Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Noo Why do I always miss the only things that happen in

how about this one mike!?

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Features/article_1238.shtml

http://www.hudsonsoflondon.com/stock-detail.php?id=34

woah!

anyway mike ! what do you think of the song i sent you!?

check PM

Hey Mike S! Isnt it too dangerous to drive all these cars around in South Africa ? I was just wondering cuz im going for a two week tour all around cape town and johnsperg (sorry about the spelling). People are warning me and stuff, do i really have to take caution or its all BS? And let me know about the happening places there cuz i sure dont wana miss them!

btw the spelling is Johannesburg

Well, depends where you drive them. I keep away from the areas where I know is not safe, especially at night. Here are some pointers to surviving in SA

1) Always be on the lookout for anybody walking towards your car at a stop street/traffic light, doesn't matter if it's day or night. Chances are they're going to smash out your window and steal what ever is lying on your seat.

2) DO NOT speak to strangers(I know this sounds something you say to a 7 year old) but I'm serious, even if they're asking for directions and look friendly, it's just a deception. Just say you don't know and get the hell out of there, my one friend's kid got kidnapped like that.

3) Stick to areas that are normally made out for tourism, it's pretty safe there.

4) Should anything happen, don't bother calling the police, they're not gonna come. Call your hotel or relative or someone you know.

NB: These rules apply to the city, if you're out in the middle of no where it's pretty safe there, the country side is very more relaxed and aren't hostile like the average person in the city.

Other than that South Africa is a blast

What do you want to do in SA? Sight seeing? Clubbin etc. ? I too much to do for me to mention on 1 post

yea i heard a doughter of my mother's friend got kidnapped too from school or someting like friend's house party!? but she is save after all!

yea stay away from city center , what every ,where every u stop a traffic light ,put on first gear ready to run

Thats Funny Mike S... for a second there I was thinking you were talking about Oakland California... hehehe no pun intended to Oak town OG's... I'm actually a raider fan

Quote:
    tooner said:
    Thats Funny Mike S... for a second there I was thinking you were talking about Oakland California... hehehe no pun intended to Oak town OG's... I'm actually a raider fan

GO RAIDERS!!!! Fan since 1976...

You guys may have all the cool cars over there but your security and way of life is for sh$#%#ts. I would not want to have to live my life like that all the time worring about all that BS. We Statesiders have it real nice, lets hope we can hold on to our way of life for a while

Wow seems pretty dangerous and scary too! Man im seriously having second thoughts about SA. Well, I think ill be more interested in sigh scences Mike. Do you have any theme parks in SA? (Other than the safari parks you have) I dont mind going clubbin but is it safe? Im thinking more like a trance music club in cape town, any thoughts?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    tooner said:

NINERS all the way baby!...in about 5 years. Fan since I was 8 ('69).

Mike, sounds like very good advice for quite a few cities/areas in the the USA too- unfortunately. Is it legal to pack a gun in SA?

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    tooner said:

SVNSVN - It's Cool man we know the 9'ers went through lot... 5 years is about right

Until then.... HERE WE GO RAIDERS... HERE WE GO!

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    tooner said:

GO NINERS!!!! Fan since 1981... They have the QB this year.

Yeah, tooner! The Raiders WERE my second team I pulled for until Al Davis started jacking the fans around. I went to the same High School as the Mad Bomber! My parents went to school with Tom Flores. I still have some Raider paraphernalia around! Raider and Niner roots are deep in the Central Valley.

SoCal Alan,
    And a real coach too- I believe! OK, perhaps only 3 years before they're back where they belong!

My ENTIRE FAMILY loves the NInErs... I do too. But when the raiders came back to the bay i just could not resist the SILVER AND BLACK!

I'm so bored this time of year when the NBA ends and no Football yet ... good thing we can always go for a drive...

JUST DRIVE BABY

Quote:
    porsche nut said:
    You guys may have all the cool cars over there but your security and way of life is for sh$#%#ts. I would not want to have to live my life like that all the time worring about all that BS. We Statesiders have it real nice, lets hope we can hold on to our way of life for a while

trust me i don't either, but the enviroment isn't going to change because you want it to, you just got to learn to adapt and appreciate that you can live so relaxed it's not that bad, like i said just gotta keep and eye out and stay away from places that are known for bad stuff to happen.

Quote:
    kickdown said:
    Wow seems pretty dangerous and scary too! Man im seriously having second thoughts about SA. Well, I think ill be more interested in sigh scences Mike. Do you have any theme parks in SA? (Other than the safari parks you have) I dont mind going clubbin but is it safe? Im thinking more like a trance music club in cape town, any thoughts?

don't let me put you off it's really not that bad, those are just some pointers, every place has it's good and it's bad and most tourists won't know them. think of me as giving you a head start

*laughs* our theme parks are pretty (insert word). there's a couple rides but you get bored quick in Cape Town there's Ratanga Junction(not really recommended) and in Johannesburg there's Gold Reef City(which is ok...) other than that no theme parks

clubbing, hmmm depends which one, you thinking about cape town or Jhb?

You guys are getting the wrong impression.....

its not like when your driving here you have to be 100%focussed all the time looking for crminals....

stick to the right places, and you'll probably be safe.. its that way all around the world...
    theres a chance that you may be hijacked all around wherever you are around the world....just stick to the right areas and you SHOULD be safe...

kickdown, for clubbin you HAVE to make a turn here in CT....
    of all the places ive been around SA the nightlife in CT is head and shoulders above the rest...IMO.
    it is quite safe as long as you stick to the right places..
    I know its kinda wromg to say this, but just to be safe, stick to the more upmarket, pricier places.. Long Street is good..& all the places along camps bay...eg Eclipse. One thing you have to do... go for sundowners at one of the cafe's along camps bay.. best sunset you''l ever see...

BTW Mike, +- R 9 000 000 for a Pagani, NEVER...
    another thing, did u see 1 [censored] won R 20 000 000 in da lotto sat?? lucky bastard

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    another thing, did u see 1 [censored] won R 20 000 000 in da lotto sat?? lucky bastard

it should be around that price for a zonda, if you take our import tax etc. if it's R6,500,000(just under a million dollars) for a CGT here and it costs $450,000 for one in the US, that directly converted is about R2,900,000

so if a zonda costs $650,000(about R4,900,000) in the US, taking the x2 ratio for price from the CGT and applying it to the zonda it would be around R9,000,000 for the zonda. so u stand corrected

and i don't watch the lotto, but i'm glad for the guy!

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:

R9,000,000 for the zonda. so u stand corrected

!

I didnt mean it that way, MikeS... i meant it as in i'll never spend that much on a Zonda... Its a great car, but just not worth that price, IMO...

BTW... i cnt agree with you more about working for your money...
    Its much better when, if, for eg, you buy a Pcar, and you think to yourself... i know i deserve this, than to think: man, i got this by luck... know what i mean?

After dreaming of moving to SA one day, I start to have doubts,
    Maybe I'm just a sissy living in such a safe place I don't know, but I just couldn't live with watching my back all the time,

@Mike, is it completely safe where you live? Never afraid for homejackings with so many exotics in your garage

uk and usa = look out for terrorists attack !?
    so far i am in uk almost three years, but i prefer south africa much safer then living in uk . as everybody know uk and usa has lots of yourth problem .guns crime also , it just didnt report to the news as they tread as the small cast

@BC997J : ooooh i misunderstood, my apologies, but do you not agree with me that the zonda will cost R9,000,000 here?

@Porker: It's not all that bad, you get used to it! About the home jacking's, yes I had one in February, 5 armed men broke into my house and held me and my family hostage, but it happened, and i'm not going to change my way of life because if some scum. I've taken measures to prevent it from happening again, and if they come back I'll be ready
    If I may ask, why do you dream of moving here? What did you see that was so attractive? Just curious.

No, mike... I dont disagree about how much the Zonda will be here.. that car is VERY pricey...R 9000000 is a HUGE ammount of $$ to pay for a car that prob only 20% of the people will know the name of, here in SA....

Thats unfortunate about you and your family, mike...ur lucky u guys got out OK (i assume)

yeah my dad went to hosiptal for a few weeks but other than that we're ok, like i said that's in the past now, no worries

Mike if they break into your home can you protect yourself ( shoot them )? It is legal here if they are in your home to protect yourself. I understand that you may not have had the opportunity last time, but I would not give them a second chance here.

Mike, I agree!
    Awesome attitude/ spirit Man!!!

I'm very glad to hear everyone made it out relatively OK.

Take care!

Quote:
    dan996 said:
    Mike if they break into your home can you protect yourself ( shoot them )? It is legal here if they are in your home to protect yourself. I understand that you may not have had the opportunity last time, but I would not give them a second chance here.

you can only open fire once open fired upon, our laws are really stupid and they protect the criminals more than the civilians. plus there isn't a death penalty here and the police are really bad(they took 2 hours to respond to a distress call), so the criminals do what they want

thanks SVNSVN

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    dan996 said:

you can only open fire once open fired upon, our laws are really stupid and they protect the criminals more than the civilians. plus there isn't a death penalty here and the police are really bad(they took 2 hours to respond to a distress call), so the criminals do what they want

thanks SVNSVN

Unbelievable! I'm sure it's a beautiful country and all but that's insane. So if someone were to try to rape your wife in your own home and you had a gun, you couldn't do anything about it?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753826 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431030 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258743 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255603 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79631 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868575 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802313 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM