Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My Cayenne Turbo S

So I just got a Cayenne Turbo S. Took delivery yesterday and woke up real early this morning due to jet lag, so what do all car guys do in that situation with a brand new car in the garage? Take it out for a drive when there is no traffic!

The default route will always be to Whistler and back as that's my gauge for rating a car.

For those that doubt a big SUV can't hang with a sports sedan on these roads, see here:

IMG_0829.JPG

The display only shows 0.1 increments, so the .9 could be a .99 and I wouldn't know it.

I had the car lowered to the 2nd lowest setting, suspension on Sports Plus and same for gearbox, man this is is unreal. I drove a couple other current gen Cayenne on this route before, one is the hybrid and the other a S. The Turbo S with the PDCC is night and day better. Chassis control is spot on, it basically corners flat and the adaptive sports seat hold me super tight so I am not trying to brace at all.

I drove the SVR on this route not long ago, I know that thing is fast, 2nd fastest on the Ring behind the Turbo S, but honestly that car handles like shit when compared with the Cayenne Turbo S. When I put the suspension setting on comfort, it also rides miles better than the SVR. 

Over the years I had taken many performance SUVs up and down this road, from Jeep SRT, ML63 to X5M, X6M, and the G63 (not quite a performance SUV in the common sense), the SVR and this thing is head and shoulders above all. I guess it should be when it cost so much more. 

The sound, well it sounded glorious inside. not too loud but loud enough to hear what it is going on. This turbo-ed car sounds nice that's for sure, much much better than the 911 Turbo S I just drove in Europe. Full throttle shifts are just mental! 

I believe the length of exhaust has something to do with how a turbo-ed car sounds. In a front engine car there are more tubing to vibrate, even a mid engine car can have longish exhaust for the resonance, but for the rear engine 911s the exhaust length is so short that Porsche really can't do much. The SVR is still louder inside, and quite possibly louder outside, with and without sports exhaust on. My wife thinks the SVR sounds sexier, I think she is correct. 

Of course it is no sports car, but I am pretty sure if I drive my old S8 I can't get away from it, it is that good.

Engine has basically no lag, even when off boost the power is still there, advantage of a big displacement engine. Max boost I saw 13psi, but even when it was at 4-5psi I can already feel some serious power coming.

IMG_0814.JPG

And yes, I took delivery inside the shop. Dealer told me this is the most expensive Cayenne Turbo S they have sold (I did check all the boxes) so the car was not kept in the showroom.

And yes, that is a 911R on the hoist. It was supposed to be delivered last week but it didn't pass PDI, something to do with the coolant level. 

--

Re: My Cayenne Turbo S

Oh and a close up of the 918 Spyder door sill. Lighted.

IMG_0822.JPG

--

One more thing, this is the g-meter screen before i reset it. So I guess it was straight from the factory test drive in Leipzig. Don't ask me how they got a 1.6g launch.

and yup, 3:40am this morning when I took off.

IMG_0827.JPG

--

Brilliant! The car, the configuration, the first impressions. I love everything about this facelifted Cayenne. More pics or even some clip is more than welcome.

1.6g launch sounds like they dropped it at some point :)

Great report!

very nice.kiss

I won't spend so much to get a Cayenne turbo S, but a turbo or GTS is do-able...

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Kimi:

1.6g launch sounds like they dropped it at some point :)

Great report!

Dropping the car would have resulted in an acceleration of just 1.0g, by the very definition of "g".

To achieve 1.6g, the driver offloading it from the ro-ro ship would need to do a full-throttle launch start down a very steep unloading ramp.
    --

fritz

Actually up, not down, going downhill decreases the acceleration Gs. smiley

--

i certainly agree that the CTS is the best SUV out there.....I still find the SVR more appealing if not looking for the last bit in perfoarmance.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Whoopsy:

Actually up, not down, going downhill decreases the acceleration Gs. smiley

Right and wrong at the same time.
    Whilst a car driving down a ramp actually does accelerate, the g sensor used would not detect the component of that acceleration in the direction of the gravitational force, due to the way the sensor works. So the g sensor display in a dropped car in free fall and actually accelerating vertically at 1.0g would show a reading of 0g.
    Up until the point of impact.

PS: Has anyone else fiound that Rennteam Smileys no longer work on an iPad after updating to iOS 10.x?
    --

fritz

Great report, do you think it´s worth 100K more than SVR?

--

J.Seven

fritz:
    PS: Has anyone else fiound that Rennteam Smileys no longer work on an iPad after updating to iOS 10.x?

Yes. Smileys no longer work from iOS 10... Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    fritz:
    PS: Has anyone else found that Rennteam Smileys no longer work on an iPad after updating to iOS 10.x?

Yes. Smileys no longer work from iOS 10... Smiley

Thanks for the confirmation.  Smiley

(I'm writing this on a PC:SmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley).

--

fritz

J.Seven:

That's the 100k question isn't it?Smiley

Granted, I have about 20k worth of stuff that's just superficial, like the wheels, running boards, skid plates, extra leather and Exclusive stuff, so the real difference is around 80k.

To me the extra 80k difference was mostly in the interior material usage, fit and finish, infotainment system. But those things don't add up to 80k. 

Whatever the CTTS has, the SVR has it too. Strong engine, checked. Mega glass roof, checked. Sports seats, checked. Trick air suspension, checked. Room for 5, checked. Supportive sports seats, checked. Great gearbox, checked. AWD, checked. SVR is roomier inside, but then again it is also 6 inches wider.

I think the SVR is a great bargain, in fact, if it is 20k more expensive I would still buy one, provided they use better grade leather inside. 

So the answer to your question is that no, the Cayenne is not worth 100k more by itself. The much more prestigious Porsche badge is what makes it command the price it commands. Barely. 

--

Very cool car Whoopsy, always secretely jealous when I see (and hear) one on the road!

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Very nice !1 Another black and yellow beast. Congrats and thanks for continue to share your garage with us  wink

Whoopsy:
    J.Seven:

That's the 100k question isn't it?Smiley

Granted, I have about 20k worth of stuff that's just superficial, like the wheels, running boards, skid plates, extra leather and Exclusive stuff, so the real difference is around 80k.

To me the extra 80k difference was mostly in the interior material usage, fit and finish, infotainment system. But those things don't add up to 80k. 

Whatever the CTTS has, the SVR has it too. Strong engine, checked. Mega glass roof, checked. Sports seats, checked. Trick air suspension, checked. Room for 5, checked. Supportive sports seats, checked. Great gearbox, checked. AWD, checked. SVR is roomier inside, but then again it is also 6 inches wider.

I think the SVR is a great bargain, in fact, if it is 20k more expensive I would still buy one, provided they use better grade leather inside. 

So the answer to your question is that no, the Cayenne is not worth 100k more by itself. The much more prestigious Porsche badge is what makes it command the price it commands. Barely. 

The handling on the SVR is nowhere near as precise in my experience, and the ceramic breaks on the Cayenne are far better than the SVR. 

crayphile:
    The handling on the SVR is nowhere near as precise in my experience, and the ceramic breaks on the Cayenne are far better than the SVR. 

The Cayenne is not just more precise. It's day and night. If I am on a budget I'd rather get a basic Cayenne than top of the line RR. And I don't even want to start comparing the reliability and the cockpit ergonomics...

The Cayenne has reached an amazing refinement level but also an amazing price level. angry

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Herbaliser:
    crayphile:

The Cayenne is not just more precise. It's day and night. If I am on a budget I'd rather get a basic Cayenne than top of the line RR. And I don't even want to start comparing the reliability and the cockpit ergonomics...

Agreed  - I  was just being polite Smiley

Someone's got ya beat, Whoopsy. 309K USD Cayenne. No idea how it's possible, but...

https://manhattan.porschedealer.com/inventory/Porsche+Cayenne+Turbo+S+New+York+New+York+2016+Exterior+Paint+to+Sample++Non-Metal...

Congrats Nick - beautiful car with amazing details. Love the entry 918 entry panels, great idea!

Enjoy that beast!

Congrats ! Great car, even better report ! 

Indeed enjoy the beast !

Cheers,

Mark

--

Cayenne Turbo, where distances become memories very quickly indecision

How about more pictures, Nick? We have barely seen your Cayenne. blush

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Cause I have been driving it and not looking at it 

It has close to 6000km on it now, and I just took delivery end of Sept and I was gone most of November. 

Just did a round trip to the interiors to deliver parts for my ClubSport.

IMG_2172.JPG

PMNA just sent the spare package to me, 4 extra wheels, 8 brake disks and 24 extra brake pads. The quick refuel bottle  I ordered also arrived.

IMG_2182.JPG

Car is on the winter wheel/tire set right now, that's why it has the Spyder wheels and not the sports classic wheels as delivered. 

IMG_2191.JPG

Roads like these is how I can get the damn thing so dirty haha

I will be very honest, I think right now I loved the Cayenne more than the FF. The FF might go soon. 

--

It is getting cold here as well :-) no need for winter tires in Holland though.

Great car !

--

Cayenne Turbo, where distances become memories very quickly indecision

Whoopsy:

Just did a round trip to the interiors to deliver parts for my ClubSport.

IMG_2172.JPG

Now that is the proper usage of the Cayenne. Smiley Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688954 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408904 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255619 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234878 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65459 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857732 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773679 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM