Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Next UK meet

Martini for me.. any time, any place, any where... unless it's ungodly early!!

Quote:
    Ente said:
    Let's meet near Guildford on Sun Aug 7. I know I suggested 11am before, but here is the million dollar question: How early could you reliably make it there (any car counts Dreamcar.. you got the Porsche bug that's all you need)?

10:00hrs would be better for us at the earliest. We are both old and up early all week. Whereabouts in Guildford? We'll probably bring the Boxster - haven't used it much since our return from Yorkshire. Rich C / Wtsnet - do you want to meet somewhere and convoy up?

Convoy sounds good.. you know where we are so pick a meet....

Yeah, sounds like a plan, though direct route for me is A31/M27 then up.... could go 303. I'm easy... (No comments!)
    Could get there early, and would probably prefer to do so to skip tourist traffic. What meet point do you have in mind Ente?

Thinking a small pub a bit east of Guilford but have to inquire when they open first. Last time we were there they were not yet open for business. Wonder why?

OK, guys and girls, where are we going to meet next Sunday?
    Rich C and wtsnet if we are going to convoy up there, either the M27 Rownhams services just after junction 3 (M271) or is there a mutually more convenient one on the A303 eastbound?

M27 is good for me, but I'm also happy to go 303 if that fits in with Rich better. Rich?

And of course, any silent board-lurkers in the area are welcome to come along too.

I'll post more details in a few hours, about the exact meeting point and timing. Mr. Ente is out for a last scouting run (since I'm housebound due to being oncall). It'll be around Guildford, as said, and between 10 and 11am next Sunday.

How about Romsey services just off the M27? Easier to get to from either direction? Can then go cross country or M27/M3 depending on time/weather on the day....

I assume you mean at Ower, just off M27 junction 2.(Salisbury A36?).Happy with that.

Think that's the one - with the Mucky D's? Ower, sounds like oo-er! Will be offline from Tues eve until Fri pm, but will be there, wherever there turns out to be - just hope the weather is better than today. Business trips have meant it's 3 weeks since my last Porsche drive.... getting the shakes!!

Update: Meeting place will be in Newland's Corner, just east of Guildford, off the A25, with take-off at 11 am.
    Let me know if that's a problem. More details on the way.

MultiMap

Thanks to my ever-scouting (twisty-addicted?) husband, I am now able to post in more detail what we're planning for the UK Sussex Boxster meet on Sun, Aug 7:
    • Meet at the picnic area Newland's Corner in Surrey, east of Guildford directly off the A25 (Drove Road), at app. 10:45am. Chances are that if you arrive earlier, you'll find us in the restaurant across the A25, The Barn, having breakfast.
    • Take off at 11 am. Drive eastwards until Abbinger Hammer, then turn onto B roads and make for Pease Pottage in the south (end of the M23).
    • Short stop at Pease Pottage service station (very scenic.. NOT ) for refueling and potty breaks.
    • Take off south, loop around onto the B2110 and drive to Turner's Hill, past Worth Abbey. From there head towards lunch via West Hoathly and Sharpthorn.
    • Lunch break at app. 12:30 pm at the "The Red Lion" restaurant in Chelwood Gate (RH17 7DE, A275).
    • Take off and explore Ashdown forest (contrary to what you may have heard, those sheep and cows who sunbathe in the middle of the road DO dent your Boxster's bumper!).
    • Short stop to stretch legs and have some ice cream at a viewpoint in Ashdown Forest: http://www.sussexwt.org.uk/exploresussex/ashdown.htm
    • Head out towards Danehill and for the "super twisties", as we call them, meandering back towards Pease Pottage.
    • End the tour at the High Beeches Gardens' tea house (RH17 6HQ, B2110) at app. 2:45pm to 3:00pm, with cream tea & cake. http://www.highbeeches.com/ , 5 minutes from Pease Pottage

Zoom in (aerial) to meeting point:
    http://multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client...amp;coordsys=gb

The lunch restaurant:
    http://multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?clien....x=5&in.y=6

Driving map:

Could I get a confirmation please on those brave souls entrusting their stomach and their Porsches to us? So far we had:

Ente
    CharlesL (about time )
    Dreamcar (no way to miss this one after missing the last)
    WTSnet (will bring band aid for the scratch I promise)
    Rich C (Martini? Bet we can find SOMETHING)
    Throt (bring whatever you can lay your hands on, but make sure she's dressed)?
    Monkey (worked on the missus yet?)?
    Catsnap (want the blue!)?

..and partners. We made reservations for 12 people at the lunch restaurant (tea room to follow), but can adjust that if needed. Anyone is welcome. If you can't join the drive but live nearby, just stop by for the lunch break.

If anyone needs overnight accommodations, we can house two unfortunate souls in Chiswick (if they like each other enough to share a meager sofa bed ) and Guildford hotels can be found here: http://www.milford.co.uk/england/guildford.html . I checked the "Guildford Hotel" rates and they show up with 30 GBP per person for the night of Aug6-7.

IMPORTANT! Please observe our strict BYOHM (bring your own historic monument) rule. While scouting, we were too busy with finding twisties to factor in any historic sites. Pictures of the Chiswick roundabout can be provided free of charge!

Input welcome. We take alcohol, Tequipment parts etc.

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Think that's the one - with the Mucky D's? Ower, sounds like oo-er! Will be offline from Tues eve until Fri pm, but will be there, wherever there turns out to be - just hope the weather is better than today. Business trips have meant it's 3 weeks since my last Porsche drive.... getting the shakes!!

So what time at Ower / Romsey services, Rich? Do you reckon say 0915hrs? That OK with you wtsnet?

Fairy snuff, dreamcar. see you at 915 then.
    Hey, Ente, are you casting dispersions on my huge monument? I'm not showing it to you again, then!

Arse, shame I will miss all this as I am at work, don't get the car till Sept and live on the map printed above (near Reigate). HUGELY frustrating. And I know the invite was extended to any car, but my 1.2 Polo just won't keep up.

Next time maybe.

Cheers,

KZ

Quote:
    JZ said:
    Next time maybe.

Cheers,

KZ

I'm just about to start thinking about planning the next Meet in September, taking in the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu and the New Forest. Probably mid month after all the Grockles have gone home.

Quote:
    JZ said:
    Arse, shame I will miss all this as I am at work, don't get the car till Sept and live on the map printed above (near Reigate). HUGELY frustrating.

Where's your office? Perhaps we could swing past to taunt you en-masse!?

Quote:
    but my 1.2 Polo just won't keep up

Well Mr. Ente was doing twisties in our Skoda today (weeeee). In any case, there's joining up for lunch if you can (that work thingie sounded bad).

Awesome Ente!!! I'll be there, with my missus! Should I PM my mobile number to you, in case we get delayed/ are late for any reason?

Quote:
    dreamcar said:

So what time at Ower / Romsey services, Rich? Do you reckon say 0915hrs? That OK with you wtsnet?

9-15 on a Sunday morning - is there sucha time!!!

OK then - as it's you guys. Dreamcar - we'll be relying on your Sat Nav to get us to the meeting point.....

Monkey: Cool. Yeah, that might be a good idea. I'll PM my mobile# to everyone anyway.

The one thing I'm more concerned about than the life of the countless English wabbits in our way is the weather. Cross your fingers that it gets better towards the end of the week.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    JZ said:
    Arse, shame I will miss all this as I am at work, don't get the car till Sept and live on the map printed above (near Reigate). HUGELY frustrating.

Where's your office? Perhaps we could swing past to taunt you en-masse!?

My office is at 38,000 feet, so although the Boxster is great, its not that great!! But thank you all for the thoughts.

I'll make the next one, no problem.

Cheers,

JZ

Thanks Ente but I cannot make it , I am tied to my house in the first week of August and through that weekend . Loads of work being carried out - kitchen , hall/landing , cloakroom , conservatory , all being gutted and did'nt realise they would work over that damn weekend but I look forward to the next ..

And anyways I would of had trouble staying with you lot through those windys in a Landcruiser , my P is due here in Jan 06 ..

Again thanks for the invite and to all attending enjoy and be careful..

throt..

No worries JZ and Throt.. we'll catch you eventually in one of those rides. JZ.. that's a work place much more interesting than mine for sure. Throt.. that's what they all say!

Looking forward to meeting up with Monkey, WTSnet, CharlesL, Rich C and Dreamcar to do our best "6 riders of the apocalypse" impression.. though at moderate speeds for the sake of the nerves of the lead car driver.

Monkey I got your PM thanks. If you'd like to get my number just in case you might want to enable your PM reception.

done! thanks

Get some nice pics guys ..

Thanks..

throt.

Last minute info:

Newland's Corner really consists only of the Restaurant "The Barn" on one side of the A25, and the picnic area on the other side. The A25 makes a curve at that point. No go for the Porsche SatNAV (how mean is that), but the multimap links I posted show it pretty well I hope. The picnic place is marked by one of those brown signs.

That parking lot at Newland's Corner is fairly big. If in doubt, head for the black 987S with the two blondies nearby , at about 10:45am to 11 am. Probably parked not too far from the only building there.

C'yas there!

P.S. Uh oh pictures *runs to charge the digicam*.

We couldn't decide who would write up the Sussex drive report, and thus, y'all get stuck with both.

His version:

Safely home we'd like to thank CharlesL, Rich C, dreamcar and Monkey for joining us for an, at times, spirited drive through Ashdown Forest. I'm happy to announce it a big success - with the only reservation that the relative proximity of villages and high volume of cars on the roads left us with perhaps less free roads than we could have wished for. Perhaps the area is just too close to London to be really fit for drives like this.

We met up in Newlands Corner - the early birds got to enjoy a breakfast at the Barn across the street while people were sorting out traffic difficulties, but oddly enough not pathfinding difficulties (!), to arrive in time for us to set out only slightly behind schedule. Our only loss of the day was established at that time - WTSnet had to stay home but promises we haven't seen the last of him!

Speaking of schedule, there's a learning experience right there. We had based our time estimates rather narrowly on the time it takes to get from one place to another with one car - with five cars a little fiddling around at right turns and waiting for each other translates into about 5 minutes extra per half hour. And for some reason people thought it was a social event and stood around chatting about cars and specs and driving which didn't help the schedule one bit! Truth be told, I'd probably put down any delays to people actually enjoying themselves and us not losing anyone on the way.

Our quest to find empty roads met with intermittent success and we exhilerated in a smooth and rapid pace through turns. Anyone and any car can go fast on the straight, but it's when things get a little twisty that fun really begins. Once again I'm amazed at the effortless control and speed of the Boxster, and I must say I find a well executed turn ten times as rewarding as any mere speed thrill.

Lunch time found us (belatedly) at the excellent Red Lion pub-turned-modern-restaurant in Chelwood Gate where the Boxsters preened their feathers under the supervision of Monkey's well appointed 911. By well appointed I am naturally referring to it's clearly superior colouring! We were joined for our repast by a rogue 911 that appeared as if by magic without us having a chance to say hi to the driver.

The lunch parking lot:

From the Red Lion we went past areas of momentous impact in the history of, well, Winnie the Pooh and enjoyed further good stretches of road through Ashdown Forest - the sheep tried to crowd us off the road but acquiesced and let us pass, for us to find that the ice cream truck we had an appointment with had mysteriously disappeared! After a bit of accusatory glaring and bleating (from my side at the sheep) we were back on the road and once again going through the twisties near Horsted Keynes.

Horsted Keynes deserves special mention. It's a village that to my eye had nothing in particular going for it until we started driving through it. It just so happens that the roads north, east and west out of the village are all delightfully twisty - in fact, they are such a pleasure to drive that I would rank those three stretches of road as probably the three best that I've found while scouting for this trip - and all surrounding the same village. That's remarkable.

Driving pleasure aside this was also a day where sounds were playing a big part.

Arguably the best sound was Monkey's PSE that caused Boxsters to change positions just so they could get close and sniff at his rear end.

Arguably the worst was the sound of tractors with associated moans from Porsche drivers.

We ended on a high note with a nice cream tea at High Beeches and the next one or two drives are already in the works. Perhaps next time it'll be a package deal - a Saturday drive with "My other car is a ..." and a Sunday drive in the Porsches on the same route!

I had a great time and it was a pleasure seeing everyone - I look forward to the next time.

Her version:

Thanks everyone for coming! The Sussex drive was great fun. Despite best efforts to obscure the meeting point, we started out with an almost full set of participants: CharlesL, Rich C, Dreamcar and me forming a 987 quadriga, and Monkey in his honorary Boxster (C4S, black mmm). Dreamcar and Rich C must have veered off into no man's land for a while despite satNAV, but they sold it as a road block and still made it ontime. WTSnet had to bail but is to join us the next time (or else). After admiring CharlesL's shiny new chrome exhaust (want one!), we set out for the adventure.

It quickly became apparent that our schedule had not accounted for the necessary delays in coordinating 5 cars throughout Sunday family traffic and so we ran a tad late on the way to the lunch restaurant. I'm not quite sure whether the nice roaring of Monkey's PSE or the increasing growling of the drivers' stomachs was more dominant on the final meters. Counting on the Ford Mondeo estates of this world to make our driver's life miserable, we had packed oodles of twisties into the drive, hoping to get have a few stretches of them to ourselves. As luck had it, we managed to test the driving capabilities of our cars a couple of times before arriving at the lunch place. Who needs more than 3 gears anyways? Witnesses also report that Monkey's behind was quite lively. On the downside... my feeble attempt to wait at the roadside and allow an occasional slowpoke to disappear so we could enjoy the road ended in a surprise, when the a tractor came around the bend and we ended up stuck behind him for 2 miles or so.

Food at the Red Lion in Chelwood Gate was great, despite a slight order mixup which was corrected quickly. When we returned to our cars, we found the group had grown in the meantime and a nice seal grey 911 had been added to the mix. Some more pictures, and off we went. The post-food driving bit was dedicated to Ashdown forest itself - largely on speed restricted roads so not quite as exciting to drive, but with time to spare for enjoying the beautiful heath scenery and the countless sheep on the street. Since the anticipated icecream truck at the viewpoint abandoned us without prior notice, we were quickly progressing towards the second set of Sussex twisties on our way to the tea break and managed to find one or two uncontested set of curves before being forced into sightseeing mode again. We saw a couple of other Porsches along the way and most were happy to wave back.

High Beeches is known for their gardens, but they also feature yummy cream tea, served in the traditional rustic setting of an old stable. Several cups of tea and an enjoyable (car) conversation later, we split up to head home - time for me to follow the holy PSE.

Judging by the tire temperature and the smell of braking, my 987S got a good workout today. The more I drive it, the more confident I get into the handling, feedback and braking abilities, though still a tad scared of ever hitting the traction limits. Some of the roads we hit today were gorgeous but posed a good challenge - a dedicated lane 2m wide at best, a road walled by several meters of greenery which made for rapid light/shadow changes and curves of any variety.. with or without warning signs. Since you don't know what's behind the next curve, it's vital to stay exactly within the narrow lane and ever so ready to hit the brakes for the next set of jolly pedestrians or farm machinery to pop into view. At least the wabbits were all out on vacation today. Well, the Boxsters have been hooked on those scenic drives for a while, and today we spread the addiction into the Carrera camp. I don't feel a least bit guilty about it.

And now I humbly rely on others to supply more pictures and will be looking forward to the next meet (Dreamcar may be already planning...).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762169 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435212 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260443 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257499 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80920 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872077 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807477 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM