Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Had to take a taxi back home...why?find out.

My last car was stolen and it made me realise how important it is to have a Tracker device. In the UK, thieves often park the car in a street near to where they stole it to establish whether the car has a Tracker device or not - my last car didn't have one and I always regretted it. Once they've given it a few days, they then return to the car and get rid of it if it's still there.

Really sorry to hear about this - do you have a steering lock? Whenever I park my car on the street I put my Disklok on - it's a PITA but it's very hard to get off and more often than not, the thief will just move onto another car that can be more easily stolen.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    So how secure ARE our P-Cars then?

I assume that whoever took the car was sufficiently skilled to be able to remove any tracking device fitted as well?

I naively thought that while it might be possible to gain access to the cabin, the imobiliser would be too hard to get around, and the car would have to be taken with the keys.

A REAL professional needs a few minutes to steal a 997, they're using some sort of cloned black box.
    I think that our friend from Italy has been watched for some time, maybe even somebody from his dealer was involved in that.
    I doubt that the car goes to the Middle East, italian police is pretty tough. I think that whoever stole the car will rip out the parts and sell them as spare parts. Much less risk involved, the parts can even be brought outside the country without attracting too much attention and nobody actually knows where they're coming from (with the exception of the engine and gearbox maybe).

But it is suprising that a 911 has been stolen in Italy: usually, only Diesel cars are stolen and the most beloved car for car thieves in Europe seems to be the BMW X5.
    Never actually heard from friends or relatives of a stolen 911 or Cayenne but of course it happens.

Quote:
    sertag said:
    thank you carlos...

you're right.eastern europe or middle eastern counties.

I am sorry to hear about your story. Check with the maffia, local junkyard or the local Italian kids, they might be responsable for steelling it.

Damn, I would be pissed off.

In Belgium depending on what car you're driving (+ 50.000 EUR), the insurance company oblige you to install a CJ1/CJ2 (and) CJ3 system (anti carjacking/homejacking systems). Otherwise, no insurance. My brother installed a CJ2 VIASAT system in his 996 (2004). The car is constantly monitored by the security company. They have a direct link with the police/911. At any time he is able to track or lock his car by mobile phone. When someone opens the door, hood, trunk, the car sends out a signal to the central unit. When the driver starts the engine he needs to fill in a code on a small keyboard within 30 seconds. The VIASAT unit also has specific 'situation' buttons, has a crash sensor onboard etc...

Do you use similar systems in Italy?
    Probably no system is 'waterproof' but I assume it helps.

Re: Had to take a taxi back home...why? find out.

Tragic - I feel for you man.

Hope you're insurance softens the blow but man I would be so pis*ed off if that happened to me.

Quote:
    Robert2005 said:
    Damn, I would be pissed off.

In Belgium depending on what car you're driving (+ 50.000 EUR), the insurance company oblige you to install a CJ1/CJ2 (and) CJ3 system (anti carjacking/homejacking systems). Otherwise, no insurance. My brother installed a CJ2 VIASAT system in his 996 (2004). The car is constantly monitored by the security company. They have a direct link with the police/911. At any time he is able to track or lock his car by mobile phone. When someone opens the door, hood, trunk, the car sends out a signal to the central unit. When the driver starts the engine he needs to fill in a code on a small keyboard within 30 seconds. The VIASAT unit also has specific 'situation' buttons, has a crash sensor onboard etc...

Do you use similar systems in Italy?
    Probably no system is 'waterproof' but I assume it helps.

Just read on the VIASAT.be site that the VIASAT system has been developed in....Italy. More than 80.000 customers in Italy alone. (www.viasatonline.com) Did you have one?

Very sorry to hear of this my fellow countryman. This is one of my worst fears thankfully you and your girl were not involved as I've heard of some terrible stories of people getting carjacked. Grazie a Dio!

By the way the car thefts in Vancouver are down 15% in a very short time period so hopefully this bait system will be implemented everywhere. buona fortuna with your replacement.

ciao

This may be a complete waste of time, but if you have some free time, maybe you could check to see if there is any local business with street surveillance cameras. Another long shot would be to check large parking lots. Whereas, thieves steal cars, and park them for a few days, to see if a theft transponder has been activated.

Sorry for your loss.

John

Dude, I'm so sorry. That really sucks. But, on the other hand, you weren't carjacked (Thank God) and you have insurance to build a...brand NEW 997S!

Sorry to hear that

Quote:
    alin2 said:
    Dude, I'm so sorry. That really sucks. But, on the other hand, you weren't carjacked (Thank God) and you have insurance to build a...brand NEW 997S!

Brand new definitely ,, you dont want your baby back now these punks just abuse them as soon as they get in it..

Sorry to hear this..

throt..

first of all i don't have a tracking devise.
    2nd i don't use a sterring wheel blocker.just lock the car with the key.

RC,
    why are you so surprised that a 911 is been stolen in italy.do you think italy is some sort of paradise or "neverland"?2 years ago a guy jumped in my car at a red traffic light to rip my rolex from me.but he had bad luck...

this morning i gave to my insurance the invoice (112.400,00 Euro ).i will get full refund check in 30 days from now.

amen.

Quote:
    sertag said:
    first of all i don't have a tracking devise.
    2nd i don't use a sterring wheel blocker.just lock the car with the key.

RC,
    why are you so surprised that a 911 is been stolen in italy.do you think italy is some sort of paradise or "neverland"?2 years ago a guy jumped in my car at a red traffic light to rip my rolex from me.but he had bad luck...

this morning i gave to my insurance the invoice (112.400,00 Euro ).i will get full refund check in 30 days from now.

amen.

That's arranged quickly? So they don't further investigate the case together with the local police?

robert2005,

if they find the car in 30 days from theft date they will fix the car and give it back to me.but if the car has more than 10000 Euro of damage i can choose to get the money or a brand new one.my choice.

Wow, thats some rough luck sertag. Maybe you should change your name from sertag to Sir-mark.

Hopefully we'll see you back in 30 days.

jb

Quote:
    sertag said:
    robert2005,

if they find the car in 30 days from theft date they will fix the car and give it back to me.but if the car has more than 10000 Euro of damage i can choose to get the money or a brand new one.my choice.

Great, nice deal. Would a track/block system be an option now? I can't imagine the insurance company will agree next time.. .

my name is just fine as it is...

i will keep hanging around here every day ,i just love this forum.but...not so sure if in 30 days what car i will be driving.

i was thinking to wait and try the c4s or c2s with 380hp.
    i know the c4s is on sale from november.have no idea about c2s powekit.any help?RC...

sertag - I'm glad that the insurance company is playing ball. When my car was stolen, at first it seemed like the insurance company believed I had arranged for it to be stolen - I had to send them pictures of me with the car for example! They didn't seem so bothered when I was paying them Pounds1.5k a year in premiums...

Just make sure that on your next one you get a tracking device and a steering lock. It's worth it firstly from a peace of mind point of view, secondly because it genuinely does reduce the number of thefts (cos they get caught) and thirdly it reduces your premium - if you end up claiming the full cost of the car, surely your premium will rise?

Anyway, really feel for you mate - it's awful when these things happen, but like others have said, at least you or your girlfriend were not hurt.

Quote:
    sertag said:
    robert2005,

Only 10000 Euro damage? That's nothing. You have a quality insurance policy! Unless the car is totalled you'd have no chance of getting a new car from any company I've worked with with in the US.

Question::

Never had a tracker before , so would a thief know you have a tracker fitted thus to deter them..Is there some kind of etching or sticker to let them know of your device..

Getting the vehicle back after its been stolen would not be the same as before after knowing someone else has been in it , its off putting..

throt..

Sounds like great insurance. Sometimes, after such a large payout, the company will deam you too high risk and refuse to offer you anymore coverage....
    Here's hoping that you don't get the car back...if you know what I mean.

sertag,

Buona fortuna con la polizia...

Since we're on this subject, what do you guys think is the best defense system for cars? I've heard good things about aut-exec gas cuts for the ignition, as well as viper systems, but nothing is fool-proof. What do you all think is the most reasonable (cost and effort wise) solution?

p.s. sorry sertag, I can empathize with you. My best friend's H2 was stolen from his condo's garage (most probably because he had custom 23s on it, draws some attention). The worst part is that he thinks it was an inside job (valet guys, who had valet key) and the condo is refusing to show the video surveillance tapes! Infuriating!!

but hurst, wouldn't because it has custom 23's on it, it would be make more easily recognizable by police?

Very unfortunate sertag. Glad that your insurence company will reimburse you for the loss.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    but hurst, wouldn't because it has custom 23's on it, it would be make more easily recognizable by police?

Surely if they were attempting to keep the car. 99% sure it was chop-shopped. The rims themselves could sell for 4k because they were worth 12k legit. That's why, it's like a bonus for the thief

Quote:
    throt said:

Never had a tracker before , so would a thief know you have a tracker fitted thus to deter them..Is there some kind of etching or sticker to let them know of your device..

Getting the vehicle back after its been stolen would not be the same as before after knowing someone else has been in it , its off putting..

throt..

You are actually encouraged not to indicate that your car has a tracker. The system works best like this because then the thief does not know whether to spend time looking for the tracker or not. If he knows there is a tracker, there are probably no more than 10 places in a car like the 997 where it could be hidden. It takes time to look in all these places so they prefer to park it up somewhere and wait to see if the car is picked up. In the UK, this has generally resulted in a fall in luxury car theft because invariably they have trackers on them, but the thief is never 100% sure.

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    Quote:
    throt said:

throt..

You are actually encouraged not to indicate that your car has a tracker. The system works best like this because then the thief does not know whether to spend time looking for the tracker or not. If he knows there is a tracker, there are probably no more than 10 places in a car like the 997 where it could be hidden. It takes time to look in all these places so they prefer to park it up somewhere and wait to see if the car is picked up. In the UK, this has generally resulted in a fall in luxury car theft because invariably they have trackers on them, but the thief is never 100% sure.

Same in Belgium, as said all luxury cars > 60.000 EUR need to install a tracker system/insurance company policy. Result, total premium has gone down with 10-15%.

Montreal is the same for expensive cars. All high end cars require a tracker device by the insurance companies. No tracking device, no insurance. Auto theft of new 911's is almost at zero.

There are no markings that the car has or does not have a tracker. But I am sure that the car crooks know that they do.

At first I did not want a tracking device in my car, but now that I have it, I don't think about it at all. It give me piece of mind when I park my car as I know it will be still there when I get back.

i cant believe that, i very often park my car in that spot as well... those guys are pros, maybe the next baby should get the gps tracker on it. but i guess they can even crack that unfortunately..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778040 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442021 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262939 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261182 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85441 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5692 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880851 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816421 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM