Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 488 GTB/GTS

Very pretty 488, Crayphile!  kiss

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

At this moment I am missing my 458 Speciale too.

Gonna up to the track this weekend again, first car I missed was the GT3RS, I knew I was gonna have so much fun sliding it around. 2nd car I missed was the Speciale, cause I know I know it will be super fast around my track.

--

crayphile:
    RC:
    Not funny at all...logical. Smiley

Yes  - I admit it  - I am a NA engine addict/ dinosaur. I'm struggling with finding a spec I like and also choking on paying above list for something I should have ordered my self Smiley .

Smiley You're not a dinosaur, you just appreciate the good things in life. Smiley

Just yesterday I did a fast turn with my R8, a turn I always hated to do in my Turbo S because there is a part where I have to brake hard first and then accelerate. With the turbo lag, this part was always annoying because I lost some speed but with the R8...wow...I had that turbo lag in my mind but there was nothing, just straight linear acceleration. Wonderful! Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Whoopsy:

At this moment I am missing my 458 Speciale too.

Gonna up to the track this weekend again, first car I missed was the GT3RS, I knew I was gonna have so much fun sliding it around. 2nd car I missed was the Speciale, cause I know I know it will be super fast around my track.

You should get the upcoming Huracan SL (or whatever it will be named), I heard wonderful things about this car. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

In addition to the Mega Mac test in the upcoming EVO issue, the 488 was also tested.  From GCF: Richard Meaden from EVO UK has done a 1:12.8 around Anglesey Coastal, matching the lighter, slightly more powerful McLaren 675LT's time.  I can't wait to hear the Mac forum light up about this with conspiracy theories.Smiley However, one must not forget the 675LT was on trofeos. If it was probably on tire like the PSC2's, it would probably be near the speciale. 

Not sure there is much need for conspiracy. P11 is essentially from 2011, 488 is from 2015.

See, thats the thing a lot of people of all fandoms don't get.  They all think it has everything to do with timing, it isn't that way most of the time.  Take the legendary F1 for instance.  Despite its age, it was alway able to keep with the competition until recently.  The enzo, CGT, and most other super and hypercars couldn't keep up in a line or on track, despite the age.  Ive alway personally said it has everything to do with power-to-weight and tires (and sometimes tranny).  But given a car with the perfect setup of those three/four, it could easily keep up with cars 10-20-30 years in the future.  The Aston and Merc "F1" hypercars should prove what I'm saying and be able to keep with anything for the next two decades if they are what they claim.  Heck, a road legal F1GTR or LM with current tires could probably butcher nigh any current hypercar around a track.  Compare the SCCG003's estimated time around the N-Ring and other road cars around it.

Okay...I just posted the test on Mclife, so lets see how much I can stir the beehive up

"To give some perspective, that's Ferrari's series-production 488 matching McLarens's limited-run, ultra-aggressive, track-optimised special."

Ron Dennis will be not amused.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I'm not too sure Dennis will care considering the 650S/675LT is pretty much out of production. P14 will be revealed in probably March.

noone1:

I'm not too sure Dennis will care considering the 650S/675LT is pretty much out of production. P14 will be revealed in probably March.

I'm sure he will care. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

Rossi:
    noone1:

I'm sure he will care. Smiley

Ron has had to take plenty of defeats in his long career but they have never stopped him bouncing back for another crack at it.  Smiley

--

fritz

Whew! It was a firestorm over there, but it was a lot of fun learning about themindecision  Although i am surprised only one ferrari supporter chimed inSmiley.  I'd like to think i held my own pretty wellSmiley.

I'll post the thread link in case you want to see how it went:  http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/other-road-cars-slr-m6gt-m81/60825-evo-488-leaderboard-test-matches-675lt.html

kingjr9000:

Whew! It was a firestorm over there, but it was a lot of fun learning about themindecision  Although i am surprised only one ferrari supporter chimed inSmiley.  I'd like to think i held my own pretty wellSmiley.

I'll post the thread link in case you want to see how it went:  http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/other-road-cars-slr-m6gt-m81/60825-evo-488-leaderboard-test-matches-675lt.html

You most certainly did. I thought your responses were calm and factually based Smiley Smiley. To be fair though, I have found Maclife to be a civilised forum populated by some very knowledgeable people. So what if they are a little biased - its a McLaren forum after all. There is no doubt that all manufacturers given a chance will put their best foot forward in a group test, and historically Ferrari have been the most stringent and best at this. As for the real world I own both the 488 and the 675, and I can tell you that unless I'm hallucinating, the 675 is the quicker car in day to day spirited driving. It is currently the best driver's car out there - period. My verdict on the 488 is that I am searching for a 458 Speciale Smiley.

So your intent was to rile people up? Why? You are aware that since McLaren is only a few years old, all those people are also like past/present Ferrari owners, right? It's not like they all just got rich and into exotics when the 12C debuted...

McLaren owners tend to have some of the most diverse garages and experiences.

yes and no.  like i said somewhere else or maybe thought, I knew it was going to stir up the beehive so i hesitated on posting it, before i decides to go along with it.  I admitted earlier to posting the 488 AZ test on the 650s section as a form of bait, but it didn't work.  So then as a legit post, i posted the new evo 488 test in the other cars section to avoid what happened last time.

One of the members on mclife said that taking your ferrari out on track will void the warranty.  is that true?

crayphile:

My verdict on the 488 is that I am searching for a 458 Speciale Smiley.

Please elaborate (though I think I know what you are up to). Smiley

--

crayphile:
    As for the real world I own both the 488 and the 675, and I can tell you that unless I'm hallucinating, the 675 is the quicker car in day to day spirited driving. It is currently the best driver's car out there - period. My verdict on the 488 is that I am searching for a 458 Speciale Smiley.

Quite interesting, considering the fact that the 675 LT is also turbocharged something (steering, chassis, etc.) must make the car more involving if I understand you correctly?

Ferdie:
    crayphile:
    As for the real world I own both the 488 and the 675, and I can tell you that unless I'm hallucinating, the 675 is the quicker car in day to day spirited driving. It is currently the best driver's car out there - period. My verdict on the 488 is that I am searching for a 458 Speciale Smiley.

Quite interesting, considering the fact that the 675 LT is also turbocharged something (steering, chassis, etc.) must make the car more involving if I understand you correctly?

I don't think anyone can say for certain what exactly a car may or may not be assisting with, even with ESC/TC off. At the end if the day, the ECUs are doing a million things all the time.

Ferdie:
    crayphile:

Yes  - steering and chassis set up make the difference. Although to be fair it is an apples to oranges comparison until the 488 Speciale comes out and goes head to head with the P14 LT. I was not making the comparison between the two cars until this Evo test discussion began. In the meantime, my 458 Speciale hunt is more for emotional and nostalgic reasons. I may wake up one morning and snap out of it given the current prices demanded out there, which will surely soften over the coming months.

kingjr9000:

One of the members on mclife said that taking your ferrari out on track will void the warranty.  is that true?

Actually, I do not know a single car manufacturer who "allows" track racing, so I'd say that every manufacturer voids the warranty if you track race your car. Only exception are driver's ed events and similar stuff but you need to be careful to pick the right ones. 

Just as an example (sorry that I have to talk about the R8 again Smiley): A replacement engine incl. install is around 60k EUR. So track racing can get pretty expensive, I assume a 488 engine is even more expensive.

--

Typically the manufacturer will honor warranty claims if they occur at there own events. Like, in McLaren's case, I think they have no problem with it if it occurs at a Pure McLaren event.

noone1:

Typically the manufacturer will honor warranty claims if they occur at there own events. Like, in McLaren's case, I think they have no problem with it if it occurs at a Pure McLaren event.

Smiley Very true, unless you are participating in some sort of racing series. Driver's ed events, even advanced ones, are usually no problem (I would always read the fine print though...).

--

From my own observation of the experiences of Porsche drivers, I suspect that the usual stance is to honour warranty claims relating to failures not attributable to track driving, but to deny claims for damage or accelerated wear-and-tear which can be attributed to track driving or driving "style". 
    Disputes sometimes arise when owners, due to a lack of understanding of technical correlations, do not want to acknowledge that some premature failures they experience are a direct result of their track driving. 

--

fritz

fritz:

From my own observation of the experiences of Porsche drivers, I suspect that the usual stance is to honour warranty claims relating to failures not attributable to track driving, but to deny claims for damage or accelerated wear-and-tear which can be attributed to track driving or driving "style". 
    Disputes sometimes arise when owners, due to a lack of understanding of technical correlations, do not want to acknowledge that some premature failures they experience are a direct result of their track driving. 

Smiley 1000 km on the track are not like 1000 km on the road.

I also don't understand this expectation of a track warranty. Smiley Ask Porsche (or any other manufacturer) what kind of warranty they give for their race cars (Cup, etc.). People will be surprised. Hint: NONE. There is only some sort of very limited (I think 6 months but I haven't checked lately) for obvious manufacturing defects and Porsche is usually quite generous but a warranty? Nope.

--

RC:
    fritz:

Smiley 1000 km on the track are not like 1000 km on the road.

I also don't understand this expectation of a track warranty. Smiley Ask Porsche (or any other manufacturer) what kind of warranty they give for their race cars (Cup, etc.). People will be surprised. Hint: NONE. There is only some sort of very limited (I think 6 months but I haven't checked lately) for obvious manufacturing defects and Porsche is usually quite generous but a warranty? Nope.

Identifiable material or manufacturing faults are clearly a basis for a claim, over and above that it'll be a case of "goodwill". 

--

fritz

kingjr9000:

No. The biggest proof is that during the Ferrari racing days, Ferrari owners track their car, in front of Ferrari officials. Only the modified cars warranties void.

I know this from first hand experience, at the Ferrari Racing events in Istanbul (back in 2014), Ferrari official who is responsible for the after sales and warranty took vin number of a car (or two) during the track time because the car(s) had aftermarket exhaust and told the service manager to void its warranty.

I kept tracking my car for the last 3 years and when I wanted something unusual from Ferrari italy, the service always mentioned Ferrari that I spent many miles on track so know what I'm asking for.

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley

Whew!  Thats good to hear.  that really didn't make much since to me when i first saw it since ferrari always claim to  pride themselves as a brand that cares more about the driving experience as opposed to pure lap times.  So just to make sure, you can drive it on any track at your own leisurely pace, even without going to their racing days events, and still not void the warranty?  As for mods, you can anything to it such as lowering, spacers, tires, ecu tunes and the like, and still be under warranty as long as they were done by a ferrari dealer service shop or certified technician? 

The reason why I'm asking is because I saw several users do it on fchat and they said they went to their service mechanic and he did it for them.  And they didn't seem like they would be willing to give up their warranty just for half a second on the track.  They did mention that any other tire other than ferrari certified tires would void the warranty, though.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690565 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409813 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256050 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235289 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65670 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774763 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM