Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

E55 - New Gearbox Control Unit Installed and More

Today I got the new gearbox control unit (black box) installed.
    Hardware version is still the same (03/01) but the software version has changed from 24/02 to 44/02.
    I can't say much about improvements right now because the new control unit has to "learn" after a fresh install but the problem I actually made a complaint about (shifting into 4th gear at around 50 kph and not downshifting if throttle is pressed by around 1/4 way) still persists. However, it seems that throttle response is much better (interesting!) and the downshifting works more spontaneous.
    I'll give a more detailled report as soon as I get to drive my car for a few more days.
    Right now I'm happier but not really happy.

The COMAND DVD-based Nav system got another OS Update today which really was worth it. Almost all bugs disappeared and I'm really happy about it.
    Update took a few minutes, my mechanics at my dealer really rock because they came to me to offer me the update, I didn't have a clue that there is another one (just had an update a week ago).
    Gearbox control unit install took a few minutes, they did it immediately. They had to initialize the control unit with the DAS system and with that occasion, they possibly found the reason for the problem I mentioned at 281 kph when the engine seems to have a short "hickup", dropping the rev by around 400-500 rpm.
    The DAS system shows a faulty injection valve at cylindre 7 which actually was quite a surprise for us all.
    Unfortunately this means that my car has to go back to the dealer to check on it further.
    With that occasion, the battery control unit might be exchanged too.

Welcome to the 21st century, where car drivers play beta testers for manufacturers. At least I hope that the SBC software (brake system!) is bug free...

BTW: whoever makes complaints about Microsoft, my XP Pro installation runs smoothly without any problems. I wish I could say the same about my E55.

I'm lucky the mechanics (yes, around 4-5 are "playing" around with my car, I feel like a VIP ) at my dealer do a great job and show a lot of passion to get the problems fixed.
    Seems that they see it as a personal goal to get ALL of my problems fixed. I like this attitude very very much.

Re: E55 - New Gearbox Control Unit Installed and More

Sounds good, RC. Perhaps you can get MB to export good dealer attitude to the US!

Are the updates they gave you going to become stock?

Anything more on hte brakes? What are they doing now?

Re Microsoft, yes XP is better than what they had, but I have a lot of problems still.

I am happy for your good news though. Looks like you will end up with a real nice car.

Sounds good, RC. Perhaps you can get MB to export good dealer attitude to the US!

Re Microsoft, yes XP is better than what they had, but I have a lot of problems still.

I am happy for your good news though. Looks like you will end up with a real nice car.

Quote:

The updates they gave me are already stock on new cars.
    It seems that the faulty gearbox control unit software created all the CAN bus problems. Since they exchanged the gearbox control unit, no electrical problems occured anymore and even the drive dynamic seat seems to work now (no update for it yet!).
    Unfortunately the gearboy control unit software is not something the dealer can upgrade by himself.
    If you have problems with shifting (slow throttle response, slow shifting response, etc.), you might want to speak to your dealer and ask him for an updated gearbox control unit with the latest software. He can get it from the factory but it may take some time.
    As my gearbox control unit already "learned" and "adapted", it is a huge improvement compared to the old one with the 24/02 software version (current version is 44/02 but caution: this could be valid for german E55 only!).

Regarding the brakes: they told me that there is a modification but nothing has been done yet because they want to see if the problem with the SBC wasn't caused by the faulty gearbox control unit software.
    I have another appointment at my dealer in about 2 weeks to check on the injection valve of the 7th cylindre, right now my car works pretty flawlessly. Astonishing.
    I'll keep you updated.

Regarding Microsoft XP: we're using Linux at our office and I was a Linux addict for a few years. But after MS introduced XP, I'm a XP addict. It really works nice, didn't have any crashes and I like the latest "update attitude" from MS, especially regarding security updates.
    Now I only wish I would have been the founder of MS, so I could buy all those nice sports cars out there...

Quote:

The updates they gave me are already stock on new cars.
    It seems that the faulty gearbox control unit software created all the CAN bus problems. Since they exchanged the gearbox control unit, no electrical problems occured anymore and even the drive dynamic seat seems to work now (no update for it yet!).
    Unfortunately the gearboy control unit software is not something the dealer can upgrade by himself.
    If you have problems with shifting (slow throttle response, slow shifting response, etc.), you might want to speak to your dealer and ask him for an updated gearbox control unit with the latest software. He can get it from the factory but it may take some time.
    As my gearbox control unit already "learned" and "adapted", it is a huge improvement compared to the old one with the 24/02 software version (current version is 44/02 but caution: this could be valid for german E55 only!).

Regarding the brakes: they told me that there is a modification but nothing has been done yet because they want to see if the problem with the SBC wasn't caused by the faulty gearbox control unit software.
    I have another appointment at my dealer in about 2 weeks to check on the injection valve of the 7th cylindre, right now my car works pretty flawlessly. Astonishing.
    I'll keep you updated.

Regarding Microsoft XP: we're using Linux at our office and I was a Linux addict for a few years. But after MS introduced XP, I'm a XP addict. It really works nice, didn't have any crashes and I like the latest "update attitude" from MS, especially regarding security updates.
    Now I only wish I would have been the founder of MS, so I could buy all those nice sports cars out there...

HAHAHA import good dealer attite to US. thats a good one

its true about car salesmen being bad here in australia. there is this german salesmen that moved here from germany and was so shocked about the reputation the car and real estate salesmen had here in aust! he said in germany the car salesmen were highly rated and helpfull ppl. which i can believe

and RC u got a SICK car!!

its true about car salesmen being bad here in australia. there is this german salesmen that moved here from germany and was so shocked about the reputation the car and real estate salesmen had here in aust! he said in germany the car salesmen were highly rated and helpfull ppl. which i can believe

Quote:

I can assure you: car salesmen have a bad reputation in Germany too, I don't know what this guy is talking about (or what he drank before...).
    My car salesman gave me a good price, he gave me a stock car because mine didn't arrive in time but his service was pretty bad because I had to call after him all the time and most of the time I couldn't get him on the phone and had to drive to the dealership.

Quote:

I can assure you: car salesmen have a bad reputation in Germany too, I don't know what this guy is talking about (or what he drank before...).
    My car salesman gave me a good price, he gave me a stock car because mine didn't arrive in time but his service was pretty bad because I had to call after him all the time and most of the time I couldn't get him on the phone and had to drive to the dealership.

Thanks, RC. I have an E 55 on order but it has not gone into build yet. I have a good salesperson now, but after putting up with the other kind before. I am disappointed with MB itself. Tehy never responded to my e-mail and the person staffing hte phone line rather unhelpfully referred me to my dealer at a time I did not have any who knew anything.

This is in sharp contrast ot other car companies I have dealt with.

Thanks, RC. I have an E 55 on order but it has not gone into build yet. I have a good salesperson now, but after putting up with the other kind before. I am disappointed with MB itself. Tehy never responded to my e-mail and the person staffing hte phone line rather unhelpfully referred me to my dealer at a time I did not have any who knew anything.

This is in sharp contrast ot other car companies I have dealt with.

Do you need a specific information or what is the reason why you want to contact MB? Just curious.

Do you need a specific information or what is the reason why you want to contact MB? Just curious.

Quote:

I had various questions which salesmen were not able to answer. Most got answered by by you and the lists.

My concern is that after I get the car, and the dealer is unknowledgeable, where would I go. BTW, Saab was the best in dealing with me, Infiniti and Honda not bad.

I was a bit alarmed at an auto show where I could not get even simple questions answered.

Quote:

I had various questions which salesmen were not able to answer. Most got answered by by you and the lists.

My concern is that after I get the car, and the dealer is unknowledgeable, where would I go. BTW, Saab was the best in dealing with me, Infiniti and Honda not bad.

I was a bit alarmed at an auto show where I could not get even simple questions answered.

Quote:

Would you please give me an example of what kind of question you might have in the future regarding the E55?
    I might be able to tell you how your chances are to get an answer.

Quote:

Would you please give me an example of what kind of question you might have in the future regarding the E55?
    I might be able to tell you how your chances are to get an answer.

RC,
    is it possible that I installed the E55 software into C32 so I can get advantage out of it?? I've heard someone did something like that for better throttle response and shift.

thx

RC,
    is it possible that I installed the E55 software into C32 so I can get advantage out of it?? I've heard someone did something like that for better throttle response and shift.

thx

I might be able to tell you how your chances are to get an answer .

Hard to tell in advance. As an example of the past, I had asked MB about an old fashioned MB horn which used ot be a loud beep. Another question I had was on voice control for Nav. .....

I might be able to tell you how your chances are to get an answer .

Hard to tell in advance. As an example of the past, I had asked MB about an old fashioned MB horn which used ot be a loud beep. Another question I had was on voice control for Nav. .....

A question I have now is, why I cannot pick up the E 55 in Germany? One AMG car is so available.

I ran a Federal Government agency where I had staff answer e mail and telephone inquiries. I needed only about the equivalent of 3 full itme people. They made enough friends to find out hte irght answers. They answered in 24 hours or so

They got hundreds of questions a day -- I think. Surely MB can has the money to hire 2--3 people.

A question I have now is, why I cannot pick up the E 55 in Germany? One AMG car is so available.

I ran a Federal Government agency where I had staff answer e mail and telephone inquiries. I needed only about the equivalent of 3 full itme people. They made enough friends to find out hte irght answers. They answered in 24 hours or so

They got hundreds of questions a day -- I think. Surely MB can has the money to hire 2--3 people.

I went to my car dealer yesterday to install a new "black box" the transmissionsoftware, which was QT:03 as in the third version of the software. And the original read QT:01, the first version of the software. The car improved significantly, its much better and felt faster (strange?). Today suddenly the car switched to 'esp limp mode' and it would only crawl forward and refused to react to gas. After it stood for 10 minutes, it worked fine again. is this coincidence or should I be worried?" Thanks for any help guys!

I went to my car dealer yesterday to install a new "black box" the transmissionsoftware, which was QT:03 as in the third version of the software. And the original read QT:01, the first version of the software. The car improved significantly, its much better and felt faster (strange?). Today suddenly the car switched to 'esp limp mode' and it would only crawl forward and refused to react to gas. After it stood for 10 minutes, it worked fine again. is this coincidence or should I be worried?" Thanks for any help guys!

Quote:
    RC,

thx

I highly doubt that.

Quote:
    RC,

thx

I highly doubt that.

Quote:

On my last visit to Affalterbach, I ran into somebody from the US who just picked up his E55 over there (he had german customs license plates). It seems that his wife was German and knew somebody at AMG but I'm not 100% sure about it.
    So maybe there is a possibility to pick up a E55 at AMG directly but not officially?!

Regarding customer service in the US: it isn't AMG's fault, this has something to do with DC. My contact to AMG Germany is pretty satisfactory and I love their customer commitment, honestly. But they're not responsible for the US market as far as I know, it is actually Mercedes Benz USA you have to talk to.

Quote:

On my last visit to Affalterbach, I ran into somebody from the US who just picked up his E55 over there (he had german customs license plates). It seems that his wife was German and knew somebody at AMG but I'm not 100% sure about it.
    So maybe there is a possibility to pick up a E55 at AMG directly but not officially?!

Regarding customer service in the US: it isn't AMG's fault, this has something to do with DC. My contact to AMG Germany is pretty satisfactory and I love their customer commitment, honestly. But they're not responsible for the US market as far as I know, it is actually Mercedes Benz USA you have to talk to.

Quote:

You have two values on the black box:
    1. HW (hardware version)
    2. SW (software version)

As far as I know, there is only one HW revision, nothing new.
    But there is a new software version available.
    Since the install of the new gearbox unit, a few of the most common electronics problems dissapeared. Might have to do with the network design of the CAN bus.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    766161 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437612 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261528 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258392 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82945 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5339 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877749 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810214 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM