Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

E55 AMG (W211) Ownership Report - Update

After 5600 km, I decided to give a little update on my E55 (W211) experience.
    So far it has been an experience full of mixed emotions.

Problems so far:
  • Airbag (SRS) warning light came on
  • Dealer exchanged airbag sensor mat in the co-driver's seat
  • Airbag (SRS) warning light came on again
  • Dealer plans to exchange a specific control unit
  • APS 50 crashes very often, only a reset by removing the 40A fuse in the trunk makes it work again, mechanic is desperate
  • After COMAND retrofit, the problem dissapears for a while but comes back again. Fix: removing the 40A fuse and putting it back again. Dealer doesn't know the reason
  • "Key not validated" warning message but engine can still be started via keyless go button, dealer doesn't know what the problem is
  • Oil level warning light comes on after around 250 km fast Autobahn driving during hot weather at speeds up to 280 kph
  • Engine oil level seems to be fine, message dissapears and I can continue my trip
  • Engine oil level warning light comes on again and dissapears again, dealer checks oil level, it seems OK, I can drive home
  • Engine oil level warning light comes on again and this time it tells me to stop the engine immediately, I'm not amused
  • Dealer asks me to leave the car with them

Overall, the E55 seems to have a lot of electronics problems.
    The drive dynamic seat does what he wants, sometimes it works and sometimes not. The massage function gave me a "hit" in my back at a speed of 280 kph, making me almost loose control of the car. Even when I spoke with my mechanic in my car, we both got a little massage without touching a button.
    Another strange thing: I made a complaint about the gearbox upshifting into 4th gear at a speed of around 45 kph and at the same time it doesn't shift down immediately if I press the throttle around 1/4, resulting in a horrible whining noise from the supercharger and a pretty slow acceleration.
    This problem surprisingly dissapeared after retrofitting the COMAND to my car and I thought that maybe the APS 50 was defective and created problems to the whole MOST Bus network. I was wrong, my COMAND froze too and the problem reappeared.
    The most concerning problem seems to be with the brake:
    I made an approach to a red light and started braking very firmly. After coming to a standstill, I slightly reduced the pressure on the brake pedal but still keeping my foot on it.
    Suddenly, the engine revved up to around 1500 rpm and the car started to move and at the same time, it immediately stopped. I know this sounds weird but during this whole incident, the car moved around 30 cm to the front and I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't had my foot firmly on the brake pedal.

My personal conclusion after 6 weeks of ownership and 5600 km: the E55 is fun, it is a very poweful and impressive car, it is fast and easy to control if the ESP is on and it provides a lot of space for passengers and luggage.
    However, the electronics seem to be out of control on this car.
    My dealer is trying everything to help me, today they apologized for giving me a E 240 loaner and promised me a CLK 500 for tomorrow. I like their service but I wish my car would be a little bit more reliable.
    It is still driving but I don't know who would drive without worries with a red lettering on the tach saying to stop the engine.

I'll keep you updated on the results of the repair attempts.

• Re: E55 AMG (W211) Ownership Report - Update

Friend of mine bought the new E station Diesel with air suspension. He and three of our friends went with car for hollidays. They went to Spain and during the trip they were all time at 190/210Kph. Car was a joy. First day in Spain they were cruising at 40Kph in a village when suddunely the car made a big "PAC" noise. They came out of the car, the right rear suspension had failed. The rear part of the car was complety down, and the front left tire, could barely touch the floor. They were all bummed by that. Car remain three weeks in Mercedes wating for parts. A letter was already sent Mercedes Germany making a severe complain, if they were at high speed when the air suspension failed, they could have been killed. Guys at Mercedes said that the suspension has a system that prevents to go so low when it fails, so they didn't no the reason for that strange event.
    There's another MB AMG board where the owners while very happy with their cars, have been facing alot of eletronic reliable problems.

I hope Mercedes can solve all your problems RC, the E 55 AMG is the best in the class, I'm sure you're not a single case regarding reliability problems, but within one year from now they must have all these bugs solved, otherwise their image might be compromised. BMW with the 7 series is also having very big reliability problems, all related to the eletronics.

J.Seven

Re: E55 AMG (W211) Ownership Report - Update

Friend of mine bought the new E station Diesel with air suspension. He and three of our friends went with car for hollidays. They went to Spain and during the trip they were all time at 190/210Kph. Car was a joy. First day in Spain they were cruising at 40Kph in a village when suddunely the car made a big "PAC" noise. They came out of the car, the right rear suspension had failed. The rear part of the car was complety down, and the front left tire, could barely touch the floor. They were all bummed by that. Car remain three weeks in Mercedes wating for parts. A letter was already sent Mercedes Germany making a severe complain, if they were at high speed when the air suspension failed, they could have been killed. Guys at Mercedes said that the suspension has a system that prevents to go so low when it fails, so they didn't no the reason for that strange event.
    There's another MB AMG board where the owners while very happy with their cars, have been facing alot of eletronic reliable problems.

I hope Mercedes can solve all your problems RC, the E 55 AMG is the best in the class, I'm sure you're not a single case regarding reliability problems, but within one year from now they must have all these bugs solved, otherwise their image might be compromised. BMW with the 7 series is also having very big reliability problems, all related to the eletronics.

J.Seven

In Antwort auf:
    I made an approach to a red light and started braking very firmly. After coming to a standstill, I slightly reduced the pressure on the brake pedal but still keeping my foot on it.
    Suddenly, the engine revved up to around 1500 rpm and the car started to move and at the same time, it immediately stopped. I know this sounds weird but during this whole incident, the car moved around 30 cm to the front and I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't had my foot firmly on the brake pedal.

Didn't you have the same problem on your former CLK?

In Antwort auf:

Quote:
    Quote:

No, this problem is completely different.
    On the CLK, the engine started to rev fully while I was keeping my foot firmly on the brake.
    My mechanic suspected my shoes but when we tried to press both pedals with one of my shoes, it was impossible.
    Nobody actually knew what happened and the DC didn't comment on it in any way.

On the E55, revving happens only for a second and then it is all over. It is like one "VROOOOM", the car starts to jump forward and at the same time the brake comes in again.
    This is why it moves forward only about 30 cm (thanks god ).

My real concern is a possible "horror scenario" like this one:
    what happens if the brake is fully applied electronically (maybe even incl. the brake assist) at 300 kph top speed?
    I guess I don't have to describe what would happen...

Quote:
    Quote:

No, this problem is completely different.
    On the CLK, the engine started to rev fully while I was keeping my foot firmly on the brake.
    My mechanic suspected my shoes but when we tried to press both pedals with one of my shoes, it was impossible.
    Nobody actually knew what happened and the DC didn't comment on it in any way.

On the E55, revving happens only for a second and then it is all over. It is like one "VROOOOM", the car starts to jump forward and at the same time the brake comes in again.
    This is why it moves forward only about 30 cm (thanks god ).

My real concern is a possible "horror scenario" like this one:
    what happens if the brake is fully applied electronically (maybe even incl. the brake assist) at 300 kph top speed?
    I guess I don't have to describe what would happen...

Quote:
    I hope Mercedes can solve all your problems RC, the E 55 AMG is the best in the class, I'm sure you're not a single case regarding reliability problems, but within one year from now they must have all these bugs solved, otherwise their image might be compromised. BMW with the 7 series is also having very big reliability problems, all related to the electronics.

J.Seven

Well, at least my dealer is really dedicated in helping me.
    I told them that this is the last chance to fix the problems because I'm fed up with driving to them once a week.
    Don't get me wrong, the E55 is a fine car and it hadn't let me down. But it is pretty annoying to watch these electronics problems happen and even more to hear the mechanic saying that he can't promise to find the cause.
    I also went through some emberassment when I left the Ferrari Days in Baden-Baden. A guy from the Ferrari Club wanted to see the interior of my car, especially the DVD based COMAND system. When I turned it on, it turned off itself and I had to remove the 40 A fuse and put it back to make it work again (as of the instructions of my mechanic for the trouble I had with the APS 50). The guy from the Ferrari Club started to make fun of my car and told me that even his 13 years old Ferrari is more reliable. Ouch.

Is it really that hard for car manufacturers to test their cars before they release them to the markets?
    How is testing done? I drove more than 300 km on the Autobahn with speeds between 220 and 280 kph at an outside temperature of more than 33*C. Car was fully loaded and I always pushed the engine hard, doing the Aichelberg near Stuttgart (direction to Munich) at 280 kph, even in the curve. The problem with the oil level warning light appeared after this fast ride.
    I'm sure that DC test drivers test the cars on the track but I'm not sure that there is a track where you can drive 300 km at speeds between 220-280 kph, with wide curves and even a serious hill going up (Aichelberg), not to forget about the acceleration and braking which is needed all the time because of traffic.

Maybe car manufacturers should start putting their prototypes into the hands of normal customers to see how these cars behave under "real life" driving conditions.

Quote:
    I hope Mercedes can solve all your problems RC, the E 55 AMG is the best in the class, I'm sure you're not a single case regarding reliability problems, but within one year from now they must have all these bugs solved, otherwise their image might be compromised. BMW with the 7 series is also having very big reliability problems, all related to the electronics.

J.Seven

Well, at least my dealer is really dedicated in helping me.
    I told them that this is the last chance to fix the problems because I'm fed up with driving to them once a week.
    Don't get me wrong, the E55 is a fine car and it hadn't let me down. But it is pretty annoying to watch these electronics problems happen and even more to hear the mechanic saying that he can't promise to find the cause.
    I also went through some emberassment when I left the Ferrari Days in Baden-Baden. A guy from the Ferrari Club wanted to see the interior of my car, especially the DVD based COMAND system. When I turned it on, it turned off itself and I had to remove the 40 A fuse and put it back to make it work again (as of the instructions of my mechanic for the trouble I had with the APS 50). The guy from the Ferrari Club started to make fun of my car and told me that even his 13 years old Ferrari is more reliable. Ouch.

Is it really that hard for car manufacturers to test their cars before they release them to the markets?
    How is testing done? I drove more than 300 km on the Autobahn with speeds between 220 and 280 kph at an outside temperature of more than 33*C. Car was fully loaded and I always pushed the engine hard, doing the Aichelberg near Stuttgart (direction to Munich) at 280 kph, even in the curve. The problem with the oil level warning light appeared after this fast ride.
    I'm sure that DC test drivers test the cars on the track but I'm not sure that there is a track where you can drive 300 km at speeds between 220-280 kph, with wide curves and even a serious hill going up (Aichelberg), not to forget about the acceleration and braking which is needed all the time because of traffic.

Maybe car manufacturers should start putting their prototypes into the hands of normal customers to see how these cars behave under "real life" driving conditions.

In Antwort auf:

I drove more than 300 km on the Autobahn with speeds between 220 and 280 kph at an outside temperature of more than 33*C. Car was fully loaded and I always pushed the engine hard, doing the Aichelberg near Stuttgart (direction to Munich) at 280 kph, even in the curve. The problem with the oil level warning light appeared after this fast ride.

are you a normal customer, rc?? i don't think so...
    you surely are one of very few customers, who use the full potential of the E55.

bmw, porsche and mercedes do very much high speed testing on the autobahn.
    some years ago, the "gredinger kurven" between munich and nürnberg were used by bmw to test high speed cornering - everybody who took these corners at the 250 kph limiter knows what i'm talking of.

i think the oil warning is part of your electrical problem - and this won't be easy to find.

btw: how fast were you going up the "gaislinger steige"? these curves (especially the first hard left one) are not good for 220 kph

best wishes to your mechanic
    rsv

In Antwort auf:

I drove more than 300 km on the Autobahn with speeds between 220 and 280 kph at an outside temperature of more than 33*C. Car was fully loaded and I always pushed the engine hard, doing the Aichelberg near Stuttgart (direction to Munich) at 280 kph, even in the curve. The problem with the oil level warning light appeared after this fast ride.

are you a normal customer, rc?? i don't think so...
    you surely are one of very few customers, who use the full potential of the E55.

bmw, porsche and mercedes do very much high speed testing on the autobahn.
    some years ago, the "gredinger kurven" between munich and nürnberg were used by bmw to test high speed cornering - everybody who took these corners at the 250 kph limiter knows what i'm talking of.

i think the oil warning is part of your electrical problem - and this won't be easy to find.

btw: how fast were you going up the "gaislinger steige"? these curves (especially the first hard left one) are not good for 220 kph

best wishes to your mechanic
    rsv

Thanks for the update

N/T

Thanks for the update

N/T

I consider myself a normal customer, even if I'm maybe more interested in technical details of the cars than others.
    Of course there are business men who drive a E55 just for prestige only but I don't think AMG would sell the 300 kph delimitation if there weren't customers who ask for it. Same applies to the 30% limited slip differential.
    I even heard of people driving with the E55 on the track, something I'd never do because I remember how I thought about these guys in their high power limousines driving on the track when I owned a Porsche. Sometimes I couldn't stop laughing because it looked so funny watching them stepping out of their cars with a helmet, racing gloves and racing shoes on.

Never drove the Geislinger Steige but it sounds interesting.

My mechanic already found two problems:
    1. a defective oil sensor which is responsible for the warning light
    2. there is an OS software update for the DVD based COMAND available (I got it retrofitted a few weeks ago and there is now already a new software available)

I hope they find the other problems too, right now I'm driving a E500 loaner from my dealer.
    A little comment on the E500 compared to the E55 (because I read on several internet forums that people go for the E500 because there isn't much difference in driving experience compared to the E55): it is a difference like day and night. Unbelievable. The E55's throttle response is light years ahead compared to the E500, not to speak about handling which is very different, even in the Sport 2 position of the Airmatic.
    And last but not least, the engine/exhaust sound: the E500 sounds like a vacuum cleaner, not sporty and not loud. The E55 plays in a completely different league, as does the E500 compared to my first loaner, a E240. I really have to say that I'm sorry for every E240 driver, this car sucks.

I consider myself a normal customer, even if I'm maybe more interested in technical details of the cars than others.
    Of course there are business men who drive a E55 just for prestige only but I don't think AMG would sell the 300 kph delimitation if there weren't customers who ask for it. Same applies to the 30% limited slip differential.
    I even heard of people driving with the E55 on the track, something I'd never do because I remember how I thought about these guys in their high power limousines driving on the track when I owned a Porsche. Sometimes I couldn't stop laughing because it looked so funny watching them stepping out of their cars with a helmet, racing gloves and racing shoes on.

Never drove the Geislinger Steige but it sounds interesting.

My mechanic already found two problems:
    1. a defective oil sensor which is responsible for the warning light
    2. there is an OS software update for the DVD based COMAND available (I got it retrofitted a few weeks ago and there is now already a new software available)

I hope they find the other problems too, right now I'm driving a E500 loaner from my dealer.
    A little comment on the E500 compared to the E55 (because I read on several internet forums that people go for the E500 because there isn't much difference in driving experience compared to the E55): it is a difference like day and night. Unbelievable. The E55's throttle response is light years ahead compared to the E500, not to speak about handling which is very different, even in the Sport 2 position of the Airmatic.
    And last but not least, the engine/exhaust sound: the E500 sounds like a vacuum cleaner, not sporty and not loud. The E55 plays in a completely different league, as does the E500 compared to my first loaner, a E240. I really have to say that I'm sorry for every E240 driver, this car sucks.

When are we gonna get some new vids from you RC?

When are we gonna get some new vids from you RC?

Geislinger Steige

Stupid me, I guess I drove the Geislinger Steige at least 50 times and I didn't know the name. Ouch.
    The fastest I ever got on it was something around 180 kph in the curves but it was pretty dangerous because of traffic.
    The problem seems to be the end of the narrow curves where sometimes cars drive at 80 kph or even less.
    Now imagine coming around the curve with 220 kph...I hope you have a good guardian angel.

My rule No.1: no matter how much experience and driving skills
    one has, you always have to count in possible driving mistakes of the other drivers too. You don't do that, you're dead meat.

Geislinger Steige

Stupid me, I guess I drove the Geislinger Steige at least 50 times and I didn't know the name. Ouch.
    The fastest I ever got on it was something around 180 kph in the curves but it was pretty dangerous because of traffic.
    The problem seems to be the end of the narrow curves where sometimes cars drive at 80 kph or even less.
    Now imagine coming around the curve with 220 kph...I hope you have a good guardian angel.

My rule No.1: no matter how much experience and driving skills
    one has, you always have to count in possible driving mistakes of the other drivers too. You don't do that, you're dead meat.

Re: Geislinger Steige

RC,
    if you have a chance, go through the "Gredinger Kurven",coming from Nuernberg towards Munich and you will find out, how good your E 55 handles and if the oil light is coming on again. At low or no traffic you should be able with modern cars like yours, go through without lifting the throttle with about 270 - 280 km/h. In the old days, I was able to do 250/260 km in a good set-up 911 Turbo or Widebody Cab.
    Let us know.

RC,
    if you have a chance, go through the "Gredinger Kurven",coming from Nuernberg towards Munich and you will find out, how good your E 55 handles and if the oil light is coming on again. At low or no traffic you should be able with modern cars like yours, go through without lifting the throttle with about 270 - 280 km/h. In the old days, I was able to do 250/260 km in a good set-up 911 Turbo or Widebody Cab.
    Let us know.

Quote:
    RC,
    Let us know.

I'll remember it if I ever go to Nürnberg (Nuremberg).
    The problem with the oil light has been caused by a faulty sensor which has been exchanged.
    Shouldn't happen again, under no circumstances.

Quote:
    RC,
    Let us know.

I'll remember it if I ever go to Nürnberg (Nuremberg).
    The problem with the oil light has been caused by a faulty sensor which has been exchanged.
    Shouldn't happen again, under no circumstances.

Problems solved? Update

Today my dealer called and told me that all problems have actually been solved, well almost:

They exchanged the faulty oil sensor.
    They updated the COMAND's OS software (there is a brandnew one out).
    They exchanged a control unit with the airbag system.
    They get a new gearbox control unit tomorrow with especially modified software (more aggressive shifting) for me, based on my VIN number.
    They also claim that the factory knows about the Dynamic Drive Seat problems and there is a new software scheduled for sept. 03 release (I get the updated control unit as soon as it is available).

Overall, I'm impressed if they really found and fixed all problems. It took them only three days but I have to point out that they had help from a factory engineer.
    I got a E500 loaner, I'm really satisfied with the service of my Mercedes dealer.
    Back in my old Porsche times, I got a VW Beetle loaner, if any.

I'll let you know if they really fixed everything.

Problems solved? Update

Today my dealer called and told me that all problems have actually been solved, well almost:

They exchanged the faulty oil sensor.
    They updated the COMAND's OS software (there is a brandnew one out).
    They exchanged a control unit with the airbag system.
    They get a new gearbox control unit tomorrow with especially modified software (more aggressive shifting) for me, based on my VIN number.
    They also claim that the factory knows about the Dynamic Drive Seat problems and there is a new software scheduled for sept. 03 release (I get the updated control unit as soon as it is available).

Overall, I'm impressed if they really found and fixed all problems. It took them only three days but I have to point out that they had help from a factory engineer.
    I got a E500 loaner, I'm really satisfied with the service of my Mercedes dealer.
    Back in my old Porsche times, I got a VW Beetle loaner, if any.

I'll let you know if they really fixed everything.

Got my E55 back...

Today I got my E55 back from my dealer.
    Oil warning problem - seems to be fixed
    COMAND problem - seems to be fixed
    Dynamic Drive Seat Problem - seems to be fixed (surprisingly because they told me I get a new control unit in september but apparently resetting the current control unit did a fine job too)
    Automatic Tranny Shifting Problem - will be fixed next week because the factory didn't program a control unit for me yet (it takes time to choose the right one, apparently they got a fix for my complaint but it has to be programmed to a new control unit incl. my car's specs and VIN number)

Well, right now I think I'm a happy owner again.
    I'll post an update to the automatic tranny software update as soon as I get the new reprogrammed control unit installed.

BTW: I changed the car directly from the E500 to my E55.
    Wow, what a difference in drive feel, like moving from a comfort oriented limousine to a real sports car. No kidding, even the steering feels completely different, not to mention the engine/exhaust sound.

Got my E55 back...

Today I got my E55 back from my dealer.
    Oil warning problem - seems to be fixed
    COMAND problem - seems to be fixed
    Dynamic Drive Seat Problem - seems to be fixed (surprisingly because they told me I get a new control unit in september but apparently resetting the current control unit did a fine job too)
    Automatic Tranny Shifting Problem - will be fixed next week because the factory didn't program a control unit for me yet (it takes time to choose the right one, apparently they got a fix for my complaint but it has to be programmed to a new control unit incl. my car's specs and VIN number)

Well, right now I think I'm a happy owner again.
    I'll post an update to the automatic tranny software update as soon as I get the new reprogrammed control unit installed.

BTW: I changed the car directly from the E500 to my E55.
    Wow, what a difference in drive feel, like moving from a comfort oriented limousine to a real sports car. No kidding, even the steering feels completely different, not to mention the engine/exhaust sound.

dear psi,

doing the "gredinger kurven" with 280 kph will put one foot in jail.
    they are limited to 120 kph for a couple of years.
    to go 270 / 280 kph there, you need more than one lane - very dangerous.

at the geislinger steige is by far not that fast, you got fun there below 200 kph.
    try the A9 from nürnberg to leipzig - very nice highspeed-bends without limitation.

best rsv

dear psi,

doing the "gredinger kurven" with 280 kph will put one foot in jail.
    they are limited to 120 kph for a couple of years.
    to go 270 / 280 kph there, you need more than one lane - very dangerous.

at the geislinger steige is by far not that fast, you got fun there below 200 kph.
    try the A9 from nürnberg to leipzig - very nice highspeed-bends without limitation.

best rsv

This problem report does not sound to good either...

Just read this report regarding a E55 related problem on the AMG owners club forum. The poster reports about an immediate drop in revs by 400-500rpm when he reaches approximately 280km/h - afterwards acceleration continues as usual... very strange (and a little bit risky as well).

Link:
    http://www.amg-owners-club.org/board/en/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=1955&sid=c9ffe6ce53704844d8582dade994e318

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689596 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409240 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255752 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234998 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858000 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774054 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM