Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Here it is! Cayenne Turbo vs X5 4.8iS vs Touareg V10 TDi....

MIKE S : Review

Hi guys, this is the long awaited review between three great SUV's! I'm sure they have been tested against each other countless of times by professionals(take note I am not one myself), the problem is they just test the cars to their physical limit - I am however, going to give you my driving experiences and opinions with the car on a being used for an everyday basis.

Powerplants

Ok, let's start off with the different types of engines. I'm just going to state the basic numbers these engines put out, for those who are not familiar with them(although I'm sure many of you already are).

Above we have the engine which you get in the Cayenne Turbo.
    Details:
    engine V8
    aspiration Bitubo
    displacement 4511 cc
    power 331 kw @ 6000rpm
    torque 620 nm @ 2250-4750rpm

Above we have the engine which you get in the X5 4.8iS.
    Details:
    engine V8
    aspiration Normally aspirated
    displacement 4799 cc
    power 265 kw @ 6200rpm
    torque 500 nm @ 3600rpm

Last but not least, the engine which is found in the Touareg V10.
    Details:
    engine V10
    aspiration Biturbo
    displacement 4921 cc
    power 230 kw @ 3750rpm
    torque 750 nm @ 2000rpm

Perfomance Impressions

I must say all three cars are really wonderful in their own way. We have the Cayenne which totally blows ones mind away, it takes away the misconception that all off-road cars are slow and handle like ox-wagens, instead it shows us that something so big and heavy can move really quick! Then we have the X5 which shows you that you don't need turbo's to move fast either, it takes a bit to get the momentum going but, once you're over the "hill" you'll be on the brakes more than on the accelerator! The Touareg I suppose would be the odd one out, when someone says the words diesel powered, the first thoughts to come to mind are Massey Fergusson. It could not be further from the truth, let me tell you that this car performs AWESOME, for a diesel! It really takes away ones perception that diesels will never be able to perform like a petrol engine can.

Who wins on a straight line? Obviously the Cayenne hands down. Not far behind would be the Touareg and lastly the poor ol' X5.

Brakes

When one is moving so quick, the brakes are just as important if not more than the accelerator. I thought it would be interesting to compare the brakes of each vehicle.

I personally haven't tested these brakes so hard that I've noticed any brake fade. Braking in general the Cayenne's is quite good, but as RC stated they are a bit small for such a big car that can accomplish such feats of speed, but not real complaints about it. The X5's is by far the most sensitive and it brakes really HARD! Takes quite a while to get used to, it's too sensitive in my opinion, maybe my car is a dud! The Touareg's brakes are a bit sluggy, I'd say it is the worst out of the three, but when you're comparing to cars such as the Cayenne and X5 - being the worst is still better than most cars, even sedans! If you also take a close look, the Cayenne is the only one with it's brakes situated closer to the front of the car.

Interesting Comparison : Cayenne vs Touareg

Seeing that the Cayenne and the Touareg share the same platform etc. and everyone says they're so similar. I'd like to take this opportunity to clarify that. I have only had the Cayenne for a little while, but from the second I climbed into the car, I could immediately feel the difference. The Touareg handles great but, it's not a Porsche! The Cayenne is so steady on the roads where as the Touareg is a bit bouncy. Here is a picture to illustrate the reason. The two cars are side by side and you can clearly see the wider width the Cayenne has!

Sorry to go off topic, but I can't just leave the X5 alone when I've spoken about the other two's handling! The X5's handling is good, but it is a lot worse than what I thought it would be, so such stiff suspension, it handles quite horridly actually, it understeers very badly, maybe because it has such wide tires at the rear(the widest by far out of the three).

Going back to compary the Touareg and Cayenne, below are some more picture to illustrate the similarities they share. The doors are exactly the same, the aluminium door sills are also the same. As a matter of fact when I collected the car, I already knew half the features about the car, because the Touareg shares the exact same.

By the way, in the picture below, on the left is the Touareg and on the right is the Cayenne, see how similar it is?

Pictured below: See the shape of the door how they are exactly the same? Once again, on the left is the Touareg and the right the Cayenne.

Panoramic Sunroofs

I know this is quite a pointless point out, but maybe there are others like me who like nice and big sunroofs! The Cayenne has the new option - panoramic sunroof(the first one with it in the country!), the X5 also has a panoramic roof. I'd just like to compare the 2. The Touareg unfortunately does not have such an option. What is nice about the Cayenne's sunroof is that it is BIG, MUCH bigger than the X5's. It also opens MUCH bigger, the picture shows how much more the Cayenne's open when fully opened compared to the X5(both are fully opened).

!!!Conclusion!!!

Every one of these cars has it's own fortés. The X5 is the nicest sounding out of the three! But it unfortunately lacks in most of the departments, handling, performance, the only thing I was impressed by was it's brakes really. The Touareg and the Cayenne as you can now see are very similar to each other, but do I regret getting both? Absolutely not! The Touareg is just so impressive that it can do what it can do , having a diesel motor and all! It really is the best bang for the buck(so to speak) SUV I have purchased so far! The Cayenne, well... what can I say? It's a Porsche! It really does feel better than all the others, and by far too! It's bigger than the X5, faster than the Touareg, more comfortable than any other car I've driven! It is a bit pricey, but well worth it!

Well enough of my blabbering, good gosh I've typed a lot, took me for ever, here is the last pic of the three together(sorry for the blurry picture, not tripod and tried to take in night mode). Hope this review was informative and will helpful! Farewell!

Re: Here it is! Cayenne Turbo vs X5 4.8iS vs Touareg V10 TDi....

Nice review and a great write up Mike .

Thanks for that great review Mike!

next one is hummer H2? black with this alloy?

or a big foot!?

Re: Here it is! Cayenne Turbo vs X5 4.8iS vs Touareg V10 TDi

am i the only one who can't see all the pictures?

but great review none-the-less

Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    am i the only one who can't see all the pictures?

Your not the only one...I can't see most of them either

thanks everybody!

lol bazza! no thanks

jp66, syd284 - they seem to load just fine with me even though i cleared my cache etc. they still load?!

I only see the pictures of the wheels and a blury shot of all three at the bottom. Are there meant to be images above the discriptions (blue text) of each vehicle?

By the way, awesome cars Mike! But why didn't you opt for the Powerkit for your Cayenne? Seems worth it just for the upgraded brakes.

hmm that is very odd, it seems to load 100% fine for me.

i got a quote for the powerkit, it's going to set me back around $30,000 which is a bit much for me, plus i'm happy with the power it puts out now

ron, GM austin, carlos, any mod? can you maybe change the file extension for the images from .jpg to .JPG and see if that works? thanks

Images should appear now

Fantastic job Mike, comparing the three models, great review!
    thanks for sharing

Indeed, great write up! Thanks a lot!
    I like the panoramic sunroof of the Cayenne, that's gotta feel very airy!

thanks again, was my pleasure!

and thanks for fixing the pics up for me carlos

Nicely written, so I've always been right thinking that cayenne is the best SUV out there.
    I know the Touareg shares the same plaform, but they simply are not the same car, No wonder cars move out of the way when they see me coming via their rear view mirror.

Thanks Mike.

Mike, these are exactly the same impressions, i had by testing the Cayenne versus X5, Jeep, Range Rover and ML 55 AMG.

But don't compare the 4.8 iS with the CT. I drove the Cayenne S with air suspension and 19-inch wheels. The X5 only wons the sound competition, but the Porsche was the better car.

All other competitors are too soft for me. I love the direct handling of the Cayenne. Fuel consumption is similiar by all cars.

Thx for your report. It confirms my feelings.

Have you tried the Cayenne Turbo 500 HP-Version? It can all better than the normal CT. Try it!

Quote:
    KF said:
    Thx for your report. It confirms my feelings.

Have you tried the Cayenne Turbo 500 HP-Version? It can all better than the normal CT. Try it!

you're welcome i wish i could try out the Powerkit version cayenne, but obviously they won't have demo's available here in SA

I have the X5 4.4 with sports chassis. My brother has the Cayenne Turbo.... and my preference goes to..... the X5 ! Maybe because it' s a bit smaller and around town the Peper is a pain in the a.. to park, not mentioning when going down small streets.
    I admit the X5 being a ride a bit too rough because of the hard suspension and fat flat tires. The CT is much more powerfull for sure and feels more luxurious...
    Just my 2R

i had the x5 4.4 as well, but the normal suspension, lovely car, i must admit a lot more comfortable than the 4.8, i'd rather have my 4.4 back then the 4.8 to be honest.

yep, i see the pics now! great review again

Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    yep, i see the pics now! great review again

great stuff!

i see this post has been view 1144 times already and i posted it yesterday!!

In Mike S 'we trust.' Wow... a GREAT homemade review that is outstanding. Question, did they deliver the SUV's to you? I know you have 3 cars (or more).. I know you have the noble (which us Americans will never get), the Porsche, and the SL65.... Here in the U.S. it is hard to get a dealer to deliver a car to you to test drive. And if you want to test drive a car over night/weekend they usually have to do a credit check and/or you must leave your car at the dealer. (which is my plan this weekend while I test drive my potential Ferrari that I plan to purchase next week).

lol killer , i own all 3 of those cars as well lol

regarding the noble, there is 1 dealer in the states in hamilton ohio

yea mike i went to the noble dealer! this car feels really raw!

saw a tvr sagaris too, but damn ! that car look ugly in blue

speed boat look alike interior !

what did you think of it other than it being raw bazza ?

a lot faster than your c4s hey?

i like the TVR sagaris, it looks so different and aggressive!

you know what ! i can't test drive that car? cause i am not tall enough to reach the clutch hahahaha! na is just the seat problem , cant move further forward! plus that saleman driven it too slow!! too many traffic in uk too! damn!!!!

hey! i didnt know that car don have abs and trackion control?

here is one of the video
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=390D2DQY

here is another video

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=41RCDON7

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689621 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409265 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255766 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235004 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65527 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858022 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774074 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM