Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Macan EV

Time to post something at the Macan board!

Looks like the Macan EV is going to be delayed agian:

https://techcrunch.com/2023/10/30/layoffs-at-vws-cariad-further-delay-software-launch-in-porsche-audi-models/

I do not know whats going on at Porsche?VW. The present Cayenne is still not delivered to customers at full speed since they are waiting on a part which has to be exchanged before delivering the car to customers. Lets not start about the Taycan. Good car but man soo many issues.

Re: Macan EV

JR-550:

Time to post something at the Macan board!

Looks like the Macan EV is going to be delayed agian:

https://techcrunch.com/2023/10/30/layoffs-at-vws-cariad-further-delay-software-launch-in-porsche-audi-models/

I do not know whats going on at Porsche?VW. The present Cayenne is still not delivered to customers at full speed since they are waiting on a part which has to be exchanged before delivering the car to customers. Lets not start about the Taycan. Good car but man soo many issues.

It is very difficult for VW to find the right direction it seems and I do not blame them.

All manufacturers seem to struggle with EV sales right now but I actually think that this is more than EVs, it is the whole car industry per se. How do they expect buyers to make the "right" choice if nobody really knows what the future will bring? We are all told that EVs are the future but then, there are again doubts...so...very very difficult for regular consumers. 

What I see right now: People are leasing relatively cheap EVs but people are very cautious when it comes to buying. 
    Will be interesting to see how the markets develop and where they are going to move to...

Prices are dropping, this is all I can see.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

The problem with EVs is that the governments THINK they are for everyone. They are NOT. 

Not everyone needs a pickup or a sports car, or an EV for that matter.

It is perfect fro a subset of consumers only. It is also completely unusable for another subset of consumers. 

Let the market decide for themselves how many and how quickly they want EVs.

--

Out of Spec posted a hour long video on the Macan EV yesterday evening too. https://youtu.be/RDT_RRdjYVQ?si=ePtj_A4w4IV7ZCdO  

They are going to sell more than what they can make...

Carlos from Spain:

For several markets including China and the EU, yes.  For other markets including the U.S. that’s doubtful as luxury EVs are stacking up in dealer lots.  Incentives for most EVs here, at the Federal level, do not include EVs over $80,000 did SUVs and $55,000 for EV cars. https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/taxes/ev-tax-credit-electric-vehicle-tax-credit#:~:text=The%20tax%20benefit%2C%20which%20was,sale%20price%2C%20for%20used%20EVs.

CGX car nut:
    Carlos from Spain:

For several markets including China and the EU, yes.  For other markets including the U.S. that’s doubtful as luxury EVs are stacking up in dealer lots.  Incentives for most EVs here, at the Federal level, do not include EVs over $80,000 did SUVs and $55,000 for EV cars. https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/taxes/ev-tax-credit-electric-vehicle-tax-credit#:~:text=The%20tax%20benefit%2C%20which%20was,sale%20price%2C%20for%20used%20EVs.

If it gets enough real life range it will sell without need of any incentives, just like the ICE Macan did until now, except this will sell even better, there is no real competition for this car and opens up a barely tapped market full of ICE premium German med-SUV owners who will gladly switch to an EV SUV... as long as it has more than enough range. I don't think they will be able to keep up with demand imo.

Since Porsche will still be making the regular Macans in addition to the EV Macan, the real competition is itself. Provided that Porsche doesn't face lift the current Macan, this new EV one looks better inside and out, that's a big plus. I suspect it will cost more than a comparable regular Macan though so that will be a negative.
    --

Carlos from Spain:
    CGX car nut:
    Carlos from Spain:

If it gets enough real life range it will sell without need of any incentives, just like the ICE Macan did until now, except this will sell even better, there is no real competition for this car and opens up a barely tapped market full of ICE premium German med-SUV owners who will gladly switch to an EV SUV... as long as it has more than enough range. I don't think they will be able to keep up with demand imo.

More importantly can the German electrical grid handle the migration to more and more EVs?  

CGX car nut:
    Carlos from Spain:
    CGX car nut:
    Carlos from Spain:

More importantly can the German electrical grid handle the migration to more and more EVs?  

I don't think any country can to be honest. Half the charging points in Spain are not hooked up yet to the grid for this reason...

Carlos from Spain:

If it gets enough real life range it will sell without need of any incentives, just like the ICE Macan did until now, except this will sell even better, there is no real competition for this car and opens up a barely tapped market full of ICE premium German med-SUV owners who will gladly switch to an EV SUV... as long as it has more than enough range. I don't think they will be able to keep up with demand imo

There's Audi, the ugly BMW (or two?) and amorphous Mercedes, how are they selling after the initial surge?  I imagine the marketing guys are pretty worried about the electric selling proposition.  The Macan is the bread and butter and, at least from my weekend dealer visits, seems to sell to younger second wives with new toddlers.  I love this board, but we're not at all representative of the company's revenue.

Just about anywhere on Earth, their electric grid will need to be upgraded in order to support the 'projected' EV sales. That will take 20-50 years. If everyone do the charge overnight thing every day, that means hundreds of thousands if not millions of EV will be hooked to the grid every day. And this is just for charging at home at slow speed. The quick chargers along roads will need even more current and infrastructure upgrade. I raised this issue many years ago yet it's been dismissed by some the Tesla crowd as non-issue. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    --

CGX car nut:  Incentives for most EVs here, at the Federal level, do not include EVs over $80,000 did SUVs and $55,000 for EV cars. https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/taxes/ev-tax-credit-electric-vehicle-tax-credit#:~:text=The%20tax%20benefit%2C%20which%20was,sale%20price%2C%20for%20used%20EVs.

Final assembly has to be in N America also (big boost for Tesla)

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.9L Twin-Plug MFI Carbon Fiber replica. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi, 06 EVO9 with track mods

This a regulation I was not familiar with before reading this article. https://www.motor1.com/news/700964/porsche-macan-gasoline-discontinued-eu/ 

Whoopsy:
    Just about anywhere on Earth, their electric grid will need to be upgraded in order to support the 'projected' EV sales. That will take 20-50 years. If everyone do the charge overnight thing every day, that means hundreds of thousands if not millions of EV will be hooked to the grid every day. And this is just for charging at home at slow speed. The quick chargers along roads will need even more current and infrastructure upgrade. I raised this issue many years ago yet it's been dismissed by some the Tesla crowd as non-issue. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Charging at home puts the least strain on the system since it is done off peak. It may add around $10 per month to the bill if I drive 1000 miles in a month.  With more and more EVs supporting bi directional charging the grid is made much more robust as each car turns into an off peak storage device and an on peak virtual power plant. 
    These facts are generally dismissed by some who know much better, for inexplicable reasons. The rest of us are putting on solar panels for our cyber trucks to charge and run our homes.  20-50 years. lol. We have a battery shortage, that’s about it. Oh, and non Tesla EVs are not popular and overpriced hence the hilarious narrative that EVs are not selling. Like the fat girl complaining no one wants to dance 💃 or have sex with women. 
    back to basics - 
    Do you think bi directional charging, solar panels and off peak rates will make the grid more robust or less?  Will it drive the cost of electric power down for all of us or will the cost of power go down on its own?  Hmmm. 
    I predict more and more people will be off the grid as we know it today or contributing power to it net. Give it 20-50 years. lol. 
    Merry Christmas everyone! 

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:

Charging at home puts the least strain on the system since it is done off peak. It may add around $10 per month to the bill if I drive 1000 miles in a month.  With more and more EVs supporting bi directional charging the grid is made much more robust as each car turns into an off peak storage device and an on peak virtual power plant. 
    These facts are generally dismissed by some who know much better, for inexplicable reasons. The rest of us are putting on solar panels for our cyber trucks to charge and run our homes.  20-50 years. lol. We have a battery shortage, that’s about it. Oh, and non Tesla EVs are not popular and overpriced hence the hilarious narrative that EVs are not selling. Like the fat girl complaining no one wants to dance 💃 or have sex with women. 
    back to basics - 
    Do you think bi directional charging, solar panels and off peak rates will make the grid more robust or less?  Will it drive the cost of electric power down for all of us or will the cost of power go down on its own?  Hmmm. 
    I predict more and more people will be off the grid as we know it today or contributing power to it net. Give it 20-50 years. lol. 
    Merry Christmas everyone! 

One again, you are putting the horse behind the carriage. If everyone charge at home, that means every home is drawing electricity from the grid, which is why the grid need upgrading. And the majority of people who own cars do not have access to their own charger in their own garage. It's a privilege for the minority that lives in detached homes. And that 'bi-directional' thingy? Sure it adds power back into the grid, but that is the same strain on the grid as pulling power from it, putting the grid as the choke point. And then there is the climate, not every city in the world have access to loads of solar for solar panels, you are the lucky few that can do it all at home. Batteries are expensive and heavy, so why lug around a big pack when one isn't using all of it? If car chargers are as petty as gas stations, there won't be a need for big batteries in car, and the same amount of battery in one car could be used to make 2-3 cars. Making them cheaper and lighter.
    --

270kW DC fast charging, so about 350A @800V, 240kW brake regen, >500km range, >450kW of power, >1000NM of torque. 100kWh battery with 95% usable. <4 second 0-100km/hr.

Oh, and over 3.5million test kms driven.

For those that didn't want to watch the whole thing. 

--

Whoopsy:

270kW DC fast charging, so about 350A @800V, 240kW brake regen, >500km range, >450kW of power, >1000NM of torque. 100kWh battery with 95% usable. <4 second 0-100km/hr.

That thing with a nice sounding n/a V8 and 500 hp and I'd buy it in a second... SmileySmiley 

I guess the more I see stuff about the new Macan EV and the EQG (Mercedes), the more I want that Land Rover Defender 90 V8. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Can’t wait for the Porsche Macan Miele Edition!

RC:
    Whoopsy:

That thing with a nice sounding n/a V8 and 500 hp and I'd buy it in a second... SmileySmiley 

I guess the more I see stuff about the new Macan EV and the EQG (Mercedes), the more I want that Land Rover Defender 90 V8. Smiley 

It's why EVs are just transportation devices. They are good for going to point A and maybe point B then back repeatedly every day. Daily commute to and from work? Perfect. Daily school runs? Perfect. Grocery shoppings and errands runs? Perfect.

Porsche will sell a while lot of Macan EVs cause that's what the current Macans are used for. Outside of the Korean offerings which are in the lower price bracket, they only really need to compete against the Audi offerings and The Mercedes EQE, which is half a size bigger however. 

You want something with a soul. I get it. One reason I loved my Panamera turbo S so much, it has the best of both worlds as a hybrid. economical daily commute in electric mode? Checked. That lovely V8 rumble? Checked. Amazing range is just a bonus on top. 

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

It's why EVs are just transportation devices. They are good for going to point A and maybe point B then back repeatedly every day. Daily commute to and from work? Perfect. Daily school runs? Perfect. Grocery shoppings and errands runs? Perfect.

Porsche will sell a while lot of Macan EVs cause that's what the current Macans are used for. Outside of the Korean offerings which are in the lower price bracket, they only really need to compete against the Audi offerings and The Mercedes EQE, which is half a size bigger however. 

You want something with a soul. I get it. One reason I loved my Panamera turbo S so much, it has the best of both worlds as a hybrid. economical daily commute in electric mode? Checked. That lovely V8 rumble? Checked. Amazing range is just a bonus on top. 

Very well said. With a soul... SmileySmiley

Got offered a new (registered in 2020 but never driven) Cayenne Turbo S E-Hybrid for 140k EUR.

Not sure I remember the exhaust sound correctly though... YouTube videos aren't really telling much.

--

Out of Spec does a range test of the new Macan EV in California.  https://youtu.be/ab1AIGLpd_0?si=-QMrbRig5q6IA7eX

RC:

Very well said. With a soul... SmileySmiley

Got offered a new (registered in 2020 but never driven) Cayenne Turbo S E-Hybrid for 140k EUR.

Not sure I remember the exhaust sound correctly though... YouTube videos aren't really telling much.

My Cayenne Turbo (coupe) sounds lovely with the sport exhaust! Smiley - I expect the turbo S to sound the same with the same sport exhaust!

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Cayenne Coupe Turbo 2020

January 25th debut date for the Macan EV.  

Macan turbo - 630bhp, 834lb-ft, 3.3 0-60

Macan 4 - up to 380miles of range.

--

At what weight? 6,500 pounds for the Macan Turbo?

CGX car nut:

At what weight? 6,500 pounds for the Macan Turbo?

Macan Turbo at 6500 pounds?  Smiley More like 5500 pounds, maybe a tad less.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778691 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442156 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263026 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261308 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85556 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5767 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880991 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817010 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM