Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Trying to decide on options - any help appreciated!

I've been thinking about my planned spec list for a new 997S. Thanks again to all of you that replied to my questions back in May. I've included a link below to that thread for those of you who are interested in that discussion:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=99662&an=0&page=5#99662

So this is what I have in mind. I'd be grateful for any thoughts/insights/suggestions/alternatives etc on my planned spec. Cheers!

997 2S coupe in GT silver with black full leather interior
    P17 Sports suspension (-20mm) with mechanical rear differential lock
    640 Sport chrono package
    XLF Sports exhaust
    405 19" Carrera Classic wheels (I'm waiting to see what the new Carrera Sport wheels look like)
    P12 Auto dimming interior & exterior mirrors with rain sensor
    635 ParkAssist
    482 Tyre pressure monitoring system
    022 Black instrument dials
    XTV Door trim in leather
    P01 Adaptive sports seats
    342 Seat heating
    XSX Seat belts in guards red
    XSC Porsche crest in head restraints
    XCL Instrument surround in aluminium look finish
    XME Rear section of centre console in exterior colour
    XX1 Floor mats (black with red edging as a Porsche Exclusive special order)
    X70 Door entry guards in stainless steel
    670 PCM Navigation module
    680 Bose sound system
    692 CDC-4 6 CD auto-changer
    666 Telephone module for PCM
    900 Factory collection 911
    Porsche Exclusive: centre console storage bin lid in standard leather with 'Carrera S' logo
    Tequipment 911 fuel filler cap with aluminium look finish
    Tequipment 911 crested valve caps
    Tequipment 911 Porsche Charge-o-mat II

NB: the following items are UK standard specification for the 997S:

567 Grey top tint on windscreen
    Full leather interior
    Clear side indicator lenses

I'm still waiting for further news on bluetooth connectivity, iPod connectivity, digital DAB radio.

Thanks for your input on this...

Finally, it's 32C and sunny here in London...

Re: Trying to decide on options - any help appreciated!

Wow, sounds perfect. Pretty much what I would choose. Only two options missing are PCCB and Powerkit which I can imagine your reasons for not putting them on the list.

The only thing that I might think about ordering is the tire pressure monitor. Have not been impressed with the cars that I have owned that had it.

Congrats easy_rider911 you have the just have options tied down im my opinion (judging by your sig, you will love the -20mm) ... now comes the wait

Quote:
    03-turbo911 said:
    The only thing that I might think about ordering is the tire pressure monitor. Have not been impressed with the cars that I have owned that had it.

03-turbo911, I have heard the same about other brands but I have Porsche's 997's version on my 997S and its simply flawless & accurate from my personal experience.
    And its important to consider that its a non retrofit option so if you don't get if from factory you won't be able to get it later anymore, thats why I took the chance without knowing if it would work well, it wasn't very expensive either.

Perfect car.
    Congrats.
    Since you've loaded you car with great options and you seem more sport orientated than confort, you might as well order powerkit and PCCB. Just my opinion.
    Also, check option like
    XTV Door trim in leather
    and stuff like that, sometimes, it's just a small part in leather and they overcharge.
    Also for the following option:
    XCL Instrument surround in aluminium look finish
    Bear in mind it's gonna contrast with the GT silver of your center console, not the same grey, could potentially look weird, one option is take the Center console in Alu design but I don't recommend it bc it's actually plastic and it looks cheap.
    An other option is to take it in leather, very nice with the stitching.
    How long's the wait?

I agree with Fanch that the Aluminum instrument surround (XCL) will clash with the GT silver center console. I got the leather center console which looks fantastic. A consideration. Another option that I really like over the stock is the leather sun visors. It tops off the full leather interior.

A pic (just ignore the coffee stain ):

GT silver!!! :

Quote:
    alin2 said:

GT silver!!! :

Alin2 you realy love that colour .

Parking assist: only if you really neeeed it. Uglifies bumper.
    Black dials: no drama, make sure you see both.
    head crestin seat: too much bizzyness to already bizzy interior.

The best option is factory collection and then a few days driving around Europe. The factory make it a great experience and are so welcoming. No comparison to collecting it locally from your OPC.

Thanks guys for your input.

Carlos, thanks man - TPMS sounds great. I always wanted it all along and actually delayed the process until it became available again! Plus your review of TPMS gave me plenty of reassurance.

Danny G & Fanch, thanks for the suggestions about PCCB and the powerkit. Sure, I'd love to choose them but it comes down to cost plus the fact that this will be my first Porsche. PCCB is still a bit too expensive for me to justify to myself although I completely respect people for choosing it if their budget can stretch that far. I think the powerkit is also just a bit too much money for only 26hp. But one day, who knows, I might add it as a retrofit if that becomes available too.

Fanch, I thought you were coming to London in July ? I still owe you a beer from the last time...Better get here quick though - my wife and I are off to the Caribbean mid July - the holiday was my way of persuading her not to exercise her veto on the car!!

BTW, thanks for the advice about XTV and XCL. I think I might drop XTV altogether. I just thought there was quite a bit of plastic where the door opener is.

As for XCL, it only occurred to me to consider it when I went to the Canary Wharf Motorexpo last week. They had a 997S Cab in arctic silver with XME and blue leather interior. I think I might choose the instrument surround in leather or if it's possible I could get the instrument surround in the same colour as the exterior paint colour. Do any of you know if that's possible?

As for the wait, in the UK, it's over 1 year for RHD models! But actually I've planned it this way so that I can take delivery hopefully with the start of the MY2007. What do you guys think of that ?

Alin2, thanks for the pictures and suggestions.

MMD, thanks for the photo. I've gotta say I'm getting tempted by the aluminium dials again. I prefer black during the daytime but there's a certain shine at night with the aluminium dials which is really attractive. As for the crest, what can I say, I just like it!

Re: ParkAssist, my wife will be driving the car too (one day) so this is more to prevent any avoidable damage to the rear bumper than an aesthetic choice on my part.

For those of you who saw the photos I posted of the new Aston Martin V8 Vantage, hope you see now that that's just something I like from afar but would never ever want to buy. For me, only a 997S will do...interesting that the DBR9 GT race car Aston Martin entered into Le Mans didn't do well...reliability problems I hear....

What's the point of having a supermodel for a girlfriend if she's always complaining of a headache ? Surely the feisty and pretty girl next door who is always ready to have fun is a much better choice ?

IMO - 1) Take off the park assist. If you're worried about your wife damaging the car, spend 30 minutes w/ her teaching her how to park the car up against a card-board box or traffic cone. Much more satisfying feeling getting it right that way. You'll save money, become better drivers and save your rear bumper from holes- Especially worth doing on a GT-SILVER car.

2) Add the Thicker steering wheel w/ smooth leather - XPA.

Rest of the car sounds awesome.

The leather rear center consule is fantastic looking. I love the stitching running along both sides. No doubt for my 997TT Cab. I'm ordering this option. I saw one in person a few weeks ago.

Great specification - quite a few things on there which I was refused when I specified my car (last year for a December 2004 delivery).

I think you were right to avoid the sunroof - I really regret it as the money could have been spent better elsewhere, and despite the 32C in London today, mine remained firmly shut.

Alu filler cap is a great idea - the standard one sucks. Park assist is good, as are the red belts.

Have you considered stainless steel door entry guards?

Quote:
    Gaz said:
    Great specification - quite a few things on there which I was refused when I specified my car (last year for a December 2004 delivery).

I think you were right to avoid the sunroof - I really regret it as the money could have been spent better elsewhere, and despite the 32C in London today, mine remained firmly shut.

Alu filler cap is a great idea - the standard one sucks. Park assist is good, as are the red belts.

Have you considered stainless steel door entry guards?

Just so that you are aware, the Aluminum LOOK gas cap is just that...aluminum looking paint on a plastic gas cap. Search "aluminum gas cap" in rennlist.com 997 forum for a thread on this incredible rip off...unless PAG has changed this option...

Thanks again guys for yet more feedback....

Stradale, I'll think again about the parkassist - believe me, I'm with you regarding how it looks...XPA: yes, that's a good suggestion - I'll have a think about that one too. The only reason why I didn't add that to my list was because I thought my wife might have difficulty with the thicker wheel - she's petite with small hands!

Gaz, cheers mate - I didn't want a sunroof because you lose headroom (I'm 6'3" so that matters to me) and it's not a see-through roof. I hardly ever use the sunroof on my BMW but it's great because it's glass so it lets loads of daylight in even if it's not a particularly sunny day. But the Porsche sunroof is metal bit of a shame really...and yes, I've already chosen X70 stainless steel door entry guards

alin2, yep, you're right the 'aluminium look' gas cap is certainly overpriced for what it is but it's a 'cosmetic enhancement' and whether you go for it or not is just down to whether one's budget stretches to it...

I've been reading the latest threads on the powerkit with interest...381hp but crucially 415NM!! maybe this is worth getting after all!!

Still sunny here in London.... hope it lasts...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Thanks again guys for yet more feedback....

I've been reading the latest threads on the powerkit with interest...381hp but crucially 415NM!! maybe this is worth getting after all!!

Still sunny here in London.... hope it lasts...

It's not so much the gain of 15 NM, it's the fact that over a range or rpm starting as low as 3000 rpm, the torque curve is flatter and about 10% higher than the standard Carrera S, it's not huge, but that's the kind of performance gain you see with a new model, not a powerkit.
    So yes, it's still expensive, granted, but when you factor in the fact that you get PSE, Porsche Warranty, more torque through the rev band and 996 GT3 mk2 performance, that's actually very sweet!
    But remember, I don't want to disappoint you, get the powerkit with your heart, not with your head, you will see minimal resale value, but who care!
    Come on, our cars will be twins!

Thanks Fanch - great advice as ever...particularly about the availability of all that extra power and torque over a broader rev/rpm range.

Sure, this is an instinctive decision I'm making with my gut and my heart so you're right, rationality is less of a factor...

Is it really worth moving up to PCCB with a 997S with powerkit? Also, how does the powerkit affect fuel consumption?

Looks like I might have to save a bit longer than I expected for this car but I'm sure the wait will be worth it!

What I know for sure is that I won't be going for a 997TT.

Resale value: I don't plan to sell for a long time so this counts for less for me...

Where's the thread for your final spec list? I'd love to take a look!

Have a great weekend guys...

My order:

997S
    Slate grey metallic
    Tinted front window (the top part)
    Anti glare mirrors with rain sensor
    Sunroof
    PCCB
    Sport chassis -20 mm (incl. rear LSD)
    Chronosport pack
    X51 power kit 381 hp (incl. Sport exhaust and sport exhaust chrome tips)
    Short shifter
    19 in wheels Carrera S (Pending on seeing the sport EVO wheels).
    Colored wheel caps
    Cruise control
    Pressure monitoring system
    Dials in black
    Adaptative sports seats
    Foot rest on driver's side in Alumminium
    Black interior all leather
    Thick sport steering wheel
    Floor mats with leather finish
    Rear center console in black leather
    Door entry sills in Aluminium
    Navigation PCM (incl MP3 reader)
    Telephone module PCM
    Bose sounds system
    6 CD charger

Wow Fanch - congratulations - your car is going to be amazing! Did you leave anything off the option list ?

Any reason why you aren't waiting for a 997TT ?

BTW, is the max speed with X51 still 182mph ? Does X51 affect fuel consumption much ? Does PCCB become more appropriate at this increased level of performance ?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Any reason why you aren't waiting for a 997TT ?

BTW, is the max speed with X51 still 182mph ? Does X51 affect fuel consumption much ? Does PCCB become more appropriate at this increased level of performance ?

997TT with similar options will be at least 40k euros more.
    Plus it's over a year's wait away, I guess I could wait, but then you spend your life waiting because there's always something better round the corner.
    I recently had the opportunity to drive a C2 and loved the feel, more "fun" IMO than my C4, so I've made my choice.
    I chose fun over power. I will probably change my mind some day but for now, I wanna give the standard 911, the purist 911, a try.
    For me, the Turbo is a missile, fastest thing from A to B, just point and shoot, you reach your own limits way before the car's (for most of us at least).
    I prefer the driving "finesse" and involvement the Carrera requires.
    GT3 would be nice, but I like the goodies (electric seats, rear seats, sunroof, Bose, etc.)

Top speed with powerkit is 187 mph.

Yes, fuel consumption will be affected by powerkit, but not by much I would think. Probably on par with a Carrera 4, in any case, not as much as a Turbo.

About PCCB, I would say, no, you don't have to have them at all. Look at the 996 Turbo, it has 420 hp, and the same brakes as the 997S and that's perfectly fine.
    However, you're better off asking RC, he's got PCCB.

He's my mentor, and it's one of the "must have" options he told me to tick on my option list, so there you go.
    BTW, the C2 I tried had PCCB and I love it, progressive feel, much more than my 996 brakes, stoping power on open roads the same I would say, and better (more neutral) handling due to reduced unsprung mass, although you'd have to drive in a sporty manner to notice that which I didn't.

Fanch, thanks for your advice...it's interesting to see your thought process in how you chose your car....now I owe you another beer

RC, all roads at rennteam lead to you...PCCB and powerkit as a combination - are you able to cast any light on this please? (I've read your previous reviews on PCCB - they were very informative).

Thanks

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that sounds like a nice machine.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

when your video coming with YOUR machine? (pse hint hint) lol just jk'ing is your baby run in yet?

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

when your video coming with YOUR machine? (pse hint hint) lol just jk'ing is your baby run in yet?

I have the web-site you sent but what do I do to get the sound from the video camera onto the web-site ? Never done anything like it before.

I put on another 200 miles this week. Approx. 1200 now. Almost there. Thinking of going to the Porsche meet at Hershey Park in PA Saturday. It's suppose to be a huge gathering. Anyone else going ?

damn stradale! you can't be that computer "handicapped" if you can use all the functions on rennteam, jst jk'ing lol! is yours a proper video camera or a digital camera that can take video clips?

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    damn stradale! you can't be that computer "handicapped" if you can use all the functions on rennteam, jst jk'ing lol! is yours a proper video camera or a digital camera that can take video clips?

LOL ! I am ! I've been a member of Rennteam for years and I just couldn't figure out how to post. But honestly my wife is the one that down loads my pictures from our camera onto a disk for me.

I really don't know what kind I have. We have a couple. I'm pretty sure one of them is digital.

Could you PM me so I don't bother the people here with OT instructions. Thanks.

Quote:
    Fanch said:

Foot rest on driver's side in Alumminium

Leather rear ctr console great choice, wish I would've ordered it.

FANCH, or anyone else... any pics of this footrest option?
    Cannot locate a pic.

I definitely want the alum dead pedal, would like to stick with factory stuff if possible.
    I checked with Ruf, they've almost completed 997 dead pedal fabrication of their own, will be $189 US...other three Ruf 997 pedals $250 US.

Sounds like a fantastic car Easy Rider. I went for the sports exhaust and TPMS when I ordered mine but they weren't ready in time. The only things I would question are the valve caps - in my experience they just get nicked, and secondly the CD changer - I never used it in my last car...

Oh, and I'd probably change the colour to Slate Grey, but GT Silver is a close second...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    482 Tyre pressure monitoring system
    Tequipment 911 crested valve caps

Unfortunately, you can't order the crested valve caps if you order TPMS. I would suggest getting option 446 wheel center set with full-color Porsche crest instead. That really makes a difference and is much more visible than the tiny valve caps.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802543 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448340 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265900 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89901 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6379 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885285 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831924 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM