Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: august is near...time to buy a car.

Quote:
    killer said:
    Hey guys, scheduled a test drive this thursday at the local Ferrari dealership. Friday I am going to Bentley, Rolls Royce, Lambo and Aston Dealership.

If I'm 22, I won't even consider Bentley or Rolls Royce. Also, it is easier to know what type of cars you want. Like 4 doors (M5), GT (550/575/Aston), sport cars (Lambo, 355/360, 997S). New (997s/M5) or Used? Found the 1st car 1st and the 2nd car is based on what you choose for the 1st car (space/reliability/snow).

To test drive the cars I have to goto the dealerships, where I live the dealerships are an all in one type of deal... The Ferrari dealerships sells maserati and ferrari... (like every other one in the world).. then there is a seperate dealership that sells the rolls', bentley's, aston's, ect. I'm planning on test driving a 360 coupe and convertible, 550 and a 575 while I'm at the Ferrari dealership (they have an Enzo there too... don't think they would let me get my hands on it... seeing as how they lost a F50 a few years back hint hint... (only 1 us ferrari dealership has had a car stolen...one being an F50). I want to see if they will do an over the weekend loan so I can see how life is with the car .. they should allow it since my credit will check out. Then I am going to the other dealer to td the Bentley GT, aston, murci and a gallardo.

I'm waiting just to go to Algar tomorrow and get my hands on those cars... I even have my typical summer driving clothes ready for the occassion (polo yarmouth, grey tee, shorts, and a pair of sandals, which I may switch to boat shoes tomorrow, if it is not over 100 degrees.

Quote:
    killer said:
    Part of the money that I have earned has come from investment (cough cough... google and berkshire Hathaway B stock).

Your story doesn't add up. If you made the money based on what you did as an undergrad then google couldn't have been an investment as it didn't go public until this past year. So....you are either a rich kid or full of it. Based on what you said your gift was, I am guessing rich kid.

What you need to be is subtle and show restrained taste.

I never said I was in undergrad when I made any investments, I believe. The time and events is fine, re-read the whole thing. Moreover- you had a qoute.. it gave no timeline.

-Part of the money that I have earned has come from investment (cough cough... google and berkshire Hathaway B stock). -

BK.B stock takes a lot of time to mature (that was an undergrad investment)

Naturally, google didn't go IPO until about last year. I'm a 2nd year law student now.... so do the math.

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I am from Australia but I am am half Italian. Great site! Killer if you want to keep investing I would recommend you include Australia.

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2005_08_03/australia/australia_voted_favorite.htm

If I were you I would go with the Ferrari, if you get a BMW go for at least a 5 series. To a lot of people a 3 series is just a claytons car.

Hahahaha. Thanks for the advice. Actually, I am in a line to get purchase the IPO of the Chinese version of Yahoo. The valuation of the company keeps going up. If anyone wants to make a quick buck (say, invest 300k @ 22 per) you can possibly triple the initial investment in three months.

Anyway, I went to Algar, test drove a 550M, 575M, and a 360. The 550 and 575M's were great, however, I noticed that they didn't really sound like a Ferrari (or my understanding of what I expect a Ferrari to sound like). They sound good and everything, but it's more of a heavy machine type of roar opposed to an engine scream. The 360 on the other hand yells and LOUD. The power is very good for a car of its weight... however, it is wider than I was expecting- which is not a problem... but just an interesting thing that I really never noticed when I saw 360's on the street. They have a 550M that I really liked.. it didn't cost much at all and is what I expect of a Ferrari (red and beige), they also had a nice 575.. silver with a blue interior (i don't like the interior). However, I was able to take a 02' 360 (red with beige interior and red stitching) for the weekend (which is currently sitting in the apartment courtyard). I drove it a little yesterday and at night and really enjoyed myself. Today I am going to Kerbeck to test drive a Bentley GT, Murci, Gallardo, and an aston db9.

@killer: pics pics pics please

Quote:
    killer said:
    Hahahaha. Thanks for the advice. Actually, I am in a line to get purchase the IPO of the Chinese version of Yahoo. The valuation of the company keeps going up. If anyone wants to make a quick buck (say, invest 300k @ 22 per) you can possibly triple the initial investment in three months.

If you're referring to Baidu.com,...then that ship has sailed. Anything else?

Still buy baidu.com (it's still ultra cheap...)... look at google, it was stated at 125.. and then the next week it was at 150.... hell, at 200 it's still good. There is nothing wrong with it, buy it like it is crack.

I have an old digital cam by my computer desk (the very one that I am typing at)... I will roll out and get some batteries for it and hook you guys up. So far as me... I was very happy, up until a few mins ago... I called my ex and told her that there is no hope for her and I to ever be friends on any level (after alot of stuff)- so I am kinda depressed right now.

However, there is a perfectly fine Ferrari that will be like the one I intend to purchase in a few days sitting in the apartment buildings courtyard.... just waiting for me- I think I can look to that for some help.

So far as the other drives.. the Bentley wasn't my cup o' tea... it was heavy.. and just uninteresting. It felt better than my M3 but it wasn't better than the 360 that I drove to the damn dealership with-- so... lame. The Murci was just ODD. I am a stickler for not trying to crowd other cars and not trying to hit other things... but dammit... TRYING to look out of that rear windshield was IMPOSSIBLE... moreover, the turn radius was [censored]. But it was fun to drive... but... just not the type of fun I want on a weekend car. It's more like a car I would want for a few hours opposed to a whole weekend at the beach house type of deal. The Gallardo was fine, but I still hate that A pillar window-- the engine has enough grunt and it gets the attention.. but really- why buy a gallardo with the doors that open normally opposed the the "lambo" doors on a murci? I can't get over that. And I had the opportunity to drive an Aston db9.. which is nice.. but again, does nothing for me in the extreme range. It's refined and nice.. but it isn't so extreme to me that it screams "I am just as good, if not better than a viper." Sadly, I would have taken a 2002 Dodge Viper coupe over the aston... and only b/c it looks better on the outside than it drives and than it rides then the aston.

So, It looks like either a 550M or a 575... or a 360 coupe are going to be in my future. The 550 didn't sound like a Ferrari, but it played the part. The 575 drove a bit faster than the 550 and it had all of the modern crap that I would expect a car to have (xenon headlights... what's a car like that to do without headlights that blind the onlookers in its path?... howevever a 1k D2S xenon kit could fix the 550 I drove and make me happy). The 360 was and still is a dream. I plan on driving that car until I feel better about my ex tonight.. and I'm sure that I will be able to trust it, unlike my ex.

(Mike S, I'll try to hook you up with pics of the weekend 360 in a bit).

Quote:
    killer said:
    Still buy baidu.com (it's still ultra cheap...)... look at google, it was stated at 125.. and then the next week it was at 150.... hell, at 200 it's still good. There is nothing wrong with it, buy it like it is crack.

You're still wet behind the ears here. While I'm happy for you for making a decent return on Google, let me give you some advice on it: Sell! Sell! Sell!

It's overpriced and MSFT will put the hurt on them shortly.

As for BIDU don't even think about it. This thing is hyped up like crazy. The first day of trading has netted a nearly 400% gain.

Baidu is buy don't!

Quote:
    killer said:
    However, I was able to take a 02' 360 (red with beige interior and red stitching) for the weekend (which is currently sitting in the apartment courtyard).

Have you thought buying a house before you buy a Ferrari?

"Wet behind the ears?".... Ahem...

"The Beijing-based company's shares closed at $122.54 on the Nasdaq Stock Market, a 354 percent gain from its initial public offering price of $27"

Didn't I say that is what would occur? I'm keeping 1/4 of it in (to see if it goes any higher), the other 3/4's a portion of that is going to my father (as he decided to put in some money with me)... the other portion I am just going to save for a while. However, you guys should still buy Baidu it will probably peak at 175.

So far as a house... I'm 22 and live in a city. I'm not from Philadelphia and really, I just hate to think of ever living here full-time. I'm only in the city because of school- that's it. The housing market throughout the country is in a bubble that started a few years back. I'm not buying any apartment or house anytime soon. Paying 1.5 million for ROW house in society hill isn't a deal and it isn't what I would consider a house. After I graduate, I may move out of philadelphia, and even then. I am not going to pay a million or two for an apartment in rittenhouse or a row house anywhere in Philadelphia. Something that most people don't think about (that have lived in the city their whole lives) is what a REAL house is supposed to be. In Philadelphia they consider a places in the city a mansion ...although, they are normal houses anywhere in DELAWARE. Sure, the Philadelphia versions of mansions are old and historic... they simply aren't what I would consider a mansion.
    -So, no house plans until I graduate and figure out where I want to work and/or I have enough money to purchase the exact type of house that I want.

I'd rather take a US country risk. Real estate or whatever.
    Thank you very much.

10 days had past kiddo! Buy a car already. It's just a fookien car!

Imagine if you bought a lot of calls instead, you could have made a fortune!

There was a mining company here that was taken over by the largest mining in the world ( BHP ). The share price went up only $ 2 but the option price really went up, In one day $14,000 would have turned into $1,000,000. ( before tax ). Option trading is also good because of the limited risk, you only lose put in, unlike the futures market.

wow! keep this thread going!!!

u guys can help me pick my next stock to fund my next toy....

sigh.... I work my ar$$ off and all I could afford is a humble boxster....

and its not even an S.....

Crazy Australians hahaha... j/k. 1- I don't invest in anything aside (for conglomerates.. i.e, sony, brk.b..(I can't afford A. hahahaha ) for sure things. Google and and tech stocks that are emerging are SURE things (having worked for a company that created start ups in philly... I sorta know how to GRADE IPO's and good companies to invest in ). However, I do have to note that Berkshire Hathaway was brought to me by another individual.. the rest I did by myself. Anyway- the latest personal investment (baidu.com) made over a million.... My father gets 1/4th of the total investment (his portion)... imagine how happy he is of his son that watches re-runs of Dave Chappelle and top gear. Slowly I think I can get my father into investing for more things (he isn't big on it)... however, it's good- and if you know sure things .. it's VERY good.

I am not a stock broker.. and I don't claim to be an expert...however, you have to think LOGICALLY. I invest in congloms and tech stocks.. so far as Baidu and google are concerned.... think in an obvious manner- WHAT WILL BE THE NEXT BAIDU?.. (think yahoo vs google). WHAT will be the next EBAY (think ASIAN EBAY).. things like that. No one uses US crap (who doesn't speak English....which is the REST OF THE WORLD). Asia is coming up after a VERY long time... and they are going to hit it hard.
    (also.. I don't invest in BIOTECH. Biotech right NOW.. as it stands is a JOKE. Companies will be bought out... and the like, however, I have a rule that I don't put any money into something that I could have done or could have had friends do. EXAMPLE- spelling a person's name with replicated brain cells does not equal innovation... it equals pointlessness IMO.

-However, CARS- I am happy to say that the Ferrari 360 that I have had the opportunity to spend some time with IS the car that I am going to get (not the exact one I have now). I would like to purchase a dark silver version of it w/ challenge grille and scuderia. Also, I want to change the wheels (as they are kinda lame) to some BBS LM's or something that is a bit harder. I plan to keep the M3 and hold out for a 997 turbo or a 997 C4s CAB (or the M5 if one is available in black or le mans blue).

My advice to you would be to take the money that you've made and continue to invest, rather than spend a big chunk of it on an expensive sports car. Unless, of course, you already have enough money to retire on.

Am I the only one that doesn't get what this thread is about?

The Thread is about purchasing a car... in the thread there are various topics going on. It takes a bit of reading. For some reason non U.S. citizens are having some sort of issue with this thread- A.- purchasing a car is second to purchasing a home- especially one that costs about the price of a rather small home. B.- what will be the replacements (in the U.S. most individuals keep a vehicle longer than 2 years... so one should know what he or she is purchasing and make sure it is what they want to live with for a while).

As for the rest, we are talking about investing... hahaha. As for everyone with the house comments- READ all of the posts. Does anyone here know a 22yr old with a house!? especially in a large city?

US individuals keep a Ferrari (you wrote "vehicle") longer than 2 years ....

just dropped off the td car... and I have my M3, once again. I must admit that it feels like withdraw- knowing that I don't have a toy like that to drive just for me hurts... SO... with test driving and the like, I asked the sales rep that is talking with me about them either finding a suitably priced 575M or the Silver and black (w/ challenge grill Ferrari)... he will contact me in a day or so when he finds one and give me the price and it should be about a week or two after they find one at another dealership from purchase via them that the car will be delivered to the building. When I go in to pay for the car the funny question is going to be if they take debit or credit (it doesn't matter really, the Visa use comes out of my bank account anyway hahahaha).

Quote:
    killer said: When I go in to pay for the car the funny question is going to be if they take debit or credit (it doesn't matter really, the Visa use comes out of my bank account anyway hahahaha).

Are you for real? Do you actually have a car?

Killer, congratulations on a top investment return. Do you trade options or futures at all? I have learnt about these but have never put them into practise. My investing is super cautious, mutual funds only.
    I can't believe how high Baidu went up and is still going up!
    Bid $ Offer $ Last $ Change Open $ High $ Low $ Volume
    143.1600 143.4600 143.4140 +20.8740 137.7500 153.9800 132.0000 7.53M

As for the Ferrari decision the 360 would be a more exciting driving experience and the 575 is a more exclusive car and has a v12, so it's a very tough choice.

There are some second hand 430's on the market now, I have even seen quite a few on E-bay for sale. I have read and heard that many test drivers rate the 430 as the best car that they have ever driven.

A cashier's check would be a little annoying to get...seeing as how my bank is in a different state. Plus the guy said that they are able to take it. Moreover, how do you guys pay for cars? Cashier's check or do you roll in with money bags!? hahahaha. Another law student here at PENN paid for his car with his black card and it worked out well.

I don't know about Pennsylvania, but in California I think there is a law preventing the purchase of a car with a credit card. For me, I just wrote a check when I picked up my 997S.

i did a direct transfer with the first SL. walked in, car caught my eye, transfered the $$ and drove the car home 30 mins later

Mike S, you're a pimp... yeahhh.. I am too nervous about certain things to go straight up ... see something I want and purchase it- I do crazy benchmarks and trending to see what I actually want and how much enjoyment I will get from a significant purchase. But I expect to purchase the car in a few days...(when they find the one that I want).

-So far as a higher up car (f430 or a f430 spider).. ehhh, not right now, I am happy with getting a 360 coupe and keeping the m3 as a convertible until something else comes along that peaks my interest. As people know.. life with a convertible isn't always the greatest... The 360 I get will be used for fun, but it will have its fair share of rain storms and the like.

here in the uk the dealers only take credit cards for the deposit... as they don't like paying the credit card fees on the full purchase, understandably

Quite a topic here!!
    @Killer, you're about my age, i'm in law school too, and yet I can't find any ways of earning enough money to even buy me a lawn mower. What I mean with this is, if you really pay for your toys yourself, way to go then killer! I can only admire you.
    Yet if your toys are paid for by ...., my advice would be not to spend so much and save something for possible darker years to come!
    In any case, you're a lucky bastard, and keep up the good work!

Car wise: My way to go would've been, get a 360, lose the M3, and say to your dealer it has to be a S-T-R-A-D-A-L-E

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    766868 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437849 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261585 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258530 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    83085 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5342 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877932 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810555 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM