Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Germany to South France

Just a little report, more pictures to follow as soon as I find a decent 3G internet line.

I left my hometown in Germany at 7 am in the morning and arrived at Nizza airport at 3 pm. Eight hours for 850 km (around 90% are Autobahn/Highways), incl. my food/drink/relaxing brakes of around one hour. Not bad, my wife and the kids arrived at Nizza airport at 4:15 pm and my wife was speechless. I took the kids to the hotel, she drove with the luggage in a Taxi (I hope this answers now some of the "how do you do it with wife and two kids in a 911..." questions. For short range commuting, the 911 is great over here and I get a lot of attention from the people over here, people who are used all day long to Porsches, Ferraris and other fine cars. The PSE also seems to draw a lot of sympathy, in Germany I got a lot of "middle fingers", here in South France I get a lot of "thumbs up". What a difference in mentality.

So far, the 997 has been perfect, no problems at all.
    But this time, I had a different kind of problem: italian drivers. It has been a long time since I've been in a 911 to Italy and what happened to me all the way along starting with Milano up to the french border near Nizza was pure horror. Maybe our friends Dario and Sergio could give me an explenation for what is going on but apparently every italian driver, starting from a Fiat Uno to a Mercedes S class had to feel provoked and show me what they've got. An Audi RS6 driver in Milano kept at 120 kph maybe 20 cm(!) safety distance, it was impossible for me to go faster with half a dozend of cars in front of me. I put the hazard lights on, I even played with the stop lights, I made signs, nothing, this guy didn't understand. Then, I had to brake suddenly because of the car in front of me and because I learned to keep a safe distance, I applied the brake pretty early and this guy behind me almost hit me. Since then, he started to show me the middle finger and other funny stuff, following me all the way in a pretty aggressive manner. I know how to handle this type of driver, I was awaiting the exit towards Genova and when it came I made from the left lane a 90 degree turn at around 120 kph with full acceleration using a gap between the two cars on the right lane. This dumb guy behind me tried the same and almost hit the second car in the gap I used and of course he didn't make it. But I NEVER encountered so much stupidity in my life, this guy was so p.ss.d and without a reason. Afterwards again, most cars started to "chase" me, I asked myself if this was some sort of special day in Italy when all crazy people are allowed to drive once in a lifetime. I also met an italian GT3 MkII, no chance to keep up with him at speeds over 180 kph on the straight line but in every curve I was back, the 997 CS was clearly superior or the drive of the GT3 was afraid of driving faster, something I can clearly understand in a car without PSM. Another problem in Italy: almost impossible to get 98 octane fuel. The only Shell station shortly before France (around 100 km) had no fuel anymore (incredible and there wasn't a lot of traffic on this day) and I had 4 litres (YES, FOUR!) when I finally was able to get fuel in FRANCE, shortly after the italian border. I didn't want to use 95 octane fuel and I was so upset, I said to myself "no way, I don't give up on 98 octane fuel".

In France, people were driving more "normal", I started to relax. Arriving at my hotel, I had a problem with the ride height because of the parking. Finally, hotel security gave in and they allowed my car to be the only one parked inside the huge hotel complex. A more secure place isn't possible.

I'll post some more pictures and more details over the next few days. I also have to say that I'm again and again surprised how much people seem to be attracted by the 911.

Regarding police along my route: I passed a german police control and the guy stopping the cars was just starring at me, probably forgetting about stopping me.
    Swiss police stopped me after San Bernardino because apparently I had passed a civil police car in a 100 degree curve on a mountain road decending to Lugano at over 160 kph. A british(!) motorcycle driver confirmed it, he wanted to pass that civil police car too and I was "going off like a rocket". I told the police that this isn't possible and how could I be faster than a motorcycle, we argued in a very very friendly way and I got off with a verbal warning. BTW: I was doing 170.
    In Italy, there have been two laser gun traps, lucky me, I saw them in time (thanks to the italian police for putting their cars THAT visible on the right side. Funny: they stopped the car behind me and the second time the one in front of me (who passed me at full speed when I changed to the right lane and slowed down ).
    In France, I had only one cop on a motorcycle knocking on my window telling me to slow a little bit down because of dumb tourists (no kidding ).

Please don't get me wrong: I'm not an aggressive driver and I also don't make speeding my daily habit. It really depends on the situation, traffic, etc. And of course I was alone in the car, no wife and kids.

The 997 CS is just an incredible car.
    More to come...stay tuned.

Re: Germany to South France

Fuel...I didn't know if I'm going to make it to the first french fuel station. 4 litres left...

But...the hotel room view is great.

Thanks for the update. It may be better to just let those Italian's go ahead.

Quote:
    SrfCity said:

Easy to say: you have only two choices, to drive slowly below 130 or to be substantially faster. And if somebody follows your tail in a tunnel at 110 kph THAT near your rear bumper that you can't even read his license plate, you HAVE to drive faster to get rid of this dangerous situation. Like I said before: I drove many many times through Italy and never had such a crazy day. Incredible.

Quote:
    RC said:But I NEVER encountered so much stupidity in my life

RC,

You probably have never driven in Rochester, New York.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    RC said:But I NEVER encountered so much stupidity in my life

RC,

You probably have never driven in Rochester, New York.

Or A california freeway!...

Drive on!

Wheres the hotel you stayed in? and whats its name ...the view is beautiful

Quote:
    RC said:
    But this time, I had a different kind of problem: italian drivers. It has been a long time since I've been in a 911 to Italy and what happened to me all the way along starting with Milano up to the french border near Nizza was pure horror. Maybe our friends Dario and Sergio could give me an explenation for what is going on but apparently every italian driver, starting from a Fiat Uno to a Mercedes S class had to feel provoked and show me what they've got.

That was so funny... thats exactly how it is here! I though it was like that everywere
    but maybe its only a spanish/italian/greek thing

well, thats normal daily driving in a 911 I've had even a freaking taxi driver stuck to my butt and allmost run off the road trying to follow my speed into the curve, in a Skoda
    ... have you ever seen in the rearview mirror a Merc C class, yes a Merc C class, understeer and cross over three lanes of highway as his car's nose plowed straight coming out the curve when he was trying stick to my rear to see what I got, after that the guy looked preety scared becuase he slowed down ridiculously and fell back
    And I can't even count the number of hot-hatchbacks that go nuts, those are the worst...

Anyway, looks like all went well and you are enjoying your vacation

Thanks for sharing

I am so jealous.

(being a car guy and living in NYC is becoming too difficult...)

Beautiful place , I'm sure you had a blast.

The view of the hotel is incredible!!!...What city is this ?

great update hotel looks perfect!

Looks great RC. Thanks for the photos. I love the view from your hotel!

Nice report RC, more pics please

Christian..

In which day you was in Italy??

If is a work day..on the Highway you can drive fast and without "porblems",people that drive usually on the highway are "normal"

But if you go on the highway when there is a lot of traffic and specially Saturday and Sunday when on the road there are the "week end drivers" you can meet people like the ones you meet..

But all this kind of "racing people" in one day is a good performance
    Usually one is just a good result..

I can assure you one thing..
    When i had the Audi RS4 a lot of guy try to race me..but with the 996 Turbo noone try nothing..maybe the rear wing make some fear..
    Now with the Cayenne the same..when you arrive from rear with lights on,all(and i said all) put on the direction lights and go to right....maybe a big truck make fear like a big wing on a sports car...

But seriously there are a lot of people that stay at 20 cm back from your bumper also if in front of you there are other 10.000 other cars...stupid people..and there are other people that with the road open in front of him don't use first and second lane and stay in the third going slow and talking with dogs and kids...

But i think all world is the same..last year going to the Nurburgring on the Autobahn in Germany i meet a guy with a Opel Astra,that stay in third lane and make the same that an italian driver....also the mid finger,when i find the way to pass him..

So...don't worry..be happy

Ciaoo

Thanks for the report RC, Flying the family to your destination is a great idea and one we will do in summer. Photos look great!!

Hope the incident with the RS6 driver didn't spoil your day too much. I haven't encountered any problems like that here and anywhere else I've driven has been in a rental car. I'm wondering if you guys are exaggerating with the 20cm following distance, or is it say one car length which would still be way too close!!

Quote:
    RC said: italian drivers. It has been a long time since I've been in a 911 to Italy and what happened to me all the way along starting with Milano up to the french border near Nizza was pure horror. Maybe our friends Dario and Sergio could give me an explenation for what is going on but apparently every italian driver, starting from a Fiat Uno to a Mercedes S class had to feel provoked and show me what they've got. An Audi RS6 driver in Milano kept at 120 kph maybe 20 cm(!) safety distance, it was impossible for me to go faster with half a dozend of cars in front of me.

Same experience here, every year I go for a weekend to STA Margarita. There is always an Italian on your bumper flashing his lights, while in front of you the road is blocked with cars. Luckily traffic cleared and that was the last that I saw of the Golf

is that a picture at the place where you put your car on the train ?

Quote:
    RC said:
    The PSE also seems to draw a lot of sympathy, in Germany I got a lot of "middle fingers", here in South France I get a lot of "thumbs up". What a difference in mentality.

lol RC! sounded like an awesome drive, even though there were those crazy drivers, i too want to goto the south of france some day, it is really really beautiful!

Nice report RC... It's funny how similar is the situation in some European countries...But if you are scared from Italian drivers, so you have to see what is here in Bulgaria; It's something normal to overtake from the every empty line on the freeway, to block dangerously others driver, to push hard on 30 cm distance at 200km/h on a second class road....
    It's funny to see how amazed are foreign driver here, mainly now in the summer season

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    SrfCity said:

Easy to say: you have only two choices, to drive slowly below 130 or to be substantially faster. And if somebody follows your tail in a tunnel at 110 kph THAT near your rear bumper that you can't even read his license plate, you HAVE to drive faster to get rid of this dangerous situation. Like I said before: I drove many many times through Italy and never had such a crazy day. Incredible.

Cool write up RC,
    Thanks!
    I kinda agree about Italians drivers, but not as bad as you though> I drove all the way to Tuscany, they seem to push you to show them what you've got.
    Usually, on the motorway, I have a nice CD playing, I just let go, plus it makes them happy I guess.

Dude, the view of your hotel it nice, but there's no wave!!! You're on the wrong coast, come and see me!!!

Man, don't tell us that drinking 17,3/100 km, you didn't drive fast !!!

Great right up RC, it must have been a blast.
    Also your route to the south of France seems more interesting then mine (Autoroute du soleil)

Again I envy you

I would also like to know the name/place of that hotel. Looks pretty nice to me

isn't it more about 'getting at a car with foreign number plates' ?
    Thanks for the pics and report...

Just enjoy your time, and drive slowly!!

Thanks for the write up!!!

17litres of fuel consumption!!!

Had a funny experience in Italy too...we were stuck in a slow traffic on twisties around Lake Major...and this Italian [censored] in a Honda SUV starting for not reason to become totally crazy behind me. Something like I have never seen. He was zigzagging (like a SUV can do, scary in the mirrors), then this is the best part: he got his torso out of the window and started to scream in Italian while continuing to drive...I was afraid he would get smashes by a car coming from the opposite direction. Anyway, I pulleda bit on the right to let him pass, just in case this is what he wanted...but he did not...at this point I was really wondering what to do...and luckily the road ahead cleared up, I dropped 2 gears and 30 seconds later there were no cars in front, no SUV in the mirrors...but we got really scared...

You can certainly see idiots everywhere. But hot blooded/macho on top makes it really scary...not sure if it was related to my car model or its plates...but this was vain.

One thing is to boast about driving fast (well, another word for dangerously)...The one thing is to consider death toll on roads...I just was in Ukraine this week-end, and it's similar to what I have read above on Bulgaria...Not only the general conditions of the roads and cars is at best average, but the mentality is what it used to be in Western Europe probably 30 years ago.
    Seat belts?
    Lights?
    Moderating speed on the wet?
    Checkin your tyre pressure?
    Not dangerously blocking other drivers?
    Not following another car at 30cm@200kph on a B road?
    ...the list goes on and on with not much attention...

...and the result we all know...statistics can be found on the web...
    my $0.02

Quote:
    Leong said:
    Thanks for the report RC, Flying the family to your destination is a great idea and one we will do in summer. Photos look great!!

Uhh, you're also going to Nice by car..?

Christian, great but yet surprising stories. Enjoy the rest of your holiday !

If you approach a slower car on a Polish road, it is said that they make way for you, no matter what car or truck they are in. Who knows where this RS6 driver was from?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765470 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437315 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261443 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258229 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82774 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877556 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809840 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM