Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Itsme:
    RC:

Newsflash: These roads are made for cars and other motor vehicles and not bicycles. 

This is what I was talking about: If you want to avoid moments of your heart rate doing a big jump, avoid These roads.

Of course as an intelligent man you know that this is wrong. But we shouldn’t discuss this question here. Too off topic even for rennteam

+1
    --

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

This isn't wrong, just very risky. I mean I do not ride a motorcycle anymore because I'm scared of car drivers hitting me accidentally because many drivers just drive like sh.t and do not pay sufficient attention but with a bicycle, it is even more dangerous (those bike helmets are a joke, mine fell a meter on concrete and basically broke in half, it was tested to be very safe).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

This isn't wrong, just very risky. I mean I do not ride a motorcycle anymore because I'm scared of car drivers hitting me accidentally because many drivers just drive like sh.t and do not pay sufficient attention but with a bicycle, it is even more dangerous (those bike helmets are a joke, mine fell a meter on concrete and basically broke in half, it was tested to be very safe).

Just to go further off topic, bike helmets are not a joke assuming you buy one that is rated CPSC/CEN/SNELL.  Yes if you drop it on concrete you should seriously consider replacing it, but that is due to their design.  I survived a cycling accident thanks to my helmet.  Traveling at ~25mph a car turned left into me launching me off my bike.  I flew over two lanes of traffic and landed with all of my weight and momentum on my head on the road.  I have been racing / riding for 20+ years and had no time to react to anything it happened so fast.  Had I not had a helmet on I would likely have been killed or at minimum suffered massive head trauma, please don't disregard bike helmets...especially for kids (end of public safety plea).

I think you misunderstood me: I would never ride a bike without a helmet, neither does my wife or the kids.

I just meant that when driving on public roads, bike helmets are not even close to the safety of motorcycle helmets and I gave up riding motorcycles, so why would I ride a bike with a bike helmet on a public road with lots of traffic? Sorry for the confusion...language and all.  frown

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

I think you misunderstood me: I would never ride a bike without a helmet, neither does my wife or the kids.

I just meant that when driving on public roads, bike helmets are not even close to the safety of motorcycle helmets and I gave up riding motorcycles, so why would I ride a bike with a bike helmet on a public road with lots of traffic? Sorry for the confusion...language and all.  frown

How fast was your motorcycle? And how fast can you go on your bicycle?

I have huge respect for the people riding their bike to the top of those mountains, something I haven't done yet. I have to say I prefer moutainbiking as I cannot stand being passed with significant speed difference only two meters next to me. 

RC:

Good, good.  Helmet use is just a hot topic for me, sorry for the confusion.  I do agree motorcycle helmets are a step above in protection.  When going down a long descent on a bicycle I often wonder why I'm doing this just wearing spandex and not full leathers.  The thought of a tire rolling or blowing out Smiley

lexs4:
    RC:

Good, good.  Helmet use is just a hot topic for me, sorry for the confusion.  I do agree motorcycle helmets are a step above in protection.  When going down a long descent on a bicycle I often wonder why I'm doing this just wearing spandex and not full leathers.  ...

Mainly because in full leathers you'd die before you ever reached the top of the ascent.

lexs4:
    RC:

Good, good.  Helmet use is just a hot topic for me, sorry for the confusion.  I do agree motorcycle helmets are a step above in protection.  When going down a long descent on a bicycle I often wonder why I'm doing this just wearing spandex and not full leathers.  The thought of a tire rolling or blowing out Smiley

I had a big crash back in the day before standard helmet use. I had a split second to decide on legs or head. I chose legs and have lived in daily pain in my left leg for the past 22 years because of it. Still better than head...

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Ferdie:
    RC:

How fast was your motorcycle? And how fast can you go on your bicycle?

I can do 60 kph on my bike...not downhill (I hit over 70 once)...so go figure. Smiley This is no racing bike but a pedelec. (see photo)

ISPO-2013237.jpg

I have huge respect for the people riding their bike to the top of those mountains, something I haven't done yet. I have to say I prefer moutainbiking as I cannot stand being passed with significant speed difference only two meters next to me. 

Mountainbiking is something I really liked but I stopped doing that as well because the guys I was doing it with have become a bit too reckless for my taste. Most of them don't have kids, they spend almost every free moment doing mountain biking, so it was just a logical consequence for me to stop riding with these guys. My wife hates biking (she is much sportier than me), so I spend my time with driving instead biking. Smiley I only bought the pedelec so I can bike with the family from time to time. All of us (incl. kids) have pedelecs, so we can do longer tours (40-60 km) without getting too exhausted. It is supposed to be fun, not work. Smiley

--

That is certainly fast. Still, you won't do 200 KPH with your bicycle on the Autobahn, surrounded by other fast moving vehicles don't and you will not go 80 to 100 kph on the country road where people might overlook you at an intersection.  So therefore it is reasonable that a motorcycle helmet is heavier and offers more protection than a bicycle helmet. netheless, friend of mine whears a full helmet (downhill type) on public streets, 

From spring to fall I regularly take my bike to work. I take it with me in the train in the morning and drive back home, that's 40 km one way going through forests and fields.  For me, that's the most convenient way of fun, exercise and stress relief. So if I can do it, you can do it too. Smiley

By the way, anybody wants to go back to topic? smiley

Ferdie:

What was the topic? Smiley

Boyko23:
    Ferdie:

The Audi R8. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Boyko23:
    Ferdie:

The Audi R8. Smiley

Well... Smiley

Don't worry, everyone knows how fast my car is, no need to brag anymore. Smiley

--

Rossi:
    Boyko23:
    Ferdie:

The Audi R8. Smiley

Smiley

--

J.Seven

J.Seven:
    Rossi:

Boyko23:

Ferdie:

The Audi R8. Smiley

Smiley

Ah,yes. The default topic for all threads. (Imagine a random semiappropriate Smiley here. I'm writing this on an iPad).
    --

fritz

RC:

I can do 60 kph on my bike...not downhill (I hit over 70 once)...so go figure. Smiley This is no racing bike but a pedelec. (see photo)

ISPO-2013237.jpg

Cool!  These pedelecs are not very common in US, but I am considering one since my office is moving 3x further from home and there is a bike path that nearly connects my home and office (runs along a river below street level without cars, scooters, etc.).  I take it your bike says Outlaw, because the max speed in Europe for pedelecs is supposed to be 45 kph? Smiley

I once rode one of these made locally that is very fast (and expensive) with 1,100 Watts and goes 53 kph without pedaling:

https://optibike.com/optibike-r11/

bike-main.jpg

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I have a much better solution for you - from the same guys who do the Rimac

http://www.greyp.com/

wink

I'm afraid my "Outlaw" Pedelec requires pedaling. No pedaling, no moving. Which is a good thing because I could get too lazy... Smiley

There is a "sail" mode which can get up to 20 kph without pedaling but this requires a permanent press of a very small button, which isn't only uncomfortable but also only works when there is no gradient.

I can set the "support" from the electric motor though, so pedaling is more exhausting or more relaxed.

--

RC:

I'm afraid my "Outlaw" Pedelec requires pedaling. No pedaling, no moving. Which is a good thing because I could get too lazy... Smiley

I am not going to buy that Optibike - just posted it because it is unusual and the first one I ever tried.  I'll probably buy something much more tame and affordable (and having to pedal is good for me too).  Kalkhoff is a new brand here and common in Germany.  Are those good?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

BjoernB:

I have a much better solution for you - from the same guys who do the Rimac

http://www.greyp.com/

wink

That does look very cool - thanks!

--

I never understood these electric bikes.  I suppose they allow you to get some exercise without showing up to work drenched in your own sweat due to hills or long distances. But the cost of them is 2-3x a basic scooter.  Some of them are 8k Euro which is the same as a decent motorcycle.  Cool idea, but not ready for the masses yet.

This is my friend's company.

http://www.bikeebike.com/

His product is pretty cool. I guess you can fit it to any bike. It's like 1000-1500 Euro. The upside to something like this over a scooter is that it's still a bike at the end of the day. You can still just pedal unassisted if you want, or even remove the e-bike stuff all together if you want. It will only be like 15 lbs heavier than your bike.

A scooter on the other hand is way bigger, way heavier, and is not as versatile as a bike.

noone1:

... It will only be like 15 lbs heavier than your bike. ...

I'm not sure a 100% weight increase qualifies for use of the word 'only'. broken heart 

Well, if it was 1 kg -> 2 kg, it would also be 100% increase...

I'd say only is appropriate given just how little it still weighs. Just lose 15 lbs and the net weight is the same :)

918 vs Rimac drag race just leaked. And it was very close, as expected...

https://youtu.be/fUTfWwBe378

918 was catching it on the last meters, in a longer distance it would win I believe.

--

J.Seven

It also had a quicker start too.. 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

vantagesc:

I never understood these electric bikes.  I suppose they allow you to get some exercise without showing up to work drenched in your own sweat due to hills or long distances. But the cost of them is 2-3x a basic scooter.  Some of them are 8k Euro which is the same as a decent motorcycle.  Cool idea, but not ready for the masses yet.

Riding on the bike path to work is the big attraction - no stop lights (goes right under the road for busy intersections) and the route is diagonal from home - shorter distance than driving and much faster at rush hour.  Motorized vehicles are not allowed (including scooters, mopeds, and motorcycles).  But e-bikes are allowed...

IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_1334-L.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688849 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408839 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255595 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234840 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773600 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM