Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: GT4RS

I did a track day in Dijon two weeks ago. Dave was there too and a friend with his high optioned GT3 RS (full interior leather, not one bit of plastic, PTS ( a grey form Lamborghini) , outside back lid and side intakes painted from factor in black  etc.... ) 

DSC06189.jpg

DSC06441.jpg

1698129680032DSC06725 2.jpg

DSC06728 2.jpg

DSC06660.jpg

DSC06635.jpg

Looks fun Gnil!

still waiting for mine…latest update is Nov 15 completion end of year delivery

Awesome action photos!  driver.gif  wink

Very nicekiss

Blueflame

Dijon, such good memories. Very jealous.

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2022 BMW M5 CS

How do you like the car on track?

Looks like great fun. 

Did they have any Grey Poupon? indecision 

Enmanuel:

Did you hear about the mustard shortage in France ? In 2021,2022 you could hardly  find any Grey Poupou or other Dijon mustard in the French supermarkets because there was no stock. Conspiracy theories talked about government doing it to irritate the people or supermarkets hiding huge stocks in basements to make price rise etc....  The strange thing was that we in Switzerland , just across the border, never had any shortage. As much Grey Poupon as you want over here. The french were buying it in Switzerland.Smiley

Gnil:
    Enmanuel:

Did you hear about the mustard shortage in France ? In 2021,2022 you could hardly  find any Grey Poupou or other Dijon mustard in the French supermarkets because there was no stock. Conspiracy theories talked about government doing it to irritate the people or supermarkets hiding huge stocks in basements to make price rise etc....  The strange thing was that we in Switzerland , just across the border, never had any shortage. As much Grey Poupon as you want over here. The french were buying it in Switzerland.Smiley

That's hilarious, I've never noticed a shortage in the US. The current food item shortage I'm having is for Chartreuse, those monks are not willing to play ball. 

Gauss:

I am now accustomed to the center engine dynamics. The car is very neutral and sits nicely on the track. I still need to explore / feel a bit more the point where the car looses grip. Often with the 4 wheels at the same time. Not as predictable to me as on the GT3 RS and probably snaps more. The limit line is more narrow. 

I do like it on track as the car is loud and lively, giving lots of sensations, even more so then the GT3 RS. But I can not be as quick as the GT3RS, loosing a meter or two in many corners as lateral grip is a bit less. I still probably need to gain more confidence in the entry speed. Too used to ''enter slow, exit fast'' and need to ''enter fast''. 

I am a bit upset with MR that they don't offer anymore the ''mod'' on the front suspension for more camber. I definitely could do with more. 

Overall I am very happy with the way the car is on track even if slightly slower then the GT3RS

Enmanuel:
    Gnil:
    Enmanuel:

That's hilarious, I've never noticed a shortage in the US. The current food item shortage I'm having is for Chartreuse, those monks are not willing to play ball. 

Better not to drink too much of that stuff Smiley

Gnil:
    Gauss:

I am now accustomed to the center engine dynamics. The car is very neutral and sits nicely on the track. I still need to explore / feel a bit more the point where the car looses grip. Often with the 4 wheels at the same time. Not as predictable to me as on the GT3 RS and probably snaps more. The limit line is more narrow. 

I do like it on track as the car is loud and lively, giving lots of sensations, even more so then the GT3 RS. But I can not be as quick as the GT3RS, loosing a meter or two in many corners as lateral grip is a bit less. I still probably need to gain more confidence in the entry speed. Too used to ''enter slow, exit fast'' and need to ''enter fast''. 

I am a bit upset with MR that they don't offer anymore the ''mod'' on the front suspension for more camber. I definitely could do with more. 

Overall I am very happy with the way the car is on track even if slightly slower then the GT3RS

Thanks. I share the exact thoughts and opinion about the car, and Manthey Smiley 

Smiley

Gnil:
    Gauss:

I had the GT4RS at a Porsche Club track-day/driver-ed event a few weeks ago at Mid-Ohio.  After fiddling with the cold tire pressures to keep the hot pressures down to 32-33 psi, the car felt really good and seemed to hook up while accelerating out of corners.  Before the tire pressure adjustments, the rear tires would heat up to 39-40 psi and I began to think I was driving my old Carrera GT because of the "trying to kill me" oversteer that snuck up on me as my lap times began to improve.  After the tires were put right, all was very well.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 992 Dakar + 992 GT3 Touring + Taycan GTS ST + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

W8MM:

I had the GT4RS at a Porsche Club track-day/driver-ed event a few weeks ago at Mid-Ohio.  After fiddling with the cold tire pressures to keep the hot pressures down to 32-33 psi, the car felt really good and seemed to hook up while accelerating out of corners.  Before the tire pressure adjustments, the rear tires would heat up to 39-40 psi and I began to think I was driving my old Carrera GT because of the "trying to kill me" oversteer that snuck up on me as my lap times began to improve.  After the tires were put right, all was very well.

I even run them a bit lower. Best for me is around 30-32 psi. 

How do you like the car overall ?

Gnil:

Gnil,

I do like the car very much.  I purchased it as a family-bonding, track-day car to have fun with my daughter and her husband.  It serves that purpose very well.  It's also fun to drive on the USA equivalent to British "B-roads" and feels a bit narrower than a GT3 when driven on them.  Since everybody in the family wants to be maximally safe when having track fun, we're having an aftermarket half-cage installed.  If we lived someplace outside of North America, we would have ordered the factory cage from the beginning.

When transiting from home to track, the intake/exhaust sound level is a bit wearing if driven with gusto.  If one keeps closer to the speed limit on major highways without using much throttle, it's not bad at all.  Of course a helmet with integrated comms ear cups makes it no issue while on track.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 992 Dakar + 992 GT3 Touring + Taycan GTS ST + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

Any first hand advise for me here…I‘m still not sure.

991.1 GT3RS or 718 GT4RS? (991.2 GT3RS is out of budget)

Almost only Track, Autobahn and alpine roads.

Thanks for your help.

Blueflame

If your track time is the most among the split, get the .1 3RS. You should be enjoying the 3RS on track better than the 4RS. Takes a bit more skill to drive the 4RS quick on track as it's mid engined, you are used to rear engine dynamics.

If you spend the most time on alpine roads, 4RS and that's not even close for the 3RS for 2nd place. 

Autobahn, well that depends on your travel speed  Run super fast and the 4RS do get loud...........

--

The cabin in the 4RS feels a bit more snug compared to the GT3. Additionally, if you've been driving a 991 GT3 Touring for a few years, the Cayman's interior would offer something new and different. 

W8MM:
    Gnil:

Gnil,

I do like the car very much.  I purchased it as a family-bonding, track-day car to have fun with my daughter and her husband.  It serves that purpose very well.  It's also fun to drive on the USA equivalent to British "B-roads" and feels a bit narrower than a GT3 when driven on them.  Since everybody in the family wants to be maximally safe when having track fun, we're having an aftermarket half-cage installed.  If we lived someplace outside of North America, we would have ordered the factory cage from the beginning.

When transiting from home to track, the intake/exhaust sound level is a bit wearing if driven with gusto.  If one keeps closer to the speed limit on major highways without using much throttle, it's not bad at all.  Of course a helmet with integrated comms ear cups makes it no issue while on track.

--

Mike

You bought a GT4 RS to bond with your daughter and her husband? I got socks from my parents-in-law. Smiley

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2022 BMW M5 CS

Porker:

You bought a GT4 RS to bond with your daughter and her husband? I got socks from my parents-in-law. Smiley

Haha I thought exactly the same. I got honey mail I will teach my kids to do it smarter indecision

blueflame:

Thanks for your help.

Blueflame

I owned a 991.1 GT3RS and now the GT4RS.

If what matters the most is lap time, then get the 3RS

If passing the most other cars on the track is what rocks your boat, get the 3RS

If what is the most important is ''event'' inside the cabin and a lively chassis get the 4RS

The other day on the track, I switched from my 4RS to the 3RS, and as soon as I was in the 3RS it felt ''tamed'' and so much calmer . 

If you want novelty get the 4RS

If you want never to be bored and actually have a smile each time you drive country or mountain roads, get the 4RS 

The 3RS, as your touring, can get boring on public roads when driven within speed limits. Not the 4RS as the noise inside the cabin and the nervous chassis provides emotions and entertainment in any situations.

On highways, it is about the same, just the 4RS will be much louder inside the cabin. Earplugs are a must over 140 km/h

As you are used to rear engine, changing to the 4RS will be challenging until you get the new dynamics. Harder to drive well on the limit. But very nice on mountain or tight roads. 

4RS is one of it's kind. It will never happen again, unless Porsche keeps petrol engine in the next generation Cayman. 

If you want a pretty car, or you like bigger cars, get the 3RS Smiley

Josef:
    Porker:

Haha I thought exactly the same. I got honey mail I will teach my kids to do it smarter indecision

I got ...  nothing Smiley

W8MM:

When transiting from home to track, the intake/exhaust sound level is a bit wearing if driven with gusto.  If one keeps closer to the speed limit on major highways without using much throttle, it's not bad at all. 
    --

Mike

I use earplugs on the highways. As you say, the sound can be monitored by the throttle input, but above 140 km/h, it is not really possible anymore. 

Thank to all for your valuable tips.kiss

I´m already used to midengined cars, after several Boxsters, Lotus, Boxster Spyder and Shifter Karts...smiley.

So let´s see how the market develops in the next two months - right now I could get in Germany a nice 991.1 GTRS for the same money a a new GT4 RS stripper without Weissach Paket - an early 992 GT3 is also in the same range, but I don´t want this car.

IMO the prices will further go down and I will buy at the end of december 2023.

Thanks again for your help

Blueflame

Prices over here for ''new'' second hand 4RS have dropped by 10% since the beginning of summer. They are still sold over official price but I also think prices will drop some more over the coming month. 

Prices of 991.2 GT3RS stay high. I wonder if that has not something to do with not enough people actually wanting ( or not have the possibility ? )  to by the 992 3RS ?

Keep up updated on the choice you will make .

blueflame:

Thank to all for your valuable tips.kiss

I´m already used to midengined cars, after several Boxsters, Lotus, Boxster Spyder and Shifter Karts...smiley.

So let´s see how the market develops in the next two months - right now I could get in Germany a nice 991.1 GTRS for the same money a a new GT4 RS stripper without Weissach Paket - an early 992 GT3 is also in the same range, but I don´t want this car.

IMO the prices will further go down and I will buy at the end of december 2023.

Thanks again for your help

Blueflame

I investigated the Weissach package and found it to be entirely cosmetic with no effect on performance or driving feel.

--

Mike

Gnil:
    blueflame:

Thanks for your help.

Blueflame

I owned a 991.1 GT3RS and now the GT4RS.

If what matters the most is lap time, then get the 3RS

If passing the most other cars on the track is what rocks your boat, get the 3RS

If what is the most important is ''event'' inside the cabin and a lively chassis get the 4RS

The other day on the track, I switched from my 4RS to the 3RS, and as soon as I was in the 3RS it felt ''tamed'' and so much calmer . 

If you want novelty get the 4RS

If you want never to be bored and actually have a smile each time you drive country or mountain roads, get the 4RS 

The 3RS, as your touring, can get boring on public roads when driven within speed limits. Not the 4RS as the noise inside the cabin and the nervous chassis provides emotions and entertainment in any situations.

On highways, it is about the same, just the 4RS will be much louder inside the cabin. Earplugs are a must over 140 km/h

As you are used to rear engine, changing to the 4RS will be challenging until you get the new dynamics. Harder to drive well on the limit. But very nice on mountain or tight roads. 

4RS is one of it's kind. It will never happen again, unless Porsche keeps petrol engine in the next generation Cayman. 

If you want a pretty car, or you like bigger cars, get the 3RS Smiley

Nice and considered summary!

Porker:

Smiley

Porsche finally completed my GT4RS. 4 months and 6 days to make a wing with a paint stripe. But at least it’s on the way now… I won’t take delivery until after New Yeas, but I am still excited to see it.

Congrats! wink

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.9L Twin-Plug MFI Carbon Fiber replica. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi, 06 EVO9 with track mods

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802491 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448325 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265880 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89889 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6367 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885259 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831770 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM