Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: convincing the wife

Very tough. I never should have brought it up in the first place. My bad. Reminds me of the no talking politics or religion in a bar rule.

Anyway - If anyone that has a cab. can answer a question. When I lower the top I'm holding the switch down and waiting till I see the side windows pop up. This is how I know it is fully down. There must be a better way. I've tried timing it but when I stop I get a display that says - 'top not all the way down'...Any help would be appreciated. THANKS.

Quote:

Anyway - If anyone that has a cab. can answer a question. When I lower the top I'm holding the switch down and waiting till I see the side windows pop up. This is how I know it is fully down. There must be a better way. I've tried timing it but when I stop I get a display that says - 'top not all the way down'...Any help would be appreciated. THANKS.

For real? My 986 has a light on the dash that goes out when the top is all the way down. Are you saying the 997 cab doesn't have that?

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Quote:

For real? My 986 has a light on the dash that goes out when the top is all the way down. Are you saying the 997 cab doesn't have that?

I'm really not sure. I keep meaning to get to the manuel.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

My 996 cab had a light much like the 997 that told you the top was going down. When the light went out you could take your finger off the switch before the windows started to go up. With the 997 the light goes off the same time as the windows start moving. It is impossible to lower the top without having the windows start to go up. Stupid design.

So, the two things that I have noticed so far that were better in the 996 than the 997.....top lowering and the keys. Like many others here, I have accidently opened my front trunk several times with the key, either by handling the key wrong or by bumping something while in my pocket. When Porsche engineers spent all those months driving the prototypes don't you think this must have happened to them at least once? Most cars require you to push the trunk button for a couple of seconds before they open. Mine opens with the slightest push.

The keys need a redesign. There should be a pause between when the light for the top goes out and the windows start to move. Both should be relatively simple fixes.

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    [ There should be a pause between when the light for the top goes out and the windows start to move. Both should be relatively simple fixes.

Phil

It's really enoying idd

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

My 996 cab had a light much like the 997 that told you the top was going down. When the light went out you could take your finger off the switch before the windows started to go up. With the 997 the light goes off the same time as the windows start moving. It is impossible to lower the top without having the windows start to go up. Stupid design.

So, the two things that I have noticed so far that were better in the 996 than the 997.....top lowering and the keys. Like many others here, I have accidently opened my front trunk several times with the key, either by handling the key wrong or by bumping something while in my pocket. When Porsche engineers spent all those months driving the prototypes don't you think this must have happened to them at least once? Most cars require you to push the trunk button for a couple of seconds before they open. Mine opens with the slightest push.

The keys need a redesign. There should be a pause between when the light for the top goes out and the windows start to move. Both should be relatively simple fixes.

Phil

Hmmm. Thanks Phil. Guess the way I have been doing it is the right way. Kinda weird though. Every time you put the top down you then have to lower the windows slightly. Not that big of a deal but a minor annoyance. To take advantage of how good it feels to be in a 911 Convertible I'd get out to and unlatch and latch the top manuaelly if I had to....The up and down at 30mph is so cool.

Quote:
    PS CA said

Do you have any hot tips at the moment???

Phil

Phil,
    I don't have any stocks that I am 100% confident in right now but another thought crossed my mind. I remember you saying you sold the 996 to a friend. I'm not positive about how it would work in CA w/ tax law but in NY if I find a private buyer I can ask the dealer to run the sale through their books.

In other words the dealer takes in my trade, sells me the new car and deducts the trade amount from the new vehicle cost. ie) If the 996 was worth $50,000 and the new 997 cost $100,000 I would only get sales tax on the difference - $50k. Based on my tax rate that would SAVE $4375 in taxes.

The dealer then sells the pre-owned car to your buyer. The dealer get a pre-owned sale out of the deal, you save in taxes and your buyer pays the same price. Just a thought for the next time.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    In other words the dealer takes in my trade, sells me the new car and deducts the trade amount from the new vehicle cost. ie) If the 996 was worth $50,000 and the new 997 cost $100,000 I would only get sales tax on the difference - $50k. Based on my tax rate that would SAVE $4375 in taxes.

The dealer then sells the pre-owned car to your buyer. The dealer get a pre-owned sale out of the deal, you save in taxes and your buyer pays the same price. Just a thought for the next time.

In Ontario, Canada, you can save 15% taxes ($7500 in your case). It means you must have a good relationship with your dealer. Or they might ask to split the profit?

However, the buyer won't want it because the buyer can save 7% (or 8% don't recall) of tax by buying in private here.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    PS CA said

Do you have any hot tips at the moment???

Phil

Phil,
    I don't have any stocks that I am 100% confident in right now but another thought crossed my mind. I remember you saying you sold the 996 to a friend. I'm not positive about how it would work in CA w/ tax law but in NY if I find a private buyer I can ask the dealer to run the sale through their books.

The sales tax and license fee in California would be calculated on the gross selling price. They would count a trade-in as a down payment type of thing. It would not effect the tax or license fee. I don't think it works here the way it apparently works in NY.

Phil

It wouldn't as easily in Canada then.
    BUT..
    Since you have a greater tax savings..

Since you save 15%. Have the buyer pay the 7%, pay him back the 7% and keep 8% (of the 15) for yourself OR offer to split the 8% w/ the buyer. Same thing (same % amount) as NY just a bit more complicated.

On a $100k car w/ a $80k trade in it's still $6400 in savings for you.

OR $3200 for you, $3200 for your buyer by splitting the savings .

That's a shame.
    In NY they figure you already paid taxes on the object so by trading it in you get credit based on the tax you already paid.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    It wouldn't as easily in Canada then.
    BUT..
    Since you have a greater tax savings..

Since you save 15%. Have the buyer pay the 7%, pay him back the 7% and keep 8% (of the 15) for yourself OR offer to split the 8% w/ the buyer. Same thing (same % amount) as NY just a bit more complicated.

On a $100k car w/ a $80k trade in it's still $6400 in savings for you.

OR $3200 for you, $3200 for your buyer by splitting the savings .

You know pretty well how money works...

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    That's a shame.
    In NY they figure you already paid taxes on the object so by trading it in you get credit based on the tax you already paid.

It gets worse. The buyer of your used car in California has to pay sales tax. When I buy a new $100k car I will pay $7750.00 sales tax at the time of purchase. When I sell it to someone for $50k a few years later they will pay another $3875.00 in sales tax. It continues for the life of the car each time it is sold.

Plus we have significant state income taxes. The only place we can save a little is our property taxes. We passed a law years ago that only allows for a maximum of 2% increase in property taxes each year if you stay in your home. This has been a blessing with the rising values in property here. If you buy a new home you do get hit.

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    That's a shame.

It gets worse. The buyer of your used car in California has to pay sales tax. When I buy a new $100k car I will pay $7750.00 sales tax at the time of purchase. When I sell it to someone for $50k a few years later they will pay another $3875.00 in sales tax. It continues for the life of the car each time it is sold.

Plus we have significant state income taxes. The only place we can save a little is our property taxes. We passed a law years ago that only allows for a maximum of 2% increase in property taxes each year if you stay in your home. This has been a blessing with the rising values in property here. If you buy a new home you do get hit.

Phil

That's the same as NY. (except the rate is higher approx. 8.75% in Nassau county) The buyer of a used car still has to pay tax on the value of the car they bought. From what I undertsand from you though, you don't recieve the tax relief for the value of your used car when traded in.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    From what I undertsand from you though, you don't recieve the tax relief for the value of your used car when traded in.

In California you do not receive any tax credit on trade-ins. If you look at the forms they use here it lists the total cost for the car, sales tax and license fee before it gets to the minus column. So, all your trade-in does is act as a down or partial payment. No sales tax value for trade-ins.

Phil

In Colorado, you only pay tax on the net amount, AFAIK...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778024 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442014 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262936 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261177 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85427 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5691 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880847 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816412 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM