Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Corvette NBR record lap PICTURES!!

Thought this would be interesting to you all.
    Scanned from a recent issue of "Bilmagasinet" - danish car mag.
    Interview with Jan Magnussen about (among other things) his record lap at NBR.
    Here's a translation:

[Top pic, Magnussen and Vette:]
    Thursday morning, Southern Germany. General Motors have discreetly rented the legendary german Nürburgring track for an hour between 7 and 8 in the morning.
    The temperature is more comfortable than at Le Mans, and the track is empty apart from a couple of early rising spy photographers.
    It takes more than a blue Vette to exite them - they recognize it, it's the Z06 version, the brutal Vette with 500 BHP. What they do not know, is that it's Jan Magnussen behind the wheel.
    The objective is to beat Walther Rörhl's laptime in a Porsce GT3 RS - it's 7:43,0 min for the 20,8 km heavily varied track with 73 corners.
    The record was set in 2004 in a standard version of the Porsche.

[Splash in middle]
    Jan made 7:42,9 thereby beating the Porsche GT3 RS by 0,1 sec.

[Two lower photos]
    "The photo is taken at Flugplatz. I'm going 240-250 km/h at full throttle in 4th gear and the car is actually jumping twice: After the first jump it lands so hard that it takes off again, as you can see in the second picture. As it lands the second time I have to take a sharp right immediately after.
    The car is a standard car with street setup - had it been my racer it would hardly have left the tarmac. At NBR the street car reaches 295 km/h on the long straight in 5th gear (6th gear is an overgear for saving gasoline). At NBR there are no run-off areas like other tracks,. You simply have to stay on the track. When you are halfway around the 20 km, you think it's a good thing there are only half as many places left you risk running off the track" Jan says.

[About the track and the car]
    "The stree Corbette has virtually no grip compared to my race car which has a large rear spoiler. But it does have almost as many BHPs as my Le Mans racer and is almost as fast. The rev limiter sets in at 7000 rpms, and it does have more than 500 BHPs.
    It's fast.At the record attempt I drove 2 x 2 laps with a cooldown lap inbetween for both mine and the car's sake.
    I couldn't have driven one single lap more. I wouldn't have liked to drive a single meter (3 feet) more with myself at the wheel at that speed", Jan finishes.
    ::::

Ok, one comment from me:
    It strikes me that he keeps saying that this car has "more than 500 bhp" and "amost as many BHP as my Le Mans racer".
    His Le Mans car has 600 BHP, so I'm wondering if this car is a bit more pumped up than the standard version. Seems like he has a hard time not spilling the beans.

As impressive as the time is, I must also say that it seems like - judging from pics and Magnussen's own words- that the car was driven to its absolute max. Looks like it could just as easily have gone very,. very wrong.

No wonder when the car has no rear spoiler. Very strange someone would build a car with 500+ BHP and no downforce..???

Re: Corvette NBR record lap PICTURES!!

Not bad 120HP more than the outgoing 996GT3RS and a 0,1 sec advantage over a 20km lap, they sure showed Rorhl

Seriously, its a GM factory/marketing test... you can bet that Z06 was in "top shape"

From the pictures I gather it spent more time on the air than on the ground? ... looks like Magnussen pushed that Z06 seriously hard!

Yeah, to me it seems more and more like a PR stunt. Of course all factories use a good NBR laptime to market their product, no doubt, but this seems like a stretch.
    I would love to get some kinda authorized, confirmed official time on this attempt.
    At any rate, well done GM and Magnussen.
    Dont think very many people would find this laptime interesting considering how hard and almost-over-the-limit the car had to be driven.
    Looks more like proof of Jan Magnussens abilities and the cars unstable nature than proof of how fast and poised it is.

That's a serious jump! Looks like they need to fit some aero parts and maybe remove those run-flats.

- J

Quote:
    Jan made 7:42,9 thereby beating the Porsche GT3 RS by 0,1 sec.

How convenient

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Not bad 120HP more than the outgoing 996GT3RS and a 0,1 sec advantage over a 20km lap, they sure showed Rorhl

Carlos, let's not forget that the GT3RS comes with track tires and the Z06 comes with run-flats...

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:Ok, one comment from me:
    It strikes me that he keeps saying that this car has "more than 500 bhp" and "amost as many BHP as my Le Mans racer".
    His Le Mans car has 600 BHP, so I'm wondering if this car is a bit more pumped up than the standard version. Seems like he has a hard time not spilling the beans.

The stock Z06 has 505hp, so it makes sense that he would say "more" than 500hp...

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Looks more like proof of Jan Magnussens abilities and the cars unstable nature than proof of how fast and poised it is.

You might be right, but have you ever seen footage from the Formula One races there in the 70's? Those cars used to get ALOT of air, even with large front and rear wings. I watched Jackie Stewart go flying through the air while he destroyed the field in some old footage recently - very cool!!!

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:Ok, one comment from me:

The stock Z06 has 505hp, so it makes sense that he would say "more" than 500hp...

I was more worried by his repetition of that fact, and his mentioning "almost as many BHPs as my Le Mans racer..".
    505 bhp isn't exactly "almost as many" as 600 bhp in my book.

Maybe the poor fella is just confused, but it sure sounds like he said more than he should have

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Carlos, let's not forget that the GT3RS comes with track tires and the Z06 comes with run-flats...

what? you mean those olde slippery and hard P-Corsa tires??

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

You might be right, but have you ever seen footage from the Formula One races there in the 70's? Those cars used to get ALOT of air, even with large front and rear wings. I watched Jackie Stewart go flying through the air while he destroyed the field in some old footage recently - very cool!!!

Yeah, cool ideed
    Might have been commonplace back then, but nowadays only sub-par hi-performance sporstcars spend much time in the air like this.

This car clearly needs a rear wing or lip.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Seriously, its a GM factory/marketing test... you can bet that Z06 was in "top shape"

From the pictures I gather it spent more time on the air than on the ground? ... looks like Magnussen pushed that Z06 seriously hard!

You guys really need envy in your posts.

The Z06 did really well for a 65K street car on run flat street tires and no rear wing.

Corvette rents the ring for one hour to let Magnussen
    attempt a record run and you crap all over yourselves.

Does Walter Rohrl drive thru traffic dodging Opels and Fiats in a beater press car to set his times? I dont think
    so. Why does he set those times? Why does Porsche mention them in their marketing? Is it ok for Porsche to mention lap times? .....Love your double standards.

Google katech and Z06, learn something about 427cu engine outputs. Their street engines are very close to thier FIA racer engines. Its fact, not fiction.

Any knowledgeable person knows that Porsche has decades of high speed R&D testing, and that Corvette only recently got serious about it. So let them learn. Big deal, get over it.

You could do something decent, like Fed Ex GM a rear wing from a Opel Ascona

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

Yeah, cool ideed
    Might have been commonplace back then, but nowadays only sub-par hi-performance sporstcars spend much time in the air like this.

This car clearly needs a rear wing or lip.

I hear what you're saying, but I bet the GT3 gets air there too (maybe not on the rebound bounce though - that sounds sort of lame).

Grant, if the GT3 is getting air there, I dont think its that much air ....

Maybe Corvette should get additional certifications from the FAA for 'Ring use.

Unless the Blue Devil has a wing, drag chute or someway of
    altering momentum and gravity, Magnussen should demand a ejection seat.

Jim, my post was meant tongue in cheek. You seem to be strangely defensive regarding GM and the vette

BTW about the Z06 doing well... the Z06 will do what Saurma and SportAuto does, this factory/marketing test with subsequent magazine right ups on the ocasion and everything is hardly conclusive of anything remember

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Jim, my post was meant tongue in cheek. You seem to be strangely defensive regarding GM and the vette

BTW about the Z06 doing well... the Z06 will do what Saurma and SportAuto does, this factory/marketing test with subsequent magazine right ups on the ocasion and everything is hardly conclusive of anything remember

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Well Carlos, I failed in the tongue and cheek department,
    sorry for not recignizing that right away.

Im not pimpin for GM, but I cant see knocking them either
    for their Lap time. Look at the pics of the car, its not obviously lowered and the tires dont look suspect.

Its obviously not as developed or as sophisticated as a GT3, but that doesnt mean that if driven to an extreme by Magnussen that it cant do the time it did.

Look at Rohrl, who else could match his lap times in a Cayman? I think its the same for Corvette and Magnussen.

Thats why I dont think its fair to question his times,
    unless there is evidence and not just opinion and assumptions. And to take Saurmas time in the Z06 as gods last word on the corvette is just cherry picking conclusions.

What happens if Saurma turned in a even faster time?

But Saurma doesnt have the advantage that Magnussen has of years of testing and racing corvettes. That isnt saying anyhting bad about Saurma, its just Magnussen has way more experience.

If you want an american car to compete with a Porsche, get a Dane to drive it

I have no clue if the Vette was modded or not. I just find it strange that Magnussen keeps referring to its BHPs as if it has a lot more than 500 bhps.
    As to its handling I think the pics and Jan's claims about never doing this again says it all. It's fast as hell, but not exactly poised.
    Good for GM and a laptime is a laptime no matter how elegantly you get around.
    Trouble is -as I said before - this looks more like a testament of a pumped up, very hard-to-drive car that has to be driven almost beyond its abilities to beat a less powerful GT3...by 0.1 seconds.

When a professional Le Mans-winning racecar driver is almost crapping his pants driving a car, it's not exactly what you wanna hear as a potential car buyer IMO.

I dunno. I dont find it particularly convincing, but then again I havent seen Walther Rörhl's NBR laps, so I cant compare.

Guess the Vette needs a wing like this...

...or this...

or how about this monstrosity:

Not so funny wings,,,,,, Dr. Phil shame!!!! Picking on the ricers.

They have similarily ugly ones on some of the 997 race cars running in the Rolex series...

I like the vette for the Katech designed 7 liter motor,
    The rest of the car needs to be replaced, sooooon. Its basically still all engine,no car,but they have developed the C6 as far as it can go probably. I look at it as market place holder/engine test bed for the new C7 due in two years.

As for your concern about Magnussen blabbering about what hp his car had, consider this......

If you buy from Katech directly the same engine as used in the Z06, Katech says it has from 550hp to 575hp. The katech FIA race engine with throttle and exhaust restrictors does make 600hp, with out them it would make 680 they claim.Wich from 7 liters is a decent power output/displacement ratio.

If you buy the Z06 engine from GM, they say it has only 505hp. GM has a known history of understating the actual hp output of its V8 performance motors. Most recent example was the C5 Z06 with 400hp net factory claim. Many were producing 370-380hp at the rear wheels on dyno tests.

...though I'd love to see Porsche shatter this time with a new 997 GT3 RS I just don't think it will happen... Where is the one individual who refused to believe any of this stuff?

I honestly believe Porsche needs to go back to factory racing to put out a product that will blow away the competition again. Up until then they are just riding on a heritage that they built long ago. (what seems long ago)

Too bad there's no video of this record run. That would be fascinating to watch!

All these other dogs in avatars have gotta go!!

As the acknowledged and self appointed leader of
    the World Weimaraner Cartel, all canine avatars
    or other pictures of snacks on four legs must
    first be cleared first through HQ.

Being 0.1 seconds faster than a 996 GT3 RS isn't all that impressive. Not so long ago, many were thinking that it completed the 'ring in 7:40 flat.
    Still, it's a great accomplishment, especially at such a low price, and it definately deserves respect.

I dont understand the animosity towards the time for the Z06. Its a great car, I dont think GM is lying.

Quote:
    Up until then they are just riding on a heritage that they built long ago. (what seems long ago)

And I agree with this. Porsche has to build some more hard core cars.

Quote:
    DamienL said:
    Being 0.1 seconds faster than a 996 GT3 RS isn't all that impressive. Not so long ago, many were thinking that it completed the 'ring in 7:40 flat.
    Still, it's a great accomplishment, especially at such a low price, and it definately deserves respect.

???
    I think it's impressive in a GT3 RS so I think it's even more impressive in a car that costs nearly half the price.

If enough people raise a stink I guarantee we'll get even better bang for our buck from Porsche.

There's a reason they call it the Flugplatz (airfield).

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    GM has a known history of understating the actual hp output of its V8 performance motors. Most recent example was the C5 Z06 with 400hp net factory claim. Many were producing 370-380hp at the rear wheels on dyno tests.

The cars tested in European magazines hardly matched the acceleration of a 325hp Carrera. So at least those cars had not "370-380hp at the rear wheels"

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    ...though I'd love to see Porsche shatter this time with a new 997 GT3 RS I just don't think it will happen... Where is the one individual who refused to believe any of this stuff?

The stuff is still being refused.

A little reminder: The C5 with 400hp just did 8:15 or so in the recent sportauto test. This is a fact. Now, how could a 500hp version be 30 seconds quicker. This is a joke.

The article posted above is a marketing event organzied by GM. In the light of the sportauto test it is quite obvious what this does imply...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688773 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408802 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234824 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65420 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857664 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773545 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM