Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

ready to pull the trigger

Hey all, been a lurker around here for a while. Actually came close to buying a 996 back in 2003 but backed out.

Anyway I'm at the point now where I want to buy an new 997S. I've been a "lurker" around the forums and also around my local dealer for a while now. I dont know what I'm waiting for, but life is short and I'm starting to get impulsive and ready to jump back into the market...

Well my problem is this... I've been a kind of "pain in the ass" to the local dealer where I'm at and I think that they dont take me seriously anymore.. but I really want to buy a new 997 s or no s, not sure yet. I worked with a salesman back in 2003 that took me out on 2 test drives with a 996 c4s and a 996c2s vert and he's still there. I feel obligated to work with him again since he spent so much time with me, and he stil remembers me.

I want a good deal but I can't imagine this guy would take me serioulsy since I waited almost 3 years to buy.

What you guys think?
    -Kauai

Re: ready to pull the trigger

he's there to do his job, you do not owe him anything for taking you on those test drives. if you feel that you need to come back 10 times before you can make a decision then that's fine, after all it's your money. if he should decide to be spiteful and not be helpful, well that's 1 less sales for him. just go to another dealer(if you have the choice!) ask Tooner about any other dealers in the area! he live in SF too

LOL " if you have a choice " what you trying to say Mike ..that his demo every dealer..

No offence kauai just having a giggle , just approach the salasman it will be fine..

throt..

no throt i meant if he can goto another dealer, if it's the only one in the area well, then he kinda has no choice

I know what you meant Mike just having a laugh , I had my funny hat on..

throt.

4 the moment , i wait 3 years for a phonecall or email, for testing a 996 ...... i am still waiting...........
    dealer take me not for a serious customer,
    my look is not rich enough i think.....
    in that time , i buy two porsches.... by another dealer offcourse.

(correct me if i make mistakes with my poor englisch pls )

I have waited 3 years for a phonecall/email with regard to testing a 996 but as of now I am still waiting.
    I think it maybe my appearance as my look is not of a rich man , even though I have purchased two Porsches which were from another dealer..

Is that any better FARGO because your is fine , you really do make me laugh mate..

throt..

PS Edit add :Strictly phonecall = telephone call , but thats picky

It would be a real stupid dealer if he would judge by apearance. I mean everybody is wearing jeans, t-shirts and flip flop and a Swatch these days, even if they are worth several milions

Guess you know what I'm wearing today... but I'm not worth milions

I went for at least 10 test drives, before I made my decision... The dealer is there to do that! I did [censored] of one of them and he could of thaught I was not serious... but when the other one made the deal with me... he became so nice suddenly!
    And about the good deal... they are no real good deals with Porsche. I got a 3.75 discount and free inside carpets and I can consider myself very lucky!

I got squat diddly , 3.75 % off you done very well..

throt.

I got a bottle of champagne and flowers

i got a keyring....

I got a 2nd mortgage...

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    I got a 2nd mortgage...

I said to the salesman " what no discount on a cash deal " , he said no chance but if you take it over 2 years I can get you a balloon deal , I said as long as its GT Silver and its got a P on it..

Nice bloke

throt..

Ask him if he's seen the Porsche commercial where the little kid goes into the dealership and tells the salesman - "see you in 20 years"..

Seriously, I understand your wish to give your business to a salesman that has given you lots of time. It's a decent human emotion. I would make sure your mind is made up in terms of what model and options and bring that list to the dealer and say something like - "It's taken me some time but I'm ready to buy/ This is what I want right away, what would be the best deal ?"

You really need to make sure you know which model you want. It's better to know before going in and sleeping on that decision for a night or two. In terms of options you should have most of that decided on as well. It's just my experience that it's better to be sure of exactly what you want/can afford before walking into the dealer to place an order.
    Good luck.

PSE labor for $300.
    Other than that paid msrp.
    Every dealer in my area is at msrp for the 997 S cab.'s.

Curious - Have heard very little on RENNTEAM from posters looking to buy the C4S or C4S cab. Lots about the 997 /S/997/S/ cab and 997 Turbo/Turbo cab but very little about the all wheel drive 997's and all wheel drive S's and Cabs. Weird.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Curious - Have heard very little on RENNTEAM from posters looking to buy the C4S or C4S cab. Lots about the 997 /S/997/S/ cab and 997 Turbo/Turbo cab but very little about the all wheel drive 997's and all wheel drive S's and Cabs. Weird.

That's because it's an enthousiast forum, not a poser's forum!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Guess you're right.

Good luck... I'm also from the Bay Area - and have been to several of the dealerships (since ordering my 997S) just to look. You will have trouble finding a car to test drive (esp if you are interested in a 997S). The only 997 I could find at any dealer near me was a cabrio non-S. I didn't want to wait around for an S to become available, but if you want to test the "exact" car that you want to order, you might try Sacramento or L.A. (maybe!).
    PM me if you want more info.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    i got a keyring....

Hey me too...
    I guess standard procedure when you only buy a black 997S cabrio

LOL, remember no matter the car he is still just a salesman, and your the customer. Its the dealerships job to kiss your behind and make you feel like a king. Seriously, for the kind of coin youre going to unload nothing but the best is expected. If you deal with the same person your just insuring him of his commission. If you really want to try and make a deal and get things going just go straight to the GSM( General Sales Manager). I always try and go straight to the top. This sensures no B.S., and shows your not a time waster but a serious patron. To ensure a good deal I always tell them, remember Im a lifer, you are investing in me to make several purchases. Take care of me now and I will be back again, and again with all my friends and family. Always works for some sort of discount. If any dealer gves me the I cant give you a discount or MSRP is the best I make sure they know I was ready to make a deal but their greed just broke it...

Quote:
    997S4KEN said:
    LOL, remember no matter the car he is still just a salesman, and your the customer. Its the dealerships job to kiss your behind and make you feel like a king. Seriously, for the kind of coin youre going to unload nothing but the best is expected. If you deal with the same person your just insuring him of his commission. If you really want to try and make a deal and get things going just go straight to the GSM( General Sales Manager). I always try and go straight to the top. This sensures no B.S., and shows your not a time waster but a serious patron. To ensure a good deal I always tell them, remember Im a lifer, you are investing in me to make several purchases. Take care of me now and I will be back again, and again with all my friends and family. Always works for some sort of discount. If any dealer gves me the I cant give you a discount or MSRP is the best I make sure they know I was ready to make a deal but their greed just broke it...

Disagree , they just seem to not give a monkeys , as I stated before they just seem to think your going to purchase the 911 pedigree machine whatever . Imo there getting to cock sure and think in the next few years it will back fire on them..

Jmo..

throt.

i got more than 3.75,a keyring...
    floormats , several times vw polo (replaceable)
    and a glas of juice fruit
    without nigotiate

Youre right! Some dealers dont really give a damn. But my pitch usually works at a dealer that is motivated to move product. The one delaership that really doesnt give a damn about customers is Mercedes Benz of Thousand Oaks, CA. Not only do they ignore you, they make you wait once youre even acknowledged. They are the rudest, and snobiest dealer Ive ever been to. Theyre one of the main reasons Ive never had a Mercedes Benz. Ive been to Ferrari dealers that were more open and inviting. But were talking a different breed alltogether.

Quote:
    throt said:
    I got squat diddly , 3.75 % off you done very well..

throt.

Its the UK mate what do you expect, my dealer almost laughed when I asked for a discount, oh.... I did get a key ring and some flowers.

Well its nice to hear some of you got a laugh from my expense hehe.. Yes I agree this sales guy should be kissing my behind for the amount of money I'm gonna fork over. Sucks that its so hard to test drive the car I want lol, I'll settle with a drive in the base 997.

On a side note if I order now will I get the MP3 player?

-K

yes, all cars(MY06 models) ordered from last month will get mp3 playing capability

Quote:
    Fanch said:

I used to be called an "enthusiast," but that was when I was under 100 posts. Now I'm officially an "addict." What do they call us when we get over 200? . . . . A "basket case?"

Quote:
    gnil said:
    I got a 3.75 discount and free inside carpets and I can consider myself very lucky!

Sorry, I have to correct that , I thaught I had 3.75%, but It was only 2.75% !!!

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    I got a 2nd mortgage...

ROFL, that was good!!

Seriously, I second Stradale's advice, Decide what you want, then go to your preferred salesman, then he knows you're serious this time. If you're unsure of options, sign a deal "subject to purchasers approval" on those options. They will have no problem demonstrating these to you since they know you're not wasting their time.

Build a good relationship with your dealer. This can be important if your car spends time in their workshop, and you need a loaner, or if you have warranty issues that some on this forum have had, IMO.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803028 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448503 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266028 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90018 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6501 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885578 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833008 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM