Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

choice of color?

I'm about to make a big decision . . . go for a Cayman S. Still evaluating it though. Agreed with the dealer to place an order and have about 2 to 3 weeks before I finalize it. I have no problem with choosing my options. I really know what I want. But the next big decision is the color choice . . . I tend to like darker color shades of blue and grey in general. However, it looks like Cayman would like nicer in lighter colors. Especially that I have seen it in good pics of darker colors. I'm thinking of seal grey . . . what do you think guys ??

Re: choice of color?

My biggest problem also. Some have said it looks better in lighter colors rather than darker. I have only seen a few vague shots of a blue and a black one in a few magazine articles.

If you like shades of blue and grey take a look at Atlas Grey Metallic......combination of both and a really fantastic color. One of my finalists. Seal is a nice color, but way too common in the Porsche world for me.

Maybe Porsche will come out with some new colors for it....that I would like to see.

Can't believe I am saying this, but I would go for Arctic silver. The Cayman reminds me a lot of the RSK, Spyder and other similar older racing Porsches. Silver is historical, and would fit nicely, IMHO.

If the car is up to snuff once I see it and drive it, I am seriously consideirng riviera or mexico blue as a paint to sample option. I think that the car definitely beneifts from lighter colors and the "live" picutres I've seen of the silver car echo the style of GTs from the late sixties and early seventies. There is always the possibility that Porsche will introduce a couple of new colors, either for the 987/997 palette in general (more likely) or a couple of Cayman only colors (less likely). One more thought, the special colors are 3K and the paint to sample is only $1300 more. Given that these cars are so expensive to begin with, I'm surprised there aren't more takers for paint to sample. As far as "re-sale" is concerned for an unusual color, all one needs to do is check the re-sale on any 996/986 to see that the point is rather moot. I have no reason to believe this will be any different for the 987/997 series as time marches on and production numbers increase.

Quote:
    DaveC said:
    If the car is up to snuff once I see it and drive it, I am seriously consideirng riviera or mexico blue as a paint to sample option. I think that the car definitely beneifts from lighter colors and the "live" picutres I've seen of the silver car echo the style of GTs from the late sixties and early seventies. There is always the possibility that Porsche will introduce a couple of new colors, either for the 987/997 palette in general (more likely) or a couple of Cayman only colors (less likely). One more thought, the special colors are 3K and the paint to sample is only $1300 more. Given that these cars are so expensive to begin with, I'm surprised there aren't more takers for paint to sample. As far as "re-sale" is concerned for an unusual color, all one needs to do is check the re-sale on any 996/986 to see that the point is rather moot. I have no reason to believe this will be any different for the 987/997 series as time marches on and production numbers increase.

I'd have to hold up a red flag here....

First of all charging $825 for a base metallic paint that other manufactures charge a lot less for (or none at all) is pretty bad......and a lot of these colors really aren't that exceptional to begin with. Then to charge $3k for some of the colors Porsche deems as "special" is totally ridiculous.....especially on the lower priced Boxster or Cayman. Again, other manufactures, both high and low end, offer almost the exact same shade for little or nothing....Mercedes, VW, Audi, even Nissan all have equal and even better colors than Porsche.

Paint to sample is a neat option but you might as well kiss $4,300 goodbye once you do it.....most of the time you won't even get a small percentage back on any paint that costs a premium. If the buyer is OK with that.....no big deal.

Figuring a base price of $58.9k and paint to sample being $4.3k.....that's 7.3% of the total price!.....money that would be much better spent on performance add-ons, upgraded seats, interior, etc.,.....things that hold value a lot better.

I guess if your going to buy the car, keep it for a long time, and want to make it a very personal example.....then PTS would be well worth it......but I can sure see why most people....even ones with $$$ to burn don't go for it.

You make an often heard argument MikeN, but I have always found it to be one that poorly applies to the purchase of an expensive sports car. Once the "value" battle cry is taken up I can't see how one can justify the car itself, let alone the options. If "value" (utility/quality/performance/residual value per purchase/running costs) were my main focus, I'd not be looking to purchase any Porsche. None of Porsche's exorbitantly priced options contribute significantly to value added "equity" of any standard production model. Many mistake ease of resale for actual retained or additional value. Even among the automotive elite there is a normal distribution of colors and options representing the "mean" that the "average" purchaser of a used car will be attracted to. I can certainly respect anyone's choices regarding how he/she will equip a vehicle, but economic rationalization doesn't quite fit the bill in the range of 60-100K+. The purchase of any sports car is, IMHO, a strictly emotional decision dictated by one's taste and degree of disposable income. I may get more satisfaction out of an unusual color than I would from a Bose "upgrade", Litronic headlights, and 19" wheels which are "must have" items for other buyers.

DaveC....you offer correct statements and have the sound reasoning to make PTS work in your case, but hopefully you can see the reasoning behind PTS not being used more often.
    "Value" plays on all price fields....not just lower priced ones.

If $4.3K in paint is what does it for you.....I wish you the car of your dreams. I just don't expect many others to have that same dream....and I can clearly see why.

i would go for white, generally beautiful on any car plus it really makes the curves stand out..

DaveC, I completely understand your point. When musing about my dream GT3 purchase, I considered Mexico Blue often. I agree that it's strange that while people easily spend 4k on options that aren't necessary, nobody chooses personal colors. Although it is a lot of money. My favorites are atlas gray, white, lapis blue, and mexico blue.

Many mistake ease of resale for actual retained or additional value.

I'm one of them. Raise your selling price and watch the ease of resale go away. Used cars have a high elasticity of demand and you can't separate selling price from ease of resale.

Quote:
    Yargk said:
    DaveC, I completely understand your point. When musing about my dream GT3 purchase, I considered Mexico Blue often. I agree that it's strange that while people easily spend 4k on options that aren't necessary, nobody chooses personal colors. Although it is a lot of money. My favorites are atlas gray, white, lapis blue, and mexico blue.

From what I have seen in the past it's usually the buyers that spend the money on all the $$$$ useless do-dads that go for the paint to sample. Very rarely do I see a base car with hardly any options.....that has paint to sample.

If paint to sample was a $2-$3k option I'd even be looking at it.....I do think $4.3K is a little over the top for it
    though. Then again I don't know of too many other brands that will even let you think the idea in the first place, so Porsche can charge whatever they feel like.

Atlas grey.....great color! Surprised Porsche doesn't have it listed as a special color.

Atlas grey.....great color! Surprised Porsche doesn't have it listed as a special color.

Special colors aren't called special colors because they're nicer. They're called special colors because they're colors Porsche offered in the past. "Oh you like that color we used to make? Give us $3000 and you can still have it." Atlas is a great color but Porsche would be more accurate if they called it Atlas blue. It looks much nicer with a blue top than a black one.

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:

Special colors aren't called special colors because they're nicer. They're called special colors because they're colors Porsche offered in the past. "Oh you like that color we used to make? Give us $3000 and you can still have it." Atlas is a great color but Porsche would be more accurate if they called it Atlas blue. It looks much nicer with a blue top than a black one.

Porsche's special color paints are a combination of past and present shades......Dark Olive and GT Silver are new in the last year or two. Somewhere in Porsche there's a person that "thinks" these colors are special whether we agree with them or not. I would love to know the decision process on what makes a color "special" or not.

Porsche's special color paints are a combination of past and present shades......Dark Olive and GT Silver are new in the last year or two. Somewhere in Porsche there's a person that "thinks" these colors are special whether we agree with them or not. I would love to know the decision process on what makes a color "special" or not.

Originally, GT Silver was just for the Carrera GT so it was special. Of course, they put it on the anniversary 911 and the anniversary Boxster which made it a little less special. Neither of those cars sold well though the color seems to be popular on renntetam.com. I saw a Dark Olive Boxster in the showroom recently and liked it although I usually dislike green cars. I'm not sure what that color would look like outside in the sun.

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    I do think $4.3K is a little over the top for it
    though.

You're right. It should be 3k max. And special colors shouldn't cost more than regular metallics.

I just saw a 987 S in white for the first time. Stunning! For that reason I think the Cayman S would also look great in white. Or maybe yellow? Not only do they look good, they are free too.

If I was to order a Cayman it would have to be guards red. I've seen it first hand on Boothy's Boxster and it would look awesome. With that exterior colour I would choose the two tone black / stone grey interior. Centre console in body colour.

Paint to sample is a waste of $$$. But if people like bending over for Porsche to give them an almighty shafting then that's fine.

Just my 2cents

Too lazy / too many people looking over my shoulder at work to do anything other than a botched job - but you get the idea...

Looks like a damn fine job to me!......Now how about a dark
    color such as black or atlas grey??

Don't really know what I'm doing with Paintshop Pro... dark colours (or colors, even) appear to be trickier.
    I'll have a muck about tonight. In the meantime, here's a (scrappy) yellow one :

Thanks Skinny! The more colour the better. How about white? It's a light colour.

Skinny . . . you are being a great help . . . keep up the good work

Can you paint the wheels to match?

Sorry - no painted wheels (I lack the skills and / or patience), but here are some colour variants.

First, yellow (but tidier than the last one) :

Now... peppermint ??

Red :

Classic white :

Last one - papaya orange (inna Maclaren style) :

the orange looks beautiful.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM