Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Panamera is officially launched

It is now official, Porsche will built the 4th model line called Panamera and plan on selling at least 20,000 units per year from 2009. the Panamera will be a "sport-coupe in the premium class segment with 4 seats and 4 doors" with a rear-wheel drive.
    The overall cost is budgetted at Euro 1.0bn and they will develop their own platform.

Re: Panamera is officially launched

Yep, just read it on bloomberg. We all pretty much knew it was coming but 2009 seems a long way away.

(C) Porsche

Board Approves Four-Door Sports Coupe for 2009 Launch

Atlanta, July 27, 2005 -- The Supervisory Board and the Board of Management of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, gave their approval today for the development and production of another Porsche model line. To be called Panamera, the new car will be a premium-class sports coupe with four seats, four doors, and a choice of front-mounted engines driving the rear wheels.

Scheduled to enter the market in 2009, the Panamera will be the fourth model line from the Stuttgart carmaker following the 911(R), the Boxster(R) and the Cayenne(R). The new car's name is derived from the legendary Carrera Pan-americana long-distance race.

Production of the Panamera is to be in Leipzig, where Porsche already builds the Cayenne SUV and the Carrera GT(R) supercar. The final decision will require further detailed talks between the Board of Management of Porsche AG and the Management of Porsche Leipzig GmbH with representatives of the employees. Porsche's total in-vestment in the new model line, including development, will be more than Euro 1 billion and will come entirely from the company's own funds. Expected sales are at least 20,000 units a year.

"The Panamera is a perfect fit for Porsche," said Dr. Wendelin Wiedeking, the President and CEO of Porsche AG. "It has all the typical DNA charac-teristic of a ge-nuine sports car. In terms of performance, design, and driving dynamics, it meets Porsche's high standards in every respect. Through this sports coupe we are making our customers a highly attractive offer in the top performance segment."

Porsche will develop and build the Panamera using the com-pany's own resources. "We will be developing a separate platform for our fourth model line at our Weissach R&D center," said Wiedeking. "There are no plans for a joint venture with another car maker, but to ensure the profitability of this new model line we will cooperate more closely than so far with selected system suppliers."

Production of the Panamera in Leipzig would potentially create some 600 new jobs there. In the course of the project, approximately 400 more new jobs will be created at Porsche's original plant in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen, where the engines for the fourth model line will be built, and at the Weissach Development Center.

Like the 911, the Boxster and the Cay-enne, the Panamera will bear the "Made in Germany" stamp of quality. Domestic share of the Panamera's overall assembled value will be approximately 70 percent.

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga., and its subsidiary, Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd., are the exclusive importers of Porsche sports cars and Cayenne sport utility vehicles for the United States and Canada. A wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, PCNA employs approximately 300 people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service, marketing and training for its 208 U.S. and Canadian dealers. They, in turn, provide Porsche owners with best-in-class service.

Thanks EricAlain!

I really like the idea that they will develop their own platform. We had heard that before so this just helps confirm it.

I agree Gary, thats the best news of it all.

BMW is thinking too of developing a "CLS type "4-door sportcoupe as well.

I'm glad they're developing their own platform. Hopefully, it will be much lighter than some of the competitors. Maybe this is an oppotunity for Porsche's first aluminum spaceframe (to be used with the 998 also?)...

It's great news but over Euro 1.0bn for "at least 20,000 units" per year it's really expensive.
    Cayenne's development costs were around Euro 600m, and at that time they were planning on selling 25,000 units per year. For the Cayenne they also developped 2 V8 engines (S and TT).

So I thought it would cost them around the same amount to develop the Panamera .... more on the platform (no shared costs with a partner) and less (or basically zero) on engines....

Bottom line, if they spend Euro 1.0bn, the car will be outstanding .... and the price is also likely to be sky high ... which is bad news for us .... potential buyers.

Thats great stuff Eric, thanks for the economic perspective

Thank EricAlain . Good to see, where have you been hiding?

Isn't it funny how they refer to Panamera as their 4th model. I guess after all they realized Cayman is just another Boxster with hard top not a new line of product .

I'm very busy traveling like crazy. I'm right now in the office just for a few days....

Quote:
    EricAlain said:

Cayenne's development costs were around Euro 600m, and at that time they were planning on selling 25,000 units per year. For the Cayenne they also developped 2 V8 engines (S and TT).

So I thought it would cost them around the same amount to develop the Panamera .... more on the platform (no shared costs with a partner) and less (or basically zero) on engines....

I think the reason that the cost for Cayenne was not as high was the involvement of VW for the platform and the Engine was pretty much based on a modified version of AUDI RS6. So that was a lot of cost savings there.

I'm glad that they decided to do everythin in house, this will truely bear the name and heritage of Porsche .

Quote:
    EricAlain said:

I'm very busy traveling like crazy. I'm right now in the office just for a few days....

Well, we always appreciate you stopping by Rennteam when you have the chance. You always seem to have great insights.

From Carlos:
    Quote:
    I think the reason that the cost for Cayenne was not as high was the involvement of VW for the platform and the Engine was pretty much based on a modified version of AUDI RS6. So that was a lot of cost savings there.

This keeps being repeated and maybe there is some truth to it but I can't see how. The Audi V8 is a much more compact design with belt drive cams and 5 valve heads. The bore to bore spacing would not accomodate the Cayenne V8 pistons! I guess you could start with the Audi design, somehow enlarge the block (???), design new heads and cam drives and there you go. But after all that, what's left of the Audi design?

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Quote:
    EricAlain said:

Well, we always appreciate you stopping by Rennteam when you have the chance. You always seem to have great insights.

From Carlos:
    Quote:

This keeps being repeated and maybe there is some truth to it but I can't see how. The Audi V8 is a much more compact design with belt drive cams and 5 valve heads. The bore to bore spacing would not accomodate the Cayenne V8 pistons! I guess you could start with the Audi design, somehow enlarge the block (???), design new heads and cam drives and there you go. But after all that, what's left of the Audi design?

Hi Gary,

I'm sure the engine is not right out of AUDI RS6, they had to make some modifications. BTW, that's a great engine nothing negative about it. But from a very valid source I heard the the engine ECU (Program) is, if not identical, at least 90% the same as RS6 engine.
    I also heard that not two engines would have the same ECU, they're kind of like finger prints different from one another but in this case having at least 90% similarity in the ECU, to me, it indicates that Porsche took a lot from AUDI on the engine side.

As I said RS6 engine is probably one of the best engines out there. Hope my comment did not come across offensive to our Cayenne owners .

Too bad that the sketch provided does bear too many 911 characteristics. I hope they wont make the same mistake as with the cayenne and the boxster, namely, that they make it too much of a 911 spinn of... that results in strange things. Just make a new and beautiful looking car.
    -Joost-

It's beautiful:

Quote:
    As I said RS6 engine is probably one of the best engines out there. Hope my comment did not come across offensive to our Cayenne owners .

Not at all, I just don't understand it. Very clearly the heads are different (five valve versus four valve), because of the bore/piston size the block has to be different. From an engineering standpoint it seems impossible for these two engines to share 90% of their components.

Why is Panamera considered the 4th model, not 5th? I know Cayman is technically 987 C7S, so a derivative of Boxster, but is Carrera GT considered "911"? Or is CGT too exotic to be considered a model line

Quote:
    dy986 said:
    Or is CGT too exotic to be considered a model line

The Carrera GT is not a model line because it doesn't live on and on, with revisions, forever.

It's one and done.

This is great news, thanks for posting EricAlain.
    I'm also glad to hear that they will be developing their own platform. I hope it will be lighter than the platform they were thinking of using from the VW Phaeton. This way, buyers should be getting a lot more Porsche and a lot less VW/Audi.

...and the price range is supposed to be $125k to $175k from one article.

Yikes... $125+K ?

Well, then maybe I can get one in 2013 then, used and debugged by a few years

Thanks so much for the info on this thread.
    In my area this car is going to be a huge hit.
    It will be the ONE to own for all the guys buying 4 door Bimmers & Merc.'s.
    I know so many people that would love to buy a Porsche but need more room then the 911's and don't like the ride of an suv.
    Good for PORSCHE !

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    ...and the price range is supposed to be $125k to $175k from one article.

Ouch! That seems excessive, unless it's for the top-spec version with CGT's V10. For the n/a V8, I was hoping for a price less that an M5 ($80k) - maybe $70k and I thought the V8 Turbo might be around $100k...

So far they're only talking about V8's from the Cayenne, turbo and normally aspirated, but I'm kinda dreaming of a detuned CGT engine.

There seems to be a fair amount of infrastructure needed to get this car in production based on the reports I've read. This will require, I would assume, significant capital investment. Porsche has been very profitable, and this certainly seems to be a good move at the moment. However, an important factor in determining the success of this car will be the worldwide economic/energy condition when this vehicle is introduced 3-4 years from now. That's a chance I gather they feel is worth taking.

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    So far they're only talking about V8's from the Cayenne, turbo and normally aspirated, but I'm kinda dreaming of a detuned CGT engine.

I'm thinking that it shouldn't even be detuned. The AMG65 series of Benzes already has more power and torque. By 2009, 600hp may not even be enough to compete (or maybe we'll all be driving electric cars )

Quote:
    Grant said:
    By 2009, 600hp may not even be enough to compete (or maybe we'll all be driving electric cars )

Hey Grant, don't think you'll have retired to Florida and be driving a golf cart by 2009!

That all sounds perfect to me, except the Florida part (no curvy roads)

For $125K they would need a turbo V8. A n/a V8 for that money would almost be impossible to sell. I would expect it to be more expensive than the competition, but that would be pushing it, even for Porsche.
    I too hope we see the CGT V10 in the engine range.
    Grant, that's an excellent point. I read somewhere that we would be seeing over 630 hp out of the 65 series AMG cars very soon. Who knows what will happen by '09.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690593 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409848 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256064 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235292 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4715 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858508 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774780 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM