Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997s Clutch is Gone

I have a 997s with 1300 miles. Was driving in moderate traffic and the clutch stuck to the floor after I changed gear. It came back up a little and I was able to put my foot underneath the pedal and force it up. Tried to move off and the clutch was burning and slipping big time. Parked car side of road and called Porsche Assistance. Porsche called me today and said that the clutch was burned out and needed a new one. Cost around Pounds1300 GBP. It is not covered under warranty because they cannot find a fault and that I burned it out? Any one out there had any clutch problems? If a clutch has been burned out after 1300 miles the tyres and brakes should also be pretty worn indicating that car has had a bit of a thrashing. My car has none of this. I will wait for a further response from Porsche on Monday on the final outcome.

Re: 997s Clutch is Gone

It really sounds strange after 1300 mls but it can happen if you accelerate too much from standstill and let the clutch come very slowly. Have you noticed a weird "burning plastic" smell shortly before this happened? Maybe you accidentally revved the engine to high and let the clutch come too slowly.
    It happened to other people before. But I suppose you did that several times (maybe without noticing), I doubt that the clutch is gone after a one-time drag race from a red light.

ash they have to be joking !!!!!!!!!

1300 miles and its not their problem? Explain your car history detailing how long you have been driving manuals and how many miles you did on each clutch and then kick up the worlds biggest stink.

If this happened to me I would stick the car outside their doors in a damn inconvenient place and tell each and every customer that came in what a bunch of knobs Porsche are.

Of course only do this once they have definitely said its not covered.

No burning smells, but when the car was parked at the side of the road the smell would have knocked you out. I have also had a 996 c2 and covered over 20k without a problem.

Sounds like there was something defective (maybe with the hydraulic system - master or slave cylinder). Make them investigate the mechanism more...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Sounds like there was something defective (maybe with the hydraulic system - master or slave cylinder). Make them investigate the mechanism more...

Good call Grant , these dealers take the [censored]..

Dont accept this ash...

throt..

Good idea, i am hoping that it is a hydraulic failure that lead to the burn out and not me at the traffic lights. Time will tell. If I need to pay for a new clutch, I will be cancelling my order for the 997TT and i will be selling the 997s also. But what could I replace it with?

Sounds like BS to me, if you abused that clutch the pressure plate and flywheel would show definite particular signs of prolonged heat stress and gouging from horriffic abuse. Yes they might look bad now but they probably don't look the same way as a clutch that had been typically abused.

Like forensic science, look at the microscopic evidence and get incontrovertible proof.

Hopefully you get this resolved at P's expense. Let us know.

Btw, I find it difficult to get used to the 997's clutch. I mean it seems to be a fine line between not reving too much and the car seeming like it wants to stall. And, if I'm unable to hear the engine(music turned up etc) I seem to easily over rev. Is there any particular trick to it? I know RC mentioned that RPM's of about 1K are ideal but I find it tough to accomplish that. Any thoughts? Sorry to hijack but tricks on being easy on the clutch may be helpful to others.....

i accidentally burnt my clutch a little bit when reversing out the driveway, i could smell the "burnt plastic", but my clutch is still ok

Quote:
    ash said:
    I have a 997s with 1300 miles. Was driving in moderate traffic and the clutch stuck to the floor after I changed gear. It came back up a little and I was able to put my foot underneath the pedal and force it up. Tried to move off and the clutch was burning and slipping big time. Parked car side of road and called Porsche Assistance. Porsche called me today and said that the clutch was burned out and needed a new one. Cost around Pounds1300 GBP. It is not covered under warranty because they cannot find a fault and that I burned it out? Any one out there had any clutch problems? If a clutch has been burned out after 1300 miles the tyres and brakes should also be pretty worn indicating that car has had a bit of a thrashing. My car has none of this. I will wait for a further response from Porsche on Monday on the final outcome.

Hi Ash,

My clutch was dead or at least dying after 3000 miles. The dealer tried to say that i wasn't clutching properly. I've been driving a 'manual' transmission for almost 20 years and NEVER burned a clutch out. In the end they decided to replace under warranty and said they were doing me a favor 'cause the clutch is not covered.

I also had that burning smell at standstill. I think there is something defective with the 997 clutch!!!

Quote:
    ash said:
    No burning smells, but when the car was parked at the side of the road the smell would have knocked you out. I have also had a 996 c2 and covered over 20k without a problem.

You have summed it up in that little quote....... Tell them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I have never heard of an enthusiast killing a clutch in that amount of time.

When I was a student I bought a Jetta with a slipping clutch at 40,000 miles and I sold it at 65,000 miles with the clutch in thhe same condition so this crap about 1500 miles is ridiculous.

As for alternatives I have no idea why you bought your car in the first place but maybe an M3 CSL or a Noble GT3R might offer something similar if it was an out and out performance thing?

Or the Cayman S which the more I examine could be a very serious alternative?

1300 miles!! Ash, the dealer is full of hogwash, rubbish, bulldonkey.

I want to add my voice to the others above.
    If the dealer does not IMMEDIATELY acquiesce on covering the repair at NO COST to you,
    spend a half-day Monday phoning and writing, right up the Porsche corporate hierarchy-- all the way to CEO Dr. Weideking's office.

If the dealer does not propose a satisfactory resolution (i.e., FULL WARRANTY REPAIR with loaner vehicle)
    by Monday morning, simply explain calmly and concisely to the dealer that you plan to do exactly as described above,
    as you are not culpable for major component failure
    at this early stage--if in fact you have not driven the vehicle in some inconceivably aggravating manner.

I fear that any hesitation on your part in requesting immediate warranty coverage for this item
    may be construed by the dealer as their opportunity for 'negotiation' with you on the cost of repair.

Correct me if my comprehension is in error,
    but the dealer could probably read your car's DME (digital motor electronics) unit to confirm the absence of any extreme driving technique.

Realizing that you are probably in a tight spot, maybe captive to only a single Porsche dealer
    for a very great distance, and understandably you don't want to create bad blood; but what's right is RIGHT.
    Let us know what develops.

Come on! Even on my old Renault 150K miles and still the sa;e clutch. Porsche tend to eat them faster but this is ridiculous...
    Even on a 964, given you drive correctly - like matching the revs on downshifts - you can do 60k miles...and they have improved since...

Quote:
    ash said:

My clutch smelled that way several times and it still works perfectly. You can't really destroy the clutch after 1300 mls, unless you really want it.
    My clutch has been exchanged due to a weird howling noise at low temperatures. It was covered by warranty.
    I would just wait to hear what your dealer has to say. And if your dealer says no warranty, you may want to talk to somebody from Porsche directly (mentioning that 997 TT order would help... ).

Ash... Sorry to hear about the car and as a replacement before your 997TT the M3 CSL may get you close to what you're looking for.

On the other hand PLEASE DO NOT let the dealers slither themselves out of this one, a few phone calls, email, and visit to the managers office would get you going in the right direction.

Be calm and FIRM at the same time... Good Luck

toOner.

Hey Ash , my clutch is not gone yet but here is my story :

So at the stoplight I put my car in first gear and keep my clutch pedal depressed. When the stoplight turns green I rease the rpm to about 2000 - 3000rpm and FULLY release the clutch pedal . At the next moment I think I'm spinning my wheels as I accelerate not fast at all . Now my engine is at about 5000 rpm . So I assume my wheels are spinning so I better shift into second gear. Guess what : the clutch pedal is still on the floor !!!

I had this on 3 different occasions. My clutch is still fine but I think I better go to the dealer.

Good luck with yours!

Hi guys, thank you all for you comments, all have been noted and I will take a firm action with them tomorrow. Got a phone call Sat morning to say that they will be investigating the clutch further and would like my permission to do to, in that fact if the worn clutch it releated to my driving, I will incur an additional cost for them to investigate the failure in detail. They are taking the [censored]. No matter the outcome, I will not be paying for a new clutch. Finger crossed for tomorrow!

Sorry to read about the problem....on page 10 of the 2005 multi-car brochure it says the following under the 911 Carrera S section: "The manual gear box is mated to a high-performance self-adjusting clutch that reduces release loads and thus minimizes clutch wear." Might be something to point out when you revisit the dealer.

So any news?

Nothing yet guys, still waiting to hear back. Hopefully will hear back today!

You should ask them to show the clutch to you. If there has been damage as they say you will be able to see this. Look for anything other than a burnt clutch. I have seen brake fluid, coolant and other things penetrate the clutch because of problems. Even if there is a burnt clutch ask to speak to your district service representative. It is possible to burn a clutch is short order, but not realistic.

Spoke with Porsche just now. The are looking into the hydraulics and can see some kind of failure. I explained that the hyd failing led to the clutch burn out. I will call them in a in 2 hours for the final result.

They better apologise for trying to blame you inmediately and try to make you pay for repairs directly, the way you described the incident it was obvious there was some type of fault. I swear some delaers you hear about are plain arseholes...

Quote:
    ash said:
    Spoke with Porsche just now. The are looking into the hydraulics and can see some kind of failure. I explained that the hyd failing led to the clutch burn out. I will call them in a in 2 hours for the final result.

What a bunch of tossers, I hope they eat some humble pie.

how did you get on with the clutch?mine so far is fine and i am just down the road in ballymena

Latest is that the costs will be shared 50/50. Even though there was some sort failure the clutch lining was totally worn. I told them no matter the outcome, I will be paying a big ZERO. All parts have been ordered. Car has been with them for over a week now.

Still waiting on an outcome. Looks like I will have to pay up! They say it is not a manufacture defect. the clutch was so supposed to have exploded and was in pieces.

ash, my clutch stuck once like yours but I noticed it immediately and forced it back up and it came back up easily. Then I depressed again to see if the problem of sticking to the floor would come up again but thankfully it did not. However, I will definitely have the dealer check it out.

Quote:
    ash said:
    Still waiting on an outcome. Looks like I will have to pay up! They say it is not a manufacture defect. the clutch was so supposed to have exploded and was in pieces.

I have to say that if I had been treated the same way you have by your dealer it would be me exploding not the clutch

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752795 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430453 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258461 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255392 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868060 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801647 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM