarely is it done safely. But every once in awhile, you'll be on a 4-laner at the last light leaving town, with nobody ahead, and you can have some fun without too much danger. It used to be easier to find opportunities when I was young, but the roads are so much more congested today, it's rarely a safe or smart thing to do. Most of the time, though, when challenged, I can show the challenger the futility of their efforts, with my taillights, before I hit the posted speed limit. Then I tap the brake and let 'em fly by in a ridiculous spectacle of wasted fuel.

Yes, I guess it had to do simply with the way cities are differently laid out in the new continent vs the old one.

In US, there are many 90* intersections of straight roads with various wide lanes and straight highways with left lane hogging, making the situation much more appropriate for stoplight racing, while here its completely the opposite with one or two lane of randomly intertwined city streets with more densely packed construction and pedestrians, making it more appropriate for more frecuent winding open roads and higher-speed highway racing.

dont bother!! in a 997 just look like you dropped your phone or something.. my brother has one i just sold a 996 turbo for a 997 s cab even in my turbo i was only pulling away over 150 as he was limited extremely fast on straight!!!

My view is that you simply shouldn't compare raw statistics of the SL55 AMG and the 997S.

Both cars FEEL totally different.

The SL55 has enormous power but the handling is SO different from a 997S. Imagine a 2 seater S Class. After all, I understand that the chassis of the SL is the same as that of the S Class.

The SL55 engine and exhaust sound sporty and it has the power and torque no doubt but NO WAY does it have the handling of a sportscar.

Take an SL55 on a fast drive and you will realise this the first time you take a turn or a roundabout quickly.

So, with maximum respect to you all, comparing the SL55 with a 997S involves comparing 2 totally different cars which have totally different strengths.

IMHO People fall into the trap of comparing them because they are choosing between them when deciding upon their next purchase.

No disrespect intended to anyone....

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    My view is that you simply shouldn't compare raw statistics of the SL55 AMG and the 997S.

Both cars FEEL totally different.

The SL55 has enormous power but the handling is SO different from a 997S. Imagine a 2 seater S Class. After all, I understand that the chassis of the SL is the same as that of the S Class.

The SL55 engine and exhaust sound sporty and it has the power and torque no doubt but NO WAY does it have the handling of a sportscar.

Take an SL55 on a fast drive and you will realise this the first time you take a turn or a roundabout quickly.

So, with maximum respect to you all, comparing the SL55 with a 997S involves comparing 2 totally different cars which have totally different strengths.

IMHO People fall into the trap of comparing them because they are choosing between them when deciding upon their next purchase.

No disrespect intended to anyone....

Absolutely.... the 2 cars are worlds apart IMO...
    Mike S probably has the most experience with these 2 cars so he might elaborate further but as far as im concerned, comparing these 2 is not right...

BTW.............. give me a Carrera S over ANY AMG anyday.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    cartouche said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

Cartouche, you disappoint me!!!

Well boss, now I know what sort of a punk Honda kid driving a Porsche I am

Quote:
    cartouche said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    cartouche said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

Cartouche, you disappoint me!!!

Well boss, now I know what sort of a punk Honda kid driving a Porsche I am

tisk tisk.... Better to die fighting than to win cheating IMO..
    If i stop next to a car thats faster than mine, i'll give it a go... If he wins, then give credit where its due. But never cheat your way out to a fake victory..

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    If i stop next to a car thats faster than mine, i'll give it a go... If he wins, then give credit where its due. But never cheat your way out to a fake victory..

Better to fake than to die at a green light, by Toutatis !
    (SDP)

Quote:
    cartouche said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:

Better to fake than to die at a green light, by Toutatis !
    (SDP)

Toutatis ??? what does that mean...
    + theres nothing wrong with not accepting a challenge, the thing is how you win/lose+how you act when it happens..
    thats just my opinion Cartouche, nothing against you

Toutatis : other name of TEUTATES, that you know very well, I'm sure. If not, go to see there : http://www.pantheon.org/articles/t/teutates.html

SDP : "second degree post", you know what means second degree humor, or shifted humor ?
    If not, go there : http://www.sauvezbuddy.com/

In a way, when I have somebody cheap-shot me by cutting out early on a red-light, or doing a "fly-by" where they don't have the guts to start at same-speed from a roll, I feel that I've won already, by default, before any "race" had to even take place. The fact that they felt they needed to gain an unfair advantage just proves that they were scared, frightened, they knew they had no chance. So at that point, there's little purpose in even pursuing the race. Let the frightened little mouse scurry ahead to his hole.

Even better is to blow him away after he cheats to show him who's boss.

69bossnine : your attitude is SO NOBLE !
    I'm totally bluffed out !
    I think I'll slow down my tuned Honda to let you majestically overtake !
    Thanks for this great lesson !

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Absolutely.... the 2 cars are worlds apart IMO...
    Mike S probably has the most experience with these 2 cars so he might elaborate further but as far as im concerned, comparing these 2 is not right...

BTW.............. give me a Carrera S over ANY AMG anyday.

it's a toughie, i love both just as much as the other! if i'm lazy and i just wanna cruise, the SL is the only option! very comfortable, super EASY to drive and very fast if you want it to be

if i feel like seriously driving, then i take out the porsche!!! it really gives a feeling like no other! it's not the fastest of cars, but it sure puts a smile on my face!

Quote:
    cartouche said:
    69bossnine : your attitude is SO NOBLE !
    I'm totally bluffed out !
    I think I'll slow down my tuned Honda to let you majestically overtake !
    Thanks for this great lesson !

I agree...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    In a way, when I have somebody cheap-shot me by cutting out early on a red-light, or doing a "fly-by" where they don't have the guts to start at same-speed from a roll, I feel that I've won already, by default, before any "race" had to even take place. The fact that they felt they needed to gain an unfair advantage just proves that they were scared, frightened, they knew they had no chance. So at that point, there's little purpose in even pursuing the race. Let the frightened little mouse scurry ahead to his hole.

My point exactly.

SL55 does not blow the 997S off the line, been there done that. If anything the 997S is quicker. On the freeway at speeds over a 100 yes the 480 h.p. supercharged should be respected. Still the normal aspirated 6 cylinder does very well against almost anything and will blow the doors off of any MB on the twisties. SL55 is like a living room on wheels

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM