Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

august is near...time to buy a car.

Alright, currently I have an 04' BMW M3 cab. I am in my 2nd year of law school, have clerked since my first year of law school and have worked at law firms since the first year... the summer is coming to an end. My savings are bloated and I think its time to treat myself (as if the M3 wasn't enough). I have enough money to spare to purchase a used (meaning 10k miles 00-03) 360 coupe or a 550M (or possibly a used 575M) or a 355. I was also considering (this is just a consideration)... getting an Bentley (used of course)... 2001-03 Red label or a used Bentley GT (those are going in the mid 150-170k ranges at the local dealer) or an Aston Martin... In that same vein, I could also get a used Lambo Gallardo (not yellow... hahaha). But here is the trade off- I would trade my m3, get the new car, and then purchase something cheaper as an everyday car (like a new 3 series or something). Of course, there are other options...(trade in the M3 get the 06' range rover supercharged version and get the new M5 or... get a porsche 997 c2, keep the M3-but wait for the new M3). I dunno, which combo to decide on.

The Bentley's are GREAT, but I am too young for the traditional bentley. The GT seems again, too much... a Bentley screams money, and I want to make a different statement- I'm 22, so the Bentley thing would look a bit odd.

Re: august is near...time to buy a car.

Also...

I already did the insurance qoutes from my current car insurance provider.... I pay a small amount now (less than anyone in my family)- the difference between me getting anyone of the other cars and another car is only about 50 bucks more a month than what I am paying. The 360 would be a 40 dollar increase... and a new 325i would add only 10 more to that 40 increase. Has anyone ever asked for a qoute (over the phone) ... the people are like.. WOW!!! what do you do for a living!? hahaha.

First of all, I'm astonished that insurance for the cars you've mentioned are only $500/yr more than on your M3. Second, I'm curious what you're looking forward to. If you drive a Ferrari or a Bentley as a 2nd year law student, what are you going to drive after you graduate and start making the big bucks?

I think a 360+ a daily driver (new 3 series) would be an optimal combo.

Hahahaha.. that's a question my mother asked back after I graduated highschool. Lemme give you a brief car history and the times when they were purchased before I give the answer (it's like a preface for the answer).

1st car- 93' honda accord 267k miles (all through highschool...sold to a friend)

2nd car- 99/00' 328i sport (high school graduation gift in 2000)... this car was GREAT... unfortunately, the bmw dealership picks up cars to do service on them (they drive a bmw to give you and drive your car back to the dealership)... on the drive to the dealership the driver crashed the car. So... new car.

2000- 00' M Roadster (very fun car...however, the car has no trunk.. not the best car for a college student..but it got a [censored] load of ladies and looked RIGHT wherever I went and handled GREAT!). This is the point at which my mother posed the "If you get a bmw now... what are you going to get later in life," question. Trade in...

2004- 04' BMW M3 Cab- current car (I was floored when I saw it the summer of my graduation from highschool... so it is nice to have the car that blew my mind... it's a joy to drive).

The insurance was interesting... I called them and the car I have now is considered a sports car so far as my insurance is concerned... however, I have no points or anything like that and I have never caused an accident. So, it was interesting. I don't know why it's so low... but it works out that way.

In regard to what I am looking forward to. For a car (right now)... I want something functional but also fun. So... that means (for me)..2 cars. One that I can drive everyday, take care of but also enjoy it. Then there is the fun car-- that is the "park out front of the restaurant" car. So far as cars... to me.. a bentley is an ultra luxury sedan- it's great b/c of its history (sport and luxury).. and its simply the maker of very beautiful, refined cars- that's what they are to me. All cars tell another individual about the status of a person- and sadly... that's not what I am looking for- I am looking for a car that is attractive to me and something that very few people have. The problem with me getting a bentley is 1- people are going to think that is not mine. 2- I'm an actor or an athlete (not a successful young person WORKING). 3- Drug dealer. (those are the problems only with the bentley.. number 1 and 2 applies to every other car).

now the actual answer...

Well, really, the way in which I am going through law school.. I already am making more than first year attorney's... simply b/c I did innovative stuff as an undergrad with a company here in Philadelphia... so more money? I dunno, right now, I don't make the max. of what I believe I will make when I finish law school .. so it depends... I assume later I'll get the cars I really want (I really want a Ferrari...but I can't buy a brand new one... I really want a bentley...but I can't buy a brand new one). Maybe I'll purchase some of the cars I originally wanted when I was a bit younger (BMW Z8, Shelby coupe, Morgan, all of those things... but that is a very long time and a dream away). Moreover.. when I do graduate, I don't want to roll up to my employer at all of 23 years of age in a ferrari... that wouldn't go over too well.. (which is also an idea for a tamer NORMAL everyday car).

Quote:
    killer said:

The problem with me getting a bentley is 1- people are going to think that is not mine. 2- I'm an actor or an athlete (not a successful young person WORKING). 3- Drug dealer. (those are the problems only with the bentley.. number 1 and 2 applies to every other car).

You forgot about:

4). Spoiled rich kid.

Do yourself a favor and forget about the cars. What you need is a good financial adviser so you can invest the money. In 10 years you can afford any Ferrari, Bentley,or Bmw you want.

An M3 at 23 yrs. is impressive enough.

Part of the money that I have earned has come from investment (cough cough... google and berkshire Hathaway B stock).

What is it with lawyers and Ferraris?

i beat u,
    dropped out of college, purchased m3 at 18. ordered first porsche at 20.
    ego boosted

get a gallardo.

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    i beat u,
    ego boosted

I dropped out of law school to become a stock broker.

I can't believe how many Bentley GT's I've seen lately. Saw a Silver one yesterday at a Ferrari rally that I went to. I still cannot believe how awesome that car look. I could stare at it from the side for hours. It looks like it was formed from 1 solid block of aluminum.

IMO get something that absolutely rocks your world performance wise (Lambo, Ferrari) and get your everyday car. I saw a white Range Rover Sport Super Charged on Friday and I was blown away. Sick truck. Definately will chomp away at Cayenne sales.

I dunno, the Bentley is a bit much IMO... thought it does look good. WHAT I HATE about that car is the window (just like the Gallardo)... they have an A pillar support that I hate (z3's have them) I know why a Z3 had it (it's a convertible... it needs it)... why the hell does the GT need one? couldn't they have engineered it a little better? I mean, look at the CL--- no A pillar needed for that big car and it looks amazing with out. The Gallardo too... I'm leaning towards either a Ferrari 360 or a 550/575M The 550's will be cheap so I could possibly just get one of those and get something else a little higher (like a 6 series or something). I dunno, I'll make a decision soon though. Also, you're a stock broker? did you get your MBA? I know you have to pass the series 7 test or something... how does the stock broker thing work out without an MBA?

get a girlfriend

Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    get a girlfriend

rofl!

but on a more serious note, don't get the bentley! i had one last year and exact same problem, i'm no where near 30 and when ever i drove around in it, it just didn't give the same feeling as the others cars did. which is why i sold it after a few months of ownership

A girlfriend would be the death of me. I'm not really in the mood for another g/f for a while (say 3 years or so). The last one I had really took alot out of me- plus they cost a lot of money and WASTE TIME- I'll stick to random girls that can pay their own way (I'm never going to date another med student or doctor in my life.... the last one was HORRIBLE. My brother is a doctor and anyone that has a doctor in the family already knows about how much they talk about medical crap... just to show off their knowledge-- the exact same thing with the g/f ... the only problem is that I am hearing it all OVER again... my brother already did the same crap she is talking about.. it's not new to me... so..there were issues from the begining).
    -MikeS-
    what bentley did you get? A standard (arnage) or a GT?

continental GT

Quote:
    ha said:
    What is it with lawyers and Ferraris?

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    i beat u,
    ego boosted

What color? (also do you have any pics of it when you had it?) I remember that you just got an SL65 and you even posted a clip of the difference between the 55 vs. 65 and a host of pics as well.

Did the Bentley drive well? Was the ride interesting?

i'll look for some pics of the bentley when i get home, don't have a whole lot unfortunately. the colour was diamond black.

regarding the actual feel of the car, acceleration wise it wasn't far off the Sl 55, almost the same the handling for a heavy car was quite good actually, very very nice car overall, i had no problems with it at all, like i said it just wasn't for me at my time of age

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I saw a white Range Rover Sport Super Charged on Friday and I was blown away. Sick truck. Definately will chomp away at Cayenne sales.

If only Range Rover hadn't been rated in last place in the J.D.Power customer satisfaction survey, they'd have something.

Quote:
    killer said:
    A girlfriend would be the death of me.
    I'll stick to random girls that can pay their own way.

Amen You are to young to have a girlfriend anyway, you should be out having fun and not tied down. Your idea of sticking to random girls for now is a great idea. Some women at your age can be dream killers, they always need attention, and when you are working towards your dream, they can get in the way. "Why don't you spend enough time with me?, how come we never go out?, Im tired of you always working-schooling....blah blah blah" If you don't stick to your goals, you may end up having plenty of time to spend with your girlfriend...when your not working at the local fast food place
    As far as picking a new car for yourself, pick one that suits your personality and driving needs

So true, the G/f thing. I got what I wanted for the time (I am young... so I thought it would be good to have a real relationship- with caring and all of that... hahaha, what all of my other friends had), I did that for 2 years.. and now... I realize the whole problem with it all- it's a hassle that I can't deal with at this point in my life. However... the chick I was with at the time was what I expected her to be in the end... I knew she was needy and I knew she needed incredible amounts of attention ... so, I knew that was the case... it just got old after a while. Moreover- she didn't understand cars at all (which blew my mind). She only understood cars and everything towards the last weeks of our relationship and she realized that she had the opportunity to ride around in an M3 and an M roadster, it was just odd- like who doesn't know what a bmw is!? She was annoying, and I can't deal with that now.

-Car wise.... I'm leaning hard on the Ferrari. I think it expresses everything that I want to say about myself, and I have always wanted one. The Bently is too much "bling" an aston is too obscure in philadelphia...a nice SILVER 360 or a dark silver 550/575M (I really am in love with the 575's.. simply b/c not that many individuals get those over the 360's.. they are a bit older, but they are larger too.). I am also leaning on an M5.. but .. I have had bmw's... an M5 would be what I am expecting it to be- I need a work car, and I dunno what to get with that. A 3 series would be optimal... but I also like the used 02' 7 series (which will be the same cost as an optioned up 06' 3 series). So I have to crack my old economics notebook and review so I can set up a excel chart to see what I really want.

Buy a 360. 550/575 is too heavy and not as much fun.

As far as daily driver is concerned, think about it after
    you have bought the Ferrari.

gallardo is the way to go. its reliable, you can use it as an everyday car and it looks weeeely weely sexy.

dont get a new 3 man, get an m5, if you ware willing to pay 30k+ over msrp.

For the daily driver, I'd probably stick with a BMW M3 or get an Audi S4 quattro. Something compact, powerful and understated.

I agree with you that the "flashy" car is better to be used in your spare time than for business purposes at that age.

I don't really like the Gallardo. It is better as an everyday car.. but for some reason that A pillar that they use on the windows to support the roof and everything looks bad to me (under engineered). Moreover, aren't they doing a refresh soon? I would want my car in 3 weeks (class starts soon). I wouldn't mind the convertible Gallardo, but that thing would cost me my whole 2 car budget and I'm not going to do that. Moreover, if porsche would hurry up and drop its twin turbo 997 the whole second car issue would be solved.

gallardo spyder or the bentley...

or both!

Hey guys, scheduled a test drive this thursday at the local Ferrari dealership. Friday I am going to Bentley, Rolls Royce, Lambo and Aston Dealership.

i would go for used 360 ,great car ,i drive it everyday ,or the aston martin v8 ,just saw the catalogue ,its a stunning car

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776521 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441406 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262621 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260777 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85068 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5494 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880426 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815517 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM