Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Windscreen cracked by stone

Whilst on hols in France last week my windscreen was hit by a stone and a huge crack has appeared. I'm getting it fixed by Autoglass on Saturday, but wondered if there is anything I need to look out for and tell them about - I'm worried about the aerial for example.

By the way, I felt like a film star driving the 997 in France - people were taking photos, crowding around it when parked, waving etc etc. Quite amazing - I'm used to London where every 5th car is a Porsche (slight exaggeration but almost).

Re: Windscreen cracked by stone

I was worried, too (see my thread on my cracked windshield). Eveything worked out just fine. There's no way to get the window out without disconnecting the antennas. I have some pix I can post later.

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    I was worried, too (see my thread on my cracked windshield). Eveything worked out just fine. There's no way to get the window out without disconnecting the antennas. I have some pix I can post later.

Thanks for the reply - I've been on holiday so didn't notice your thread - I'll have a look.

Did you consider taking it to Porsche service?
    I guess there's "nothing special" about the 997 windshield as far as decent outfits like Autoglass are concerned?

IOW, Autoglass will do as good a job as the factory? whereas Porsche service guys might not have enough experience?

There's actually antenna's embedded in the glass.

Pix as promised.

My dealer used to do it, but then started to outsource and now just recommend contacting their outsourcer directly. I don't know what the dealer will do in the London, but that's where I would start if I lived there.

This guy (owner of DG Glass) came out to my home. He did a 1st rate job! Treated my baby with respect and care. Used the best glue and parts from Porsche (have to because of the 4 antennas in your glass) that were ordered by my dealer. The antenna connections lead to the A-pillars on each side of the car.

Couple hours work. I just stood around and chatted with him while I drank my morning coffee.

Covered by insurance of course.

Hope this helped.

WOW. Nice to get it done. But I would rather not watch as he uses a powerful jigsaw milimeters from the delicate surfaces of paint and leather etc. WOW!

Also, you just inadvertantly taught would-be theives how to steal all our windshields. Nice work Holminator!

I'm really getting sick at looking at those gorgeous Carrera Classics... I need to get me one of those!

Nice Car Holmss!!

Many thanks for all the pics - really useful. The fitting company were going to come to my house to fit it, but phoned me yesterday and asked if I could bring it in saying that they would not feel comfortable doing such a nice car on the street outside my house. They have asked me to allow four hours, and seem to know what they're talking about as they've checked to see if I have sat nav etc.

Quote:
    Holminator said:

Hi Tony,

I just had my windscreen replaced three weeks ago and last week, I noticed that the navigation was not working anymore, i.e. no satellite reception. Should the nav antenna also be disconnected when replacing the windscreen ?

Cheers,

I'm not sure Nico. I mean I don't know because I don't know where the Navi antenna is. I bet Trundle or somebody like that knows.

i wouldn't get it done by autoglass...

i had them replace the windscreen on my old beemer, they were totally unprofessional. i took it to one of their shops where

1. i had to wait for ages
    2. they had difficulty getting the windscreen out?? (BMW 3-series? they must have seen thousands??)
    3. they left lots of small glass splinters everywhere (and when i complained they hoovered for 2 seconds and then GAVE ME THE HOOVER!!??)
    4. they left scratches on the dashboard (e.g. the plastic VIN plate was scratched

now, i would always get it done by the dealer... no extra cost as the insurer pays, and you also get the car washed,

Quote:
    Monkey said:
    i wouldn't get it done by autoglass...

i had them replace the windscreen on my old beemer, they were totally unprofessional. i took it to one of their shops where

1. i had to wait for ages
    2. they had difficulty getting the windscreen out?? (BMW 3-series? they must have seen thousands??)
    3. they left lots of small glass splinters everywhere (and when i complained they hoovered for 2 seconds and then GAVE ME THE HOOVER!!??)
    4. they left scratches on the dashboard (e.g. the plastic VIN plate was scratched

now, i would always get it done by the dealer... no extra cost as the insurer pays, and you also get the car washed,

You are kidding me. How can these guys be so bad at it - that's all they do!!! It's all very well taking it to the dealer, but my experience of them is not fantastic. For a start, I would have to wait for weeks to get an appointment, and that crack is just getting bigger and bigger...

Now I'm worried...

i don't mean to scare you and my experience may be unrepresentative, but i was in a similar position and i wanted to get the replacement done asap.

how big is the crack and how much do you drive?

call a couple of dealers and see who has the earliest possible date.

in my experience you have a lot lot longer than you think, so don't worry.

Holminator, why am I not seeing any (red or yellow) brake calipers on your car? Just curious.

'Cause Porsche never published the stats on whether or not they are worth the added expense. How much more does PCCB stop you than regular brakes in wet and dry? Anybody? Bueller, Bueller, anybody, Bueller?

I like your style Holm its a good way of saying dont scratch my baby because a fitting company is only as good as its fitters..

throt..

I had the new windscreen fitted yesterday by Autoglass and have to say they did a fantastic job. It only took about 2 hours and there was not a scratch on the dashboard - they even stuck my tax disc and parking permit back where they were on the original windscreen. Very happy!

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    I had the new windscreen fitted yesterday by Autoglass and have to say they did a fantastic job. It only took about 2 hours and there was not a scratch on the dashboard - they even stuck my tax disc and parking permit back where they were on the original windscreen. Very happy!

Thats good to know Ed J .

Also when I get good results I always take a note of the repairers name for future reference and that the same for any trade .

Some fitters are great but some are not due to lack of interest or experience ..

throt..

Replaced windshield=Navigation antenna disconnect

Quote:
    Nico997 said:
    Quote:
    Holminator said:

Hi Tony,

I just had my windscreen replaced three weeks ago and last week, I noticed that the navigation was not working anymore, i.e. no satellite reception. Should the nav antenna also be disconnected when replacing the windscreen ?

Cheers,

Nick, I understand this is an old post, but I have the identical problem! How did your installer fix the problem? New windshield? I have no satellite reception after the windshield replacement as well.

Much appreciate your feedback.

Black Calipers on Base Model

Black on the base model, red on the 'S'.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752906 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430587 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258532 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255430 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5254 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868194 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801730 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM