Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Is Porsche still missing the perfect wheels for the 997 ?

Porsche still has not come up with a really good wheel for the 997 .. so far I think TechArts have come the closest . I remember when the 993 came out and after about a year the twists came out ... that was the obvious choice for the car and it became standard on the turbo right up until this day . Maybe they are saving the ultimate wheel design for the turbo . Does anyone else feel like this is still the missing piece for the 997 design and thinks that Porsche may be holding it back . I like the lobster forks and all the rest but there just seems to be something missing with all of them even the after-market ones .

Re: Is Porsche still missing the perfect wheels for the 997 ?

I love mine (classics). Maybe it's personal taste? Heck if I know.

I vote for the Carrera Classics too.

mcdelaug

What about the new 2006 SportEvo wheel?

Re: Is Porsche still missing the perfect wheels for the 997

Sorry guys, IMHO, Tech Art have juuuuuust a liiiiiitle too much flair in the spokes to look like they belong on the car. They are just a little too "fabulous" and take your attention away from the car.

The "best," most "German-looking" wheels are Rufs. I think they look more Porsche than Porsche. They're not exactly beautiful, like Carrera Classics, but they ARE "all business."

Carrera Classics get my vote as far as factory wheels go.

Carerra Classics are where its at. Thats what I have ordered. I think the new Sport Evo wheel looks too much like the old MiniLite wheels you used to get on the original Mini Coopers. Plus they cost more thna the 19 Classic and Sports design.

Not a great design in my opinion.

Cheers,

JZ

Porsche has something up their sleeve when it comes to the best wheels for the 997 . I really think we will see it on the Turbo becuase none of the wheels out right now will do the Turbo justice .

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Porsche has something up their sleeve when it comes to the best wheels for the 997 . I really think we will see it on the Turbo becuase none of the wheels out right now will do the Turbo justice .

Even if you LOVE a future Porsche wheel and thinks it's the best , most uniquely iconic , timeless Porsche wheel since the forged 70s and 80s Fuchs and the 90s turbo-twists , the next ten posts will inevitably trash it - it the INTERNET WAY !

Quote:
    MKW said:

Even if you LOVE a future Porsche wheel and thinks it's the best , most uniquely iconic , timeless Porsche wheel since the forged 70s and 80s Fuchs and the 90s turbo-twists , the next ten posts will inevitably trash it - it the INTERNET WAY !

They ARE great wheels, no boutadoubtit. Defnitely all those things, classic, timeless, iconic,emblematic.

We're just waiting for Porsche to do it again like "OCEAN" is suggesting.

MMD,

I like those Ruf wheels too. Very solid, very stoic, very cool.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    MMD,

I like those Ruf wheels too. Very solid, very stoic, very cool.

mcdelaug

Yes, I guess we're just in one of the several distinct aesthetic camps (all valid in their own way). Something like $3500-4000. Nothing frilly about them, beautiful and all business.

We're just waiting for Porsche to do it again

Thanks MMD

Some of the Champion Porsche wheels are very beautiful and look very sporty. I may go for a set for my S in the future.

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    I really think we will see it on the Turbo becuase none of the wheels out right now will do the Turbo justice .

Only chrome-plated wire-spoked wheels with winged central knock-off hub nuts could do a Turbo justice!

ONLY KIDDING

how many of you think they will introduce a new wheel for the Turbo ..

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Porsche still has not come up with a really good wheel for the 997 .. .

I don't agree : if the standard S would be an option, I would choose them

i'm perfectly happy with my standard S wheels, i think they suit the car just fine

3 piece

I think the 997 deserves three piece wheels for the perfect look. HRE and Champion come close, but not perfect, IMO

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    i'm perfectly happy with my standard S wheels, i think they suit the car just fine

Same here. IMO they're unique to the car. Heck, it's not like P just pulled them out of a hat, they probably did a lot of research to pick a design that really said something about the 997's evolution.

I absolutely agree with you guys- they look great to me ( fit the 997 style beautifully/ look modern). I would definitely pay extra for them too.

I had better be careful- they may make it an option for the S!

lol! shhht, stop giving them ideas

I like the way my S wheels look but they're more than I bargained for to clean. (my last Porsche had the Turbo wheels and my CS has CCM's so theres nothing to clean)) If I could do it again I'd choose the classics.
    For after-market the TechArt Formula wheels are the ONLY ones I'd put on my car. In fact I had a deposit on a set (at the time CEC was sold out and back-ordered 2 months)but once I took delivery and drove my 997 S cab I realized that any firmer ride would be uncomfortable for an every-day car. They way they look though is sick. Especially if you see them from a 3/4 view (from the side a bit)
    I think...think the SportEvo is what will be on the 997 Turbo. All the 997 Turbo spy shots have this wheel on the front.

Clean your wheels? Got a Bandsaw?

Good..., now go buy some big cheap sponges and slice them up to specific, well-measured, shapes that custom-fit the grooves of your wheels. Makes it easier. Watch your FINGERS!! Because sponges are so big You'll have the blade very exposed.

I have been thinking and looking at wheels for months. Obvoiusly this is a very subjective issue. My thoughts... the lobster fork wheel is not fitting with the overall design of the car. That wheel is too busy for the flowing lines of the 997. I went with the Classic II's which I like but wanting to be different and needing a second set of wheels anyway for track tires I just ordered the Champion RS 98's. (The Classic's will get track tires mounted) I considered, HRE, OZ Superleggra and the Brandywine wheel. I was looking for three design characteristics in a wheel: a deep dish look, widest open areas between spokes to show off the 'Big Reds' and light weight. For me the RS 98's do it. The Brandywine wheel would have too but I read in a post to this forum that they were limited production and Brandywine did not respond to my e-mail. It was also easy to get the Champions from the dealer at a fair price ($4150) and installed before I take delivery (On Monday!!!!)
    Yes, I will be posting pic's.

IMO the standard wheels for the carrera S suits the car perfectly... i wouldnt change it at all...

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Porsche still has not come up with a really good wheel for the 997 .. so far I think TechArts have come the closest . I remember when the 993 came out and after about a year the twists came out ... that was the obvious choice for the car and it became standard on the turbo right up until this day . Maybe they are saving the ultimate wheel design for the turbo . Does anyone else feel like this is still the missing piece for the 997 design and thinks that Porsche may be holding it back . I like the lobster forks and all the rest but there just seems to be something missing with all of them even the after-market ones .

Wheel choice took me a while.
    I had the 18 classic Carrera on my 996, superb, class, classic, thin 5 spokes, you could see the disks really well, kinda cool.

First wheels I ticked for the 997 where the Sport design wheels and then realised it was a bit too fussy, almost in a flashy kinda way.

Then I ticked Classic, very nice, same as my old one but in 19" and they look a bit "stronger" too.
    Then I realised it's too generic, not that it looked too much like my old car's rims, they look like every other car's rims , which is not bad in itself, they still look great, but too classic I guess, both my folks Mercs have those rims.

So I went for the standard 997S rims, which funilly enough I didn't like at first, but, in typical Porsche fashion, have grown on me with time (pretty much the same story with the 997 actually).
    They look powerful, solid, engineered, and most of all, are unique to the car (albeit Audi/ Lambo but not as pronounced in the lobster fork design )

I love the standard wheels now!

Don't really like the new EVO wheels actually, they look like fat version of the 996 GT3 Mk1 wheels.
    Mini like as someone else wrote.

There will be a new wheel design for the Turbo I think, should look great, as usual!
    I love the Techno wheels of the 996.
    Something similar would be cool!

I love my standard "S" wheels, and agree with Stradele that they're more of a handful to clean than I anticipated. Oh well, what can you do.

But what I believe is a more TELLING observation, is how often my wheels get compliments from people who don't even know the difference between a 993, 996 or 997. Just normal everyday people, people who care little about cars, ALWAYS comment on how "cool" they think those "S" wheels are. They instantly recognize the wheel as being something they've never seen before, not recognizing that the entire car is new, and they seem to immediately embrace them. And they'll repeat themselves, "man, those wheels are cool". So, I think Porsche had a good idea with those wheels. I know they're not for everybody, but you've got other options available, so it's all good.

I don't think they are too "busy" at all. The 997 itself is such a "blob", that I think the edgy-industrial-mechanical wheels compliment perfectly, and bring a little aggressiveness to what is otherwise a car that is nothing but soft curves and shapes. The 997 needs a little "zing" and a little edge somewhere, and the S wheel delivers

The standard S wheels look good to me.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764902 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436889 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261228 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258096 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82712 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877203 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809369 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM